Anyone feeling "bored-out" with work?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Anyone feeling "bored-out" with work?

Post by ThankYouJack »

I don't think I have burnout but after about 20 years of work behind a computer, I'm getting bored/tired with it. Part of the reason is because the project I'm working on isn't feasible with the team that's in place and it's crawling along. I could look to switch jobs but currently feeling that any job 40+ hours a week behind a computer isn't what I want as I get closer to financial independence.

I typically feel happiest with people and/or outdoors, pushing myself physically and mentally. I don't think I'm ready to leave a lot of money on the table, but part of me is thinking about semi-FIREing to something part-time like a Park Ranger or some physical work.

I also realize this is exacerbated with the pandemic and we've been hunkering down a decent amount and not getting out like we usually do.

Anyway, just looking for words of wisdom.

Anyone feel similar?
fortunefavored

Re: Anyone feeling "bored-out" with work?

Post by fortunefavored »

ThankYouJack wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:23 pm I don't think I have burnout but after about 20 years of work behind a computer, I'm getting bored/tired with it. Part of the reason is because the project I'm working on isn't feasible with the team that's in place and it's crawling along. I could look to switch jobs but currently feeling that any job 40+ hours a week behind a computer isn't what I want as I get closer to financial independence.

I typically feel happiest with people and/or outdoors, pushing myself physically and mentally. I don't think I'm ready to leave a lot of money on the table, but part of me is thinking about semi-FIREing to something part-time like a Park Ranger or some physical work.

I also realize this is exacerbated with the pandemic and we've been hunkering down a decent amount and not getting out like we usually do.

Anyone feel similar?
This comes up in many threads, so you are definitely not alone. I went through the same thought process too a few years ago. The short unpleasant answer is: suck it up and hit your number.. anything else is going to be worse for way less money. You'll save 10X the money in 1 year at your "real" job than any other job.

Park Ranger jobs are almost impossible to get (often requires a 4 year ecology related degree PLUS law enforcement training.) Even unpaid park docent roles are in high demand. The idea there's a low stress, "fun" job is semi-mythical. Sure it happens.. but the odds are minute.
medic

Post by medic »

ThankYouJack wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:23 pm part of me is thinking about semi-FIREing to something part-time like a Park Ranger or some physical work.
I think this is often called "barista-FIRE", a basic job that provides limited income/stress to augment your nest egg.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

May want to try working such a job on the weekends for a month or two and find out how employees in the job are treated, by the employer and your coworkers.
gatorking

Post by gatorking »

Dmslax45

Post by Dmslax45 »

Interesting. I just had this same thought today, as I took a mid-day gym break, and it certainly hasn’t been the first time in the past 2 years.

I’ve found it difficult really getting into work since transitioning to WFH after having a 1.5 hour commute for 8 years. There are definitely aspects that are great, don’t get me wrong, but knowing there are a million things I could be doing around the house, kids and wife coming and going and asking for help, and frankly, no one there to keep me accountable other than myself, have given me this same feeling. I am nowhere near in a position to walk away or take less money to do something different, but I’ve found that creating a schedule and really sticking to it helps me stay disciplined. Getting up before the family to have some me time that was usually done on the train while commuting, going to the gym on a schedule instead of when I feel like it, and carving out some time to do stuff around the house in advance instead of deciding to run to the grocery store mid-day or rake leaves on a whim. Doing this has helped me break that feeling and focus more on whatever is in front of me, which I’ve fallen away from for a few months. Not seeing coworkers or friends as much also contributes I think, so I do try to make an effort to see some friends more which helps a ton.

Not sure if that’s what your feeling, but I’ve been having this on and off since the beginning of the pandemic, as have several friends.
DarkHelmetII

Post by DarkHelmetII »

I have been taking more "liberties" to plan for and take weekend / long weekend trips with family. And / or take off part of a day mid week to do something outdoors Also some mini splurges on outdoor equipment.
mhc

Post by mhc »

Get a dog. I wfh and in front of a computer. I really think getting out twice a day every day has helped prevent the wfh/computer blues. I get fresh air, exercise, and socialize with other neighbors who are out. I walk my dog at lunch and after work religiously. I have even done meetings while walking him.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
SpideyIndexer

Post by SpideyIndexer »

Unclear to me whether the OP is working at home in front of a computer, or working in an office.

