Any Tips For Uninsured Dental Care

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Cosmic Pony 8

Any Tips For Uninsured Dental Care

Post by Cosmic Pony 8 »

My wife and I recently retired, so are not covered by a dental plan. We have been calling around and the prices for an exam and cleaning vary widely and seem really expensive. Anyone found an affordable solution or do we just stay with our current dentist. ($150.00 for a cleaning.)
jebmke

Re: Any Tips For Uninsured Dental Care

Post by jebmke »

Check out dental plans dot com to see if there are any discount plans that your dentist would accept (or, if willing to change dentists, another dentist would accept).

I just had an appointment last week; rack rate for cleaning and exam was $163; my charge was $77.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications

Post by 123 »

If you are near a School of Dentistry try them. Prices are reasonable. It can take awhile to get appointments. The work is done by students and monitored by professors so the work is good, but the process can be slow. A routine filling in a regular dental office might take 15 - 30 minutes but it can take 1 - 2 hours at a dental school.

I was in a similar situation when I first entered the work force. I actually enjoyed going to the dental school for work. They appreciate the patience of the patients.
Last edited by 123 on Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

You could ask your current dentist if there is a discount for paying with cash. Also, the $150 for a cleaning doesn't seem unreasonable.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Cosmic Pony 8 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:08 pm My wife and I recently retired, so are not covered by a dental plan. We have been calling around and the prices for an exam and cleaning vary widely and seem really expensive. Anyone found an affordable solution or do we just stay with our current dentist. ($150.00 for a cleaning.)
At least in my experience, it is cheaper to self-insurance when it comes to dental work. Our dental insurance (through wife's employer) is $68/month for our family of 4; $816/yr buys a lot of cleanings around here (two for each of us as our dentist charges $105 for a basic cleaning and exam) but wife is dead-set on keeping the insurance . We've yet to have a single dental expense outside of cleaning, and even then, the insurance doesn't cover everything. With a quick Google search, seems like a basic exam ranges from $75-$200, and as someone who was formerly married to someone they put through dental school - dental schools can be a great (cheap) option.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Cosmic Pony 8 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:08 pm My wife and I recently retired, so are not covered by a dental plan. We have been calling around and the prices for an exam and cleaning vary widely and seem really expensive. Anyone found an affordable solution or do we just stay with our current dentist. ($150.00 for a cleaning.)
I am also retired and on Kaiser’s Medicare Advantage plan. I also have the advantage plus option that provides discount dental work from participating dentists.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Brush after every meal
Avoid sugar
Don't Smoke
Floss ,water pik,regular floss
Multiple times daily
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

OnTrack2020 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:27 pm You could ask your current dentist if there is a discount for paying with cash. Also, the $150 for a cleaning doesn't seem unreasonable.
^^^ This. When we didn't have dental insurance the dentist we went to gave us a paid up front cash discount on cleanings and dental work we did (fillings, root canals, etc.).
dbr

Post by dbr »

Explore dental insurance and check which plans a possible dentist accepts and what is the charge when under that plan. The point is that if the dentist accepts the plan he also accepts the negotiated rates under that plan. That might save you more than the cost of the plan.

Also a few hundred dollars for routine care each year is a non-issue. More serious problems like root canals, implants, etc. need to be checked. The difference is between $150 and $3000.

In general dental insurance is not insurance in any normal sense of the word but may still be advantageous to have.
ekid

Post by ekid »

I've had great experience going to Hungary for +$1000.+ work. Oldest crown is 15+ years old.

Been back 3 times. (doesn't work for minor stuff like $150 charges, or orthodontics)
sport

Post by sport »

In my experience, the quality of the dental work is more important than the price. I once had a dentist friend tell me:
"You will know within 5 minutes whether or not you like your new dentist. It will take you 5 years to find out if they are any good."
dm200

Post by dm200 »

To do a proper apples to apples comparison, use the standard dental procedure codes.
evelynmanley

Post by evelynmanley »

jebmke wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:21 pm Check out dental plans dot com to see if there are any discount plans that your dentist would accept (or, if willing to change dentists, another dentist would accept).

I just had an appointment last week; rack rate for cleaning and exam was $163; my charge was $77.
My dentist gives a 5% discount if we pay with cash or check. I have previously looked at dentalplans.com, and their discount rates are exactly the same as the rates my dentist charges with the 5% discount.

I have Kaiser Medicare Advantage, and they are now offering Delta Care USA coverage at no extra charge. Unfortunately, the dental facilities that accept this insurance in my area (Sacramento, CA area) are very subpar, and the reviews on these facilities' websites are abysmal.

