Burst Pipe Leading to Flood - Renter's Insurance

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
ilikeshreddingmail

Burst Pipe Leading to Flood - Renter's Insurance

Post by ilikeshreddingmail »

Hi Bogleheads,

Last week, a pipe burst above my unit in an apartment complex that affected numerous units and flooded my apartment. The burst pipe was inaccessible to me has been deemed by the complex as an event of chance. 1-2 inches of water accumulated everywhere in my apartment. Needless to say, many of personal belongings are damaged, including priceless sentimental documents, electronics, clothes, furniture, etc.. I wanted to reach out to Bogleheads to get any advice on how to proceed.

Some details:
1. This occurred in Seattle.
2. The complex is going to let us out of our lease at the end of the month.
3. I have renter's (that will be covering accommodations, personal belongings, and any moves that need to happen) and lawyer insurance (that I have reached out to for advice).
4. I am currently at a hotel, with some valuables with me and some in my apartment. The apartment has provided me a couple of small (~2x2 meters) storage units in the complex.
5. My apartment currently has numerous fans + dehumidifier running. The humidity in the unit has ranged from ~50% to ~95% depending on the location in the unit and the time, and the temperature has gone up to 102F. The humidity and temp damaged items that were off the ground, and I have a high concern for mold, as my items sat in high humidity + wet for long periods of time.

Some questions but would generally like your insights on things I should look out for that I may be missing.
1. How should I think about claiming items to my insurance? If it's damaged, but still usable, how do I claim it? How about if the damage *may* be unseen? For instance, electronics that were on the ground that may work now but may have reduced in lifespan due to the introduction of water. How about faded clothes from being wet for so long? In general, I'm trying to get some thoughts on how I should think about each item that was affected by the water.
2. My complex is not returning the prorated rent. How should I get this back?

Thanks, Bogleheads!
vtsnowdin

Re: Burst Pipe Leading to Flood - Renter's Insurance

Post by vtsnowdin »

How nice of them to "Let" you out of your lease.
As a starting position I'd inventory everything you had in the apartment and claim it on your renters insurance as a total loss. The insurance company can try to whittle it down from there.
Not a time to be nice or fair about anything as you will not get much nice or fair from them.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

ilikeshreddingmail wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:35 am Hi Bogleheads,

Last week, a pipe burst above my unit in an apartment complex that affected numerous units and flooded my apartment. The burst pipe was inaccessible to me has been deemed by the complex as an event of chance. 1-2 inches of water accumulated everywhere in my apartment. Needless to say, many of personal belongings are damaged, including priceless sentimental documents, electronics, clothes, furniture, etc.. I wanted to reach out to Bogleheads to get any advice on how to proceed.

Some details:
3. I have renter's (that will be covering accommodations, personal belongings, and any moves that need to happen) and lawyer insurance (that I have reached out to for advice).
4. I am currently at a hotel, with some valuables with me and some in my apartment. The apartment has provided me a couple of small (~2x2 meters) storage units in the complex.
5. My apartment currently has numerous fans + dehumidifier running. The humidity in the unit has ranged from ~50% to ~95% depending on the location in the unit and the time, and the temperature has gone up to 102F. The humidity and temp damaged items that were off the ground, and I have a high concern for mold, as my items sat in high humidity + wet for long periods of time.

Some questions but would generally like your insights on things I should look out for that I may be missing.
1. How should I think about claiming items to my insurance? If it's damaged, but still usable, how do I claim it? How about if the damage *may* be unseen? For instance, electronics that were on the ground that may work now but may have reduced in lifespan due to the introduction of water. How about faded clothes from being wet for so long? In general, I'm trying to get some thoughts on how I should think about each item that was affected by the water.

Thanks, Bogleheads!
Sorry this happened. Good for you, however, that you were wise enough to have renter's insurance.

Since you have/will be consulting with an attorney, I'd recommend you discuss these two issues with your attorney. They will be able to provide you with the best advice appropriate to your circumstances.

Good luck!
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Very sorry this happened. This happened when I lived in a high-rise, though the damage was less, there is still a feeling of helplessness as water cascades down. I would reach out to the Tenants Union of Washington State in addition to an attorney. Since numerous rental units were affected, has the local government been involved? Has the building been issued any citations? Did the landlord need to report the incident to any governmental entity? Sometimes in an incident like this, the fire department is called; were they and if so, can you get the report? How old is the building? Plumbing, especially in older buildings requires inspection to ensure shut off valves are working, waste lines are draining properly &c.

Personally, as noted above, I would treat anything other than photos as a total loss and let the insurance company come back with their counter.
Last edited by Mr. Rumples on Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631
Kagord

Post by Kagord »

Sorry this happened as well, I will be following this thread, curious to know how this turns out, OP, can you let us know what the attorney says. Thanks.
gtd98765

Post by gtd98765 »

Recommend walking slowly around the apartment with a digital camera or cell phone and making videos of everything, damaged or not. This could be very useful in the future.
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

