2022 Any Great Free Password Managers?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
kevinf

Re: 2022 Any Great Free Password Managers?

Post by kevinf »

KeePass with the database stored on an online drive such as google drive. Accessible anywhere you have a data connection.

I use KeePass DX to access the database on Android devices.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

Vulcan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:14 pm The remaining threats revolve around bad guys getting physical access to your computer. If that is a concern, you should full disk encrypt regardless of your choice of password manager.
Not necessarily, it may be possible to access your Google account without your computer.
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

mptfan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 5:44 pm
Vulcan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:14 pm The remaining threats revolve around bad guys getting physical access to your computer. If that is a concern, you should full disk encrypt regardless of your choice of password manager.
Not necessarily, it may be possible to access your Google account without your computer.
If that were the case, I'd be in big trouble regardless of how my passwords are stored.

But even then, that would not be enough to get to my passwords. You'd also need to know my passphrase.
If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything. ~Ronald Coase
oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy »

punkinhead wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:35 am My wife and I have been using KeePass for several years on our PCs, phones, and tablets.
Running KeePass here on my Linux box. No issues.
There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way. (Christopher Morley)
Bmac

Post by Bmac »

I think I pay $40/year for 1Password. Compared to all the other expenses in my life, this seems like a pretty great deal for a very good product.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

Vulcan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:00 pm If that were the case, I'd be in big trouble regardless of how my passwords are stored.
You would be in less trouble if none of your passwords were stored in Google.
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

mptfan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:43 pm
Vulcan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 6:00 pm If that were the case, I'd be in big trouble regardless of how my passwords are stored.
As I indicated several times, they are stored encrypted with my passphrase, and are not visible to google.
ososnilknarf

Post by ososnilknarf »

BogleTaxPro wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:31 am
LongRoad wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:24 am I'm happy with Bitwarden. Switched after LastPass crippled their free version.
+1
+1
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

Vulcan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:05 pm
As I indicated several times, they are stored encrypted with my passphrase, and are not visible to google.
The vast majority of people who use Google's password manager do not do that and don't know how to do that. For them, a dedicated password manager would be more secure.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

mptfan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:15 pm The vast majority of people who use Google's password manager do not do that and don't know how to do that.
But why do you suppose it's easy to hack into your Google account? I'm sure people add 2FA to it these days even if they don't passphrase-protect their passwords.
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

mptfan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:15 pm
The vast majority of people who use Google's password manager do not do that and don't know how to do that. For them, a dedicated password manager would be more secure.
Vast majority of people don't use any password manager.

For them, Chrome's built-in one, even with default settings, is a gigantic improvement.

For those few that are more cautious, one could argue that enabling passphrase is a much easier (and often more economical) alternative to adding complexity with 3rd party software, even if some of it didn't have less stellar safety record than Google.
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:16 pm
mptfan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:15 pm The vast majority of people who use Google's password manager do not do that and don't know how to do that.
But why do you suppose it's easy to hack into your Google account? I'm sure people add 2FA to it these days even if they don't passphrase-protect their passwords.
People need to get their priorities straight. If your email is not secure, nothing is. It really is the key to your digital kingdom.

Of course, not everyone uses Google for email. I think that also is a mistake:)
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:16 pm But why do you suppose it's easy to hack into your Google account?
I do not suppose that.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

Vulcan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:21 pm Vast majority of people don't use any password manager.

For them, Chrome's built-in one, even with default settings, is a gigantic improvement.
I agree. And using a dedicated password manager is a greater improvement.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Vulcan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:23 pm
People need to get their priorities straight. If your email is not secure, nothing is. It really is the key to your digital kingdom.

Yeah, Chrome passwords works fine. It is not my single source of truth (which is KeePass) but for day-to-day, Chrome is all I use.
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:29 pm
Vulcan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:23 pm

Yeah, Chrome passwords works fine. It is not my single source of truth (which is KeePass) but for day-to-day, Chrome is all I use.
Same.

Though more and more often I do not bother adding new passwords to KeePass. I just occasionally export Chrome's password list to a CSV on my VeraCrypt volume.
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

mptfan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:25 pm
Vulcan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:21 pm Vast majority of people don't use any password manager.

I agree. And using a dedicated password manager is a greater improvement.
But that's the thing: in which particular scenario does it provide better security over passphrase-encrypted Chrome password manager, assuming one doesn't have a bad habit of leaving their computer unlocked where malicious actors can access it?

3rd party password managers sell a lot of FUD. Their very business survival depends on it. I am not buying.
Marseille07

Post by Marseille07 »

Vulcan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:32 pm Same.

