Chase 'took' $3800 from my son's account and closed it

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
whodidntante

Re: Chase 'took' $3800 from my son's account and closed it

Post by whodidntante »

Well, Chase has paid me that much in bank, brokerage, and credit card bonuses. Maybe they gave the money to me? :P
Topic Author
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Soul.in.Progress wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:15 pm I’m so sorry that this happened to you/your son. It is incredibly frustrating as we know first hand: a very similar thing happened to my then 19-year old son from Chase. Then it happened at Citi. Then we gave upon big banks and had no problem with DCU :D , which I learned about from this wonderful forum. We had even more money at stake, and I was sweating buckets (probably more than my son even though it was his hard earned money) because I didn’t have trust that the [large] check would arrive in the mail without some possible nefarious interception along the way. It eventually arrived, thank goodness, but the big banks could not tell us why he got flagged other than the fraud dept flagged it (as someone upstream mentioned, banks are weirdly opaque even about the process). It was definitely a case of over triggering as he had never had a relationship with a bank before and had even opened the account in person with valid ID. Unfortunately, it was his first banking experiences so I was sad that in contrast to my first banking experience with my dad in my own youth, his was quite negative and confusing. I understand and value the need for fraud protection but I fear that with opaqueness, how does anyone have oversight that they are doing things correctly? For example, we have a fairly common last name in our culture of heritage, so they might assume that anyone with that name is the same person if they aren’t culturally aware. Sigh. Anyway, OP I wish you and your son luck and I hope you get that money back smoothly and swiftly! I agree with what’s been said about finding out date of check being mailed and verifying the address.
Thanks for sharing that story, seems like a 1:1 match with ours.
JackoC

Post by JackoC »

beyou wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:38 am I keep two checking accounts at two banks for redundancy.
One at a megabank with branches everywhere (not Chase but a close competitor) and a small online bank.
The online bank might as well be a local CU/small bank. You can actually chat a specific person in their customer service department.
I have had the same persons many times and find them helpful and empowered.

As a result I keep much more in the small online bank, and a trivial balance in the megabank.
Good to have the megabank account for various services a local branch bank might be needed once in a rare while.
Also good to have a low balance checking account for things like venmo etc that may increase fraud risk.
I usually leave 10x the balance at the small bank vs the megabank.
Megabank service is terrible, it's not just Chase (which I think is better than my megabank).
But having a small account if you can get without fees has some benefits. Just need to know what you are getting and deal with it.
Young people sometimes have just one bank account, some people don't have bank accounts. But once you have significant means and obligations (like bills you have to pay whether a particular account is operational or not and no Bank of Mom and Dad :happy ) more than one checking account is a necessary precaution IMO. Yes, it multiplies the total chance of running into a problem with either the bank or third party fraudster but having your only account drained, by whomever, can cascade into a serious problem when you reach a certain point.

Our main checking account is at Local Bank not for the 'service' but because they pay 1%. We have a small checking balance at BOA which is our main credit card bank. I don't think BOA's quality of service is really any worse than Local Bank and they are within walking distance which LB is not, and BOA can do more things. Their main problem is terrible rates on deposit products (or loan products AFAIK). It's anecdotal, but my impression of Chase is that they have a general tendency to high handedness with customers. It might be the institutional culture, perhaps descending from JP Morgan's 'elite' self-image; the more 'everyman' original Chase was basically taken over by them in that merger. That's long ago now, but culture stuff like that can persist in institutions IME. I wouldn't deal with Chase except to take bonuses from them where I can.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

sunny_socal wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:21 am
bob60014 wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:13 am I bet there is more to the story.
The source for the funds was USAA and he's been there for years...
Just curious, does he need/want a bank with a local B&M branch or other services he can't get with USAA? USAA has some of the better no-cost banking options for an online bank, particularly the ATM rebates. Not as good as Schwab Bank and a few others, but certainly head and shoulders above Chase.
Topic Author
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

JackoC wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:11 am
beyou wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 10:38 am I keep two checking accounts at two banks for redundancy.
One at a megabank with branches everywhere (not Chase but a close competitor) and a small online bank.
The online bank might as well be a local CU/small bank. You can actually chat a specific person in their customer service department.
I have had the same persons many times and find them helpful and empowered.

