Negotiating Pay Raise with an Internal, Lateral Move

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
BradJ

Negotiating Pay Raise with an Internal, Lateral Move

Post by BradJ »

Movement in my company is quite common, and many are lateral moves from people who want to learn a different facet of the company. I’ve done this once and was not offered any extra money since I was “close to the top” in my pay grade. I’m considering making another lateral move and want to take the gamble of asking for a small pay bump, any ideas?
PaunchyPirate

Re: Negotiating Pay Raise with an Internal, Lateral Move

Post by PaunchyPirate »

Who came up with the idea for a lateral move? You or someone else in the company. If you request it, you don't have much leverage. If a manager approached you to come over to their team, then you should ask "what can you do to make this worth my time?"
Afty

Post by Afty »

Maybe the companies where I've worked are unusual, but I would find it puzzling if someone wanted to transfer to my team, in the same role and level, but wanted a raise to do it. You'd be doing the same job, at the same scope, just in a different team -- why would you expect more money?
Topic Author
BradJ

Post by BradJ »

Afty wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 11:46 am Maybe the companies where I've worked are unusual, but I would find it puzzling if someone wanted to transfer to my team, in the same role and level, but wanted a raise to do it. You'd be doing the same job, at the same scope, just in a different team -- why would you expect more money?
It will be a different role but both responses posted to my question have provided the answer I needed. Thank you for your help.