Quick spousal SS question

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
mtnlover

Quick spousal SS question

Post by mtnlover »

Here's the situation: DH and I both born before 1954. DH higher earner by far for most of our 45+ years of marriage.

Following advice, I applied for and received SS benefit on my own record at FRA, DH got a small spousal benefit on my record.

DH has just turned 70, applied on his own record, and has received notice that his benefit has been changed accordingly. A significant increase. As part of the application, he put in the notes that he wanted me to receive the spousal benefit under his record.

I've checked mysocialsecurity online, and see no indication that I will receive a bump in benefits based on a spousal under DH's record. He earned much, much more than I did over a much longer career, so I think half of his FRA would be still higher than my own benefit. (It is my understanding that the calculation would be: Half of DH FRA benefit - my own benefit= x, so x is the amount of increase I am due, right?)

My question: Do I have to separately apply to SS under DH's record in order to access the spousal benefit?

Re: Quick spousal SS question

Post by 123 »

grandmacassie wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:43 pm ...My question: Do I have to separately apply to SS under DH's record in order to access the spousal benefit?
Yes, you have to apply for the spousal benefit.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

I think that the only way that someone else could apply on your behalf was if they had the legal status to do so. And my understanding, from assorted reading here on BH, is that it's not a quick process. And IIRC, you'd need to be unable to act on your own behalf (but that might not be accurate; we've not needed to go that route).

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

grandmacassie wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:43 pm(It is my understanding that the calculation would be: Half of DH FRA benefit - my own benefit= x, so x is the amount of increase I am due, right?)
This is correct because you applied at FRA. If one applied before FRA (for others who may be reading this thread), there would be a reduction in X that corresponds, dollar-for-dollar, with the reduction of one's personal benefit below PIA due to early claiming.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
Topic Author
mtnlover

Post by mtnlover »

Thanks for the responses. Here's an update. I attempted twice to apply on-line at mysocialsecurity website. The site wouldn't let me get past the first page, citing some info that I entered that didn't agree with their records. I had only answered two questions: that I am not disabled and that I am not visually impaired. The site said I had to call.

So I called, waited about a half-hour before a real person picked up. (Not so bad, really) The nice gentleman took all the information, asked a lot of identifying questions, looked up my record, then DH's record, then said, "Yes, you would get a higher benefit on a spousal benefit under your husband's record."

But he couldn't make that happen. He said that my local SS office would have to call me and verify a few things. The earliest phone appointment available is MARCH 22!

So I'll be waiting almost another two months. Slow, but we'll git 'er done!
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

grandmacassie wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 3:48 pm Thanks for the responses. Here's an update. I attempted twice to apply on-line at mysocialsecurity website. The site wouldn't let me get past the first page, citing some info that I entered that didn't agree with their records. I had only answered two questions: that I am not disabled and that I am not visually impaired. The site said I had to call.

So I called, waited about a half-hour before a real person picked up. (Not so bad, really) The nice gentleman took all the information, asked a lot of identifying questions, looked up my record, then DH's record, then said, "Yes, you would get a higher benefit on a spousal benefit under your husband's record."

But he couldn't make that happen. He said that my local SS office would have to call me and verify a few things. The earliest phone appointment available is MARCH 22!

So I'll be waiting almost another two months. Slow, but we'll git 'er done!
We did all of this online, but the order for me (lower earning spouse) was the other way.
First, I got spousal, and later, switched to own, for the max per age 70 amount.

I found this:

https://www.ssa.gov/benefits/forms/

It seems to indicate that this can be done online, but perhaps the particular order you are doing isn't available that way?

"You can apply online for Retirement or spouse's benefits or continue an application you already started."

Perhaps follow that and see if there is a way to do it online?

We each did need to get a call back to verify what we were doing/what we wanted, and we were impressed by the knowledge (and attitude - good for once!) of the rep, each time.
Maybe that is the same call you are now scheduled to get, in which case looking for a way to do it online isn't likely to help now.

OTOH, with all the Covid disruptions, maybe just under 2 months isn't horrible?
Perhaps they can start the benefits as of the date you contacted them?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
dink2win

Post by dink2win »

I thought they changed the rules so couples cannot do this anymore ...
OnTrack

Post by OnTrack »

dink2win wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:44 pm I thought they changed the rules so couples cannot do this anymore ...
They were both born before 1954. The rules for deemed filing at or beyond full retirement age apply only to people born in 1954 or later.