As a result I keep much more in the small online bank, and a trivial balance in the megabank.
Good to have the megabank account for various services a local branch bank might be needed once in a rare while.
Also good to have a low balance checking account for things like venmo etc that may increase fraud risk.
I usually leave 10x the balance at the small bank vs the megabank.
Megabank service is terrible, it's not just Chase (which I think is better than my megabank).
But having a small account if you can get without fees has some benefits. Just need to know what you are getting and deal with it.
Young people sometimes have just one bank account, some people don't have bank accounts. But once you have significant means and obligations (like bills you have to pay whether a particular account is operational or not and no Bank of Mom and Dad :happy ) more than one checking account is a necessary precaution IMO. Yes, it multiplies the total chance of running into a problem with either the bank or third party fraudster but having your only account drained, by whomever, can cascade into a serious problem when you reach a certain point.

Our main checking account is at Local Bank not for the 'service' but because they pay 1%. We have a small checking balance at BOA which is our main credit card bank. I don't think BOA's quality of service is really any worse than Local Bank and they are within walking distance which LB is not, and BOA can do more things. Their main problem is terrible rates on deposit products (or loan products AFAIK). It's anecdotal, but my impression of Chase is that they have a general tendency to high handedness with customers. It might be the institutional culture, perhaps descending from JP Morgan's 'elite' self-image; the more 'everyman' original Chase was basically taken over by them in that merger. That's long ago now, but culture stuff like that can persist in institutions IME. I wouldn't deal with Chase except to take bonuses from them where I can.
He already has multiple accounts, Checking & Savings at USAA. Had Checking & Savings at Chase until the latter was deleted with no warning or even a post-closing indication.

Oh and someone else asked why does he 'need' another account. That shouldn't even be an issue - he's already a customer at Chase. Usually banks push multiple accounts when you open one, in his case they didn't. He opened the saving account later as a matter of convenience. I have accounts at probably 6 different banks. Sure I could lump all the cash into one place but I like having it be spread around. Every one has a different purpose:
- Local credit union: 1% interest on emergency cash, also cheap safe deposit box
- BofA: Tons of ATMs around the country
- Chase: Local branch, I use them for bill pay
- Capital One: High interest savings accounts for money that couldn't fit into the credit union (said CU has a $10k cap on that particular account)
- Alliant: Incredible free 2.5% credit card; account came with savings & checking which I use for proceeds from the CC
..... and so on

The point is not that he wanted another account. The point is that the bank displayed downright criminal behavior. Son is over at the branch now, he's afraid to raise hell. I still hope he does, $4k takes a while to earn for a college student with a part time job.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

sunny_socal wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:47 am The point is that the bank displayed downright criminal behavior.
I assume that is hyperbole.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

galawdawg wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:04 am
sunny_socal wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:47 am The point is that the bank displayed downright criminal behavior.
I don't know - son had $3,800 a month ago, Chase took it, son still doesn't have it (or is at the bank now and has had to repeatedly ask for it)...it's not the worst comparison in the world.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

8foot7 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:10 pm
I don't know - son had $3,800 a month ago, Chase took it, son still doesn't have it...it's not the worst comparison in the world.
I believe that assertions that an issue such as this is "criminal behavior" greatly diminish the credibility of what may otherwise be a legitimate complaint. Chase closed the account and stated that the funds on deposit have been sent to the account holder via US mail. Assuming those facts to be true, there is absolutely nothing about that circumstance that at all resembles criminal behavior. In fact, the accusation of such in a public forum (such as this) could theoretically expose the maker of such an accusation to liability for libel.

I received a check in the mail last Friday (Jan 14). The check issue date? December 10. The date the envelope was postmarked? December 10. We received several Christmas cards after Jan 1 that were all postmarked on or before December 15. So the reports of US Mail delays are not exaggerated. IMO, the idea that some people are getting bent out of shape about this issue is just silly, particularly considering that the only person impacted is continuing to do business with Chase in spite of this recent experience.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

galawdawg wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:34 pm
I don't know - son had $3,800 a month ago, Chase took it, son still doesn't have it...it's not the worst comparison in the world.
I believe that assertions that an issue such as this is "criminal behavior" greatly diminish the credibility of what may otherwise be a legitimate complaint. Chase closed the account and stated that the funds on deposit have been sent to the account holder via US mail. Assuming those facts to be true, there is absolutely nothing about that circumstance that at all resembles criminal behavior. In fact, the accusation of such in a public forum (such as this) could theoretically expose the maker of such an accusation to liability for libel.

