Yorba Linda Vs. East side of San Diego

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
cbr shadow

Yorba Linda Vs. East side of San Diego

Post by cbr shadow »

My wife and I are looking at locations to move to, roughly 16 months from now. We live in the SF Bay Area and want an area that is a bit more affordable, but still has good schools and warm weather.

We're considering Orange County (zeroing in on Yorba Linda for its good schools and somewhat affordable homes) and also San Diego (Rancho Penasquitos, San Bernardo, maybe San Carlos)

I'm wondering if folks here could compare/contrast these areas. I took a trip to San Diego and saw some of these places in person, but my wife and I are planning a longer trip to check out the area soon. We'll also make it to orange county for an extended trip sometime soon as well. What are the big differences in these places? Wife works remotely and I work for a large tech firm that is in both of those areas, but I'll likely work remotely for a long time regardless.

How is the weather different? I hear the east side of san diego is hot, but the east side of the SF Bay is known for being hot and we like it.
How about air quality? Fire risk?
Total Cost of living?
Schools?
Outdoor things to do?

Any of your thoughts would be great.
DebiT

Re: Yorba Linda Vs. East side of San Diego

Post by DebiT »

I’m a grandmother living in Rancho Bernardo, grandkids live in Poway but go to Catholic school. Many parts of northern San Diego are still Poway school district, which is supposed to be excellent. Don’t know about San Diego Unified. Weather is great,warmer than the coast, summers can hit 100 occasionally, but cools off at night.

No info on Yorba Linda
Age 66, life turned upside down 3/2/19, thanking God for what I've learned from this group. AA 40/60 for now, possibly changing at age 70.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

San Diego East County would typically be El Cajon along I-8. You are looking at the I-15 corridor and Rancho Bernardo and Penasquitos. Or it might be called Inland North County or North San Diego City (since they are in the city of San Diego). However San Carlos is closer to East County.

Rancho Bernardo/RPQ is not as hot as East County (El Cajon). Parts of RPQ get ocean breezes, same with San Carlos. Rancho Bernardo and RPQ are generally in the Poway School District which is viewed as desirable.

I think Yorba Linda and Rancho Bernardo/Rancho Penasquitos are in many ways going to be similar in terms of demographic factors. Both are going to have good schools. Home development mostly in the 70s-80s, some earlier, with some areas up into the 2000s (such as 4S Ranch).

You have to look at the maps regarding fires. If you see large mountainous areas and open spaces you can expect there will be fires. You can somewhat mitigate by buying a house a few blocks from these areas, but as history has shown if there are high winds along with a very large fire it might not be enough.

I think the main decision is whether you want to be in San Diego or Orange County.
carminered2019

Post by carminered2019 »

I live in Corona and it's about 12 miles East of YBL and the weather is about the same as East SD. You will Have to use your AC in July, August and 2 weeks in September in YBL.

are you opened to other cities in south OC like Irvine, Dana Point, ETC... ?
plasticofantastico

Post by plasticofantastico »

We live in north Poway, 'The City in the Country.' It used to be horsey and rural, and some of that spirit remains. The city is pretty well managed, and has nice parks and open areas (Lake Poway, Blue Sky Preserve, Iron Mountain). The schools are excellent, and as others mentioned, PUSD administers schools for several local communities (RB, 4S Ranch, Rancho Penasquitos) that are technically in the city of San Diego.

The weather is fine in San Diego most places West of the foothills. We are typically about 10 degrees warmer than Del Mar, which is 6 miles West.

You might want to look at South Escondido. We used to live by Lake Hodges, and liked it very much. Escondido has a lovely downtown area with restaurants, brewpubs, and bars.
Topic Author
cbr shadow

Post by cbr shadow »

carminered2019 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 4:36 pm I live in Corona and it's about 12 miles East of YBL and the weather is about the same as East SD. You will Have to use your AC in July, August and 2 weeks in September in YBL.

are you opened to other cities in south OC like Irvine, Dana Point, ETC... ?
Yes, we keyed in to Yorba Linda because of the highly rated schools but also relatively lower cost homes than Irvine. I need to visit the area to get a better feel for the tradeoffs. Any advice you could give would be appreciated.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

San Carlos really is in the East County. RB and Peñasquitos are in North County inland. It’s more consistently hotter in San Carlos than along the 15. Depending on what you do for a living, job opportunities might be better along the 15. There are a bunch of tech employers along that corridor. The employers around San Carlos are more light industrial.

