Work a desk job but hate sitting, how to fix

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
femmefire

Work a desk job but hate sitting, how to fix

Post by femmefire »

I'm a software engineer and while I find the work mentally stimulating, I HATE sitting/standing at a desk and that my job requires me to be attached to a computer all the time. This dislike has gotten much worse during the pandemic since I have everything I need nearby (my bathroom and coffee is steps away). I'm an introvert so I don't need much conversation but zoom is just not doing it for me. I would like to interact with people a bit more and also move a lot more. I've tried a standing desk, stretching my legs, and I have consistent running schedule, but it's not enough. Think of me like a vizsla or belgian malinois, a breed that needs a lot of exercise. I'm not willing to make a move to something that pays a lot less. Tell me your stories. Did you make a lateral move or a complete career change?
Californiastate

Re: Work a desk job but hate sitting, how to fix

Post by Californiastate »

I am a retire plumber. I worked construction my whole life. I worked outside in temps from the 20sF to 110F. I didn't have a choice if I wanted to eat. My current chair isn't perfect but it's better than doing groundwork in the winter or topout when it's 107F. As a suggestion for you, get a treadmill.
Teague

Post by Teague »

I feel your pain(s). I had the same issue.

I also tried the standing desk, etc. I never found a great solution other than retiring after 20 years of frustration. Good luck.
Semper Augustus
DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath »

I would suggest trying a treadmill desk. I have one and it is amazing the difference it makes, even if I only spend an hour of the day actually using it. My main complaint is that I use it less than I ought to due to general laziness. But I'm always glad I did afterwords.

It takes a little trial-and-error to figure out a natural pace so that you can work without being distracted, but it's surprisingly easy to use once you're in the groove. There are certain high cognitive tasks I can't do while on it, but for more routine work it's no problem.

Of course it's not the same as actually walking around outdoors, so it may not scratch your actual itch.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

Pretty much every person working from home faces these challenge. When programming I can get locked inside my computer for like 6hours barely blinking.

Also I'm in a lot of meetings and it's hard to take calls on a walk due to wind, cold Minnesota winter, noise outside, inability to follow slides. The culture is that people are at their desks during calls.

I sometimes walk to library, which is 1 mile, work there for a few hours. Try to walk at lunch (but usually people schedule meetings over lunch)

I manage to get 10,000 steps a day, but I have to try hard and sometimes have weeks of lower steps. Contemplating getting a walking treadmill. If I could use that while checking email or during one hour call I'd hit 10k steps easy every day.

I need to FIRE in a few years
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

Most of my day involves sitting as well.

What's worked for me: set up some time every hour to walk a particular amount of steps. If I don't have any meetings during the hour, I'll walk 2,000 steps. Where I have a 30-minute meeting, I'll walk 1,000 steps. By the end of the day, I have between 10-15k steps. Repeat each workday!
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

femmefire wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:50 pmI'm not willing to make a move to something that pays a lot less.
There are plenty of jobs that don't require sitting or standing.

Determining if you are qualified for them, if they are mentally stimulating enough or they pay a lot less, requires information that you haven't provided. Have you looked at job sites that cover your locale?

I held three distinct careers before retiring, including one that required standing all day. I suspect none of them would fit the few bits of criteria that you provided.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Cycle

Post by Cycle »

viewtopic.php?t=197948

Standing desks thread
Never look back unless you are planning to go that way
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I'm pretty sure that most people who have jobs that don't allow sitting wish they had a job that allowed more sitting. So this seems like a grass-is-always-greener situation.
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

jaqenhghar wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:20 pm Most of my day involves sitting as well.

