2022 Any Great Free Password Managers?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Genuinesarcasm

2022 Any Great Free Password Managers?

Post by Genuinesarcasm »

I know this thread comes up time to time and in the past I have been happy with 1 password. However now they are for fee and have a very annoying pop up that gets stuck.

Any suggestions? Free and Secure!

THanks
LongRoad

Re: 2022 Any Great Free Password Managers?

Post by LongRoad »

I'm happy with Bitwarden. Switched after LastPass crippled their free version.
Freefun

Post by Freefun »

I figure a good security is worth paying for.

I’ve been a user of 1Password for many years and I also deal with the pop-up with the free version. However I’m about to pay so I can use their dual authentication features. Security is an area that I don’t mind paying money for.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?
BogleTaxPro

Post by BogleTaxPro »

LongRoad wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:24 am I'm happy with Bitwarden. Switched after LastPass crippled their free version.
+1
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

I still have the free LastPass, no issues.
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

My wife and I have been using KeePass for several years on our PCs, phones, and tablets.
AnEngineer

Post by AnEngineer »

If you're already in the Google/Chrome ecosystem, it has this built in.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Genuinesarcasm wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:22 am I know this thread comes up time to time and in the past I have been happy with 1 password. However now they are for fee and have a very annoying pop up that gets stuck.

Any suggestions? Free and Secure!

THanks
Maybe change the title to "Any Barely Acceptable and Less Miserable to Use than Some Other Free Password Managers?"
bigskyguy

Post by bigskyguy »

punkinhead wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:35 am My wife and I have been using KeePass for several years on our PCs, phones, and tablets.
Ditto
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

AnEngineer wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:58 am If you're already in the Google/Chrome ecosystem, it has this built in.
+1

In terms of usability for those in Google's ecosystem, it's the one to beat.

There are arguments out there that Chrome's password manager is less secure than some of the alternatives, since it relies on the OS security locally, but they are largely irrelevant for the simple reason that if your local PC is compromised, it's game over no matter what password manager you use.

I put all my eggs into Google's basket, since my gmail account is the key to my digital kingdom anyway.

Other vendors tell you stories about how secure their software is, but ultimately, you have to trust them in their assessment.

I trust Google more.

ETA: I do use passphrase encryption option, so passwords are not visible to Google.
Last edited by Vulcan on Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

bigskyguy wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:11 am
punkinhead wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:35 am My wife and I have been using KeePass for several years on our PCs, phones, and tablets.
Ditto
We use it as well, for offline storage, over and above what is accomplished with Chrome's built-in pwd manager.

It requires some file juggling to share via cloud, and is probably not a good fit for all but the most technically adept.
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

AnEngineer wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:58 am If you're already in the Google/Chrome ecosystem, it has this built in.
But it doesn't give you a spot to store free-form text like PINs or the answers (or hints) for security questions.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Vulcan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:14 am ETA: I do use passphrase encryption option, so passwords are not visible to Google.
What is this?
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

I use LastPass free, and have forever with no problem. I don't notice the "crippling", but I use it just to remember passwords on my desktop.

The bottom line is this: what features do you want?

There's not a lot of password managers that are going to be free, secure, and offer lots of features for free. Maybe someone has a recommendation of something open source or better than 1Password or LastPass... but is this an area you want to skimp?

I've never considered paying for the tool, but glancing at 1Password prices, it's $3/month for an individual or $5/family. That's really dirt cheap in the grand scheme of things if you get all the features you want.

Edit: And haha, looking at what you get, I might transfer to the family plan at LastPass. My wife and I have all ours boggled together.
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

+1
sureshoe

Post by sureshoe »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:47 am
Vulcan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:14 am ETA: I do use passphrase encryption option, so passwords are not visible to Google.
What is this?
In its simplest terms, instead of the service provider knowing the hash, your passphrase is effectively the hash so that even if the provider is compromised, you're not.
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

What is this?
"With a passphrase, you can use Google's cloud to store and sync your Chrome data without letting Google read it."

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/165139
corn18

Post by corn18 »

I use eWallet. Easy to use, free and keeps all our apple stuff synched.
Consistently sets low goals and fails to achieve them.
seawolf21

Post by seawolf21 »

Same here.
K72

Post by K72 »

I've been perfectly happy with the free version of LastPass, though I only use it while on the computer.
All we want are the facts...
dboeger1

Post by dboeger1 »