I would also be looking at Carlsbad. Good schools and more coastal climate.

Sorry, I don’t know enough about Yorba Linda to compare. It really depends on whether you want to be in San Diego County or Orange County. They are both good places to live, but have different advantages and disadvantages.
mrpotatoheadsays

Post by mrpotatoheadsays »

cbr shadow wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:32 pm
We're considering Orange County (zeroing in on Yorba Linda for its good schools and somewhat affordable homes) and also San Diego (Rancho Penasquitos, San Bernardo, maybe San Carlos)

What are the big differences in these places?

How is the weather different?
Total Cost of living?
Schools?
Outdoor things to do?
Orange County (Yorba Linda) is people living on top of people living on top of people sucking in smog. Need to run errands Saturday? Be sure to allocate 8 hours. In San Diego: 1/2 hour.

Rancho Penasquitos (little cliffs) is a nice family-oriented place. It is not in the east, being west of the 15; so central. It gets very hot in August and September. Air quality is OK. San Diego is not a smog place like Los Angeles and Orange County. Lot's of outdoor things to do. Home of Little Black Mountain for hiking and rattlesnake chasing. With so much open space, it's a high fire risk. But fire risk is limited to when the Santa Ana winds blow.

San Bernardo? You mean the city in San Bernardino County, east of Orange County? I think you mean Rancho Bernardo. Rancho Bernardo I know as an small high-tech town that shutdowns on the weekend. Many tech companies failed and closed-up, so it is evolving. I also know it as a preferred location for tradesmen as it was cheaper to live there 15 years ago. It straddles the 15, so central and east. So much is built-up, it is probably a lower fire risk.

San Carlos? You mean the city in San Mateo County near San Francisco? I think you mean San Marcos. San Marcos is "out in the sticks". A super high fire risk. In fact, the last big fire we had here started in San Marcos. Ten to twenty years from now it will probably be all built-up.

[EDIT] Oh, San Carlos by Mission Trails. Eh, half is over-built and the other half is quarry. It reminds me of Serra Mesa where everything was built in the 1950s. These communities are often termite infested and a Fred Sanford lives on every block. [END EDIT]

In San Diego, you are 30 minutes from the beach and 30 minutes from the mountains (snow in the winter). What outdoor thing can't you do?

Consider: Oceanside and Mission Valley (e.g. Civita).
stan1

Post by stan1 »

mrpotatoheadsays wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:12 pm San Carlos? You mean the city in San Mateo County near San Francisco? I think you mean San Marcos.
I assumed he's referring to the actual San Carlos neighborhood, which is in the City of San Diego roughly between Lake Murray and Cowles Mountain (about 2 miles north of SDSU).
AquaBliss

Post by AquaBliss »

I grew up in Yorba Linda but now live in Irvine, CA. Irvine is far superior to Yorba Linda in many ways IMO. Higher income earners here, more well behaved teenagers (no place is perfect but too many hoodlums in Yorba Linda for me), weather is considerably cooler, common area's are well manicured, food is better, schools are better.

If you visit Orange County at least check some neighborhoods and homes in South OC like Irvine, Aliso Viejo, Laguna Niguel - lots of great neighborhoods. I've been to San Diego (all sides) many times but not my cup of tea to live there - to each his own.

If you have any more questions about Yorba Linda let me know - as with anywhere, standard of living is probably very dependent upon your housing budget.
Gidget128

Post by Gidget128 »

I grew up in San Carlos. It is still in the City of San Diego. It has good schools, basically no crime. Still parents of kids I went to school with live there. They bought their homes in the 1960's for $25,000 and the homes in the nicer areas near Patrick Henry High School were built in the 1970's. Homes now go from $700,000 to over a million. Great neighborhood for families as the older folks die off the younger families move in. If you have money Del Cerro is really nice!