What's worked for me: set up some time every hour to walk a particular amount of steps. If I don't have any meetings during the hour, I'll walk 2,000 steps. Where I have a 30-minute meeting, I'll walk 1,000 steps. By the end of the day, I have between 10-15k steps. Repeat each workday!
When I was still working, I had some co-workers that did pushups at the top of every hour. They could knock out a lot of push-ups after a while, some even did them one-handed or with their feet on their chair. It was impressive. And some expanded into squats or lunges. The point was to do it at the top of every hour (I think they aimed for 3 min) every work day. And it was a social thing because there was a group that did it and would text/DM about it.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
2pedals

Post by 2pedals »

I had a desk job for years before I retired. The only thing I will say that it helped to have a social network of friends at work that liked to exercise as well. I would also commute to work on the bike and/or run at lunchtime. It also helps to have a boss that will give you some flexibility at lunch so that you can get long or hard workouts in from time to time.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Take a traditional karate class 3-4x/week after work.
Make a long term commitment.
Jog 1/2-1 mile 3-4x/week.
Sitting will feel so good.
Your “self” will be filled with vitality and a higher purpose.

Treat the whole animal.
j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
kt_belle

Post by kt_belle »

Get a basic activity tracker and make sure you’re getting 10,000 steps per day. I am the same way. I walk outside when I can. Around the block or just circle the house or a parking lot. Keep moving. It all helps.
Bogle-007

Post by Bogle-007 »

Have you heard of Varidesk? You can choose to sit or stand whenever you want. I love mine.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

I got a standing desk, but my back hurt from standing still.

My boss had suggested it, but he was just at the computer for 25 min at a time sending emails.

Programming requires extended periods of deep concentration.
I have gotten into the zone developing, and looked up later and 5 hours had gone by.

Zoom meetings also hold you in one place in front of the camera.
Near the end of my career, I'll be retiring soon. If I had to stick it out, I'd go remote and program from a recliner.
blueberrypi

Post by blueberrypi »

Do you have time to exercise in the morning? I find after a workout sitting is a lot more tolerable. Sit/stand desk and some at-home exercise throughout the day might help as well.
AnEngineer

Post by AnEngineer »

femmefire wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:50 pm I'm a software engineer and while I find the work mentally stimulating, I HATE sitting/standing at a desk and that my job requires me to be attached to a computer all the time. This dislike has gotten much worse during the pandemic since I have everything I need nearby (my bathroom and coffee is steps away). I'm an introvert so I don't need much conversation but zoom is just not doing it for me. I would like to interact with people a bit more and also move a lot more. I've tried a standing desk, stretching my legs, and I have consistent running schedule, but it's not enough. Think of me like a vizsla or belgian malinois, a breed that needs a lot of exercise. I'm not willing to make a move to something that pays a lot less. Tell me your stories. Did you make a lateral move or a complete career change?
It sounds like this may be mostly pandemic-induced in that before you perhaps disliked it, but it was tolerable. A few thoughts:
1) Deliberately wander around your house a little bit frequently, an emulation of the longer trek to the bathroom or a drink at work. You can try switching to more smaller meals to give yourself more of an excuse to move more often.
2) While an introvert, you may be realizing how important those little forced interactions, or maybe even just seeing people. Is there a way you can deliberately approximate this?
3) Eventually you'll be able to go back into the office (or change jobs to make it happen), this may help.
4) I've found well-placed windows and looking out them helps. I've heard something about looking at things far away, particularly green, helps the mind. If that's available give it a go.
5) Do you have enough space to pace at your desk while thinking through work stuff?
greg24

Post by greg24 »

I have a similar job, and a similar need to move. I find reasons to walk, and do pushups throughout the day.

Is the nearby bathroom the only option? I walk from our basement office to the 2nd floor bathroom, taking the long way through the first floor.

When I was in the office, I took frequent 5 to 10 minute walks. I do the same at home.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

DH has two set ups. He has a regular desk in the spare bedroom, with two monitors and three different chairs. He takes whatever meetings he can while using the foam roller on the floor, pops up to look at the screen, etc.

His second setup is to put the laptop on a box in the kitchen counter and a remote keyboard on the bar, which happens to be the right height for him.

He also does yoga in the morning, and often takes long walks or bike rides midday and joins me for dance practice in the evening. He was actually already doing most of that in the office, as we live in the same neighborhood and there are a couple of options for walks.

