SS Restricted Application - Final Steps

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
dowse

SS Restricted Application - Final Steps

Post by dowse »

The time has come for me to execute the final steps in the SS claiming strategy for DW and myself. Per the strategy, I am currently collecting a spousal benefit and DW is collecting her own. Now I am ready to claim my own benefit and switch DW to a spousal benefit 4 months hence. My question is whether I should make my claim first and allow SS to process it before my file files for her spousal. Or, if both are submitted simultaneously, does SS know about both and process both properly? Appreciate any advice from those who have already done this.
Topic Author
dowse

Re: Restricted Social Security Application

Post by dowse »

[Thread merged into here --admin LadyGeek]

Posted as a new topic, but no response. Hoping for better visibility here.

The time has come for me to execute the final steps in the SS claiming strategy for DW and myself. Per the strategy, I am currently collecting a spousal benefit and DW is collecting her own. Now I am ready to claim my own benefit and switch DW to a spousal benefit 4 months hence. My question is whether I should make my claim first and allow SS to process it before my DW files for her spousal. Or, if both are submitted simultaneously, does SS know about both and process both properly? Appreciate any advice from those who have already done this.
Last edited by dowse on Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor »

dowse wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:26 am Posted as a new topic, but no response. Hoping for better visibility here.

The time has come for me to execute the final steps in the SS claiming strategy for DW and myself. Per the strategy, I am currently collecting a spousal benefit and DW is collecting her own. Now I am ready to claim my own benefit and switch DW to a spousal benefit 4 months hence. My question is whether I should make my claim first and allow SS to process it before my file files for her spousal. Or, if both are submitted simultaneously, does SS know about both and process both properly? Appreciate any advice from those who have already done this.
I have heard from plenty of people who made both applications on the same day without any problems. (That said, when problems with filing do occur, they seem to occur somewhat at random, because they're just the result of a human being a human and making a mistake. So I cannot make any promises.)
Mike Piper | Roth is a name, not an acronym. If you type ROTH, you're just yelling about retirement accounts.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

She should start it online NOW, We did it all over the phone after filling out the request for benefits last Dec. Her full spousal benefit started at her 66th birthday, so she does not seem to be losing too much. The SS rep called us and we did not even have to provide marriage license - guess she was convinced. Great that you found this for them.
David Jay

Re: SS Restricted Application - Final Steps

Post by David Jay »

I see that over 100 people have looked at your post, so we are not ignoring you.

The problem is that restricted applications can only be used by those born in 1953 or earlier, so most of us young-uns (1957 here) don’t know the details of the process. Hopefully a “bump” on the weekend will get replies.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
Topic Author
dowse

Post by dowse »

David Jay wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:36 am I see that over 100 people have looked at your post, so we are not ignoring you.

The problem is that restricted applications can only be used by those born in 1953 or earlier, so most of us young-uns (1957 here) don’t know the details of the process. Hopefully a “bump” on the weekend will get replies.
Yes, I get it. There are a few old-timers like us ('52/'48) who are able to benefit. Thanks for the bump, but I already bumped another similar thread with my question. To my surprise and delight, I received a quick reply from none other than expert Mike Piper himself!
David Jay

Post by David Jay »

dowse wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:07 pm
David Jay wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:36 am I see that over 100 people have looked at your post, so we are not ignoring you.

Yes, I get it. There are a few old-timers like us ('52/'48) who are able to benefit. Thanks for the bump, but I already bumped another similar thread with my question. To my surprise and delight, I received a quick reply from none other than expert Mike Piper himself!
He’s definitely “the man”.
It's not an engineering problem - Hersh Shefrin | To get the "risk premium", you really do have to take the risk - nisiprius
Leif

Post by Leif »

dowse wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:07 pm Yes, I get it. There are a few old-timers like us ('52/'48) who are able to benefit. Thanks for the bump, but I already bumped another similar thread with my question. To my surprise and delight, I received a quick reply from none other than expert Mike Piper himself!
Too bad Mike (Oblivious Investor) did not make a public post. I would also like to know the answer.
Chip Munk

Post by Chip Munk »

Leif wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:59 pm
dowse wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:07 pm Yes, I get it. There are a few old-timers like us ('52/'48) who are able to benefit. Thanks for the bump, but I already bumped another similar thread with my question. To my surprise and delight, I received a quick reply from none other than expert Mike Piper himself!
Too bad Mike (Oblivious Investor) did not make a public post. I would also like to know the answer.
You can see the OP's question and Mike Piper's response here: viewtopic.php?p=6364316#p6364316
Leif

Post by Leif »

Chip Munk wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:39 pm
Leif wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 12:59 pm
You can see the OP's question and Mike Piper's response here: viewtopic.php?p=6364316#p6364316
Cool, thanks.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged dowse's update back into the original thread. The software sorts by time. Mike Piper's response is in the 3rd post.