Getting bored with work is certainly not a new thing.

Post by 123 »

Take some deep breaths in the outside air. Walk, bike, run. Get out of the house/office into the outdoors for an hour a day. Even if you're snowbound you can get outside on at least half the days.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
SpideyIndexer

Post by SpideyIndexer »

Anything physical can help, strangely even work around the house or yard.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

mhc wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:29 pmGet a dog. ...
Don't get a pet unless you really want a pet, not to help you relieve your ennui. Many people who got a pet in 2020 are surrendering them for adoption. It's like all the people who bought RVs only to learn they really don't like camping. In this case, though, the pet pays the price.
BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey »

Dmslax45 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:59 pm Interesting. I just had this same thought today, as I took a mid-day gym break, and it certainly hasn’t been the first time in the past 2 years.

I’ve found it difficult really getting into work since transitioning to WFH after having a 1.5 hour commute for 8 years. There are definitely aspects that are great, don’t get me wrong, but knowing there are a million things I could be doing around the house, kids and wife coming and going and asking for help, and frankly, no one there to keep me accountable other than myself, have given me this same feeling. I am nowhere near in a position to walk away or take less money to do something different, but I’ve found that creating a schedule and really sticking to it helps me stay disciplined. Getting up before the family to have some me time that was usually done on the train while commuting, going to the gym on a schedule instead of when I feel like it, and carving out some time to do stuff around the house in advance instead of deciding to run to the grocery store mid-day or rake leaves on a whim. Doing this has helped me break that feeling and focus more on whatever is in front of me, which I’ve fallen away from for a few months. Not seeing coworkers or friends as much also contributes I think, so I do try to make an effort to see some friends more which helps a ton.

Not sure if that’s what your feeling, but I’ve been having this on and off since the beginning of the pandemic, as have several friends.
+1. Wow, you've pretty much exactly described my experience over the last two years. Great advice for OP and others. Alone time in the early morning is key for me too. And I've tried to get out twice a day as has been suggested. Morning hike by myself and after work dog walk with DW. Silver lining for me, being close to retirement, is that this period has served as kind of a dry run in terms of sharing the house during the day, and using my former commute time in a semi-structured way. I can see how being early or mid-career during this wfh time would be more stifling.
An important key to investing is having a well-calibrated sense of your future regret.
warner25

Post by warner25 »

ThankYouJack wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:23 pm...the project I'm working on isn't feasible with the team that's in place and it's crawling along...
I understand this feeling. It's hard to be excited about something that looks like it will never materialize. I enjoy working behind a computer, but I'm on a few IT projects that have been underway for a long time with very little to show for them, because there's never been adequate human, financial, or political capital spent on them. Any action that I can take from day to day is insufficient to move the needle at this point, and it's clear that things will continue like this until certain bosses leave, or until I leave. Fortunately, I'm leaving soon. It's just an internal move with the same employer, so it's easy, and it's enough to get an exciting and fresh start on something else.
fortunefavored wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:40 pm ...Park Ranger jobs are almost impossible to get (often requires a 4 year ecology related degree PLUS law enforcement training.)...
Interesting, and not surprising. I agree that low-stress, fun jobs are likely impossible to either find or get. Becoming financially independent does seem to be the only reliable way to reduce job stress.
plymouth1

Post by plymouth1 »

There are 231 job openings on usajobs.gov with a keyword search of 'national park service' and 65 explicitly for 'park ranger' (although some of these clearly require law enforcement training.)