Though more and more often I do not bother adding new passwords to KeePass. I just occasionally export Chrome's password list to a CSV on my VeraCrypt volume.
I like KeePass because it isn't just user/pass combo I jot down. For example, the secret questions / answers are also jotted down for the same site, along with the creds.
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

Marseille07 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:37 pm
Vulcan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:32 pm Same.

I like KeePass because it isn't just user/pass combo I jot down. For example, the secret questions / answers are also jotted down for the same site, along with the creds.
Yes, I use it for those cases as well. It's a great, ultra-secure tool to complement Chrome's built-in pwd manager.
100nanos

Post by 100nanos »

Bitwarden
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

Vulcan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:33 pm But that's the thing: in which particular scenario does it provide better security over passphrase-encrypted Chrome password manager, assuming one doesn't have a bad habit of leaving their computer unlocked where malicious actors can access it?
You built quite a few assumptions into that question. As I stated before, I am referring to the vast majority of people who do not use passphrase encryption, for them using a dedicated password manager is more secure.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

RANkiDEr wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:00 pm I like KeePassXC. If you need an added layer of security it works with Yubikey.

https://keepassxc.org/
Ooops. Yep, this is the one I use now. Switched from plain KeePass a couple of years ago.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

You can save all your passwords to your Google account if you want to make it easy for them. They already know you better than your mom.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

Apparently I have a grandfathered version of 1Password. Any word on when we’ll get switched?

It looks like the subscription cost is $2.99/month or $36/year, or $4.99/month for your family ($60/year). To be honest, I can’t think of a better way to spend the money.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

I am a bit paranoid of using online password managers.
So, I use KeePass.
I don’t even have it installed as I run it directly from a thumb drive with the database on the same thumb drive.
The thumb drive is encrypted so I have to enter a password word to access it then enter a password to access KeePass.
I back up the thumb drive to another encrypted thumb drive so I have a copy should the original get corrupted or something.
I keep KeePass open just long enough to get the password I need and it auto logs out after a minute or so.

I may venture into storing the KeePass DB on google drive or DropBox in the future but would be nervous doing so.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

mptfan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:56 pm
Vulcan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:33 pm But that's the thing: in which particular scenario does it provide better security over passphrase-encrypted Chrome password manager, assuming one doesn't have a bad habit of leaving their computer unlocked where malicious actors can access it?
You built quite a few assumptions into that question. As I stated before, I am referring to the vast majority of people who do not use passphrase encryption, for them using a dedicated password manager is more secure.
Than not enabling passphrase encryption?
Perhaps.
But so is enabling passphrase encryption. Which is simpler and cheaper than buying and dealing with an extra piece of software.

So when someone asks "what is the best password manager for me?", the most likely answer, for most people, is "you already have it in Chrome, just enable passphrase encryption" rather than "go buy another piece of software and install it on all your devices".
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

MGBMartin wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:51 pm I may venture into storing the KeePass DB on google drive or DropBox in the future but would be nervous doing so.
Why? It's encrypted.
liynus

Post by liynus »

Bitwarden it’s open source.
Don’t trap yourself into something that you NEED to pay for.
Especially something as vital as your passwords.
iOS Mac windows browser apps are good
you can self host if you want.
Free basic hosting- sync is a bit slow at times. But I don’t know how quick the others are.
international001

Post by international001 »

Allow me a stupid question. If google cannot read your passwords, how does chrome do autofill of passwords when trying to log in Vanguard.com?
numerica

Post by numerica »

+1 for Bitwarden. Have been using it for three years. When a problem arose with a site I use daily, they responded and fixed it quickly.
Last edited by numerica on Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

international001 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:00 am
Allow me a stupid question. If google cannot read your passwords, how does chrome do autofill of passwords when trying to log in Vanguard.com?
They are only decrypted locally on your PC. As with any other password manager, you have to trust them their software does what they say it does.
MGBMartin

Post by MGBMartin »

Vulcan wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:55 pm
MGBMartin wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:51 pm I may venture into storing the KeePass DB on google drive or DropBox in the future but would be nervous doing so.
Why? It's encrypted.
I know, I’m just a nervous type when it comes to this kind of stuff.
Bad spellers of the world untie | Autocorrect is my worst enema
bling

Post by bling »

i was waiting for bitwarden to implement lastpass's emergency access feature. they finally did some time last year so when my subscription was up i switched to bitwarden.

emergency access lets another person you select request access to your account, and if you don't respond within X time, they are granted access. useful for the worst case scenarios.

anywho, password manager is a password manager is a password manager.

the feature in BW that i really really like is its integrated 2FA. yes, it's less secure, but i'm fine to forgo the security for convenience. with BW, after it auto-fills the username/password, it automatically copies the 6 digit code to the clipboard, so you just Ctrl+V on the next screen and you're in. no more getting your phone (which might be in another room), opening the app, finding the website, looking for the code, hope it has more than ~10 seconds remaining for you to copy, etc.