San Carlos is nothing like Serra Mesa in my opinion. The schools in Serra Mesa are not as good. Homes were built in the 1950's and are worth as much as San Carlos now. The neighborhood is more diverse areas are Asian, Hispanic, not so much like it was in the 1950's basically all white. It is closer to the beach so not as hot as San Carlos. You really have to visit these areas to see what everyone is taking about.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I'd decide first between Orange County and San Diego. After that you can narrow down further, but trying to compare San Diego neighborhoods with Orange County neighborhoods is going to be a tough way ahead. Or pick Southern Orange County if you can't decide, which would be Aliso Viejo and Laguna Niguel (both nice, if in budget) as already mentioned.
BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey »

cbr shadow wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 1:32 pm My wife and I are looking at locations to move to, roughly 16 months from now. We live in the SF Bay Area and want an area that is a bit more affordable, but still has good schools and warm weather.

I'm wondering if folks here could compare/contrast these areas. I took a trip to San Diego and saw some of these places in person, but my wife and I are planning a longer trip to check out the area soon. We'll also make it to orange county for an extended trip sometime soon as well. What are the big differences in these places? Wife works remotely and I work for a large tech firm that is in both of those areas, but I'll likely work remotely for a long time regardless.

How is the weather different? I hear the east side of san diego is hot, but the east side of the SF Bay is known for being hot and we like it.
Total Cost of living?
Schools?
Outdoor things to do?

Any of your thoughts would be great.
Frankly, I'd look at some other areas. YL is warm in the summer and kind of tucked into the NE corner of OC. Not really that central. Schools are solid. Southern Orange County is cooler if you stay somewhat coastal. Irvine has outstanding schools. Fullerton (North Orange County) has some outstanding schools too. It's warmer, more demographically diverse, and has true city downtown unlike much of South County. Can't really comment on San Diego except better weather and little more elbow room.
An important key to investing is having a well-calibrated sense of your future regret.
bligh

Post by bligh »

Can confirm the great advice above is accurate. Some points to consider:

* One thing to note that much of Yorba Linda sits along side the 91 freeway which is notorious for its rush hour traffic.
* In my experience, Irvine is indeed a really great place to live though Irvine living is a bit 'denser' than the Yorba Linda area. (Nothing terrible, but think smaller yards, longer lines, fuller parking lots, longer waiting times to be seated at restaurants, etc.)
* Yorba Linda itself isn't an island in terms of Good schools and safe neighborhoods. If you decide to move to the neighborhood, you can consider places in North OC areas as well (for example, Anaheim Hills sits across the 91 from it (or North Tustin if you want to go closer to Irvine without being in Irvine). Equally safe and great schools that are comparable to Yorba Linda.

Can't speak much for San Diego since I am not as familiar with it, but it does seem like a great place to live and essentially an extension of the South OC vibe.
DebiT

Post by DebiT »

I’ll chime in again re my experience of distances and traffic in San Diego county. I moved to Rancho Bernardo (North County Inland) in May 2020 from Simi Valley, just west of San Fernando Valley. To got to theater in Los Angeles was a major traffic experience, and to go to airport LAX or anything along 405 freeway was a special sort of hell. To visit my mother in Alhambra from Simi was annoying, and from RB was also hellish (so I moved her here, yay!)

Seems like everything is about 30 minutes, and while people complain about traffic, they have no idea . San Diego airport is easy, like Burbank, and seems to serve people well, although I have no direct experience , because Covid. Downtown SD is not like downtown LA, nor is getting there like getting ti downtown LA. I continue to be surprised by how much easier everything is to get to here in San Diego county.

Don’t know anything about Orange County, but it’s the post above about traffic and errands there that led me to post this. My general sense is that OC is much more dense.

Hope this helps. A week long trip, spanning 2 weekends one in each area, would be clever and probably help a lot
Age 66, life turned upside down 3/2/19, thanking God for what I've learned from this group. AA 40/60 for now, possibly changing at age 70.
BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey »

mrpotatoheadsays wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:12 pm

What are the big differences in these places?