So don't get too discouraged that something in this field won't be possible. :happy
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

ThankYouJack wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:23 pm I don't think I have burnout but after about 20 years of work behind a computer, I'm getting bored/tired with it. Part of the reason is because the project I'm working on isn't feasible with the team that's in place and it's crawling along. I could look to switch jobs but currently feeling that any job 40+ hours a week behind a computer isn't what I want as I get closer to financial independence.

Anyone feel similar?
Yes! I feel the same after 20+ consecutive years behind a computer.
I yearn/ dream to help people directly somehow. Not interface with a computer all day. Ironically, I may need more actual time during the day to make a transition like this. I’m lucky my day is quite short and I’m able to run around with the kids at the moment (school, sports etc).
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
ProsperGoalzz

Post by ProsperGoalzz »

spammagnet wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:27 pm
mhc wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:29 pmGet a dog. ...
Don't get a pet unless you really want a pet, not to help you relieve your ennui. Many people who got a pet in 2020 are surrendering them for adoption. It's like all the people who bought RVs only to learn they really don't like camping. In this case, though, the pet pays the price.
+1

Pets are a lifetime commitment. Not only to feed, but to walk (dogs), play with, provide medical care...they give way more in return but require a lot. Try fostering of you think you want a pet. You could save a life and that definitely can add purpose to yours.

Regarding boredom, yes, I think many of us feel it. With less to do, work seems to play a bigger role. And with life and death at the forefront, delivering a project for profit feels a bit futile.
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I will trade you! Burnt out and stressed out over here.

It is really all about perspective, my business is a headache. Covid has added many obstacles.

While the last two years have been brutal, they have also been my highest earning years.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Sometimes you simply have to live with your dislike of your work because it's what keeps food on the table.
wander

Post by wander »

Funny, even after 30+ years of working, I still can find something interesting to work on at my "bored job".
leftcoaster

Post by leftcoaster »

Try volunteering in an area that has nothing to do with your work. Even if it’s just one Saturday a month, the right volunteer job can be intellectually stimulating, come with a community of diverse (in all senses) people, be outside and involve interpersonal interaction. I wouldn’t start out with a docent gig as that’s a big commitment with as much as a year of training. But there are plenty of unglamorous roles that will give you a sense of purpose while also providing the gear shift you desire. If Habitat for Humanity is doing builds in your area, why not give it a try for a day?

If your work is in tech, resist doing similar work as a volunteer. It will be frustrating and you won’t get the growth you seek.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

ThankYouJack wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:23 pm I don't think I have burnout but after about 20 years of work behind a computer, I'm getting bored/tired with it. Part of the reason is because the project I'm working on isn't feasible with the team that's in place and it's crawling along.
I feel quite similar, but my boss is so awesome and I have so much work autonomy/work-life balance that I know I would regret it if I switched to anything else. I essentially have a dream job, except I'm tired of "moving boulders" (everything moves so slow that I don't think my program ever succeeds). At this point I'm just hoping it can stay afloat for 10 more years when I have decided I am done done (at 50), and am focused on outside work endeavors (my family, rehabbing my broken back, climbing mountains, BJJ and muy thai) to keep me interested.
tvubpwcisla

Post by tvubpwcisla »

90% of people probably fall into that category. Keep the long term picture in mind and try to stay positive.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

Of course it happened at times. As it happens later in life, it becomes one thought thread that introduces thinking and planning for retirement. Earlier, it is something that passes or leads to changes, though the whole FIRE concept is foreign to many of us older posters, I suspect.

Tim
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

I certainly become incredibly bored with work.

At first, I tried to entertain myself by being very difficult with attorneys (surprising how many recruiting messages you start getting at that point). Then I decided to just do our final planning for early retirement, hit our numbers, and pulled the plug.

Boredom solved!

