How do I enter the workforce after 16 years?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
luckybamboo

How do I enter the workforce after 16 years?

Post by luckybamboo »

Hello BH
I decided to quit my job in 2004 within information systems division of a megacorp to be a full time mother. Both of my children are in college now. DH wants to either take a sabbatical or wants to do freelancing as he is burnt out from high stress job. We have no debt and enough financial cushion to pay our bills for 18 months. The only concern is healthcare insurance.
I have a masters in computer science and information systems but my skills are dated.
What are my options for going back to workforce to get a job with benefits like health insurance?
What education/skills can I build relatively quickly?
What kind of jobs would consider me given the large gap in employment?
TIA
Afty

Re: How do I enter the workforce after 16 years?

Post by Afty »

Facebook/Meta has a Return To Work program for people who have been away from work for 2 or more years: https://www.facebookcareers.com/faceboo ... rk/?page=1
Jablean

Post by Jablean »

Get on LinkedIn - you'll have to create your own profile. Look up some companies that you might be interested in and pull up profiles of some of their workers. They'll list some of their skills, programming languages, etc and it will give you an idea of what is in common use.

See if you have a local Women in Technology chapter - search on facebook, talk to the state Women's Business Center (they'll often work together). Find your state's Million Women Mentors leaders (state list here https://mwm.stemconnector.com/states-initiative/) They'll have contacts for women in STEM groups.

Some states have a Tech Council of local technology companies and they'll know who's hiring. Many job services have money specifically geared to getting people back into the workforce.

Fastest way to get up to speed on certain programming languages or skills for someone who needs to brush up is Coursera etc. Many classes on Python etc that you can start and finish in your time frame.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

luckybamboo wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:19 am I have a masters in computer science and information systems but my skills are dated.
What are my options for going back to workforce to get a job with benefits like health insurance?
There are plenty of jobs that someone with a masters in computer science and information systems could land, even with dated skills. Look at a job site for your area or one that offers remote jobs if that is your preference. See what kinds of skills they are requiring.

If you still have connections within your professional network, lean on them. Freshen up your contacts. Ask what they may have heard is available. I left my first career in IT and went to work in the family business for a while. When I decided to get back into tech, I contacted my friends. One had just joined a startup and told me they were hiring. I applied, got hired for a role I had never done before, and launched the best career I ever had.

If the particular jobs that interest you require updated skills, then update yours. Local colleges and community colleges offer plenty of online learning opportunities these days.

Try not to focus too narrowly. Perhaps the particular job you held in the past requires more updated skills today. But there are related jobs that may not.

Consider that after years away you may need to take a step back in job level.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
alpine_boglehead

Post by alpine_boglehead »

It's quite likely that there are still companies around looking for people with the skillset you had back then, i.e. which still have old systems/software that need to be maintained.

Not the most forward looking option, for sure.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I would just go out and apply for some jobs and see what happens. You can read all you want here, but until you go out and do, it really won't matter.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

Apply to the related IT area you are familiar with. Mostly too technical roles may not suit you as technology changed.
Look for program management or process implementation roles.

Roles such as in PMO, to make sure the projects follow the process... check documents, put up the management reports, push project through the gates, etc.

You can apply to contract houses and become a contract roles, these firms are always looking for people... with the remote roles your opportunities are much larger...

Also set a timeframe of two years to adjust and get the role you want, do two to three months roles in the meantime..any IT job is good for now, then navigate...
Invest when you have the money, sell when you need the money, for real life expenses...
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Depends where you live and what employers need. My son worked in a structural engineering group at a submarine manufacturing plant for a summer. All modeling software used was in Fortran. Experts to get help in online forums were all in Eastern Europe and India because Fortran isn't cool in the US so very few people are familiar. They were paying far over scale for programmers who had good Fortran skills.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

Make sure that you actually have a health insurance problem. Check out ACA insurance.

Check out local government job. Pay may not be good but the benefits may be worthwhile.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

You must have friends or acquaintances in your peer group who work or are even hiring managers at companies.
My recommendation would be to talk to a lot of them about what interviewing is like now, what roles are needed, and what will make you a compelling candidate

Maybe you can tidy up your resume, interview skills, and make some kind of project that’s skills or business related for 6-8 weeks, then start interviewing
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
backpacker61

Post by backpacker61 »

When I was out of work, I found my state's workforce commission job board useful for finding roles to apply for in my area.

I found a good position through them; one with good health benefits, employee stock (RSU and ESPP), 401k matching, even paid sabbaticals(!) etc., and have been in my current role for another 11 years.