I wish I had known about HSAs when I was much, much younger and would have had time to build up a decent HSA balance to pay for dental expenses in my older age.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

Are you or spouse veterans? There's met life dental for veterans.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
mkalman

Post by mkalman »

Self-employed. Cash pay for dentist. IMHO flexibility matters. My preferred dentist is out of network for most plans (I believe only Delta Dental Premier) and he is not cheap but I get a high amount of personal attention, his home cellphone and email, next day emergency appointments, and never any upsell or unnecessary treatments. What I would have paid for dental insurance I am happy to pay him instead and get a known benefit of a solid relationship.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Is $150 affordable for you? If not, consider going to a local community college which has a dental hygiene program. Very low cost, often free, cleanings in many locales.

You can also buy dental insurance if you prefer.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

I pay $61/month for Delta Dental thru AARP. So far, I've been a loser. I got the coverage after losing family dental coverage (long story) because I was worried about having to pay some inflated "high sticker" price if I need a root canal and or crown work. Or even something more. I'd probably be better off getting a recommended dental "plan", that's basically a low cost membership into something where there is a list of dentists who accept a fee schedule. I'm too lazy/reluctant to give up what I have now, but I'm realizing more and more that I'm probably overpaying for "insurance" that many be an illusion.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

We're in California, and I have a dental plan through Costco.

Dental Plan for Costco Members--Plans are currently available in AZ, CA, FL, MD, NV, OR, PA, TX & WA.

It's really a group discount plan, but it works for me.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
TexasPE

Post by TexasPE »

mkalman wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:54 pm Cash pay for dentist. IMHO flexibility matters. My preferred dentist is out of network for most plans (I believe only Delta Dental Premier) and he is not cheap but I get a high amount of personal attention, his home cellphone and email, next day emergency appointments, and never any upsell or unnecessary treatments. What I would have paid for dental insurance I am happy to pay him instead and get a known benefit of a solid relationship.
+1
At 20: I cared what everyone thought about me | At 40: I didn't give a damn what anyone thought of me | Now that I'm 60: I realize that no one was really thinking about me at all | Winston Churchill (?)
atwood

Post by atwood »

$150 isn't unreasonable. $225 or a bit mor seems to be the going rate here in NE Florida. I found a dentist who has a yearly $199 plan that gives you two cleanings and one set of x-rays a year plus !0% off any other services. His office doesn't have TVs on the ceiling or headphones, no juices or cookies, none of which I need at the dentist.
Sammy45

Post by Sammy45 »

evelynmanley wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:01 pm I have previously looked at dentalplans.com, and their discount rates are exactly the same as the rates my dentist charges with the 5% discount.
I just called my Dentist about the similar Aetna Vital Savings discount card often mentioned here - the insurance person researched it and called to say, "Our [cash] rates are actually lower - you wouldn't save a thing"

Have researched delta, Costco, AARP and USAA/Cigna - The USAA Cigna 1000 plan seemed like the best value and 100% covers preventive visits, unlike most others I checked. However it doesn't cover any major procedures at all - but you do get Cigna contract rate at least if you go to one of their providers.

In the end - likely go with paying cash for a 5% discount.
Leesbro63

Post by Leesbro63 »

Sammy45 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 5:22 pm but you do get Cigna contract rate at least if you go to one of their providers.
In my mind, this is the main thing that is needed.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

If you have a good dentist, stick with the practice. The extra cost will pay for itself in the long run. As noted above, dental schools are a good resource if they are available. I know folks who use them for implants, bridges &c.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
blueberrypi

Post by blueberrypi »

I've used Careington dental discount plan for the past two years and paid the balance out of my HSA. Prior to that I went to a clinic at a dental school. They did a good job but it took extra time - the students work very thoroughly and carefully, and need someone to check their work after.

Decided to enroll in dental insurance this year through my employer but there are other options that are pretty affordable.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Take really good care of your teeth and avoid deep cleaning! Of course that means flossing at least daily! When you go on Medicare get plan C with free dental!
P&C actuary

Post by P&C actuary »

I live in HCOL area and the contracted rate for my employer plan for cleaning with CIGNA is $87 and has been for several years. Maybe the other post with CIGNA contract rates is worth a look.

Been seeing this dentist for 25 years.
PowderDay9

Post by PowderDay9 »

atwood wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:23 pm $150 isn't unreasonable. $225 or a bit mor seems to be the going rate here in NE Florida. I found a dentist who has a yearly $199 plan that gives you two cleanings and one set of x-rays a year plus !0% off any other services. His office doesn't have TVs on the ceiling or headphones, no juices or cookies, none of which I need at the dentist.
Dental charges can vary a fair amount between different dentists and regions but the nationwide average charge for a cleaning is about $100. An oral exam is about $55. So $150 for both is about right if you're walking in without insurance or a discount plan. With either of those I'd expect the allowed charge to be 20-50% less.