Granted, I found that my work day often felt like an interference with my non-work activities.
tj

Post by tj »

I often get bored with jobs...that's why I try different jobs. The privilege of not requiring massive income to survive. 🤷🏻‍♂️
susan123

Post by susan123 »

I don't like to complain, but since you asked, yes, I get bored at work often.
cheapskate

Post by cheapskate »

Anyone feel similar?
I felt this way after 30 years of work, I quit my well paying job, took about 10 months off and found something else that was much more interesting, and fast paced, where I get to ship stuff on a regular basis. If taking a year off and re-entering the workforce is not feasible, there are a few things you could try :

- Take a personal Leave of Absence for a month or 2 (could be unpaid).
- Take all the vacation you have, to try and recharge.
- A dog was mentioned here. I have 2 dogs (rescues), my besties ! I am forced to walk 2x a day thanks to the dogs, I am out about 3 hours a day on average walking around 5 miles (my dogs are older so they are slow and want to stop everywhere and smell everything).
- Can you transition to a different team (different area within tech altogether) to try and juice up your work life ? I've done this several times in my career, and worked in different areas (and different companies). It has helped increase my work longevity.

Feeling bored with work is a very common theme in Tech. Something you should endeavor to work through.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I always thought it would be fun to just sort of dial back on my job performance while still covering the basics. Continue to say the right things, and give no outward signs that you've checked out. Then live a happier, more balanced life until they get tired of you. Perhaps there would be severance. :twisted:
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Work is work.

You do it for money.

You try to find work that is tolerable and pays "enough" where you mainly interact with mostly pleasant people that you like. Bonus points if you can avoid dealing with the general public.

Unless a job that pays me to actually pursue my personal interests magically materializes out of thin air, boredom is desirable.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
N.Y.Cab

Post by N.Y.Cab »

gatorking wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:26 pm If you have access to NYT: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/04/19/well ... shing.html
There’s a TED Talks video by the author, Adam Grant, on YouTube: https://youtu.be/a3zPgyvCiJI
fortunefavored

Post by fortunefavored »

whodidntante wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 1:29 pm I always thought it would be fun to just sort of dial back on my job performance while still covering the basics. Continue to say the right things, and give no outward signs that you've checked out. Then live a happier, more balanced life until they get tired of you. Perhaps there would be severance. :twisted:
This is kind of what I did. Took 18 months to get laid off. :) Although covid limited opportunities to exploit it much. It was nice to not be constantly running to stay in place and being fine with sliding back.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

ThankYouJack wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:23 pmI could look to switch jobs but currently feeling that any job 40+ hours a week behind a computer isn't what I want as I get closer to financial independence.

I changed careers twice. You can too, if you want to.

I find it sad when people write about being burned out or bored. If you don't like your current situation - change it! Take control of your life!
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Topic Author
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

Thanks for the replies. Especially interested in the languishing article and will watch the Ted Talk by the author. I am pretty fortunate with my job situation as I'm happy with my pay for how much I have to work, can find the flow at times with what I do, but may look around more seriously in a couple months after I hit a milestone.
Apathizer

Post by Apathizer »

I've been bored with work pretty much since I started about 30 years ago. :(
ROTH: 50% AVGE, 10% DFAX, 40% BNDW. Taxable: 50% BNDW, 40% AVGE, 10% DFAX.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Apathizer wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:30 pm I've been bored with work pretty much since I started about 30 years ago. :(
Did you attempt to find a not-boring job?
Apathizer

Post by Apathizer »

JoeRetire wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:38 pm
Apathizer wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:30 pm I've been bored with work pretty much since I started about 30 years ago. :(
I've had many jobs. The one I have now is one of the less boring ones I've had, but it's still boring. In my experience the vast majority are, at least if you do them full time. Most part-time jobs are tolerable.

I'm open to advice. Do you have any suggestions for interesting jobs that most people have a reasonable chance to get?
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Apathizer wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:45 pm
I've had many jobs. The one I have now is one of the less boring ones I've had, but it's still boring. In my experience the vast majority are, at least if you do them full time. Most part-time jobs are tolerable.

I'm open to advice. Do you have any suggestions for interesting jobs that most people have a reasonable chance to get?
I usually had jobs that interested me - I wouldn't stay at a boring job for long. But such preferences are individual - they depend on what you like, and of course what you can do.