He doesn't always use it, but when he is sitting down for work which he knows he get lost in, he sets a timer and takes dance breaks every 20 minutes or so.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I feel your pain. I was always the same way. I was happiest when I had a job that involved a lot of “walking around” time, which isn’t really a thing during COVID.

I finally solved the problem for real by retiring. Now I spend 20 hours+ per week working out and doing sports.

Your best bet is probably to make time in the middle of the day for a workout. 20-30 minutes of HIIT training, followed by 20-30 minutes of strength training halfway through your workday might make the difference. Or break it up, since you’re at home. 20-30 minutes in the morning, and 20-30 minutes in the afternoon.
Raraculus

Post by Raraculus »

NewbieBogle007 wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:51 pmHave you heard of Varidesk? You can choose to sit or stand whenever you want. I love mine.
This. I also have a Varidesk and it does the job. I also use a foam pad to stand upon.
ndomorph

Post by ndomorph »

I, too, found that being too sedentary and isolated was a real downer. When I still lived in the city, I adopted a zoomie dog who opened the door to a more fun and active life. We hiked all over the San Gabriel Mountains, herded sheep in a scrappy field under the 110 underpass, and trained in agility, even competing in some trials. One thing led to another and now I live on 40 acres in the woods and do a lot of forestry work in addition to working with animals. I have a dream of getting me fit enough, and my donkeys trained enough, to do running with them.

My home is adapted to promote natural movement so I'm not totally sedentary when indoors. For computer/desk work, I have a Flexispot standing desk riser on top of a low table that gives me enough range to sit on the floor or a stability ball, or even stand.
I keep my filing cabinets in the garage, and have other "office" items stowed in various rooms for extra movement opportunities. For monkeying around as a transition between tasks, I bought an inexpensive free-standing pullup bar and a rebounder that easily converts to a coffee table. Below are a few of sources for creative adaptations for active work/lifestyle habits. If you're on FB, the Ancestral Movement group is very inspiring and has lots of resources.

https://thereadystate.com/blogs/why-sit ... your-life/
https://www.nutritiousmovement.com/offi ... -in-a-9-5/
https://www.nutritiousmovement.com/day-life/
aristotelian

Post by aristotelian »

I also have back pain and desk job, a terrible combination. I have experimented with standing desks and that worked for a time. (I used a laptop with a stand so as to switch back and forth between standing and sitting). These days I just sit but take lots and lots of breaks.
Abe

Post by Abe »

Californiastate wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:56 pm I am a retire plumber. I worked construction my whole life. I worked outside in temps from the 20sF to 110F. I didn't have a choice if I wanted to eat. My current chair isn't perfect but it's better than doing groundwork in the winter or topout when it's 107F. As a suggestion for you, get a treadmill.
Hey, this is how to fix the OP's problem. Let him work outside in temps from the 20sF to 110F for a couple of months. When he goes back to his desk job, he will like it a lot better.
Slow and steady wins the race.
Afty

Post by Afty »

I'm also a software engineer/manager. Some thoughts based on OP's post.

> my job requires me to be attached to a computer all the time.

Consider putting your work email, Slack, etc. on your cell phone, then you can be away from your computer but still able to do some work. I resisted this for many years because I didn't want work emails/texts invading my personal life, but it's turned out to be more of a positive than a negative in that I'm not tethered to my computer 24/7. Slack at least lets you set do-not-disturb hours so you don't get work texts at night or on the weekend.

> I would like to interact with people a bit more

I schedule a weekly in-person lunch with a friend or local teammate. It's a good way to have some human contact both for work and personal reasons.

> and also move a lot more. I've tried a standing desk, stretching my legs, and I have consistent running schedule, but it's not enough.

Maybe a treadmill desk, as someone else suggested? Or you can take meetings on your phone while walking around your neighborhood.
yakk0

Post by yakk0 »

Is working outside you home now and then an option? The classic options are working from a coffee shop, library or co-working space but some of those probably aren't options right now with the pandemic. My spouse has driven our camper van to the beach and worked from there on occasion, laptop tethered to phone for internet. I've read reports on our city subreddit of a person working from the zoo with a folding chair and table.
cjcerny

Post by cjcerny »

Need to find a high intensity activity that you can do for 5 minutes every 2 hours or so to keep the adrenaline flowing. We have a fitness room at my office. When I get itchy, I just take a short break and lift some weights or do burpee’s or something like that, but not long enough to become a sweaty mess. That keeps the metabolism high for the next couple of hours until I am back there again for the same.

