CP80 - IRS Notice "Credit on account: $7372.00"

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Mr. Digweed

CP80 - IRS Notice "Credit on account: $7372.00"

Post by Mr. Digweed »

What am I to make of an IRS notice : "We've credited payments to your tax account? We haven't received your tax return."
jebmke

Re: CP80 - IRS Notice "Credit on account: $7372.00"

Post by jebmke »

When did you file?

Was it e-filed or paper?

How was payment made (check? direct debit on the return? ACH?); does the amount on the CP letter jive with the amount due on the return that you paid?

You don't state what year this is for - I'm assuming 2020. Many returns for 2020 and some prior to 2020 are still backlogged at the IRS. If it is a paper return, it could well be that the payment was processed but the return is still sitting in a pile waiting to be worked on.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Topic Author
Mr. Digweed

Post by Mr. Digweed »

Original 1040 filed March 2020.
1040-X filed September 2020.
CP80 received two days ago.
Yes the amount of $7,372.00 (by check) is accurate.

All filed by paper.
Last edited by Mr. Digweed on Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

I helped a family member file 5 years of amended taxes all in spring 2020 (yes, there were good reasons to file amended taxes for years in which technically they don't accept amendments).

They cashed all the checks immediately, but then we got letters saying they lost all the returns and to please resend. So as jebmke wrote, one explanation is that they finally opened the envelope and deposited your check but that the return is still on a big pile of other returns somewhere. :(
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes" (even in taxable accounts).
Topic Author
Mr. Digweed

Post by Mr. Digweed »

So the solution is to resubmit paper copy of 1040-X.

I overpaid approximately $2,000; the reason for the 1040-X

Thank you.
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

Mr. Digweed wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:08 pm So the solution is to resubmit paper copy of 1040-X.

I overpaid approximately $2,000; the reason for the 1040-X

Thank you.
Some obvious questions:
-- Did mail the tax return and the payment together?
-- Assuming you paid by check, what did you write on the memo line?

I'm not an expert in these types of matters, but I don't think it could hurt to resend? Along with a short explanation of why, i.e. that you originally sent the 1040-x with check on date X, but then due to the notice (cite the details) you received you are resending. It may very well be that they process/find your original submission before they get around to processing the re-send!
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

A relative got a letter just like that today. They cashed his check already too.
Last edited by AnnetteLouisan on Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

I got one too. They cashed my check last March. I wasted an hour trying to contact them by phone. I copied cashed check, tax forms, W-2 from wife and resent.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

WhyNotUs wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 3:58 pm I got one too. They cashed my check last March. I wasted an hour trying to contact them by phone. I copied cashed check, tax forms, W-2 from wife and resent.
11 million envelopes ahead of you.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

Ladies and gentlemen, I know that many of you paper file because "that's the way I've always done it" or "I don't trust electronic filing" or some other reason. Please, please e-file whenever possible. (I know that amended returns cannot be e-filed, and that's unfortunate.) For folks who continue to insist on paper filing, please don't be surprised that its processing is severely delayed. I know, it "always" has been processed on a timely basis, but times have changed.
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

samsoes wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:16 pm Ladies and gentlemen, I know that many of you paper file because "that's the way I've always done it" or "I don't trust electronic filing" or some other reason. Please, please e-file whenever possible. (I know that amended returns cannot be e-filed, and that's unfortunate.) For folks who continue to insist on paper filing, please don't be surprised that its processing is severely delayed. I know, it "always" has been processed on a timely basis, but times have changed.
Amended returns can be e-filed as of 2019.
Geologist