Perhaps you need to change work domains rather than just jobs. Or work two part-time jobs.
Apathizer

Post by Apathizer »

JoeRetire wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:54 pm

I usually had jobs that interested me - I wouldn't stay at a boring job for long. But such preferences are individual - they depend on what you like, and of course what you can do.

Perhaps you need to change work domains rather than just jobs. Or work two part-time jobs.
I'm guessing you're older? If so, maybe the job market was better during your working years. A few years ago results of a study were published showing a little more than half of all workers essentially 'zone-out' at work, meaning they generally don't like and find meaningful their jobs. That's consistent with my personal experience.

I'm 50 and wasn't very focused when I was younger, so I've bounced around many different jobs. Most people I know who like their jobs have more definite focus and interest than me, and that's especially important in the contemporary job market. In terms of pay and benefits my job is fine, but it's tedious. Most other jobs I could get at this point in life are also tedious, and I'd also probably have to take a major pay cut. I'm willing to do that at some point, but not right now.
fortunefavored

Post by fortunefavored »

Apathizer wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:13 pm
JoeRetire wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:54 pm

I'm guessing you're older? If so, maybe the job market was better during your working years. A few years ago results of a study were published showing a little more than half of all workers essentially 'zone-out' at work, meaning they generally don't like and find meaningful their jobs. That's consistent with my personal experience.

I'm 50 and wasn't very focused when I was younger, so I've bounced around many different jobs. Most people I know who like their jobs have more definite focus and interest than me, and that's especially important in the contemporary job market. In terms of pay and benefits my job is fine, but it's tedious. Most other jobs I could get at this point in life are also tedious, and I'd also probably have to take a major pay cut. I'm willing to do that at some point, but not right now.
I expect the pay gap between "late career" jobs and "starting over" was maybe not as large in the past, too. It's tough to eat a 90% paycut just because your job is boring. Plus the barrier of entry for changing jobs is ridiculous now - they nearly all require 4 year specialized degrees as a basic table stakes, and then pay poorly on top of it.

I can see a lot of legit reasons for the quasi-general-strike going on in some areas.
Apathizer

Post by Apathizer »

fortunefavored wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:22 pmI expect the pay gap between "late career" jobs and "starting over" was maybe not as large in the past, too. It's tough to eat a 90% paycut just because your job is boring. Plus the barrier of entry for changing jobs is ridiculous now - they nearly all require 4 year specialized degrees as a basic table stakes, and then pay poorly on top of it.

I can see a lot of legit reasons for the quasi-general-strike going on in some areas.
Yeah, and if you don't have a practical degree it doesn't help much. I have a BA, which wasn't even all that useful when I got it in the late 90s. Now it's essentially what a HS diploma was 40 years ago. If I had to do it over again I'd probably have learned a skilled trade or other more practical education. Oh well. It was my mistake. Now I just have to deal with it.
Tool-Time

Post by Tool-Time »

I actually love my job. Management for the department sucks, they refuse to promote unless they person fits a certain "profile". Upper management's bonuses are based on how many people from a certain category are promoted. We had 3 people transfer out last year alone. They moved to another department to get more money. Ours is a small department, 20 people. Funny thing is the current director came up in the department and had to quit to get promoted, yet continues the same practices.
One engineer was told he could not be promoted because he had a Tech degree, not a Engineering degree. His side of the department was split off from ours. Within a year he was promoted to Engineer, then Senior Engineer. His is now a Lead Engineer. His job function did not change, only the department he works for.
Gee, I dont love my job as much as I thought!
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Anyone feel similar?
Questions:

1. What can you bring to your existing job to make it more interesting and rewarding?
2. What career goals can you modify (move the goalpost) to make your career more personally rewarding?
3. What can you contribute to your "team" and improve relationships to " ".?
4. What can you add or modify to your time and activities and lifestyle after the 40 hr work week to add balance to life?
5. Can you work or volunteer part time on your day's off to. . . " ".?
6. Can you take a traditional Karate, Aikido, or Tai Chi class: and also a meditation class, after work, perhaps 3x/week ??
7. Do you have a Golden Retriever puppy and an enclosed back yard?