Another option would be contracting firms like KellyIT, which could put you in a contracting role temporarily, that could transition to FT.
“Now shall I walk or shall I ride? | 'Ride,' Pleasure said; | 'Walk,' Joy replied.” | | ― W.H. Davies
MadAsgardian

Post by MadAsgardian »

As others have said, companies are starting to see value in those who want to return to the workforce, and are creating various "returnship" programs to ease the transition.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/01/success/ ... index.html
Parkinglotracer

Post by Parkinglotracer »

Have any friends from your workforce years ago you can connect with? Linked in profile to start and connect with old workmates there … spruce up resume and ask friends to review your resume for suggestions … conversation will end up focusing on your job hunt … continue to network. Good luck!
JAZZISCOOL

Post by JAZZISCOOL »

MadAsgardian wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:16 am As others have said, companies are starting to see value in those who want to return to the workforce, and are creating various "returnship" programs to ease the transition.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/01/success/ ... index.html
+1

In addition, if not already mentioned, Carol Fishman Cohen, CEO and co-founder of iRelaunch, has a podcast and co-authored a book on this topic. Their website has many excellent resources. Carol, a Harvard MBA, was a "relauncher" herself and is a well-known resource for helping women (and men) in returning to the workforce.

https://www.irelaunch.com/

https://www.irelaunch.com/podcast

https://www.irelaunch.com/resources/bac ... reer-track

Path Forward is another organization mentioned in one of the articles linked above:

https://www.pathforward.org/

Lockheed Martin is one example of a company that has a returnship program:

https://www.lockheedmartinjobs.com/chapter-next

Not sure if any have remote programs given the pandemic but worth checking out.

"HARVARD BUSINESS REVIEW MAGAZINE

Return to Work Programs Come of Age

In her recently published article from Harvard Business Review entitled “Return to Work Programs Come of Age,” iRelaunch CEO and Co-founder Carol Fishman Cohen provides a fresh new look at return to work programs and offers best practices for hiring managers who want to use them effectively. Whether you are contemplating starting a RTW program, you're already piloting one and are looking to expand it, or you have a mature program and want to make it better, this article is a must-read."
galving

Post by galving »

livesoft wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:07 am I would just go out and apply for some jobs and see what happens. You can read all you want here, but until you go out and do, it really won't matter.
Completely agree.
We hired an individual that had been out of the workforce for sometime, and ended up having to promote them 2 x in 2 years because they were outperforming the original position(s).
The most important thing was to get the 'foot in the door', see the company culture, and where you can add value.
FinanceGeek

Post by FinanceGeek »

Once you have figured out (from LinkedIn, networking, etc.) what skills you need to grow, consider attending a code bootcamp, particularly one which you can pay for after you graduate and are employed.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

From your post, it sounds like you worked in a technical role rather than a managerial one. There are some good suggestions above. As someone that retired 5 years ago (from a technical role) and have considered going back to work, what I can tell you is you may be able to find something in your field but you will probably need to have low pay expectations. After that long off, it is almost as if you are starting over from a technical perspective. Good luck.

In comparison to the year 2k boom where they would hire taxi cab drivers to code I think this supposed big shortage of workers is completely different at least for IT.
AnEngineer

Post by AnEngineer »

KlangFool wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:58 am Make sure that you actually have a health insurance problem. Check out ACA insurance.
+1
luckybamboo wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:19 am ...DH wants to either take a sabbatical or wants to do freelancing as he is burnt out from high stress job. We have no debt and enough financial cushion to pay our bills for 18 months. The only concern is healthcare insurance. ...
Are you concerned about cost or availability? You can keep your DH's insurance for up to 18 months via COBRA if you pay the full cost.
runner540

Post by runner540 »

Great timing with a strong labor market!

Look for “returnship” (instead of internship) programs:
https://www.goldmansachs.com/careers/pr ... eturnship/
Watty

Post by Watty »

I hope this does not sound sexist but as a woman in IT you will have a huge advantage in applying for jobs since IT departments are watched carefully to try to make sure that they are diversified.

Being a woman will not get you a job you are not qualified for but it will sure as heck make it a lot easier to get interviews.

If you have a gender neutral name like Chris or Pat then be sure that something on resume makes it clear that you are female.

luckybamboo wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:19 am I decided to quit my job in 2004 within information systems division of a megacorp to be a full time mother.
I have a masters in computer science and information systems but my skills are dated.
With a masters in CS you likely were not writing too much code so your skills may not be as dated as you may be thinking especially with corporate IT.