Post by Geologist »

samsoes wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:16 pm Ladies and gentlemen, I know that many of you paper file because "that's the way I've always done it" or "I don't trust electronic filing" or some other reason. Please, please e-file whenever possible. (I know that amended returns cannot be e-filed, and that's unfortunate.) For folks who continue to insist on paper filing, please don't be surprised that its processing is severely delayed. I know, it "always" has been processed on a timely basis, but times have changed.
I much prefer to e-file. The IRS repeatedly rejected my attempts to e-file last year because it claimed the 2019 AGI I gave didn't match their records (it did). So I filed on paper, included a check for what I owed, mailed it certified return receipt. The check cleared before the receipt came back. This week I got one of those forms saying they never got my return but I have a credit in the amount of my check. So they lost it (not the USPS, the IRS).
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Geologist wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:14 pm
I much prefer to e-file. The IRS repeatedly rejected my attempts to e-file last year because it claimed the 2019 AGI I gave didn't match their records (it did). So I filed on paper, included a check for what I owed, mailed it certified return receipt. The check cleared before the receipt came back. This week I got one of those forms saying they never got my return but I have a credit in the amount of my check. So they lost it (not the USPS, the IRS).
I’m guessing this is a computer generated form letter that has matched credit balances with their records of processed returns and not found a match. Your return is probably still in queue with millions of others, not lost.
ZenBogle

Post by ZenBogle »

I e-filed in March, yet I received a CP80 notice too. I have a submission id and receipt so I'm confident it went through.

The IRS is super backlogged and has likely not gotten to your return yet.

There's a thread on Reddit about it here - https://www.reddit.com/r/IRS/comments/s ... tice_cp80/

I tried calling the IRS directly but could not get through.

It seems like it's an automated letter that gets sent out whenever a new tax season begins.
The new tax season started on January 24th 2022 and I think a lot of automated letters were generated around that time.

I am planning to simply do nothing and wait.
FreddieFIRE

Post by FreddieFIRE »

samsoes wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:16 pm Ladies and gentlemen, I know that many of you paper file because "that's the way I've always done it" or "I don't trust electronic filing" or some other reason. Please, please e-file whenever possible. (I know that amended returns cannot be e-filed, and that's unfortunate.) For folks who continue to insist on paper filing, please don't be surprised that its processing is severely delayed.
Surprised? Yeah, a bit. Concerned? Not really. I've always filed by paper (via certified mail) and paid electronically. They have all the money I owe them and I have full records supporting both payment and timely filing. They have my paper return (somewhere). Why should I switch to e-filing? :confused
A house and a job. Once the American dream. Two things I'll never again have. Life is simple (and good).
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

FreddieFIRE wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:58 pm Surprised? Yeah, a bit. Concerned? Not really. I've always filed by paper (via certified mail) and paid electronically. They have all the money I owe them and I have full records supporting both payment and timely filing. They have my paper return (somewhere). Why should I switch to e-filing? :confused
Some 7.12% series I savings bonds with refund? :D
FreddieFIRE

Post by FreddieFIRE »

Makefile wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:04 pm
FreddieFIRE wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:58 pm Surprised? Yeah, a bit. Concerned? Not really. I've always filed by paper (via certified mail) and paid electronically. They have all the money I owe them and I have full records supporting both payment and timely filing. They have my paper return (somewhere). Why should I switch to e-filing? :confused
Some 7.12% series I savings bonds with refund? :D
Well, that makes sense!! :P (fortunately/unfortunately, I'm not a buyer of I bonds as I hold all fixed in tIRA in TIPS 8-) )
A house and a job. Once the American dream. Two things I'll never again have. Life is simple (and good).
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

FreddieFIRE wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:58 pm
samsoes wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:16 pm Ladies and gentlemen, I know that many of you paper file because "that's the way I've always done it" or "I don't trust electronic filing" or some other reason. Please, please e-file whenever possible. (I know that amended returns cannot be e-filed, and that's unfortunate.) For folks who continue to insist on paper filing, please don't be surprised that its processing is severely delayed.
Surprised? Yeah, a bit. Concerned? Not really. I've always filed by paper (via certified mail) and paid electronically. They have all the money I owe them and I have full records supporting both payment and timely filing. They have my paper return (somewhere). Why should I switch to e-filing? :confused
Because it's not 1960 any more! :mrgreen:

Seriously, would you rather have your paper return "somewhere" than processed and finalized?
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

Just FYI... I e-filed in April 2021, and am yet to get my refund. And there are many others like me as well. :oops:
Geologist

Post by Geologist »

jebmke wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:28 pm
Geologist wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:14 pm
I’m guessing this is a computer generated form letter that has matched credit balances with their records of processed returns and not found a match. Your return is probably still in queue with millions of others, not lost.
You can easily be right, but samoses was assuming facts not in evidence for many people. I wasn't allowed to e-file, so I had to send paper. At any rate, the form I received said to send another paper copy, so I have (certified return receipt like the first one). I don't see how this helps their paper snafu, but it is what it is.

