Letter 6419- Advanced Child Tax Credit

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Frome

Letter 6419- Advanced Child Tax Credit

Post by Frome »

My wife and I received a Letter 6419 stating the amount of advanced child tax credits the IRS sent us for 2021. The amount on the form is wrong. I logged into our online IRS accounts, and it says a number of the payments were sent to an account that I don't recognize. The payments we did receive were by hard check. After getting a couple hard checks, I unenrolled from the advanced payment and when they stopped I figured that worked. I guess the IRS just began sending the payments to this account instead (no idea where they got the number). I called the IRS to try to get the amount on the Letter 6419 corrected. They eventually told me that I needed a payment trace for the advanced credit payments, but the payment trace number does not allow you to wait on hold and just hangs up. I found a Form 3911 on the IRS website that allows payment traces for refunds and there is some information on there about how to use it for stimulus checks. Has anyone used this for misdirected advanced child tax credits? Or any tricks on how to get thru to the right IRS folks?
crre

Re: Letter 6419- Advanced Child Tax Credit

Post by crre »

Whenever i have an issue with the irs (two or three times over the past 10 years) i write them a letter and put it in the mail. It takes months and months, but eventually i get an answer. Once it took two rounds of correspondence, but it was always resolved. Include a copy of the letter you got.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

crre wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:49 pm Whenever i have an issue with the irs (two or three times over the past 10 years) i write them a letter and put it in the mail. It takes months and months, but eventually i get an answer. Once it took two rounds of correspondence, but it was always resolved. Include a copy of the letter you got.
Op wont be able to file taxes correctly without that getting corrected. I am not sure if snail that would take months and months would be fast enough for him to file before the deadline
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
crre

Post by crre »

Op wont be able to file taxes correctly without that getting corrected. I am not sure if snail that would take months and months would be fast enough for him to file before the deadline

sure he can. just file with the information that he knows is correct. probably/might get another letter questioning his numbers. eventually it will all work out.

i understand the impulse for everything to be perfect, because i used to have it. but life has taught me some good lessons, one of them being to have patience. and to keep good records.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

crre wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 2:26 am Op wont be able to file taxes correctly without that getting corrected. I am not sure if snail that would take months and months would be fast enough for him to file before the deadline

sure he can. just file with the information that he knows is correct. probably/might get another letter questioning his numbers. eventually it will all work out.

i understand the impulse for everything to be perfect, because i used to have it. but life has taught me some good lessons, one of them being to have patience. and to keep good records.
It will file and then likely suspended in a manual work queue, possibly for months. People who filed 2020 with rebate credits that didn’t reconcile are still in limbo today.
Stay hydrated; don't sweat the small stuff
Topic Author
Frome

Post by Frome »

Well mystery solved, somewhat. I got through to the IRS tracing line by calling first thing in the morning. We eventually discovered that the deposits were made into my wife's HSA account. I have no idea how the IRS got that number. This of course has made us go over the annual limit on HSA contributions for 2021. I've now got to back those out and also figure out if this is going to have negative tax ramification on us.