Anyone feeling "bored-out" with work?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
JoeRetire

Re: Anyone feeling "bored-out" with work?

Post by JoeRetire »

3CT_Paddler wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:01 am I am calling BS on that one. It has never been easier to get a blue collar job that pays well if you can show up sober and do the work.
It's far more about motivation, than about available opportunities, IMHO.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Apathizer

Post by Apathizer »

3CT_Paddler wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:01 amI am calling BS on that one. It has never been easier to get a blue collar job (skilled trade) that pays well if you can show up sober and do the work.
But contrary to somewhat popular belief, skilled-trade jobs require significant training. You can't just magically become a plumber, electrician, carpenter, etc. You also have to be physically capable of doing those jobs; not everyone is, esp older persons.
fortunefavored wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:39 amI think we can agree coding is in an absolutely unique time and place where someone with aptitude and minimal experience can still make the leap into a lucrative career. If you don't have the aptitude (I sure don't!) it's like saying "become an astronaut."

I would be curious to see Apathizer's salary, career progression and portfolio review and why they are stuck. Start your own thread, Apathizer. :)
Exactly! Self-absorption is a major problem many have in the US. Most people tend to inhabit a very small social circle of people just like themselves: similar jobs, socioeconomic status, politics, philosophy, etc. As a consequence many people just assume most people are like themselves and their social circle when that's not the case.

For example, one of my neighbor's family is affluent, so she can get by dabbling in art and not having consistent work. She knows I'm bored with work and doesn't seem to understand why I just don't do something else. She doesn't seem to understand not everyone is wealthy. Some of us have mortgages and other bills to pay and can't just dabble in creative interests. We both have a fairly modest lifestyle, but her family pays for most of hers; mine doesn't.

As for my job, I think my issue isn't so much the job itself but that it's been changed so I don't have the flexibility to work less the way I used to. Technically my job is part-time, but I don't have the option to work less than 35 hrs/wk, so it's really not part-time anymore.
ROTH: 50% AVGE, 10% DFAX, 40% BNDW. Taxable: 50% BNDW, 40% AVGE, 10% DFAX.
eye.surgeon

Post by eye.surgeon »

ThankYouJack wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 4:23 pm I don't think I'm ready to leave a lot of money on the table, but part of me is thinking about semi-FIREing to something part-time like a Park Ranger or some physical work.
Don't confuse enjoying nature with enjoying being a park ranger. Anyone who has spent any time around people in a national park can imagine what it's like spending all day telling Chinese tourists not to try to pet the Buffalos.
"I would rather be certain of a good return than hopeful of a great one" | Warren Buffett
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Apathizer wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:51 am
3CT_Paddler wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:01 amI am calling BS on that one. It has never been easier to get a blue collar job (skilled trade) that pays well if you can show up sober and do the work.
But contrary to somewhat popular belief, skilled-trade jobs require significant training. You can't just magically become a plumber, electrician, carpenter, etc. You also have to be physically capable of doing those jobs; not everyone is, esp older persons.
fortunefavored wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 7:39 amI think we can agree coding is in an absolutely unique time and place where someone with aptitude and minimal experience can still make the leap into a lucrative career. If you don't have the aptitude (I sure don't!) it's like saying "become an astronaut."

I would be curious to see Apathizer's salary, career progression and portfolio review and why they are stuck. Start your own thread, Apathizer. :)
Exactly! Self-absorption is a major problem many have in the US. Most people tend to inhabit a very small social circle of people just like themselves: similar jobs, socioeconomic status, politics, philosophy, etc. As a consequence many people just assume most people are like themselves and their social circle when that's not the case.

I'm a first generation citizen of the U.S., from a broken home (mother raised 5 kids on her own, haven't seen birth father since I was 11), grew up in one of the worst neighborhoods in Los Angeles, was the first person in my family to graduate high school let alone go to college (both parents and older brother did not graduate high school), and I am on the autism spectrum. Most of my colleagues (I'm a researcher and program director in healthcare) come from a totally different background than I do and it's the same for my wife (who couldn't be more different than I, and works in a totally different field). I certainly don't assume everybody is like me (because nobody in my circle is like me at all, in pretty much every way), but I do know that I am not some genius or special in any way, and nothing I have accomplished is not possible for a lot of people.

I think the bolded sentence exemplifies your problem; get outside of your circle and comfort zone, get to know some successful people. You'll find out really quick that most of them are no more inherently capable than you are nor do they have some other advantage, but they don't play the victim and talk as if they are in some caste system.
3CT_Paddler

Post by 3CT_Paddler »

Apathizer wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 9:51 am
Significant training? Work under someone for 3 years and you can write your own ticket in plumbing. I would not consider 3 years to be significant. Carpentry requires no licensing to go out on your own... you just have to figure out what you are doing. And there are many other blue collar opportunities that require no licensing to get up and running. Just about any work of value requires training and learning - whether that is blue collar or white collar.

Apathizer, I know many people under 40 who have done quite well for themselves in blue collar jobs. Usually it requires betting on yourself and starting up a company, which is not without risk, but that is life.
Flyer24

Post by Flyer24 »

Topic has derailed from helping the original poster. Thread is locked.