With several prominent options reducing feature sets for their free tiers in recent years, Bitwarden seems to be one of the more widely used and audited options that is still relatively full-featured for free. It's what we use and we are very happy with it. The main issue with Bitwarden is arguably the interface, which feels a little dated and lacks clear labels or instructions in many places; I could see it being difficult for less tech-savvy users. I agree that this is one piece of software that's worth paying for, so while having a good free option is wonderful and important for widespread adoption, if someone prefers another offering like LastPass, I would highly recommend just paying for the premium functionality.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

punkinhead wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:35 amMy wife and I have been using KeePass for several years on our PCs, phones, and tablets.
Likewise.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
dcdowden

Post by dcdowden »

BolderBoy wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:13 pm
punkinhead wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:35 amMy wife and I have been using KeePass for several years on our PCs, phones, and tablets.
One more satisfied user.
bhjjk19

Post by bhjjk19 »

I use Enpass and happy with it. It's totally managed within my own network and not on someone's cloud. No issues 2+ years and counting.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Vulcan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:14 am +1

There are arguments out there that Chrome's password manager is less secure than some of the alternatives, since it relies on the OS security locally, but they are largely irrelevant for the simple reason that if your local PC is compromised, it's game over no matter what password manager you use.

I put all my eggs into Google's basket, since my gmail account is the key to my digital kingdom anyway.

Other vendors tell you stories about how secure their software is, but ultimately, you have to trust them in their assessment.

I trust Google more.

ETA: I do use passphrase encryption option, so passwords are not visible to Google.
"Compromised" is a bit drastic, but there are cases where family members / friends / visitors can touch your PC and access your browser while you go to the bathroom for 5 minutes.

Password managers such as KeePass do not have this problem, unless you have it open and go to the bathroom.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Vulcan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:11 pm
What is this?
"With a passphrase, you can use Google's cloud to store and sync your Chrome data without letting Google read it."

https://support.google.com/chrome/answer/165139
Cool thanks. I did not know about this option, I need to check this out.
synacksyn

Post by synacksyn »

I highly recommend bitwarden. All the features you need are free and even the paid plan is very reasonable.
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:15 pm

I trust Google more.

"Compromised" is a bit drastic, but there are cases where family members / friends / visitors can touch your PC and access your browser while you go to the bathroom for 5 minutes.

Password managers such as KeePass do not have this problem, unless you have it open and go to the bathroom.
Windows+L. A good habit to develop.

And/or password-protected screen-saver.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Vulcan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:22 pm Windows+L. A good habit to develop.

Yeah, if you always lock your screen then this problem goes away. Agreed.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Vulcan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:22 pm
Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:15 pm

I trust Google more.

Windows+L. A good habit to develop.

This also stops young kids from messing up open files on your computer!
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

Yes, but it is less secure than a dedicated password manager separate from Google.
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

mptfan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:29 pm
Yes, but it is less secure than a dedicated password manager separate from Google.
There we go again. I have laid out my arguments for why I do not believe that to be the case. In fact, I am more worried about trusting additional companies (besides google, on which I already depend) with getting things right.

Just to clarify my background, I am a computer network professional.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

dcdowden wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:03 pm
BolderBoy wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:13 pm
One more satisfied user.
Same here.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

The issue of relative safety of password managers has been beaten to the pulp. There really is a lot of technical layers of complexity, but the bottom line is that if you use password manager's browser extension to enter passwords for you, then in terms of malware you are as secure with any third-party password manager as you are with google's.

And if you enter your passwords manually, then you are sacrificing one of the most important security features of password managers: phishing prevention.

If you are interested, you can delve into the reddit thread here, but long story short, there is no alternative to securing your computer. If your computer is compromised, it's game over, password manager or not: your passwords will be stolen as you enter them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/cybersecurity/ ... ss_secure/
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

Vulcan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:55 pm The issue of relative safety of password managers has been beaten to the pulp. There really is a lot of technical layers of complexity, but the bottom line is that if you use password manager's browser extension to enter passwords for you, then in terms of malware you are as secure with any third-party password manager as you are with google's.
I bolded "in terms of malware" because you are probably right about that, but malware is not the only threat to your security, there are many other threats.
RANkiDEr

Post by RANkiDEr »

I like KeePassXC. If you need an added layer of security it works with Yubikey.

https://keepassxc.org/
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

mptfan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:59 pm
Vulcan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 2:55 pm The issue of relative safety of password managers has been beaten to the pulp. There really is a lot of technical layers of complexity, but the bottom line is that if you use password manager's browser extension to enter passwords for you, then in terms of malware you are as secure with any third-party password manager as you are with google's.
I bolded "in terms of malware" because you are probably right about that, but malware is not the only threat to your security, there are many other threats.
The remaining threats revolve around bad guys getting physical access to your computer. If that is a concern, you should full disk encrypt regardless of your choice of password manager.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Vulcan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:14 pm
The remaining threats revolve around bad guys getting physical access to your computer. If that is a concern, you should full disk encrypt regardless of your choice of password manager.
As well as lock your comptuer physically to your desk to make it harder to walk off with. Do they make computers where if the hard drive is physically removed it will self wipe?
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:21 pm
As well as lock your comptuer physically to your desk to make it harder to walk off with. Do they make computers where if the hard drive is physically removed it will self wipe?
An encrypted drive is as good as dead.
RANkiDEr

Post by RANkiDEr »

Maybe another option would be using something called TAILS operating system.