How is the weather different?
Total Cost of living?
Schools?
Outdoor things to do?
Orange County (Yorba Linda) is people living on top of people living on top of people sucking in smog. Need to run errands Saturday? Be sure to allocate 8 hours. In San Diego: 1/2 hour.

Rancho Penasquitos (little cliffs) is a nice family-oriented place. It is not in the east, being west of the 15; so central. It gets very hot in August and September. Air quality is OK. San Diego is not a smog place like Los Angeles and Orange County. Lot's of outdoor things to do. Home of Little Black Mountain for hiking and rattlesnake chasing. With so much open space, it's a high fire risk. But fire risk is limited to when the Santa Ana winds blow.

San Bernardo? You mean the city in San Bernardino County, east of Orange County? I think you mean Rancho Bernardo. Rancho Bernardo I know as an small high-tech town that shutdowns on the weekend. Many tech companies failed and closed-up, so it is evolving. I also know it as a preferred location for tradesmen as it was cheaper to live there 15 years ago. It straddles the 15, so central and east. So much is built-up, it is probably a lower fire risk.

San Carlos? You mean the city in San Mateo County near San Francisco? I think you mean San Marcos. San Marcos is "out in the sticks". A super high fire risk. In fact, the last big fire we had here started in San Marcos. Ten to twenty years from now it will probably be all built-up.

[EDIT] Oh, San Carlos by Mission Trails. Eh, half is over-built and the other half is quarry. It reminds me of Serra Mesa where everything was built in the 1950s. These communities are often termite infested and a Fred Sanford lives on every block. [END EDIT]

In San Diego, you are 30 minutes from the beach and 30 minutes from the mountains (snow in the winter). What outdoor thing can't you do?

I would challenge this view. Air quality in much of OC is pretty good. YL is not the best as it is very hot in the summer and as I noted earlier it's not very central to LA / rest of OC. Maybe running errands on Saturday are a challenge in YL but not necessarily everywhere else in the OC.
An important key to investing is having a well-calibrated sense of your future regret.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

DebiT wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 11:32 am I’ll chime in again re my experience of distances and traffic in San Diego county. I moved to Rancho Bernardo (North County Inland) in May 2020 from Simi Valley, just west of San Fernando Valley. To got to theater in Los Angeles was a major traffic experience, and to go to airport LAX or anything along 405 freeway was a special sort of hell. To visit my mother in Alhambra from Simi was annoying, and from RB was also hellish (so I moved her here, yay!)

Seems like everything is about 30 minutes, and while people complain about traffic, they have no idea . San Diego airport is easy, like Burbank, and seems to serve people well, although I have no direct experience , because Covid. Downtown SD is not like downtown LA, nor is getting there like getting ti downtown LA. I continue to be surprised by how much easier everything is to get to here in San Diego county.

Don’t know anything about Orange County, but it’s the post above about traffic and errands there that led me to post this. My general sense is that OC is much more dense.

Hope this helps. A week long trip, spanning 2 weekends one in each area, would be clever and probably help a lot
Yes, getting around San Diego is much easier than getting around Orange or LA counties. People like to complain about traffic and parking in San Diego, but they really have no idea how bad it can be other places.

The flip side of that is that if you’re into theater, concerts, professional sports, etc, there’s a lot more of that in LA, and most San Diegans end up either driving or taking the train up to see and do things that don’t happen in San Diego. Also, San Diego’s airport is much easier to deal with than LAX, but you can’t get places from San Diego without changing planes, especially internationally. A lot of the time when we’re traveling internationally, we drive up to LAX and fly out of there.

So yeah, I prefer San Diego because the day to day is kinder and gentler. But there are advantages to being where the action is, too. It depends on the lifestyle OP wants.
mrpotatoheadsays

Post by mrpotatoheadsays »

BernardShakey wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:48 pm
Orange County (Yorba Linda) is people living on top of people living on top of people sucking in smog.
I would challenge this view. Air quality in much of OC is pretty good.
The American Lung Association's 2021 State of the Air report ranked Orange County the 25th most polluted county in America. San Diego came in at 9th. The US has 3,006 counties; so both are in the top 1%; that would be pretty bad.