Treadmill desk isn’t really and option. It’s fine if you are on the phone all day or something like that, but you can’t really focus or type while you are on a treadmill desk.
AC782

Post by AC782 »

Sitting for extended periods of time can lead to shortening of the hip flexor muscles, which in turn can cause lower back pain. I’ve been spending 10 minutes per day doing 30-60 second holds of various stretches, but most importantly hip flexor stretches. Its helped me tremendously. There are quite a few good stretching routines on youtube.
nolapepper

Post by nolapepper »

I had the same challenge when pandemic started. I quit running since I didn't have to get up early to beat the traffic anymore. I got lazier and lazier. Then I realized that I need to commit to something.

My solution was: I offered to teach my friends yoga every morning on zoom, free of charge. It turned out to be fantastic! Every one was happy. We got exercise and social time. I had to adjust the schedule many times but we are still doing it! Almost hitting two year anniversary! Because I am the instructor, I cannot skip classes as freely as others so I got the most out of it.

Of course, if you are very persistent, you can simply join a class. Or follow YouTube videos to learn something new.

I also take a walk in the neighborhood or work in my garden during lunch break or early morning. Outdoor and Gardening make me happy.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

AC782 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:14 pm Sitting for extended periods of time can lead to shortening of the hip flexor muscles, which in turn can cause lower back pain. I’ve been spending 10 minutes per day doing 30-60 second holds of various stretches, but most importantly hip flexor stretches. Its helped me tremendously. There are quite a few good stretching routines on youtube.
I broke my back 1.5yrs ago (2 compression fractures in thoracic, 4 bulging discs in thoracic and lumbar, bone spurs in cervical) and have a "desk job" that is now completely WFH. I'm still to the point where I can't handle a lot of compression (still can't do a lot of running), so if I spent even 1/4 of my day sitting I'd be in non-stop debilitating pain. I work out first thing in the morning and then do foundation training immediately after https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOTvaRaDjI. I make sure to get up at least for a few seconds every half hour and I usually do foundation training again around noon. Interestingly, I'm an exercise physiologist and foundation training (developed by a chiropractor) was recommended to me by a colleague who is a physical therapist.
tvubpwcisla

Post by tvubpwcisla »

Use a timer or app that reminds you to stand up every hour.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Here you go:

https://www.amazon.com/Standing-Desk-Ad ... 1055&psc=1

Move around till your heart's content.
finfire

Post by finfire »

I'm in the same situation, except not an introvert.

I use a standing desk.
I go to gym , for an hour Mon - Fri.
I go out more socially now.

I'm still stuck at a desk, but it helps to leave the house.

I am planning separating work and home space by adding a detached work space this year.

Good luck!
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

AC782 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 8:14 pm Sitting for extended periods of time can lead to shortening of the hip flexor muscles, which in turn can cause lower back pain. I’ve been spending 10 minutes per day doing 30-60 second holds of various stretches, but most importantly hip flexor stretches. Its helped me tremendously. There are quite a few good stretching routines on youtube.
This!

I have some serious back issues and after many years of trying different PT and having back surgery, I finally found a PT who pinpointed the hip flexors being too tense as causing much of my back pain.

I have a similar job and a standing desk but I need to workout in the middle of the day otherwise my back hurts and I can’t focus that well. I block 1.5hrs on my calendar each day sometime between lunch and 3pm depending on my schedule and I either do a cardio or weight day paired with lots of stretching and a shower. By the end of that I feel fresh and ready to go again.