The 2 cleanings, x-ray (and presumably 1 exam) for $199 is almost as good of a rate as having insurance or discount plan. Dentists do that to get more patients in chairs and then they make their money off class III procedures like crowns. The nationwide average crown cost (D2740) is over $1200. Saving 10% means you pay around $1100. If you had insurance, the contacted rate might be around $800 of which you might pay $400 after a typical 50% coinsurance. You might also need a root canal, etc and you quickly wish you weren't paying almost full charged amounts.

I agree the quality of a dentist should outweigh the cost. The difficult part is for a consumer to judge the quality of a dentist beforehand.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

dbr wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 2:35 pm Explore dental insurance and check which plans a possible dentist accepts and what is the charge when under that plan. The point is that if the dentist accepts the plan he also accepts the negotiated rates under that plan. That might save you more than the cost of the plan.

Also a few hundred dollars for routine care each year is a non-issue. More serious problems like root canals, implants, etc. need to be checked. The difference is between $150 and $3000.

In general dental insurance is not insurance in any normal sense of the word but may still be advantageous to have.
I entirely agree.

During the last 18 months, I've had three root canals and crowns for each. The total cost without insurance at the billed rate would have been over $10k, but the total billed to insurance was around $7k, IIRC. Differences like those can make insurance worthwhile. In my estimation, dental insurance is one of the few areas where there's a better than average chance that you'll pay less by having the insurance rather than self-paying.
The Sensible Steward
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

123 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:24 pm If you are near a School of Dentistry try them. Prices are reasonable. It can take awhile to get appointments. The work is done by students and monitored by professors so the work is good, but the process can be slow. A routine filling in a regular dental office might take 15 - 30 minutes but it can take 1 - 2 hours at a dental school.

I was in a similar situation when I first entered the work force. I actually enjoyed going to the dental school for work. They appreciate the patience of the patients.
I highly recommend dental schools too. In my experience, they are less likely to tell you that you need expensive work that you actually don't need.
dallasjava

Post by dallasjava »

I am not sure where you live, but another approach is medical tourism if you or your family end up needing a major procedure.
Cecelio

Post by Cecelio »

I use to feel great about paying cash for dental and medical needs. I though it was a win-win. The doctors office gets to keep more of the money. And as long as I stay healthy, I pay very little. But over the past 5 years (started before COVID) prices kept going up and up. Use to pay $50 - $100 to see a Dr. Now $200+. Even Medfast was $170 just for the visit. Use to pay $80 for a cleaning, $40 for exam (optional), $40 for basic xrays (once a year). Now they want me to pay $380 a year upfront for 2 cleanings, 2 exams, 1 xray. And they tell me it is a great deal. With Dr's, they look at me like I am a moron when I start negotiating the price because what insurance tells them to bill and what they actually get are so drastically different. They act like that is not true or they never heard that before. Guess I am a dying breed. Or cash is a dying breed. I don't get why anyone thinks paying a middle man tons of money makes for a better deal. The opposite has occurred in the short and long run. My old primary care Dr went old school. Quit his job and no longer takes insurance. Has only 100 patients. $1,500 annual buy in each. 2 at home checkup visits a year included. Not sure what else. His wife is his secretary. That's what's up! I couldn't afford it, though.
Bogle-007

Post by Bogle-007 »

Interesting thread. I always thought the financially savvy way was to pay cash and avoid insurance when it comes to routine dental care (at leas this was the way years ago). Looks like things are changing? I'll be reading closely...
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

OnTrack2020 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:27 pm You could ask your current dentist if there is a discount for paying with cash. Also, the $150 for a cleaning doesn't seem unreasonable.
I've been seeing the same dentist for many years. He hates dental insurance. He offers a loyalty plan whereby I pay upfront for a year's coverage for recommended cleanings/xrays/exam and a discount if I need additional work (e.g., fillings). I compared what the same would cost with standard (and limited) insurance coverage, and it penciled out to be about the same. But the advantage is the continuing discount if I need more work than is covered by insurance limit. He has not upped the price for 4+ years I have been on this plan.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

We moved 3 years ago, and looked for a dentist in this area (metro Boston). Our new (new to us) guy has a "discount" plan that works well for us. I've had a crown since joining, and cost was on par with what others describe here. Here's a description of the plan:

RAP: Roth Advantage Membership Plan
$99 individual annual membership
All Xrays no charge
20-10% discounts on all services
Our staff will be happy to explain how you can RAP with us if you have no insurance.

I suppose there are various variations on this theme.