Account type for LTC self insurance funds

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Poor Rod

Account type for LTC self insurance funds

Post by Poor Rod »

I'm 55, wife is 60. Plan on retiring in a little over a year and have decided to skip long term care insurance and self insure instead. Based on family history, there is a good chance one to five years of care will be needed when we are in our mid eighties, so funds set aside for the self insurance have a couple decades to grow.

My question is where exactly to set aside the funds (which are probably going $250K and 100% VTI). I don't have an HSA, but I do have the following available to me 1) my Roth IRA, which I don't need for retirement funds (TSP will be more than adequate); 2) a regular taxable account; and 3) an inheritance held in a trust account (not yet in place, but should be soon). I was planning on just using the trust account, but realize that the tax treatment of trusts may make this a less desirable choice, especially if I need to make tax decisions when I am in my eighties and may not be all there mentally.

Or am I overthinking this, and shouldn't really have a designated pot of money for LTC as long as I have adequate funds across all accounts? My thinking was if I am going to say I am self insured that's only true if I have the funds specifically set aside for it.