Interesting Part Time Jobs

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
keyfort

Interesting Part Time Jobs

Post by keyfort »

Does anyone have ideas for an interesting part time job? I'm starting to get severe cabin fever working from home (self-employed) and feel like I need some kind of interaction outside the home with others.

As long as I'm not being taken advantage of, I'm not too concerned with pay rates. I've been applying for part time library jobs but no luck so far.
Elvizzle

Re: Interesting Part Time Jobs

Post by Elvizzle »

I was in your same position last year, so I started to work at Target part time. I really like how busy it got and it was nice to see how a huge store worked. My goal was to work there only during the holiday season, so I stopped a few weeks ago. You get to interact with people, get loads of exercise, and you don’t have to “think” about work when your shift is over. I might go back to Target when I get that cabin fever feeling again.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (how you spend your money and your time).

Elvizzle, Welcome!
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

keyfort wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:13 pm Does anyone have ideas for an interesting part time job? I'm starting to get severe cabin fever working from home (self-employed) and feel like I need some kind of interaction outside the home with others.

As long as I'm not being taken advantage of, I'm not too concerned with pay rates. I've been applying for part time library jobs but no luck so far.
No idea what you might consider "interesting", nor what you are qualified to do.
In the town where I live, pretty much every employer is looking for help - from the local hospital to the sandwich shop.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

I teach tai chi 3 hours per week at a local college. The pay is terrible, considering the amount of skill required to qualify for the job, but I’m not doing it for money. I didn’t actually know that it paid anything at all when I agreed to do it.

Anyway, to my actual point. It’s much easier to get interesting volunteer jobs than interesting part time jobs that pay. If you’re looking for socialization more than money, you might consider that. We currently usher for the symphony. We’ve also assisted in dog training classes, mentored middle school kids, and let people up eight flights of steps to look at a view. They were all interesting and had a lot of interaction with people.

Post by 123 »

If you don't object to kids how about being a crossing guard near an school? Depends on your local area whether they are used.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

keyfort wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 3:13 pm Does anyone have ideas for an interesting part time job? I'm starting to get severe cabin fever working from home (self-employed) and feel like I need some kind of interaction outside the home with others.

From the number of inquiries on this website, consider the following:

Expert quality deck builder.

Expert quality leak detection and repair.

Property management company.

Licensed reputable home inspector.

j :D :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
vanbogle59

Post by vanbogle59 »

I have a friend who was a successful finance professional who really enjoyed pushing shopping carts. God as my witness!
I have always thought I would love teaching HS, but failed miserably at it twice.
I think this is an empirical question you have to answer for yourself. N=1.

All I can suggest is try things and don't be afraid to fail fast. If it's not working, move on to the next experiment.
Best of luck!
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Local bar or winery helping hand?
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

School or city bus driver jobs come with union benefits.
calwatch

Post by calwatch »

It seems that school bus driver is quite popular: https://www.mukilteoschools.org/Page/14983
Also, regular bus driver - you usually start part time by union rule and can decline any promotion offered if you want.
Substitute teaching (you either like it or you don't).
Uber/Lyft driving, to get the interaction.
Although a little late now, tax preparation. H&R Block will have the tax course around fall of the year and they regularly hire from that group. You could get a receptionist job now but they won't prepare returns. The other big firms also provide this service as well. There is some selling of the refund anticipation product but legal changes have reduced the amount that they push this.
celia

Post by celia »

The Red Cross desperately needs volunteers for working at the pop-up blood drives. I donated today and am thinking of setting up more blood drive locations for them. Their website lets people sign-up online. But set-ups, take-downs, and greeters are common jobs. Some areas also need drivers to transport the blood.

They also do year-round training if you want to work at a shelter after a natural disaster or out in the field distributing food. About 90% of the work is done by volunteers but they also need 10% of paid staff to keep the volunteers trained and assigned to jobs that fit the volunteers. Everyone who volunteers there is interesting as each person has different experiences and abilities.

https://www.redcross.org/
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I also recommend the Red Cross for interactions outside the home.

My Mom was a Red Cross volunteer for more years than I can remember. She has absolutely no medical training and helped out with the blood drives. In addition to handling the snacks and minor administrative duties, she was the person you could talk to while you were there.

She very much enjoyed the social interactions with the other volunteer workers and the donors. The Red Cross appreciated her efforts. When she was no longer able to volunteer, the organization gave her a very nice certificate signed by the other volunteers.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
winterfan

Post by winterfan »

My favorite job was washing dishes in a restaurant. I loved it. The people I worked with in the kitchen are a lot of fun. I also know people who work at garden centers during the spring/summer taking care of plants, etc.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Get a nice used van with a roof rack for ladders. Cargo van, sprinter size is good.

Magnetic sign on the side.

"Joe's Handyman Service".
"Rent a Husband".
"We Do HoneyDoos" (when honey won't).
"Fixit Now:Call Now". or other business name.
or specialize. . .
"Screens R Us"
"Get Unplugged Now"

You will be very busy in a short time. Earn side $$$$.
If prices and service is great, it will grow.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Mindbender

Post by Mindbender »

You could consider volunteer fire/ems in your area. There always is a need, you interact with a ton of people and I find it fulfilling.
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

Work at one your local shooting ranges or gun store.
Sun88

Post by Sun88 »

I'm working at the rental counter for the local ski hill. My coworkers are a nice mix of high schoolers on up to retirees. Plenty of social interaction with the customers. The job includes a free pass and I can use the rental equipment - great to pop over for a couple hours of skiing when the weather is good. It also includes discount passes so I'm introducing the grandkids to skiing. So far, so good!
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed a contentious post and reply regarding school crossing guards. As a reminder, see: General Etiquette
We expect this forum to be a place where people can feel comfortable asking questions and where debates and discussions are conducted in civil tones.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Not a part time job...but I work at home in sales and havent been on a sales call, other than phone calls, in two months.

Solution...I go to the Y nearly daily for a workout and instead of heading home after the workout, I go to sauna then to the locker room. Not so many conversations while working out...everyone listens to their phones, but the sauna and locker rooms offers considerable discussions.

Ed
blueberrypi

Post by blueberrypi »

Healthcare or retail are hiring.. understatement of the century. Libraries are pretty competitive in that people Want to work there and tend not to leave. I wish that were true at the hospital :oops:

I worked over the holidays at a big sporting goods store one year and it was a surprisingly fun place with good co workers.
Galt guy

Post by Galt guy »

As mentioned earlier, working at a winery is an option for some. I retired in late 2019 and after a few months off, started working at a wine tasting work room a couple days a month and also mornings Monday-Friday during the harvest/winemaking season. That job lasts about six weeks in late summer to early fall, and consists taking various measurements of the juice as it ferments. Not a very physical job, either. Fringe benefits aren’t too bad!

Post by 123 »

Golf course starter or the person who drives around (caged vehicle) to gather balls from the driving range.

Barista at your local Starbucks or competitor. See repeat customers. Menu is limited so its not difficult to master all the skills.

Counter person at local UPS Store. Some stores may require you to become a notary public within 3 months.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
doobiedoo

Post by doobiedoo »

123 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:53 pm Golf course starter or the person who drives around (caged vehicle) to gather balls from the driving range.
When I went to my 40th high school reunion, one of the events was a round of golf. The starter at the golf course was our 8th grade history teacher! He actually looked about the same! At least I recognized him, which was more than I could say for some of the members of my class. Everyone called him "Satch".
Topic Author
keyfort

Post by keyfort »

Sorry to bump this thread. Just wanted to say thank you all for the replies and plenty of good ideas for me to try out here.