I received a check in the mail last Friday (Jan 14). The check issue date? December 10. The date the envelope was postmarked? December 10. We received several Christmas cards after Jan 1 that were all postmarked on or before December 15. So the reports of US Mail delays are not exaggerated. IMO, the idea that some people are getting bent out of shape about this issue is just silly, particularly considering that the only person impacted is continuing to do business with Chase in spite of this recent experience.
I think the issue is the son has gone back to the bank at least twice now asking for his money and (apparently) they refuse to give it to him. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Chase to stop payment on their own check, which is now what I would call significantly delayed, at the request of the payee, assuming the OP's son has proper and multiple forms of ID, and give the funds directly to the OP's son. Refusing to do so is where I believe assertions about criminal-like behavior being demonstrated begin to earn credence.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

Beautifully written. People get too excited about things like this.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

8foot7 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:39 pm I think the issue is the son has gone back to the bank at least twice now asking for his money and (apparently) they refuse to give it to him.
Perhaps I have missed some information. My reading of the original post is that the account holder went to the branch once and nothing suggests that he asked for his money and Chase refused to give it to him. The initial post simply reads (in relevant part) "He went to the local branch and they were helpful. They set up a new account for him and even converted his status to 'college' so he'll no longer need any minimum balance or direct deposits. But the money is still gone. They said Chase closed the account due to 'suspicion' that he's involved in some kind of fraud. There was no email or phone contact prior to this taking place on 12/23/21. They said a check is 'in the mail.'"

I did note an update from OP less than an hour ago that simply reported that the account holder was at the branch now.

So unless I missed it, nothing suggests that the account holder has been "asking for his money" and that Chase "refuse[d] to give it to him."
8foot7 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:39 pm I don't think it's unreasonable to expect Chase to stop payment on their own check, which is now what I would call significantly delayed, at the request of the payee, assuming the OP's son has proper and multiple forms of ID, and give the funds directly to the OP's son.
Again, unless I missed it, I don't see any indication that the account holder has asked Chase to do that.
8foot7 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:39 pm Refusing to do so is where I believe assertions about criminal-like behavior being demonstrated begin to earn credence.
As I noted, I don't read the post to support the claim that Chase has "refused" to provide the funds to the account holder. It will be interesting to see how this is resolved.

I tried Chase Sapphire Checking a few years ago but closed the account after Chase was unable to provide the complimentary safe deposit box listed as a benefit of the account (a significant factor leading me to open the account). There were no available boxes within a ninety (90) minute drive and wait lists were several years long at those limited branches which still had safe deposit boxes. Many branches don't even have safe deposit boxes. I didn't get upset or claim they committed fraud, I simply closed the account and moved on.
Last edited by galawdawg on Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
a2_alice

Post by a2_alice »

I would not raise hell at the local branch. As others have posted, most of the time they can’t do anything. This is the responsibility of some regional or national department handled by a call center. It’s possible the branch might be able to give him the correct phone number to call. I was wrongfully charged a safe deposit box fee by Chase last year, and they couldn’t even reverse that at the branch holding the safe deposit box.
Topic Author
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

pizzy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:40 pm

My son lives with me so he has all kinds of safety nets - food, shelter, clothing, free gas for his truck, cell phone, insurance. At this point this is merely an inconvenience.

Pretend you're someone living paycheck to paycheck - could you go a month without the $3800? It's likely several bills would be late by now. Those bills will generate 'late fees' and that in turn will eventually hurt your credit score.

Anyway I'll update as things develop. Ridiculous that the bank will take your money immediately but then (purportedly) reimburse via snail mail.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

sunny_socal wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:03 pm
pizzy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:40 pm

My son lives with me so he has all kinds of safety nets - food, shelter, clothing, free gas for his truck, cell phone, insurance. At this point this is merely an inconvenience.

Pretend you're someone living paycheck to paycheck - could you go a month without the $3800? It's likely several bills would be late by now. Those bills will generate 'late fees' and that in turn will eventually hurt your credit score.

Anyway I'll update as things develop. Ridiculous that the bank will take your money immediately but then (purportedly) reimburse via snail mail.
I'd rather not play pretend because it's irrelevant to your son's situation and my situation.

All he has to do is wait for the check in the mail. Everything else is/will be a waste of his time.
Topic Author
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Today's update:
- No manager at the bank, he's out sick
- Supervisor called the "call center" on his behalf, expects to be on hold for ~1hr (will call back and report his findings)
- Supposedly can't issue a stop-payment on the check since it's supposedly already been sent...
- Cannot issue a credit or give cash

Son thinking about writing those letters, for what they're worth. :annoyed
taurabora

Post by taurabora »

Banks are getting insane about "fraud" lately.