I have a BS in CS and retired after mainly working in corporate IT for 35 years. In corporate IT things might not have changed as much as you might think. Accounting is still accounting, budgets are still budgets, inventory is still inventory, etc and someone will be doing what I what I did in my job 50 years from now even when the technology is totally different.

Things will have also changed a lot with things like the internet that were new when you left your last job but a lot will still be the same.

If you can focus on your business skills in Corporate IT then you should be able to find a good job even if it is a bit below where you were in your last job. In a few years you can likely advance a lot too.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

You can keep the insurance either using COBRA or by buying ACA insurance.

As far as going back to work, the first thing is to figure out what you want to do. Do you want to be technical, or are you ready to move to something more organizational, like project management, for example? What I would do is do some networking and start applying for jobs.

But at the same time, I would get some current training and experience. If you want to become technical, take a university extension course or two in machine learning or data science or computer security (or whatever current topic floats your boat). If you want to write code, find an open source project that is interesting to you and uses the technology that you want to use in the workplace, and start making contributions. If you want to work in a technology adjacent area, take courses to get PMP certification or something like that.

When I had been in management for several years but wanted to get back to being an individual contributor, I went the open source route. I picked a project, started contributing, and used my work on that as something to talk about in my interviews. It worked beautifully.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Watty wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 10:27 am I hope this does not sound sexist but as a woman in IT you will have a huge advantage in applying for jobs since IT departments are watched carefully to try to make sure that they are diversified.

Being a woman will not get you a job you are not qualified for but it will sure as heck make it a lot easier to get interviews.
I wish guys would stop saying this, because it’s mostly not true.

I worked for a FAANG, and part of my job was working on a team that was focused on increasing the numbers of underrepresented people (mostly women) in technical roles. We had special hiring events, went to conferences, and did everything we could to get women in the door and then keep them once they were hired. For the small number of mega companies that have been in the news for the lack of women on staff, that much is true. It *is* easier to get an interview.

Once the women reached the interview stage, however, it became the same old buys club. The interview process and hiring criteria, in both overt and subtle ways, made sure that the actual proportion of women at the company never budged in the several years that I was working with them on this problem. And no, the problem was not lack of women in the pipeline.

Having said that, someone who has been out of the workplace for 16 years is not going to be focused on those companies.

What I can say about the rest of the industry is that it is not as bad for women there as at the top companies. It’s also not as bad as it was 30 years ago, when I used to go to work and guys would have pinup posters on their cubicle walls. The 2nd tier companies have more women (probably closer to 2/3 men, 1/3 women), and hiring is a more balanced process that doesn’t disadvantage women so spectacularly. That said, those companies aren’t going out of their way to find and recruit women, either.

So yeah, I can say it’s easier to get hired as a woman than it was a few decades ago, but being a woman isn’t particularly the advantage that men seem to think it is. It just isn’t as big a disadvantage as it used to be.
schwank

Post by schwank »

With your background you could do a bit of training in cloud technology and quickly acquire a basic level certification to demonstrate initiative and continuing education. That may rekindle passion and help identify an area you would like to focus on. There are a wide variety of technical roles outside Software Dev including Technical Acct Managrment that walk a line between tech and business.

I agree that being female won't change the hiring bar but companies are looking to increase the diversity especially of technical teams. I disagree about boys club attitudes, my team and those around me are very focused (and not subtly encouraged) on changing team composition.
make_a_better_world

Post by make_a_better_world »

It's probably the best time ever to try as so many companies are desperate to hire.

I would start by browsing job offers on Indeed.com or Linkedin and see if I could find anything that remotely fits skills I have or interest me to acquire. I'd start activities to brush up (plenty of free resources online). And then I would not hesitate to apply for many of them and learn as you go.

The most important thing is simply getting started.
Topic Author
luckybamboo

Post by luckybamboo »

I am overwhelmed with all the constructive ideas and suggestions that all of you have offered. I am making a comprehensive list of the most common suggestions and start acting on it.
Yes, I am connected with my past colleagues and manager. I have socialized with them off and on and they have high regards for my skills and potential. I never thought about contacting them to re-enter the workforce.
Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate your support.
Topic Author
luckybamboo

Post by luckybamboo »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 9:40 am From your post, it sounds like you worked in a technical role rather than a managerial one. There are some good suggestions above. As someone that retired 5 years ago (from a technical role) and have considered going back to work, what I can tell you is you may be able to find something in your field but you will probably need to have low pay expectations. After that long off, it is almost as if you are starting over from a technical perspective. Good luck.