Having lived in Orange, Los Angeles and San Diego, I can say location helps. In Anaheim (Orange), I could smell the smog, my car was constantly covered in soot, and I could not see the east mountain range unless it rained the day before. In Manhattan Beach (Los Angeles), I got the breeze off the Pacific Ocean and never had issues with smog, but ventures inland proved why Los Angeles ranked 3rd on the list. In San Diego {city} (San Diego), I do not smell or notice smog; so I don't understand the ranking; the only thing I can think of is maybe my mind, eyes and lungs are so damaged that I don't even notice it anymore.

Reference: https://www.lung.org/getmedia/17c6cb6c- ... a-2021.pdf
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

mrpotatoheadsays wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 2:47 pm
BernardShakey wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 12:48 pm
Orange County (Yorba Linda) is people living on top of people living on top of people sucking in smog.
I would challenge this view. Air quality in much of OC is pretty good.
The American Lung Association's 2021 State of the Air report ranked Orange County the 25th most polluted county in America. San Diego came in at 9th. The US has 3,006 counties; so both are in the top 1%; that would be pretty bad.

Having lived in Orange, Los Angeles and San Diego, I can say location helps. In Anaheim (Orange), I could smell the smog, my car was constantly covered in soot, and I could not see the east mountain range unless it rained the day before. In Manhattan Beach (Los Angeles), I got the breeze off the Pacific Ocean and never had issues with smog, but ventures inland proved why Los Angeles ranked 3rd on the list. In San Diego {city} (San Diego), I do not smell or notice smog; so I don't understand the ranking; the only thing I can think of is maybe my mind, eyes and lungs are so damaged that I don't even notice it anymore.

Reference: https://www.lung.org/getmedia/17c6cb6c- ... a-2021.pdf
It looks like Southern California is only in the worst group for ozone, not for the other pollutants. Ozone is worse in sunny places, which explains a lot. San Diego is big county, and readings tend to be considerably worse at higher altitudes inland than they are down in the coastal areas. Also, some of the industrial areas that most Bogleheads would never consider living in have issues.
tj

Post by tj »

AquaBliss wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:27 pm I grew up in Yorba Linda but now live in Irvine, CA. Irvine is far superior to Yorba Linda in many ways IMO. Higher income earners here, more well behaved teenagers (no place is perfect but too many hoodlums in Yorba Linda for me), weather is considerably cooler, common area's are well manicured, food is better, schools are better.

If you visit Orange County at least check some neighborhoods and homes in South OC like Irvine, Aliso Viejo, Laguna Niguel - lots of great neighborhoods. I've been to San Diego (all sides) many times but not my cup of tea to live there - to each his own.

If you have any more questions about Yorba Linda let me know - as with anywhere, standard of living is probably very dependent upon your housing budget.
Hoodlums in Yorba Linda? Lol. I also grew up there and it famously had a bunch of churches and no movie theater. There's not much to do in YL. A lot of families. By no means is it an unsafe place. I graduated high school in 2004. How recently were you living there?
BernardShakey

Post by BernardShakey »

tj wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:12 pm
AquaBliss wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 7:27 pm I grew up in Yorba Linda but now live in Irvine, CA. Irvine is far superior to Yorba Linda in many ways IMO. Higher income earners here, more well behaved teenagers (no place is perfect but too many hoodlums in Yorba Linda for me), weather is considerably cooler, common area's are well manicured, food is better, schools are better.