(Thanks to the member who reported the post and provided a link to this thread.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
dowse

Post by dowse »

ObliviousInvestor wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:45 am
dowse wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:26 am Posted as a new topic, but no response. Hoping for better visibility here.

I have heard from plenty of people who made both applications on the same day without any problems. (That said, when problems with filing do occur, they seem to occur somewhat at random, because they're just the result of a human being a human and making a mistake. So I cannot make any promises.)
The ssa.gov site is not allowing DW to start an application. It throws an error saying the the inputs don't match what is on file. I'm wondering if the reason is that she is already receiving her retirement benefit, and I am receiving a spousal benefit. In doing some further reading here, it seems like due to deemed filing rules, as soon as I file for my retirement benefit, she is automatically deemed to have filed for her spousal. So, maybe it's all automatic and all I need to do is file for my own benefit and her (higher) spousal benefit will be applied automatically. Hope someone can clarify this.
ABS

Post by ABS »

OP, I will be in the same situation as you next year. I am currently receiving spousal benefits based on my wife's earning record and she is receiving benefits based on her earnings history, When I turn 70 next year I will switch to my earnings record and she will claim spousal benefits. Were you able to accomplish this online? Any insight you or any other member of the Bogleheads community can provide is appreciated.
Chip

Post by Chip »

dowse wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:26 pm The ssa.gov site is not allowing DW to start an application. It throws an error saying the the inputs don't match what is on file. I'm wondering if the reason is that she is already receiving her retirement benefit, and I am receiving a spousal benefit. In doing some further reading here, it seems like due to deemed filing rules, as soon as I file for my retirement benefit, she is automatically deemed to have filed for her spousal. So, maybe it's all automatic and all I need to do is file for my own benefit and her (higher) spousal benefit will be applied automatically. Hope someone can clarify this.
dowse, did you ever resolve this? I am seeing the same error for the same situation.
Chip

Post by Chip »

So my situation was resolved today via a call from Social Security, which they initiated. They wanted to confirm information on the application that had been submitted in early January. The SS rep also knew that a second application was required for the second spouse to apply for a spousal benefit and was prepared to do that over the phone.

After confirming that it was really SSA by asking them some questions about specific unique information in the submitted application my wife and I completed the process of confirming the info on the already submitted application and then confirming the info for the new spousal application. Their numbers for the two new benefits matched mine exactly.

A check of the mySSA account shows that the new spousal benefit application is in process.

Assuming everything goes as expected we should get written confirmation of the new benefit amounts a few weeks before the first payments.
Topic Author
dowse

Post by dowse »

Chip wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:28 am
dowse wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 5:26 pm The ssa.gov site is not allowing DW to start an application. It throws an error saying the the inputs don't match what is on file. I'm wondering if the reason is that she is already receiving her retirement benefit, and I am receiving a spousal benefit. In doing some further reading here, it seems like due to deemed filing rules, as soon as I file for my retirement benefit, she is automatically deemed to have filed for her spousal. So, maybe it's all automatic and all I need to do is file for my own benefit and her (higher) spousal benefit will be applied automatically. Hope someone can clarify this.
dowse, did you ever resolve this? I am seeing the same error for the same situation.
I finally have enough info to answer this. We ended up calling our local SS office. According to them, a spousal benefit can't be done online. I thought I had done that myself 4 years ago, but we just went ahead and scheduled a phone appointment with the local office. They are only doing in-person appointments for certain emergencies, which this is not. The first available appointment was about 6 weeks out. At the time of that call, my application had still not been processed, which meant that her spousal application could not be processed. So we scheduled another appointment, which will happen in a couple of weeks. That should work fine, as my application has now been approved. She will have to make it effective retroactively by one month. In the end it will all work out, but it has been somewhat of a confusing process. Slightly different info from each contact with SS. My experience seems to be different from others. I guess their process has evolved by necessity due to Covid restrictions and staffing issues.
Topic Author
dowse

Post by dowse »

So let me sum up how the process seems to work today, at least in my experience.

Regardless of how far in advance you apply, your application will not be approved until the first week of the month for which you requested your benefit to start.

Once your application is received and showing as being in the first step when you log in to your My Social Security account, the message saying that applications take 2-4 weeks to process is meaningless.

Your spouse cannot file for a spousal benefit online.

Your spouse cannot file for a spousal benefit until your application has been approved and recognized by their system.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if someone else were to report a different experience, but this was my experience.