In comparison to the year 2k boom where they would hire taxi cab drivers to code I think this supposed big shortage of workers is completely different at least for IT.
I started out in a technical role right out of college but I was a manager of a team of 10 when I left the workforce.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

I had been unemployed for more than 1 year a few times. I had changed industry. I have moved across the world to find new employment a few times. And, I had jobs ranging from technical to sales/marketing.

So, some of my following observations as the following may be useful to you.

1) You are probably disconnected from the current employer's expectation.

2) It goes both ways. You are probably worst than what you think in some places. And, you are probably much better than what you think in some places. Basically, you have no idea. So, you should go in with an open mind. Assume that you know nothing. Throw something on the wall and see what sticks.

3) A job specification is an employer wish list. They pray that they can get everything. But, they won't or they are not willing to pay that much if that person exists. Or, that person may not choose them.

4) You need to use your social network and ask them to give you an impartial view of you.

5) People hire people.

6) You probably have to try out a few interviews before you get a sense of what employer is looking for. And, what quality inside you that make you stand out from the rest.

7) Please note that your assumption of what you are and how you look to the employer could be totally wrong.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
moneyflowin

Post by moneyflowin »

I'm guessing you're in your mid 40s to 50s?

You will have some barriers to overcome. Not just your dated technical skills, but ageism. I know very smart people with 25 years of experience who got laid off in their 50s, even with a strong, consistent employment history. I myself saw it when I was younger.

IT workers are like athletes, after a certain age, employers place less value on them. That said, if you're motivated enough, you can study hard to regain your lost technical skills. Whether you still have enough mental sharpness and acumen, will help determine if you can land a technical job

Managerial IT jobs are a different story.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

luckybamboo wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:19 am DH wants to either take a sabbatical or wants to do freelancing as he is burnt out from high stress job. We have no debt and enough financial cushion to pay our bills for 18 months.
You are fortunate that DH's desire to take time off is a "want" and not being forced on him. 18 months is not a lot of savings, and if you're not in a position to permanently retire without his income, I would not surrender that job until you are employed and and have enough time on the job to know it will work out. As an older worker with a stale resume, you're going to face a lot of challenges. As far as job hunting, Linkedin is good resource, but every position I have actually landed in my career has been though contacts and people in the profession who knew me personally. I consider myself very lucky to have landed a good job when the need arose in my 50s. I'd start scheduling lunches with your old friends who are still in the workforce and let them know you are looking.
danaht

Post by danaht »

You had a good reason to leave back then and to take a long leave of absence - you probably won't have too much trouble getting another job. Every week I see postings of new IT openings - more so than I have seen in the past 20 years. I think companies are desperate now to find workers. It's a huge shortage right now. You probably won't have difficulty finding a job - but you might need to start at the beginning again (it may not be for a senior level position) But after a year or two of new experience they should be able to promote you to that senior position.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

danaht wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:03 am You had a good reason to leave back then and to take a long leave of absence - you probably won't have too much trouble getting another job. Every week I see postings of new IT openings - more so than I have seen in the past 20 years. I think companies are desperate now to find workers. It's a huge shortage right now. You probably won't have difficulty finding a job - but you might need to start at the beginning again (it may not be for a senior level position) But after a year or two of new experience they should be able to promote you to that senior position.
I keep hearing that. I'm not trying to be negative, but I believe the reason there are 10 million (or whatever the number is) unfilled jobs is because there aren't people with the skills/experience required willing to work for what those jobs pay.

I think you are right in that the OP should be able to find something in their field and work their way back up.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

luckybamboo wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:19 am Hello BH
I decided to quit my job in 2004 within information systems division of a megacorp to be a full time mother. Both of my children are in college now. DH wants to either take a sabbatical or wants to do freelancing as he is burnt out from high stress job. We have no debt and enough financial cushion to pay our bills for 18 months. The only concern is healthcare insurance.
What are my options for going back to workforce or to get a job with benefits like health insurance?
TIA
Perhaps look for some kind of sales support position where dated skills are not so much a problem.
Point

Post by Point »

You might consider knocking out a cert or two. With your background and skills it should be quick. Use these to show you are current and flexible.

https://grow.google/intl/ssa/google-certificates
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:14 am
danaht wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 9:03 am You had a good reason to leave back then and to take a long leave of absence - you probably won't have too much trouble getting another job. Every week I see postings of new IT openings - more so than I have seen in the past 20 years. I think companies are desperate now to find workers. It's a huge shortage right now. You probably won't have difficulty finding a job - but you might need to start at the beginning again (it may not be for a senior level position) But after a year or two of new experience they should be able to promote you to that senior position.
I keep hearing that. I'm not trying to be negative, but I believe the reason there are 10 million (or whatever the number is) unfilled jobs is because there aren't people with the skills/experience required willing to work for what those jobs pay.