Hoodlums in Yorba Linda? Lol. I also grew up there and it famously had a bunch of churches and no movie theater. There's not much to do in YL. A lot of families. By no means is it an unsafe place. I graduated high school in 2004. How recently were you living there?
+1. YL is a very nice bedroom community. Nothing gritty about it.
celia

Post by celia »

You should probably want to know more about the Santa Ana winds and how they fan the wildfires and how close both places are to the path of the winds (which carry toxic gases and soot towards the ocean). Even coastal cities are impacted then.
DNeal

Post by DNeal »

I moved to SoCal as a young adult. First I lived LA for three years and I have lived in San Diego for 41 years. I love San Diego County. Yes it has grown but where you are moving from in the Bay Area I am sure has grown more. Yes fires are more prevalent in SoCal then NorCal but don't move a few blocks from brush. I have lived in the San Carlos neighborhood of San Diego for 25 years. It's affordable compared to other parts of the city, crime rate is very low, schools are good, and there are recreational opportunities nearby. San Carlos borders the largest city park (wilderness) in the country. Great for hiking and mountain biking. San Carlos also borders Lake Murray reservoir which offers boating, fishing, and hiking. An interesting thing about San Carlos is that kids that grew here into adulthood make up a sizable portion of homeowners. San Carlos is 20 minutes to beaches and downtown. The mountains 30 to 45 minutes away. Desert is hour to an hour and a half away.

I may be bias but IMHO Orange County is suburban boring. San Diego County has far move to offer. Good luck with your move where ever you choose.
SR II

Post by SR II »

I lived my first 62 years in the LA area, with family in both coastal and inland Orange County and San Diego County. Nothing much to add except, for the most part (not counting mountain areas), the more inland you get the hotter the summers and colder the winters. Good luck with your So Cal location search.
Last edited by SR II on Sat Dec 11, 2021 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DNeal

Post by DNeal »

I don't know how much time you have spent in San Diego in general or San Carlos specifically but you are way off the mark. You didn't even know San Carlos was a neighborhood in San Diego so I am not sure how much you could know about it. It is not overbuilt, as it is mostly single family homes. There is a small rock quarry but that is not in the San Carlos neighborhood. Haven't seen any Fred Sanfords in my 25 years of living here and termites don't prefer this zip code or any other. Oceanside has one of the highest crime rates in San Diego County. Mission Valley is one neighborhood that is way over built and has a master plan to continue.
AquaBliss

Post by AquaBliss »

I graduated HS is 1994, 10 years before you. We had Cinemapolis theatre very close by for many years (La Palma and Imperial). There’s hoodlums everywhere and no place is perfect - and yes some do exist in YL. One of my middle school friends had her little brother chased down, run over and killed in the Yorba Linda lake bed. Very sad indeed, and to this day I don’t think they ever caught those low lives.

I also had my candy forcefully stolen more than once while trick or treating in YL. Ok maybe bullies more than hoodlums in that case, but my kids never had anything close to that happen to them trick or treating in Irvine.

Also was outside a liquor store that was held up (Orangethorpe and Kellogg), frightful experience. Yes it happens everywhere but I feel safer in Irvine than I did in Yorba Linda. Parents still live there and I visit often but wouldn’t move back.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

AquaBliss wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:39 pm

I graduated HS is 1994, 10 years before you. We had Cinemapolis theatre very close by for many years (La Palma and Imperial). There’s hoodlums everywhere and no place is perfect - and yes some do exist in YL. One of my middle school friends had her little brother chased down, run over and killed in the Yorba Linda lake bed. Very sad indeed, and to this day I don’t think they ever caught those low lives.

I also had my candy forcefully stolen more than once while trick or treating in YL. Ok maybe bullies more than hoodlums in that case, but my kids never had anything close to that happen to them trick or treating in Irvine.

Also was outside a liquor store that was held up (Orangethorpe and Kellogg), frightful experience. Yes it happens everywhere but I feel safer in Irvine than I did in Yorba Linda. Parents still live there and I visit often but wouldn’t move back.
Crime rates in the US peaked in the early 90’s, and have dropped significantly since then. Most of the country *is* actually a lot safer now than it was then. It’s not surprising that it feels like where you live now is safer than where you lived then. Frankly it feels like where I live now is a lot safer than where I lived then, too, even though I never moved.
tj

Post by tj »

AquaBliss wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 11:39 pm

It sounds like you lived in YL before a lot of the current developments even existed. We moved there in 94 or 95, and they had so many more developments after ours. Cinemapolis and the Orangethorpe/Kellogg intersection were/are in Anaheim.