What potentially makes this worse is that if they don't get the 2020 return processed soon, how can I be sure that I won't be prevented from e-filing again this year?
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

andypanda

Post by andypanda »

" For folks who continue to insist on paper filing"

How do you e-file a copy of your probate papers and/or a death certificate?

"Section A. Authority
Line 1a. Testate estates. Check the box on line 1a if you are the executor of an estate of a decedent who died testate (i.e., having left a valid will) and have been authorized to serve by a court of appropriate jurisdiction. Attach to your Form 56, current letters testamentary or a court certificate as proof of your court appointment. Enter the decedent’s date of death on line 2a."

Still waiting on his $91 refund for 2019. Got the 2020 refund.

I wonder how many probate cases are in limbo across the country.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

I got my CP80 yesterday. I'm not doing anything. If they still don't have it processed in a year I'll send it again. They cashed the check in the envelope so they got it.
RJC

Post by RJC »

I just received a CP80 today as well. Just hold tight?
dcnut

Post by dcnut »

According to a new article on the Fox Business website:
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyle/i ... ed-notices

The IRS has stopped sending these notices.

[Edit] BTW I sent my paper 1040 to Kansas City last May, and I have yet to get my refund. I have received no CP80 notice from the IRS as yet.

[2nd edit] Just checked my IRS account, and they have finally processed my paper return from late May!!! Still no refund, however.
I went to another IRS website (Where's My Refund), and they show the refund still in process.
Last edited by dcnut on Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:57 am, edited 2 times in total.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

andypanda wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:16 am " For folks who continue to insist on paper filing"

"Section A. Authority
Line 1a. Testate estates. Check the box on line 1a if you are the executor of an estate of a decedent who died testate (i.e., having left a valid will) and have been authorized to serve by a court of appropriate jurisdiction. Attach to your Form 56, current letters testamentary or a court certificate as proof of your court appointment. Enter the decedent’s date of death on line 2a."

Still waiting on his $91 refund for 2019. Got the 2020 refund.

I wonder how many probate cases are in limbo across the country.
Here's what Inuit says about attaching something to an efile:
https://proconnect.intuit.com/community ... ed/00/5444
Looks to be possible, but I have not myself done this.
FreddieFIRE

Post by FreddieFIRE »

samsoes wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:06 pm

Seriously, would you rather have your paper return "somewhere" than processed and finalized?
It really doesn't matter. My certified mail receipt is guaranteed evidence of timely filing. I'm not sure if there is an equivalent for e-filing.
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

FreddieFIRE wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:01 am

It really doesn't matter. My certified mail receipt is guaranteed evidence of timely filing. I'm not sure if there is an equivalent for e-filing.
There is. Try it. Just once. You'll see. And you'll never go back to paper filing.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

FreddieFIRE wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:01 am It really doesn't matter. My certified mail receipt is guaranteed evidence of timely filing. I'm not sure if there is an equivalent for e-filing.
Every accepted e-file generates an IRS ACK.

One issue with paper filing is that there is always the chance that someone keys in the wrong numbers on your return when it is processed and you end up with a CP letter.

I think the unprocessed return also leaves you open to having someone jump ahead and e-file with your SSN which unleashes a world of hurt. If you have an IPPIN this risk has been mitigated, of course. But many people do not have IP PINs.
FreddieFIRE

Post by FreddieFIRE »

jebmke wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:52 am One issue with paper filing is that there is always the chance that someone keys in the wrong numbers on your return when it is processed and you end up with a CP letter.
I think the unprocessed return also leaves you open to having someone jump ahead and e-file with your SSN which unleashes a world of hurt. If you have an IPPIN this risk has been mitigated, of course. But many people do not have IP PINs.
While I acknowledge that both of these could happen, they've never happened to me and I'm just not worried about it. A few years ago there were concerns about e-files being hijacked and causing problems. That, of course, may also have been one of those things that could happen but really didn't for most/all. I really don't know. I'll keep mailing those paper forms for now. If/when the IRS actually develops a web interface that allows me to fill in my forms on-line without third party involvement, I will likely change my mind. 8-)
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