BW itself is still 2FA protected outside of BW.

it's all audited and open source, so if you wanted to run it yourself you can (and i have). but it's a great product and i want to support the developers, and the $40/yr family plan is very reasonable. also, if emergency access ever needed to be used, that means i'm not around to make sure my server is still up and running.
fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle »

I use the paid, licensed version of 1Password for all of my password management. It works great and I am very happy with it. I have purchased two successive-generation licenses since 2014. The total cost has worked out to about $11 per year. Unfortunately, 1Password has ended support for the licensed version, so it will stop working in a year or two as MacOS progresses to new configurations.

Since 2018, I have used Dashlane's premium desktop version, at a cost of about $25 per year, for just one feature - an Emergency Access setup that allowed our adult children to request emergency access to an encrypted set of passwords that would give them access to all of our financial and estate planning documents if we should ever die or become incapacitated. I'm still here, so they never needed it, but it was a very slick feature. So far, we have not shared our financial and estate planning info with them, although we may do so at some point in the future, especially if we ever need help managing our own finances, or if they initiate their own estate planning.

Similar to 1Password, Dashlane has unfortunately ended support for their Emergency Access feature. As a result, I have just started a premium level Bitwarden account, at the exorbitant price of $10 per year. Bitwarden's premium version offers the same Emergency Access feature Dashlane has dropped, so I have dropped Dashlane.
danaht

Post by danaht »

I have been using Password Safe (an open source password store) for years - and really like it. https://pwsafe.org/ It's also open source. Open source is the best type of "free" since those are supported by the community. Password safe also has an Android app that is really great. Combine Password Safe with Dropbox or another cloud file provider (google drive, etc) where you can store the file containing the encrypted passwords - and then you have a complete and free cloud based password safe. Has really worked well for me.
grasshopping

Post by grasshopping »

I'd go with Bitwarden for a free password manager. I've used both 1Password and Bitwarden. Security considerations are similar. For basic password management I doubt you''ll notice many meaningful feature differences. 1Password's interface feels a little more polished and there are certainly feature differences around the edges but you didn't mention a need for anything specific. The fact that Bitwarden is open source is a big plus.
synacksyn

Post by synacksyn »

grasshopping wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:23 am I'd go with Bitwarden for a free password manager. I've used both 1Password and Bitwarden. Security considerations are similar. For basic password management I doubt you''ll notice many meaningful feature differences. 1Password's interface feels a little more polished and there are certainly feature differences around the edges but you didn't mention a need for anything specific. The fact that Bitwarden is open source is a big plus.
One other thing about bitwarden is that it has an emergency access feature that will let a loved one access your account after a timeout period. This can be useful if you are worried about someone being locked out of your account in the event of incapacitation or death. 1password uses a kit that needs to be printed out and stored for similar purposes.

https://bitwarden.com/help/emergency-access/
international001

Vulcan wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:36 am
international001 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:00 am Allow me a stupid question. If google cannot read your passwords, how does chrome do autofill of passwords when trying to log in Vanguard.com?
They are only decrypted locally on your PC. As with any other password manager, you have to trust them their software does what they say it does.
Tx, makes sense. So I guess you have a private key on you PC for the decryption. And I guess if your PC is compromised all your passwords are. How is that key protected? It seems firefox has an option for a master password you have to enter everytime (or very often) you login into a website. But Chrome doesn't have this option
international001

bling wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:59 am i was waiting for bitwarden to implement lastpass's emergency access feature. they finally did some time last year so when my subscription was up i switched to bitwarden.

emergency access lets another person you select request access to your account, and if you don't respond within X time, they are granted access. useful for the worst case scenarios.

the feature in BW that i really really like is its integrated 2FA. yes, it's less secure, but i'm fine to forgo the security for convenience. with BW, after it auto-fills the username/password, it automatically copies the 6 digit code to the clipboard, so you just Ctrl+V on the next screen and you're in. no more getting your phone (which might be in another room), opening the app, finding the website, looking for the code, hope it has more than ~10 seconds remaining for you to copy, etc.

it's all audited and open source, so if you wanted to run it yourself you can (and i have). but it's a great product and i want to support the developers, and the $40/yr family plan is very reasonable. also, if emergency access ever needed to be used, that means i'm not around to make sure my server is still up and running.
Excuse (another) stupid question. How does the 2FA work? Vanguard calls me to my phone to give me a 6 digit code. How can BW intercept this?