In the morning and evening I also take breaks to walk the dog. I hate breaking my concentration but I know without these breaks my concentration fades into spinning wheels anyway.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

I believe that there are treadmill desks--though I also believe that it isn't easy to type while walking.
50% VTSAX | 25% VTIAX | 25% VBTLX (retirement), 25% VTEAX (taxable)
Starfish

Post by Starfish »

I also don't like sitting at my desk the entire day.
So I don't. In the morning I walk to the coffee place (there are several within 1 mile from my house). I get a coffee, sometimes a bagel, sit a a table (usually outside), look at people and do some work from there. It's not really possible to do technical work (I need a large monitor) but I can write emails, read stuff, look at data.

When I have time between meetings I walk to the forest and hills behind my house and I take a hike on the trails. I cover about 7 miles in 2h. There is a lot of up and down, so it's enough exercise for me for the day. I cannot take meetings during the hike (no signal) but at the end of the trail there is a State Park office with WiFi so I can do it from there.
So go out during the day, exercise intensely, spend energy, get tired, and do your work after that.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

femmefire wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 12:50 pm I'm a software engineer and while I find the work mentally stimulating, I HATE sitting/standing at a desk and that my job requires me to be attached to a computer all the time. This dislike has gotten much worse during the pandemic since I have everything I need nearby (my bathroom and coffee is steps away). I'm an introvert so I don't need much conversation but zoom is just not doing it for me. I would like to interact with people a bit more and also move a lot more. I've tried a standing desk, stretching my legs, and I have consistent running schedule, but it's not enough. Think of me like a vizsla or belgian malinois, a breed that needs a lot of exercise. I'm not willing to make a move to something that pays a lot less. Tell me your stories. Did you make a lateral move or a complete career change?
Use your outlook calendar to plan out the day. Incorporate walks, exercises, meals, mental break, etc. It could help you be pro-active and be in control of your days.

Of course, the key is moderation. If you work too hard, you don't have time for other things. It's a tradeoffs and only you know your limits and what important to you.
Time is the ultimate currency.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

stoptothink wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:18 am I make sure to get up at least for a few seconds every half hour ...
I have a timer next to my monitor which is set for the 25 minutes countdown. When the timer buzzes, I get up and walk the length of my apartment 3 times. My goal is to have this walk at least 60 times/day, with the total roughly equivalent to 30 minutes. To keep track of my walks, I also have near my monitor two small glass jars. In the morning, one of them contains 60 pennies. After I complete every walk, I move a penny to the second jar. The goal is to move all pennies to the second jar by the end of the day.

After repeating this process for many months it's become a strong habit. In the beginning, I frequently did not get up when the timer buzzed because I did not want to interrupt whatever I was doing. Now, I am like a Pavlov's dog: the buzzer means a walk. The penny jars provide physical and visual satisfaction. I get pleasure from moving a penny into the receiving jar and from seeing the amount of pennies in the source jar decreasing.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
valleyrock

Post by valleyrock »

nolapepper wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:10 pm I had the same challenge when pandemic started. I quit running since I didn't have to get up early to beat the traffic anymore. I got lazier and lazier. Then I realized that I need to commit to something.

My solution was: I offered to teach my friends yoga every morning on zoom, free of charge. It turned out to be fantastic! Every one was happy. We got exercise and social time. I had to adjust the schedule many times but we are still doing it! Almost hitting two year anniversary! Because I am the instructor, I cannot skip classes as freely as others so I got the most out of it.

Of course, if you are very persistent, you can simply join a class. Or follow YouTube videos to learn something new.

I also take a walk in the neighborhood or work in my garden during lunch break or early morning. Outdoor and Gardening make me happy.
I'm wondering if I can learn enough yoga the night before to teach it in the morning.

But seriously, the average American changes careers a number of times. Being on a computer all day is just boring as hell for some people, regardless of breaks, desks, exercise, going to coffee shops, whatever. So, consider retraining to something different, not necessarily out in the elements. A master's degree is one way to switch fields. But if it's online, that's more time sitting in front of a computer. But it could lead to something.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (office ergonomics).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

Do any of your coworkers live near you? If so go meet them for coffee or lunch, it will at least give you something to look forward to. I have given up on emails and zoom/jabber/messaging where I can, I now make old fashioned telephone calls to discuss business with remote coworkers.