I refinanced my house, and got an escrow refund of around $5k. I deposited it into my savings account at Capital One using their app. I had not used the account in about 5 months or so.

They froze my accounts (including checking account). So I called them, gave them all of my information, and they required that I give them a contact to call at the escrow company so they could confirm the check. Well, it's just some faceless online escrow company. I don't know anyone there, so I gave them a local branch number, the corporate number, everything I could think of. And they would not unlock my accounts.

So, I waited until the check cleared in 5 business days. Called again, and again they gave me a hard time. Finally, I got a guy to agree that the check has cleared, I am who I am, and he unfroze my accounts.

Luckily, I didn't have immediate need of this money, but if this had been my only checking account, I would have been majorly screwed.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

sunny_socal wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:44 pm Today's update:
- Supervisor called the "call center" on his behalf, expects to be on hold for ~1hr (will call back and report his findings)
- Supposedly can't issue a stop-payment on the check since it's supposedly already been sent...

Why isn't waiting for the check an option for your family?
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

pizzy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:48 pm

I suppose it is for them. I hope the OP does follow up with a CFPB complaint. This conduct is exactly what it is designed for, whether the fine print on page 49 of the account agreement technically says they reserve the right to do it or not. And it could be a matter of principle too. By diverting the bank's resources into responding to this, it drives up their costs and works against the economy of scale that usually works in Chase's advantage against small local banks, and serves as a deterrent against doing this to others.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

Makefile wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:58 pm

I suppose it is for them. I hope the OP does follow up with a CFPB complaint. This conduct is exactly what it is designed for, whether the fine print on page 49 of the account agreement technically says they reserve the right to do it or not. And it could be a matter of principle too. By diverting the bank's resources into responding to this, it drives up their costs and works against the economy of scale that usually works in Chase's advantage against small local banks, and serves as a deterrent against doing this to others.
1) If a bank detects there may be fraud, what would you like their response to be? Call the suspected person and ask them to come down to their local branch and hand them cash?

2) When a bank's costs go up, who do you think pays for them?
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

taurabora wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:44 pm Banks are getting insane about "fraud" lately.

I refinanced my house, and got an escrow refund of around $5k. I deposited it into my savings account at Capital One using their app. I had not used the account in about 5 months or so.

They froze my accounts (including checking account). So I called them, gave them all of my information, and they required that I give them a contact to call at the escrow company so they could confirm the check. Well, it's just some faceless online escrow company. I don't know anyone there, so I gave them a local branch number, the corporate number, everything I could think of. And they would not unlock my accounts.

So, I waited until the check cleared in 5 business days. Called again, and again they gave me a hard time. Finally, I got a guy to agree that the check has cleared, I am who I am, and he unfroze my accounts.

Luckily, I didn't have immediate need of this money, but if this had been my only checking account, I would have been majorly screwed.
Yet another reason we will always use at least two separate financial institutions.
The focus used to be on system problems... the grid, etc.
Or fraud.
Now... this nonsense, "It might be fraud", too?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Makefile

Post by Makefile »

pizzy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:06 pm 1) If a bank detects there may be fraud, what would you like their response to be? Call the suspected person and ask them to come down to their local branch and hand them cash?
Well if OP's Al Capone of a son came down to the bank after this happened, it would certainly be odd to open him another account rather than him being banned for life, no?
OP's son might need to look into ChexSystems credit report too and make sure Chase didn't put anything derogatory on there.
pizzy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:06 pm 2) When a bank's costs go up, who do you think pays for them?
The bank has to fulfill its customers' legal rights and respond to its regulators whether the customer chooses to use convenient, cheap channels for the bank or not. Only then is anything left for employees or shareholders.
Topic Author
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Bank called back! Turns out that there was never a check mailed although Chase had claimed there was. Instead they have closed the account and moved the funds into some kind of holding state. "They" had been waiting for the branch to call and confirm that my son was the owner of the account. So now the funds have been released and will be placed into the new account by the end of the week.

It raises more questions:
- Why was my son not notified? If I try to buy gas out of state I immediately get a text saying "call the fraud dept."
- Why was the branch not notified? Seems like the Left hand wasn't talking to the Right hand...
- Why did multiple people claim "The check is in the mail"?

Anyway, it's nice to see things coming to a close.

