Offsetting cg event with charitable donation - deduction limit?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
jennrod12

Offsetting cg event with charitable donation - deduction limit?

Post by jennrod12 »

I have an unexpected capital gains event. My former company is being sold for cash and I have a lot of shares. I thought I would open a Donor Advised Fund (DAF) and contribute some shares before the sale closes, so I don't have to pay capital gains on those shares. I would also get a tax deduction for the donation. Other than this capital gain, my income from pension and Social Security is about $100k.

I found this nifty website to run various donation scenarios to determine how much I'd like to donate. https://smartasset.com/investing/capita ... XxsKzJJ7Ju However, it will not let me enter itemized deductions greater than my Annual Income, which it defines as the income separate from my capital gains, which is $100k.

Is it true that if I donated, say, $150k, I could only take itemized deductions of $100k, even if I still had capital gains of about $300k above that amount?
Last edited by jennrod12 on Sat Jan 22, 2022 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrJedi

Re: Offsetting cg event with charitable donation - deduction limit?

Post by MrJedi »

Deducting appreciated shares to DAF is limited to 30% of your AGI.

Keep in mind if you are donating shares, the shares that you are donating do not count toward your income (this is precisely how you are avoiding a capital gains tax, the unrealized capital gain never goes into your income in the first place).
rkhusky

Re: Offsetting cg event with charitable donation - deduction limit?

Post by rkhusky »

MrJedi wrote: Sat Jan 22, 2022 2:57 pm Deducting appreciated shares to DAF is limited to 30% of your AGI.
Thanks for this info. I mistakenly thought it was 60%.