It's a portable operating system that doesn't store anything on the computer. You run it off a thumb drive that's encrypted and password protected.

It uses KeePassXC as the password manager. You don't need to worry about having your hard drive removed because it doesn't use one.

How TAILS works.
https://tails.boum.org/about/index.en.html
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Vulcan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:26 pm
If all sensative files are kept in a VeraCrypt file, is encrypting the entire hard drive necessary?

Going back to the OP's original question, I use Chrome for non-vital logins (online retailers) and KeePass for more vital stuff like financial institutions.
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:41 pm
If all sensative files are kept in a VeraCrypt file, is encrypting the entire hard drive necessary?

Going back to the OP's original question, I use Chrome for non-vital logins (online retailers) and KeePass for more vital stuff like financial institutions.
If you are concerned that someone might go to the trouble of trying to extract your Chrome-stored passwords from OS-encrypted storage by hacking into your local user account, then you could gain additional protection from encrypting your system disk.

Me? I am fine with putting my important documents in a VeraCrypt container. In an extremely unlikely event my home PC is ever stolen, I am pretty sure the thief is not going to have the technical expertise to get at my Chrome passwords :confused
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Vulcan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:50 pm
anon_investor wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:41 pm

If you are concerned that someone might go to the trouble of trying to extract your Chrome-stored passwords from OS-encrypted storage by hacking into your local user account, then you could gain additional protection from encrypting your system disk.

Me? I am fine with putting my important documents in a VeraCrypt container. In an extremely unlikely event my home PC is ever stolen, I am pretty sure the thief is not going to have the technical expertise to get at my Chrome passwords :confused
Yeah, I don't go through the trouble of encrypting my hard drive, but I do keep sensitive documents (e.g. tax returns) in a Veracrypt folder. For the Chrome passwords, I don't keep logins for financial accounts there because I found out if you export passwords it comes out as a plain text file. So instead I use KeePass for my logins for financial accounts. I am not so paranoid as to put the keepass file into a veracrypt folder though! :twisted:
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:19 pm For the Chrome passwords, I don't keep logins for financial accounts there because I found out if you export passwords it comes out as a plain text file. So instead I use KeePass for my logins for financial accounts.
Guess what? If you export your passwords from KeePass to CSV, they come out as plain text as well. :oops:
geek1

Post by geek1 »

Bitwarden. Hosted data is useless without your master password. Open source and audited. Clients/extensions for whatever ecosystem you want to be in. Very good free plan (if you use yubikeys, that will be $10/year, which is lot cheaper than competition).

Chrome/google ties you into the google ecosystem, and arguable privacy cost. Google does offer Advanced Protection for free (i.e. required yubikey), which is great, but not everyone uses it.
If you want to go large tech giant approach, apple keychain is also great on a security side. But apple offers limited 2FA options, limits you to apple, and has poor export functionality.
Lastpass free plan doesn't work with mobile+non-mobile, so that's not really usable. Premium plan costs more than Bitwarden.

Full hard drive encryption is a general good practice that should be trivial to enable. Same as using best 2FA everywhere (e.g. yubikey > app token > email code > phone sms).

Any kind of a file on a drive/usb seems concerning from a failure recovery perspective. If you really want to go into that direction, might as well go with a paper password book.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

I like MYKI. It stores the passwords locally and syncs it across devices.
PC mag review
https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/myki
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Vulcan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:24 pm
anon_investor wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:19 pm For the Chrome passwords, I don't keep logins for financial accounts there because I found out if you export passwords it comes out as a plain text file. So instead I use KeePass for my logins for financial accounts.
Guess what? If you export your passwords from KeePass to CSV, they come out as plain text as well. :oops:
Damn, can't win!
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

anon_investor wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:13 pm
Damn, can't win!
Why is that a concern? Being able to export means someone has physical access to your PC - that has little to do with password managers.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:16 pm
anon_investor wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:13 pm
Damn, can't win!
Why is that a concern? Being able to export means someone has physical access to your PC - that has little to do with password managers.
Same reason I lock my computer when I step away... just in case! :twisted:
kevinf

Post by kevinf »

KeePass with the database stored on an online drive such as google drive. Accessible anywhere you have a data connection and no fees. I use KeePass DX to access the database on Android devices and KeePass for Windows devices.