How did the owner limit their liablility in the lease document?
Topic Author
ilikeshreddingmail

vtsnowdin wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:58 am How nice of them to "Let" you out of your lease.
As a starting position I'd inventory everything you had in the apartment and claim it on your renters insurance as a total loss. The insurance company can try to whittle it down from there.
Not a time to be nice or fair about anything as you will not get much nice or fair from them.
Mr. Rumples wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:09 am Personally, as noted above, I would treat anything other than photos as a total loss and let the insurance company come back with their counter.
gtd98765 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 9:40 am Recommend walking slowly around the apartment with a digital camera or cell phone and making videos of everything, damaged or not. This could be very useful in the future.
Thank you all, for the advice. It looks like I should document everything, even things (like plates) that were off the ground? Is the idea here that everything could be damaged and thus should be replaced? I'm new to working with insurance, but will they look through the list themselves and counter with what they will and will not replace?
Mr. Rumples wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:09 am Very sorry this happened. This happened when I lived in a high-rise, though the damage was less, there is still a feeling of helplessness as water cascades down. I would reach out to the Tenants Union of Washington State in addition to an attorney. Since numerous rental units were affected, has the local government been involved? Has the building been issued any citations? Did the landlord need to report the incident to any governmental entity? Sometimes in an incident like this, the fire department is called; were they and if so, can you get the report? How old is the building? Plumbing, especially in older buildings requires inspection to ensure shut off valves are working, waste lines are draining properly &c.
Thanks for this. Fire Department was involved and I'll reach out to get a hold of the report. Do you know how I would go about getting a list of potential citations/incidents/reporting requirements etc.? I have no clue where to even start to begin investigating that.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

Respectfully OP, why did you specifically mention that you are being provided an attorney who you are/will be consulting but seem to plan to proceed based upon the advice given here??

Why not speak with the attorney and follow his/her advice? For example, do you know what an EUO is? Do you understand what could occur if you make a list of everything you had in the apartment and claim it all as a total loss, even if some items are not destroyed and/or damaged? Do know recognize the potential consequences if you claim to your insurer that an item is destroyed and that claim later turns out to be untrue?

If an attorney is being provided to you, why would you seek to undertake an investigation into the history of the building if you "have no clue where to even start to begin investigating"?

Feel free to do as you wish, but speaking not as YOUR attorney but as an attorney who has prosecuted many cases of insurance fraud and as a former law enforcement officer who investigated, among other crimes, arson cases, I'd again recommend you let your attorney advise you on these matters. I assume that is what the attorney is being hired and paid to do...

Good luck.
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

ilikeshreddingmail wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:35 am Hi Bogleheads,

Some details:

Thanks, Bogleheads!
I can't answer a lot of these questions, but I know for our son, he has policy limits on his personal property, as well as a deductible. What does your renters insurance policy say? Do you have replacement value coverage? Our son also has scheduled property---his computer, and he had to provide a picture of it, as well as make, model, serial number, etc., to the insurance agent when he originally took renter's insurance. I would assume you also had a list of those scheduled items, such as your computer, electronics, etc., with the make, model, and serial numbers? As far as sentimental documents, I would assume it's going to be difficult to place a price on them, and, unless you had them scheduled as separate items, I don't know how that will turn out.

Water does a tremendous amount of damage. I would be very leery of considering furniture, such as a sofa, damaged, but usable, and I would inspect every piece of furniture. You never know what can seep inside and start growing and leave some type of remaining smell. Electronics you never know about. Heck, I had an Ipod years ago that went through the washer and dryer before I found it, and it still worked. All you can do is try them and see if they work.

Good luck, keep us posted.
Topic Author
ilikeshreddingmail

galawdawg wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:19 pm Respectfully OP, why did you specifically mention that you are being provided an attorney who you are/will be consulting but seem to plan to proceed based upon the advice given here??

Why not speak with the attorney and follow his/her advice? For example, do you know what an EUO is? Do you understand what could occur if you make a list of everything you had in the apartment and claim it all as a total loss, even if some items are not destroyed and/or damaged? Do know recognize the potential consequences if you claim to your insurer that an item is destroyed and that claim later turns out to be untrue?

If an attorney is being provided to you, why would you seek to undertake an investigation into the history of the building if you "have no clue where to even start to begin investigating"?

Feel free to do as you wish, but speaking not as YOUR attorney but as an attorney who has prosecuted many cases of insurance fraud and as a former law enforcement officer who investigated, among other crimes, arson cases, I'd again recommend you let your attorney advise you on these matters. I assume that is what the attorney is being hired and paid to do...

Good luck.
Thanks for being brutally critical. I agree with what you're saying and I am currently in the "data gathering" phase of my journey at this moment. By no means does this mean I will be following the advice from those on this thread. I will be prioritizing the advice I get based on the source of the information and consulting with folks with more expertise in this area. The advice here provides me points of discussion to better understand how these things work. Your comment is case-in-point.
Mr. Rumples

Post by Mr. Rumples »

Regarding getting a list of violations, that would most likely be covered by your city or state's freedom of information statute (FOIA). In Seattle, it appears to be called a "public records request." I would assume its called the same for other jurisdictions. There is a cost involved...don't know about over there, but here in VA, the locality is required to give a cost estimate and once a request is formally made, they have only a few days to respond.

I would personally call the administrative office of the fire dept. and start there.

https://www.seattle.gov/public-records/ ... est-center

The information might be already available in a report in which case the jurisdiction might just direct you to it, or it might be "privileged" in which case it would not be public. On-line court records would show if the landlord actually went to court. As way of example, this is how VA court records can be searched (put in the jurisdiction, and following the prompts, the same of the landlord); most state's have similar systems; law firms always have immediate access, so that would be something to ask the attorney.

https://www.vacourts.gov/caseinfo/home.html
"History is the memory of time, the life of the dead and the happiness of the living." Captain John Smith 1580-1631