IRS says I have not filed a return

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
pshonore

IRS says I have not filed a return

Post by pshonore »

I efiled my MFJ return on 4/15. TT says it was accepted on 4/16. Still no refund for a fairly simple return - pension and and SS income, some dividends, standard deduction, etc. Where's my Refunds says "Your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available."

I decided to check the IRS Transcript site. That tells me I did not file a return for Tax Year 2020. Does that really mean they're still working on it? I also took a look at the wage and income transcript which appears to contain all the pension, SS data etc. for me but none for spouse.
Asyouwish

Re: IRS says I have not filed a return

Post by Asyouwish »

The wage and income transcript is per taxpayer individual SSN. So your spouse needs an IRS account under his/her SSN and go pull their own transcripts.

Yes if the return is unprocessed, that’s what the transcript says. The return does not “post” to the account transcript until fully processed. If the IRS is still working on it, or it is sitting in a queue waiting for an employee to review it, it won’t show up yet on the transcript.

When you efile, it gets a cursory look by the computer to make sure names and SSN’s are correct. That is all. It then goes through validity checks, and more detailed reviews before final approval and processing. This year a lot of mistakes were made on the recovery rebate credit (stimulus) causing millions more returns to need employee manual review.

You can try contacting your local representative and see if they can intervene with the IRS on your behalf. Otherwise you are just stuck waiting for the backlog to work out.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Did you review this site?
https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-operat ... s-continue
We have processed all error free refund returns received prior to April 2021 and continue to work the returns that need to be manually reviewed due to errors.
So they are still working on returns received in April 2021 (and on returns with errors).
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

pshonore wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:03 am I efiled my MFJ return on 4/15. TT says it was accepted on 4/16. Still no refund for a fairly simple return - pension and and SS income, some dividends, standard deduction, etc. Where's my Refunds says "Your tax return is still being processed. A refund date will be provided when available."

I decided to check the IRS Transcript site. That tells me I did not file a return for Tax Year 2020. Does that really mean they're still working on it? I also took a look at the wage and income transcript which appears to contain all the pension, SS data etc. for me but none for spouse.
The return has been received and is being processed. You can tell that by the message the “Where’s my refund site” is giving you. Try entering a different dollar amount (any amount) on that site. It will give a different message. So they clearly have your return if they recognize the refund amount you inquired about originally.

We’re still waiting on my mother’s refund from a February paper filing. We got a letter from them adjusting the refund amount upward in August and saying to expect payment in 4-6 weeks. We are still waiting and their website says “still in process”. And her transcript shows the updated refund amount and the return. They just haven’t processed the refund. It’s a mess.
Asyouwish

Post by Asyouwish »

And her transcript shows the updated refund amount and the return

On the transcript look for a code 570. If there is one, that means the refund is still on hold. She should call. An employee may need to manually release the hold.
Topic Author
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

UPDATE: Thanks for the responses. I think I have found the problem with my refund. Looking at the transcript (at least what there is of it), It appears I made an estimated payment in July of 2020 and forgot to include it my return. In the old days, the IRS would have just increased my refund. I guess its still sitting in a queue somewhere waiting for review and correction.
PaunchyPirate

Post by PaunchyPirate »

Currently, it seems that any irregularity grinds their internal processes to a halt. This morning, I called the IRS (waited on hold for 20 minutes, so not bad) to ask about my Mom's refund. We had received a letter in August indicating they had adjusted her refund upward due to a miscalculation on our part and to expect payment in 4-6 weeks. The agent says her Account is "on hold" for some reason. When I asked why, she told me the only info available to her is too complicated for a non-employee to understand. :annoyed She submitted a request to the person who is responsible for the hold to act on it. That person has 30 days. If we don't see the refund in 30 days, call again. What a hot mess they are.