Change Jobs to Increase Social Security?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
OnVacation

Change Jobs to Increase Social Security?

Post by OnVacation »

I've appreciated reading the advice on this forum for many years, but this is my first time posting. I have a job that doesn’t pay into Social Security. Instead, my employer and I each contribute 10% of my pay to a pre-tax retirement account that is subject to the Windfall Elimination Provision. Based on the current value of this account, my Social Security income will be reduced by about 13% due to WEP. My SS benefit will continue to decrease as the pre-tax account value increases until the WEP penalty caps out with about a 25% SS reduction in approximately six years, leaving my monthly benefit at about $1,100 (assuming benefits at age 62).

I have 24 years of substantial SS earnings, so if I were to work at a job that pays into SS for 6 more years, I could both increase my SS base and eliminate WEP (due to having 30 substantial SS earnings years). If I were to quit working today, SS would account for about 20% of my retirement income, with investment income providing the rest. Due to the growing pre-tax account and increasing WEP penalty, each year that I work at this job will transfer additional retirement income away from SS and into investment income.

My question is, how concerned should I be about this from a diversification standpoint? I appreciate the inflation protection and stability built into SS, especially with the high CAPE values and inflation we are currently experiencing. I have a few more years until I plan to retire, and if I change employers I could both increase my base SS and reduce WEP impact. I like my current job, but does it make sense to consider switching employers in order to contribute a few more years to SS?