The point here and reason for the picture is, actionably: to do several things:
1. Reassess your goals, career and personal, etc, to bring back your focus because loss of focus = loss of intensity = loss of direction = boredom, mediocrity, ambivalence.
2. Take yourself out of yourself by focusing on larger things IE: puppy, goals, larger picture of life, finances, etc.
3. Restore balance and passion for life.

Actionably: read softcover: (Amazon)
"Life Strategy" by Dr. Phil McGraw.
As a Man Thinketh (memorize it).
Sieze the Day

It's like focusing on a slight tooth ache or eye irritation until it becomes the only thought and concern in one's mind.

The solution and answer is not outside. . it's inside.
j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Apathizer wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 7:13 pm I'm guessing you're older?
Yes. I'm old. I've been around since the Earth began cooling.
If so, maybe the job market was better during your working years.
I worked over 45 years. Some years the job market was great. Some years the job market was terrible.
Today, you could walk down the street in my locale, turn right or left, and find a job. At least where I live, it has never been easier to get a job.
A few years ago results of a study were published showing a little more than half of all workers essentially 'zone-out' at work, meaning they generally don't like and find meaningful their jobs. That's consistent with my personal experience.

Yup. We each make our own choices. For me, working in a job that bored me was always something to avoid. And so I chose not to do so.

You wrote " part of me is thinking about semi-FIREing to something part-time like a Park Ranger or some physical work". My advice is, if you really want something like that, just posting here isn't going to make it happen. Go do it.
Apathizer

Post by Apathizer »

JoeRetire wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:17 amI worked over 45 years. Some years the job market was great. Some years the job market was terrible. Today, you could walk down the street in my locale, turn right or left, and find a job. At least where I live, it has never been easier to get a job.
A job yes. An enjoyable, satisfying job, no. The vast majority of those jobs are low-wage service jobs that don't pay very well; that's what I mean by contemporary economy. Sure, there are lots of jobs, just not very many good ones. My current job isn't very substantial, but I'm paid fairly well since I've been there about 15 years :( To start another job I'd probably have to take at least a 40% pay cut. I'm willing to do that at some point but financially that wouldn't be a good idea right now.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Apathizer wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:49 am
JoeRetire wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 8:17 amI worked over 45 years. Some years the job market was great. Some years the job market was terrible. Today, you could walk down the street in my locale, turn right or left, and find a job. At least where I live, it has never been easier to get a job.
A job yes. An enjoyable, satisfying job, no. The vast majority of those jobs are low-wage service jobs that don't pay very well; that's what I mean by contemporary economy. Sure, there are lots of jobs, just not very many good ones. My current job isn't very substantial, but I'm paid fairly well since I've been there about 15 years :( To start another job I'd probably have to take at least a 40% pay cut. I'm willing to do that at some point but financially that wouldn't be a good idea right now.
(shrug) Got it.

We all make tradeoffs in our lives. Sounds like you've made yours.
Apathizer

Post by Apathizer »

JoeRetire wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:27 pm (shrug) Got it.

Trade-offs and mistakes. Though my mistakes weren't terrible, I wish had taken a more practical educations path. I have a BA, but that's not very useful unfortunately.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Apathizer wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:04 pm

Trade-offs and mistakes. Though my mistakes weren't terrible, I wish had taken a more practical educations path. I have a BA, but that's not very useful unfortunately.
I learned mid-career that it's never too late to get more education.
Apathizer

Post by Apathizer »

JoeRetire wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:05 pm

Again, times are different now. Educations was more affordable then. I don't want to borrow significant money, so if I go back it will probably be community college (or whatever the preferred term is now).
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

Apathizer wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:10 pm
JoeRetire wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:05 pm

Again, times are different now. Educations was more affordable then. I don't want to borrow significant money, so if I go back it will probably be community college (or whatever the preferred term is now).
You keep coming up with reasons not to do something. That's your choice to make.