I think you are right in that the OP should be able to find something in their field and work their way back up.
That has been my experience as well. As someone who doesn't spend nearly as much time and effort preparing for interviews as many of my peers, I have struggled with them my entire career. I just hate technical interviews down to my core. I know I'm not the only one and I should just suck it up, but I just really loathe the idea. Anyway, I know I'm not the only one who has had to deal with many rejections, because I have been on the other side of interviews in the companies I've worked at, and the process has always been similar. There are usually dozens of candidates who apply, and between the recruiter and manager, they filter out the vast majority pretty aggressively, even if they would be qualified. The rest get interviewed, and oftentimes, there may only be 1 slam-dunk candidate who has very specific experience relevant to the specific role, so the rest, however qualified, get cut. Then an offer goes out to the victor, and often, by that time, they either have another better offer, or they're asking for more than the company is willing to pay. Half the time, they end up walking away, and instead of calling back the second candidate, the company either postpones or restarts the hiring process, figuring that if the existing team held it together with a low headcount, they may as well keep doing that. Then they complain they can't find workers.

There is certainly lots of opportunity out there to fill in-demand positions, but in many cases, it requires independent preparation and study to qualify for them by becoming that slam-dunk candidate who has done very specific things relevant to the exact position. I suppose that's better than in many industries, but it's not the easy, stress-free situation the news likes to portray it as, where you just walk up with 6 months of programming experience, ask for a job, and they pay you a gazillion dollars because they're afraid you'll walk out the door.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Be sure not to take any rejection personally. Remember you only need one offer.
Carson

Post by Carson »

Sign up for the Mom Project. Lots of legit companies hiring with specific skills
GuayaquilEcu

Post by GuayaquilEcu »

Another perspective. With MS/ME degree in CS you are golden as long as you have your concepts its a pretty easy entry back, I would recommend trying some local companies/ Healthcare/government agencies they are always looking for good talent that have skills.

Local hospital systems and governmental agencies ( City/County/School systems) are having hardest time to attract talent and would welcome you with open heart, just from personal experience working in Healthcare systems in a small city and it was pain in the back to get decent talent in to IT also these might offer better work life balance* ( Past 18 months were stressful but things will get back to normal eventually, and lot of these companies are offering Flex work some even offer full remote work )
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

You may enjoy reading Leslie Bennetts’ book, The Feminine Mistake, on this topic, or watching her talk to Google staff on YouTube about her book. She has a section on tactics for getting back into the workforce after an extended absence.
DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII »

R and / or Python plus analytics in a particular industry. Just an idea, I am (probably) years younger than OP and have never left the work force so I cannot fully place myself in OP's shoes. But with a comp sci foundation I see no reason why OP cannot pickup some of the latest buzz in data science and establish theirself.
campy2010

Post by campy2010 »

Look for special programs at large tech companies. I work for a large company that periodically runs an internship type program for non-traditional employees trying to re-enter the software/IT field. There isn't a guaranteed job at the end but many are hired. And it focuses updating skills on the more current platforms and training. And it puts something recent on the resume.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

Jack FFR1846 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:51 am Depends where you live and what employers need. My son worked in a structural engineering group at a submarine manufacturing plant for a summer. All modeling software used was in Fortran. Experts to get help in online forums were all in Eastern Europe and India because Fortran isn't cool in the US so very few people are familiar. They were paying far over scale for programmers who had good Fortran skills.
This might be even easier to find now that there are a ton of remote only roles. But the competition is much tougher too.
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

luckybamboo wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 12:19 am Hello BH
TIA
1. Linkedin and Indeed are your friends. Look at open roles and make sure to have searches that look for remote only jobs too. There are way more than anyone realizes.
2. What skills did you have before? Programming, PM, BA, system analyst? It's help to know for more on point advice.
3. Learn about agile and scrum
wfrobinette

Post by wfrobinette »

DarkHelmetII wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:14 am R and / or Python plus analytics in a particular industry. Just an idea, I am (probably) years younger than OP and have never left the work force so I cannot fully place myself in OP's shoes. But with a comp sci foundation I see no reason why OP cannot pickup some of the latest buzz in data science and establish theirself.
I agree here as well. But data science means a lot of things to a lot of different people.

I don't know how one without a very solid foundation of stats/research could excel as a true data scientist. Now if there is a head of the department that guides people on the journey that's a different story.

That being said there are periphery roles that she could easily get into.

Data analyst
Data engineer