Can BW use a yubikey, preferably U2F ?
mggray17

Post by mggray17 »

danaht wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 7:05 am I have been using Password Safe (an open source password store) for years - and really like it. https://pwsafe.org/ It's also open source. Open source is the best type of "free" since those are supported by the community. Password safe also has an Android app that is really great. Combine Password Safe with Dropbox or another cloud file provider (google drive, etc) where you can store the file containing the encrypted passwords - and then you have a complete and free cloud based password safe. Has really worked well for me.
+1 - that is what I use too.
Vulcan

Post by Vulcan »

international001 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:19 pm
Vulcan wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:36 am
international001 wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 5:00 am Allow me a stupid question. If google cannot read your passwords, how does chrome do autofill of passwords when trying to log in Vanguard.com?
Tx, makes sense. So I guess you have a private key on you PC for the decryption. And I guess if your PC is compromised all your passwords are. How is that key protected? It seems firefox has an option for a master password you have to enter everytime (or very often) you login into a website. But Chrome doesn't have this option
Yes, Chrome relies on the OS security.
Vaalbeast

Post by Vaalbeast »

For personal use, I use a self-hosted instance of Bitwarden https://github.com/dani-garcia/vaultwarden, hosted on my NAS (with specific security and backup considerations in place).

While I don't doubt the security capabilities of any cloud password manager, I take pleasure in the fact that control of my passwords is exclusively mine.
feh

Post by feh »

runner3081 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:33 am I still have the free LastPass, no issues.
+1

I only use it from browsers, so the free version is ok for me.
bling

Post by bling »

international001 wrote: Sun Jan 23, 2022 7:25 pm
bling wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 6:59 am i was waiting for bitwarden to implement lastpass's emergency access feature. they finally did some time last year so when my subscription was up i switched to bitwarden.

Excuse (another) stupid question. How does the 2FA work? Vanguard calls me to my phone to give me a 6 digit code. How can BW intercept this?

Can BW use a yubikey, preferably U2F ?
no, BW can't intercept that. the built-in 2FA is for TOTP only, e.g. (google authenticator, authy, microsoft authenticator), where it's just a 6 digit number that rotates every 30 seconds.

BW does support YubiKey; https://bitwarden.com/help/setup-two-st ... n-yubikey/; which requires a premium account. but it's open source, so you can host your own server to get these features for free.
Opinika

Post by Opinika »

I've used Password Safe for almost twenty years. Highly secure.
SagaciousTraveler

Post by SagaciousTraveler »

I use MacPass for our Mac.

I used KeePass until I switched OS.

The main thing I liked about both is they are desktop applications (mobile as well). I don't want my backend (Password storage) cloud hosted.

I then have the file save to my cloud account so its easily recoverable.
CardinalRule

Post by CardinalRule »

I personally use, pay for, and like 1Password - to me, it's a small, reasonable expense for something I use regularly on my work laptop, home desktop and iOS devices (apps and Safari). I just checked and DW and I have nearly 500 logins between us :shock: - most shared, and all with pretty robust, unique passwords thanks to our use of a password manager.

Moving back more toward the issue of this thread, I've read good things about Bitwarden (here and elsewhere). Just curious, though - what is the business case for offering a free version? I assume the free tier is not ad-supported, somehow? Does the developer hope that a sliver of free users will choose to upgrade to a paid tier? It obviously costs money to maintain a software application like this, open source or not, and keep on top of technology changes and security threats.
OrangeKiwi

Post by OrangeKiwi »

Keepass database managed with Strongbox app for macOS/iOS, saved in shared iCloud folder so partner can access the databases she might need. Also backed up regularly locally on a network attached server (NAS).

Also, the built in keychain for iOS/macOS.

KeepassXC was my choice of free program to use, but Strongbox offered enough polish and utility to make it worth paying a 1 time fee.
GmanJeff

Post by GmanJeff »

Norton offers a password manager: https://us.norton.com/feature/password-manager
theac

Post by theac »

For years I kept an encrypted doc in my computer with all my accounts and info like their passwords listed. Had thought of trying a password manager for a long time but didn't feel comfortable with it.

Finally about 2 years ago I got started with the free BitWarden and soon loved it.
Took a long while to switch over everything from my old "trusted passwords" to some new randomly-generated password, fearing what if something goes wrong blah blah blah.

But now that I've done it I love it. Even if the free version isn't perfect, it does the job for me. I'm not a high-risk web browser and am pretty cautious so I'm not losing any sleep over it.

But then I don't keep the launch codes in it either :D
"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well...and live." Ben Hur...and The Taxman! hahaha (a George Harrison song)