FreddieFIRE wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:27 pm
jebmke wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:52 am One issue with paper filing is that there is always the chance that someone keys in the wrong numbers on your return when it is processed and you end up with a CP letter.
While I acknowledge that both of these could happen, they've never happened to me and I'm just not worried about it. A few years ago there were concerns about e-files being hijacked and causing problems. That, of course, may also have been one of those things that could happen but really didn't for most/all. I really don't know. I'll keep mailing those paper forms for now. If/when the IRS actually develops a web interface that allows me to fill in my forms on-line without third party involvement, I will likely change my mind. 8-)
That can happen to you anyway, if someone e-files with your SSN ahead of the IRS keying your return into one of its Commodore 64s. As jebmke said, get an IP PIN and e-file early. That's the way of the world these days.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

or at least get an IP-PIN. Now that it is open to all, there is no compelling reason not to get one. Some people will continue to paper file when they don't need to until the IRS drops the hammer - which they should. But they need to get their act together first on all the various situations where paper file is required. Then simply take away the paper option.

I think I had to pay a significant fee to paper file in Belgium (I was a US expat and there were paper docs that had to be filed with the return.) My returns in a couple of other countries might have been the same but it was all paid for so I didn't really keep track.

I always chuckle when I see "it has never happened to me." I assume the same people don't have insurance on their homes because they haven't burned down yet.
Last edited by jebmke on Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
FreddieFIRE

Post by FreddieFIRE »

jebmke wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:36 pm Some people will continue to paper file when they don't need to until the IRS drops the hammer - which they should. But they need to get their act together first on all the various situations where paper file is required. Then simply take away the paper option.
This likely will not happen in my lifetime. There are still a lot of taxpayers who don't even have computers.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

FreddieFIRE wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:39 pm
jebmke wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:36 pm Some people will continue to paper file when they don't need to until the IRS drops the hammer - which they should. But they need to get their act together first on all the various situations where paper file is required. Then simply take away the paper option.
This likely will not happen in my lifetime. There are still a lot of taxpayers who don't even have computers.
Yes, I know. Just like it is unlikely that the banking system will join the late 20th century and eliminate checks. Sad, but true.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

FreddieFIRE wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:01 amIt really doesn't matter. My certified mail receipt is guaranteed evidence of timely filing. I'm not sure if there is an equivalent for e-filing.
I got dinged for late filing in part because my extension was rejected. I had emails from tax software and could have tried arguing it, but there were other complicating factors and it wasn't worth fighting it. For 1040 filings, my experience is it takes 1-3 days to get an acceptance notice, so if you're not getting a confirmation by then, you might want to follow up. But I've had those notices get lost too.
Geologist wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:14 pmI much prefer to e-file. The IRS repeatedly rejected my attempts to e-file last year because it claimed the 2019 AGI I gave didn't match their records (it did). So I filed on paper, included a check for what I owed, mailed it certified return receipt. The check cleared before the receipt came back. This week I got one of those forms saying they never got my return but I have a credit in the amount of my check. So they lost it (not the USPS, the IRS).
If you have to make a payment or can make an additional token payment, say $10 toward estimated or next year taxes with the electronic transaction you're trying to make, it should generate some traceable evidence.

I recently had trouble with a government web site payment and tried the phone payment, which took all the information, but gave no tracking information. Still, a few days later, when the funds were taken out of my bank account, I was pretty certain the transaction will complete.
FreddieFIRE wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:39 pmThere are still a lot of taxpayers who don't even have computers.
And never will, but they will have phones. Forget filing on a postcard, it's going to need to be click a smartphone.
Last edited by inbox788 on Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dcnut

Post by dcnut »

FreddieFIRE wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 11:01 am

I will never use Certified Mail for filing a tax return after my experience last year sending a Form 1041 to Kansas City.
The return was last seen in Springfield, IL, and was deemed lost by the USPS, and we received a refund of the postage. Anymore, if I must send anything to the tax people, it will go via Fed Ex. I might also consider Registered Mail, only because the USPS takes a little more care with such mail. Starting this year, I am preparing our 1040 using Turbotax (thanks to Fidelity paying for it).
FreddieFIRE

