IRS didn't get 2020 tax return - but got check in same envelope

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
michaeljc70

IRS didn't get 2020 tax return - but got check in same envelope

Post by michaeljc70 »

The subject pretty much says it. I got a letter today saying the IRS didn't get our 2020 tax return. However, they cashed and credited the check that was in the same envelope. Hard to believe that it takes them almost a year to notify you of this. I guess I will send the tax return again. I am wondering if other people had this happen to them.

I always e-file, but in 2020 H&R Block tax software had an issue and I had to override a field which kept me from e-filing (which I don't quite get why).
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jebmke

Re: IRS didn't get 2020 tax return - but got check in same envelope

Post by jebmke »

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=369013&newpost=6480 ... ead#unread

Join the party. You and millions of others.

You would have filed 2020 less than a year ago, btw.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
capran

Post by capran »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:02 pm The subject pretty much says it. I got a letter today saying the IRS didn't get our 2020 tax return. However, they cashed and credited the check that was in the same envelope. Hard to believe that it takes them almost a year to notify you of this. I guess I will send the tax return again. I am wondering if other people had this happen to them.

I always e-file, but in 2020 H&R Block tax software had an issue and I had to override a field which kept me from e-filing (which I don't quite get why).
Thanks for the heads up. Guess I won't get too freaked out if we get a similar letter, as we also filed on paper and the IRS cashed our check. Pretty bizarre times!
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:02 pm The subject pretty much says it. I got a letter today saying the IRS didn't get our 2020 tax return. However, they cashed and credited the check that was in the same envelope. Hard to believe that it takes them almost a year to notify you of this. I guess I will send the tax return again. I am wondering if other people had this happen to them.

Did you get a CP80 notice? A lot of these are going out as part of automated mailings. This likely happened because they processed your check but they have not yet processed your paper return. Pre-pandemic, this would have meant that they lost your return. In 2022, it just means the return is still sitting in the queue for a human being to process it. If this applies to you and you call them, they will tell you to ignore the notice.

You are right that H&R Block will not efile a return with an override. In the current climate, I, personally, would not send a paper return because of a bug in the Block software. If applicable, I would contact Block or post on this forum to make sure there is not an alternative to the override or a workaround for it. Alternatively, I would go the extra effort and use Free Fillable Forms or see if TurboTax avoids the issue. Hope TY2021 is better.
Topic Author
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Katietsu wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:51 pm

Did you get a CP80 notice? A lot of these are going out as part of automated mailings. This likely happened because they processed your check but they have not yet processed your paper return. Pre-pandemic, this would have meant that they lost your return. In 2022, it just means the return is still sitting in the queue for a human being to process it. If this applies to you and you call them, they will tell you to ignore the notice.

You are right that H&R Block will not efile a return with an override. In the current climate, I, personally, would not send a paper return because of a bug in the Block software. If applicable, I would contact Block or post on this forum to make sure there is not an alternative to the override or a workaround for it. Alternatively, I would go the extra effort and use Free Fillable Forms or see if TurboTax avoids the issue. Hope TY2021 is better.
Yes, it is a CP80. So, you are saying I can probably just wait and this should resolve itself?

The override involved a Covid penalty free IRA withdrawal with a partial payback. Probably something that didn't affect many people. It could have been user error....but it was the only way I found to make it work.

EDIT: I've reported a bug to HRB for 2021. The PTC calculation on my return is only correct if I do the healthcare interview every time I open the return. Otherwise my refund is off by $6k. Hopefully they get it fixed.
DIFAR31

Post by DIFAR31 »

Katietsu wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:51 pm Alternatively, I would go the extra effort and use Free Fillable Forms or see if TurboTax avoids the issue. Hope TY2021 is better.
Free File Fillable Forms isn't starting out so hot this year...

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=367789
Chicago60

Post by Chicago60 »

Same thing happened to us. We received the Notice about 2 weeks ago. We pointed out in our response that the Service cashed the check that was included in the written return we mailed. The Notice requested a new signed copy of the return. We sent a copy of the Return as filed, as well as a new copy of the 1040 with a new original signature, as requested.
Nestegg_User

Post by Nestegg_User »

{deleted}
Last edited by Nestegg_User on Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:17 pm
Katietsu wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:51 pm

Yes, it is a CP80. So, you are saying I can probably just wait and this should resolve itself?

The override involved a Covid penalty free IRA withdrawal with a partial payback. Probably something that didn't affect many people. It could have been user error....but it was the only way I found to make it work.

Yes, it should resolve itself. The IRS is reported to have a backlog of 10 million 2020 tax returns currently.

I would not have considered the Covid withdrawal and partial payback to be enough of a niche issue that Block would ignore it. But I have not used Block in several years. I abandoned them after my niche issue one year would have required an override and paper filing. LOL.

As much as I hated to go to TurboTax, it is a superior product with much less bugs.🪳