Because as it turns out.... we would have been waiting forever :wink:

It pays to push back.
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

sunny_socal wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:19 pm Bank called back! Turns out that there was never a check mailed although Chase had claimed there was. Instead they have closed the account and moved the funds into some kind of holding state. "They" had been waiting for the branch to call and confirm that my son was the owner of the account. So now the funds have been released and will be placed into the new account by the end of the week.

It raises more questions:
- Why was my son not notified? If I try to buy gas out of state I immediately get a text saying "call the fraud dept."
- Why was the branch not notified? Seems like the Left hand wasn't talking to the Right hand...
- Why did multiple people claim "The check is in the mail"?

Anyway, it's nice to see things coming to a close.

Because as it turns out.... we would have been waiting forever :wink:

It pays to push back.
I would totally ditch Chase as soon as possible if they did that to me. Then file a bunch of complaints with the relevant government bodies.
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

sunny_socal wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:19 pm Bank called back! Turns out that there was never a check mailed although Chase had claimed there was. Instead they have closed the account and moved the funds into some kind of holding state. "They" had been waiting for the branch to call and confirm that my son was the owner of the account. So now the funds have been released and will be placed into the new account by the end of the week.
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that it is being resolved. It sounds as though your son handled this appropriately and maturely. Often when these types of situations arise, there is no substitute for a frank but courteous face to face discussion with the other involved party.

:thumbsup
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

galawdawg wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:00 pm [...]
Thanks for the update. Glad to hear that it is being resolved. It sounds as though your son handled this appropriately and maturely. Often when these types of situations arise, there is no substitute for a frank but courteous face to face discussion with the other involved party.

Agreed!

But if I were in son's position, I would just as calmly clean that account and move the funds somewhere else. Calmly of course!

A bank that cannot handle my money well - and on top of that lies to my face (I don't need to know where the left hand is and where the right hand is - not my circus not my monkeys) - doesn't deserve the custodianship.
VictorStarr

Post by VictorStarr »

an_asker wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:16 pm

Agreed!

But if I were in son's position, I would just as calmly clean that account and move the funds somewhere else. Calmly of course!

A bank that cannot handle my money well - and on top of that lies to my face (I don't need to know where the left hand is and where the right hand is - not my circus not my monkeys) - doesn't deserve the custodianship.
+1
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

Agreed!

We left Chase after four attempts to open a joint account. They just couldn't get the names, address and SS numbers all right in the same document at the same time. We would check everything, sign it, but then someone would enter it into the computer wrong and they would call us bay to go through the whole thing again. Uh, no, just give us our money back.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

VictorStarr wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 6:18 pm

Agreed!

+1
+2. As I stated in a different way above, one should never have to ask for one's money to be returned to oneself from a bank more than one time.

I wonder how much longer the folks saying "why can't you wait for the check" would have recommended waiting for a check that was never sent. :oops:
galawdawg

Post by galawdawg »

As I said early in the thread, "Personally, I don't reward a business that treats me poorly with repeat business. But that's just me. 8-)"
phxjcc

Post by phxjcc »

Nm
Last edited by phxjcc on Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
HornedToad

Post by HornedToad »

Glad it was resolved. I’m surprised so many thought to just leave it alone and the bank did nothing wrong.

Here’s an example of banks holding on to dead customers money for months but when a reporter gets involved to help it is ‘found’ the next day:
Sorry if paywall comes up

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/ ... k-customer
Supergrover

Post by Supergrover »

HornedToad wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 7:27 pm Glad it was resolved. I’m surprised so many thought to just leave it alone and the bank did nothing wrong.

Here’s an example of banks holding on to dead customers money for months but when a reporter gets involved to help it is ‘found’ the next day:
Sorry if paywall comes up

https://www.latimes.com/business/story/ ... k-customer
You can google “sorry your dad is dead mind if we hold on to that money”
then click google’s News tab...I read it for free from the Bakersfield Californian.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Agreed!

Certainly your choice. But my experience over the past several years has led me to the point where I am shocked when a problem is resolved at the first point of contact. I have closed accounts a couple of times when multiple incidents led me to believe that there was a systemic problem at a bank. But if this kind of thing was enough to close my account, I would have closed most of my accounts at one time or another. I am not condoning the lack of quality customer care, just accepted the way it is.
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

I have had bad experiences with Chase.

FYI, if the bank suspects money laundering, they may close the account, impound the money, and are not legally allowed to tell you why. Certain banks are notorious for this, although I was not aware that Chase was known for that.