Post by FreddieFIRE »

dcnut wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:49 pm I will never use Certified Mail for filing a tax return after my experience last year sending a Form 1041 to Kansas City.
The return was last seen in Springfield, IL, and was deemed lost by the USPS, and we received a refund of the postage. Anymore, if I must send anything to the tax people, it will go via Fed Ex. I might also consider Registered Mail, only because the USPS takes a little more care with such mail. Starting this year, I am preparing our 1040 using Turbotax (thanks to Fidelity paying for it).
You're better off using certified mail, even if it gets lost. An IRS ruling has stated that proof of a certified mail mailing is 100% acceptable as evidence of timely filing. Does it make sense? Not really, but it is what it is.
dcnut

Post by dcnut »

FreddieFIRE wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:56 pm
dcnut wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:49 pm I will never use Certified Mail for filing a tax return after my experience last year sending a Form 1041 to Kansas City.
You're better off using certified mail, even if it gets lost. An IRS ruling has stated that proof of a certified mail mailing is 100% acceptable as evidence of timely filing. Does it make sense? Not really, but it is what it is.
I have heard that Registered Mail is considered just as valid as Certified Mail as far as the IRS is concerned.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"You can print Form 56 directly to a PDF from within the program and attach it to the return in Screen 2.2 Electronic Return File Attachments." (ref. #14742)"

Thanks, but it doesn't say you can attach an e-copy of your Executor appointment from the Commissioner of Accounts/Probate Office.
Afaik, the instructions still say to attach a paper copy. I asked once upon a time years ago and was told to send paper.
FreddieFIRE

Post by FreddieFIRE »

dcnut wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:59 pm
I have heard that Registered Mail is considered just as valid as Certified Mail as far as the IRS is concerned.
I haven't heard that before. We've had these discussions on the forum before and, IIRC, certified mail was the only one that had an actual written IRS ruling behind it. Perhaps somebody else can fill in the blanks.
talzara

Post by talzara »

andypanda wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:16 am " For folks who continue to insist on paper filing"

RudyS wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 10:44 am Here's what Inuit says about attaching something to an efile:
https://proconnect.intuit.com/community ... ed/00/5444
Looks to be possible, but I have not myself done this.
That is for LaCerte, which starts at $425 per year plus $111 per estate tax return.

There are three major features that make professional tax software different from consumer tax software:
  1. No 5-return limit on federal e-files
  2. Can attach statements to every line that requires a statement
  3. Can e-file after overriding many lines
In the past, everyone has filed on paper when I told them the cost of professional tax software. Not this year. For the first time, some Bogleheads are willing to pay hundreds of dollars to e-file.
dcnut

Post by dcnut »

FreddieFIRE wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:15 pm
dcnut wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:59 pm
I haven't heard that before. We've had these discussions on the forum before and, IIRC, certified mail was the only one that had an actual written IRS ruling behind it. Perhaps somebody else can fill in the blanks.
From a practical point of view, it would be very hard for the IRS to prevail (if challenged) if a tax return was delivered to them via certified mail, registered mail, or FedEx, and the tax payer could produce proof of delivery and receipt..
talzara

Post by talzara »

FreddieFIRE wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:15 pm
dcnut wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:59 pm I have heard that Registered Mail is considered just as valid as Certified Mail as far as the IRS is concerned.
That is incorrect.

26 USC § 7502 specifies that registered mail is proof of timely mailing. It also allows the Secretary of the Treasury to issue regulations for accepting certified mail, which was done in 26 CFR § 301.7502-1.

The reason everyone uses certified mail is that it costs less than registered mail.
talzara

Post by talzara »

dcnut wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:29 pm From a practical point of view, it would be very hard for the IRS to prevail (if challenged) if a tax return was delivered to them via certified mail, registered mail, or FedEx, and the tax payer could produce proof of delivery and receipt..
In Eichelburg v. Commissioner (2013), the Tax Court ruled that FedEx Express Saver does not count as proof of timely mailing. You must use one of the specific services allowed by law or regulation.

