Social Security Notice of Benefit

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
sport

Social Security Notice of Benefit

Post by sport »

Every year, about this time, I have received a notice from Social Security advising what my benefit will be for the coming year. So far, I have not received this notice. Have others received theirs?
UpperNwGuy

Re: Social Security Notice of Benefit

Post by UpperNwGuy »

sport wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:22 pm Every year, about this time, I have received a notice from Social Security advising what my benefit will be for the coming year. So far, I have not received this notice. Have others received theirs?
Just got mine a few days ago. It's later than prior years.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

sport wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:22 pm Every year, about this time, I have received a notice from Social Security advising what my benefit will be for the coming year. So far, I have not received this notice. Have others received theirs?
Do you have a social security account online? If yes, you can get the new benefit online. No need to wait for the slow USPS.
Topic Author
sport

Post by sport »

HueyLD wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:27 pm
Do you have a social security account online? If yes, you can get the new benefit online. No need to wait for the slow USPS.
Perhaps I should do that. :beer
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

I'm not eligible for social security benefits yet.
This past weekend I got an email telling me "Your New Social Security Statement is now available"
When I checked it, it didn't include anything that wasn't already in the statement I got in the spring. It was simply a new format that they are claiming is "streamlined." Unfortunately, "streamlined" seems to mean that it no longer includes the detail for all years of my prior earnings record, it includes recent years, but decades past were all lumped together. The information is still available for all years online, and in my prior statements, but annoyingly I can't easily reference it by just looking at my most recent statement (which I used to download each year and keep available until I archive all my tax records from the prior year.)
:annoyed
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Topic Author
sport

Post by sport »

sport wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:55 pm
HueyLD wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 8:27 pm
Perhaps I should do that. :beer
I started to sign up for an account. However, it stated that if I did so, I would no longer get the paper notice in the mail. I want to receive that, so I did not sign up. There is a method for requesting the paper notice, but I do not want to go through all that.
Topic Author
sport

Post by sport »

JoMoney wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:05 pm I'm not eligible for social security benefits yet.
This past weekend I got an email telling me "Your New Social Security Statement is now available"
When I checked it, it didn't include anything that wasn't already in the statement I got in the spring. It was simply a new format that they are claiming is "streamlined." Unfortunately, "streamlined" seems to mean that it no longer includes the detail for all years of my prior earnings record, it includes recent years, but decades past were all lumped together. The information is still available for all years online, and in my prior statements, but annoyingly I can't easily reference it by just looking at my most recent statement (which I used to download each year and keep available until I archive all my tax records from the prior year.)
:annoyed
That is a different document. Once you start receiving benefits, they send you a notice each year stating what your benefit will be. This notice can be used if you need to prove your income.
Topic Author
sport

Post by sport »

Has anyone else received their notice in the mail, or are most people still waiting for it?
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

A friend got it online and then in the mail, both in November.
Stumptowngal

Post by Stumptowngal »

A week ago we got e-mail notices saying our next year’s benefit information was available through our online social security accounts we set up a few years ago. It was easy to access and I printed out a copy since it said they were going paperless for people with online accounts. I will be curious to see if I do receive something snail mail.
Monster99

Post by Monster99 »

I think if you have the online account, the default is paperless - didn't even get a 1099 last year for the DW and had to have her log on and download from her account..... not really that much of a hassle....
InNameOnly

Post by InNameOnly »

Received an email today to check my messages at SSA.
Logged in to find out I'm getting a 5.9% increase.
My wife said the reason I got such a big raise is I excel at doing nothing all day.:happy
The realist sees the glass as completely full, 50% water and 50% air.
chris319

Post by chris319 »

My notice from SS says I get a 5.9% increase in my benefit for 2022, but after Medicare premiums and IRMAA the net increase is 0.87% or $24.20, way below inflation.

I'm happy to report that my portfolio is up more than 0.87% by a lot.
Financial decisions based on emotion often turn out to be bad decisions.
Nowizard

Post by Nowizard »

I have an on-line account and have received the notice. My spouse has no account and has not received a notice yet.

Tim
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

sport wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 9:09 pmI started to sign up for an account. However, it stated that if I did so, I would no longer get the paper notice in the mail. I want to receive that, so I did not sign up. There is a method for requesting the paper notice, but I do not want to go through all that.
The statement you can download from your mySSA account on-line is identical to the one you would get in the mail. With the on-line account you can download your statement every day or multiple times per day if you want.

Perhaps the best reason to set up a mySSA account is to keep someone else from doing so in your name.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

BolderBoy wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:39 pm Perhaps the best reason to set up a mySSA account is to keep someone else from doing so in your name.

Yes indeed!