Strange ACH Refund of Credit Card Payment

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
jcgvt01

Strange ACH Refund of Credit Card Payment

Post by jcgvt01 »

So I saw something new the other day. I downloaded my recent credit card transactions from my big-bank credit card and noticed a new strange "ACH Payment Refund" transaction dated 2 days ago which was in the amount of my last month's (paid towards the end of December) payment in full minus the $25 minimum required payment. It looked like they sent back my payment via ACH - with the amount added back to my CC balance. I of course did not request any such refund, nor did I know you "ask for your money back" once it's been sent in and paid in full (like I've done for the past 25 years each month)

So I called big-bank and was transferred up 1 level after the first CS rep didn't know what it was.

Me - So you sent my payment back via ACH?
Very Nice CS Rep - yes
Me - Which account did you sent my payment back to ?
Very Nice CS Rep - I can't tell.
Me - Well I don't have the money back in my original payment account - the only account I've ever used to pay this CC bill.
Very Nice CS Rep - We'll investigate. Oh I guess we should get you a new CC account number.

Why would a bank refund a CC payment to a DIFFERENT account than the originating account? I haven't seen the money show up in my own account as of yet. Has anyone else seen any sort of ACH payment refunds on CC's before ?

I keep a pretty good watch on accounts/credit reports. Nothing unusual - no strange charges or changes on credit reports. Just this strange ACH payment refund.
plannerman

Re: Strange ACH Refund of Credit Card Payment

Post by plannerman »

While this could simply be an error on the part of your big bank, it could also be a hack--either internal or external. Your "refund" could very well be in the hacker's account. I suggest you notify your big bank's fraud department directly ASAP.

plannerman
slickwillie

Post by slickwillie »

Did you login to the credit card account and confirm all your personal information and payment sources are correct?
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

Can you share which of Chase, Citi, Cap One, BofA, or Wells Fargo is the "big bank?"
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)