The law allows registered mail, and regulations allow certified mail. In addition, the IRS has designated certain private delivery services as providing proof of timely mailing: https://www.irs.gov/filing/private-deli ... rvices-pds

FedEx 2 Day is on the list, but FedEx Express Saver is not on the list. Eichelburg could've saved himself thousands of dollars if he'd spent an extra $10 to upgrade to 2 Day service.
andypanda

Post by andypanda »

"In the past, everyone has filed on paper when I told them the cost of professional tax software. Not this year. For the first time, some Bogleheads are willing to pay hundreds of dollars to e-file."

I see don't see where in the IRS instructions it says I can e-attach Probate office letters to a Form 56. Maybe they assume I know what they are thinking. I understand I can probably pay someone else to do it, but I wasn't going to pay a penny to file a short form for a deceased Catholic Priest who was owed $91 in 2019 and $30-some bucks in 2020. I did the taxes myself. I did my own taxes starting in 1965 and my parents from 2006 to 2017, in ink, without a calculator most years just to keep in practice. I like juggling numbers in my head. Once, for a few years, I was a physics major. I got over it.

The past few years I've paid a private outfit between $600 and $700 per year to do ours and I go fishing. I'm done with studying changes in the tax laws and forms. Good riddance. They can do the worksheets, sort through the dividends, foreign taxes, credits, this that and the other, and all that stuff.
dcnut

Post by dcnut »

talzara wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:47 pm
dcnut wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:29 pm From a practical point of view, it would be very hard for the IRS to prevail (if challenged) if a tax return was delivered to them via certified mail, registered mail, or FedEx, and the tax payer could produce proof of delivery and receipt..
In Eichelburg v. Commissioner (2013), the Tax Court ruled that FedEx Express Saver does not count as proof of timely mailing. You must use one of the specific services allowed by law or regulation.

The law allows registered mail, and regulations allow certified mail. In addition, the IRS has designated certain private delivery services as providing proof of timely mailing: https://www.irs.gov/filing/private-deli ... rvices-pds

FedEx 2 Day is on the list, but FedEx Express Saver is not on the list. Eichelburg could've saved himself thousands of dollars if he'd spent an extra $10 to upgrade to 2 Day service.
Yes, I always use FedEx 2-day service, as per the list of approved Private Delivery Services:
https://www.irs.gov/filing/private-deli ... rvices-pds
bpr

Post by bpr »

So what are we doing if we got this letter? resend or just wait ?

I received 2 letters this month, one each for tax years 2019 and 2020. credit amounts match wht I sent in checks. I cant believe they still have 2019 returns in the backlog. I do have certified mail receipts that show I sent. Also the returns and checks were sent together so they have my returns but claim they dont.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

bpr wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:30 pm So what are we doing if we got this letter? resend or just wait ?

I received 2 letters this month, one each for tax years 2019 and 2020. credit amounts match wht I sent in checks. I cant believe they still have 2019 returns in the backlog. I do have certified mail receipts that show I sent. Also the returns and checks were sent together so they have my returns but claim they dont.
These are automated letters. “They” is a computer.
Asyouwish

Post by Asyouwish »

bpr wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 5:30 pm So what are we doing if we got this letter? resend or just wait ?

It’s all over the news. I would not resend. These are computer generated letters that normally serve a purpose. However, Covid has wrecked the IRS and normal time frames are out the window. This letter normally serves a good purpose. However when the IRS is taking 10-12 months to process returns, then these automated computer letters and automated computer processes don’t do them any favors.
The commissioner also stated they will stop sending some of these automated letters. https://www.marketwatch.com/story/the-i ... 1643330309

Check out this article from USA TODAY:

Taxpayers alarmed by IRS notice asking them to resend their 2020 returns. Is it a scam?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 261101002/
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

The IRS announced today to follow the instructions on the 2019 letters and to disregard the 2020 letters.

From the USA Today article linked above:

"If a taxpayer has received a notice for a 2020 return they should not refile," according to Luis Garcia, a spokesperson for the IRS in Detroit.

"For taxpayers who timely filed their 2019 tax return, including extensions, and have received a notice they should refile their return," Garcia said.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash