2022 social security benefits now available at My Social Security

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
heartwood

2022 social security benefits now available at My Social Security

Post by heartwood »

a PSA:

2022 social security benefit letters are now available on the My Social Security webpage.

https://www.ssa.gov/myaccount/
Silk McCue

Re: 2022 social security benefits now available at My Social Security

Post by Silk McCue »

Thanks for sharing. Just logged into to see the updated estimates to feed into our spreadsheets.

They’ve made significant changes to the format of the printable/downloadable reports.

Cheers
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Mine came in the mail last week.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

They also posted an update to the Anypia software a couple days ago, for folks who want to do their own calculations.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

Thanks for sharing. :moneybag
wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds »

about 6% jump?
Silk McCue

Post by Silk McCue »

wrongfunds wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:42 pm about 6% jump?
The years SS COLA is 5.9%.

Cheers
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I wondered if ssa.tools had the update but apparently not yet.
egrets

Post by egrets »

heartwood wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 8:57 am a PSA:

2022 social security benefit letters are now available on the My Social Security webpage.

I'm logged in and grubbing around, but I don't see it...
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

:confused They don't wait to include my earnings for the entire tax year?
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Silk McCue wrote: Thu Dec 02, 2021 6:50 pm

Cheers
And that’s all before the Medicare increases.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
Topic Author
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

egrets wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:20 am

Mine was in the upper right under "messages" in a posting "Your 2022 Social Security Cost of Living Increase".

It's an online copy of the usual December (Nov?) mailing. SS now allows you to see, print and save it online.I've saved mine in a folder "COLA letters".

That messages tab may be the only place it shows online. Last year I wanted a copy of the mailed COLA letter, could not find it, called SS twice ( I didn't believe the first person) and was told they don't issue replacement copies of the mailed COLA letter. So it shouldbe either in the USPS to you, or in the messages link, or both.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Stinky wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:54 am

Cheers
I caught a break this year. The dividend and interest cuts in 2020 pushed me down a layer in the IRMAA brackets for 2022.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Cheers
The way Medicare premiums are assessed is so crazy. Some folks pay thru the nose due to multi-layers of IRMAA. And some other folks pay almost nothing due to the hold harmless clause. I have no idea that high income folks consume so much more medical care than low income folks. :annoyed
egrets

Post by egrets »

HueyLD wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:05 am

Cheers
The way Medicare premiums are assessed is so crazy. Some folks pay thru the nose due to multi-layers of IRMAA. And some other folks pay almost nothing due to the hold harmless clause. I have no idea that high income folks consume so much more medical care than low income folks. :annoyed
I have no problem paying more if I have a higher income. I don't want lower income people living under a bridge or not being able to afford medical care.
egrets

Post by egrets »

heartwood wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:56 am
egrets wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:20 am

Mine was in the upper right under "messages" in a posting "Your 2022 Social Security Cost of Living Increase".

It's an online copy of the usual December (Nov?) mailing. SS now allows you to see, print and save it online.I've saved mine in a folder "COLA letters".

That messages tab may be the only place it shows online. Last year I wanted a copy of the mailed COLA letter, could not find it, called SS twice ( I didn't believe the first person) and was told they don't issue replacement copies of the mailed COLA letter. So it shouldbe either in the USPS to you, or in the messages link, or both.
I found it, thanks.
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

egrets wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:40 am

Cheers
I have no problem paying more if I have a higher income. I don't want lower income people living under a bridge or not being able to afford medical care.
Not living under a bridge, yet. Per SSA.gov I'll net $3/month net benefit increase after the medicare premium bump. First net increase since filing a restricted application a few years ago. I've been the beneficiary of the hold harmless clause. Your benefit would have to be incredibly low as well as having been taking SS for a long time for folks to be paying almost nothing for Medicare. I was unable to readily find the year the hold harmless provision kicked in but assuming it has been in place since 1990 and a 65 year old that retired at that time with a $100 benefit and a $74 Part B expense ($26 net) would be looking at a 2022 benefit of $218 and a Part B expense of about $132 for a net of about $85. It does appear that if your benefit since that time was about $50 it would have been consumed by the Part B expense over the years which would exceed $100 in 2022.

https://www.thebalance.com/current-and- ... ms-2388483
https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/statcom ... 2b-2c.html
https://www.ssa.gov/pressoffice/automatic-cola.htm
egrets

Post by egrets »

Carl53 wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 10:31 am
egrets wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:40 am

Cheers
Not living under a bridge, yet. Per SSA.gov I'll net $3/month net benefit increase after the medicare premium bump. First net increase since filing a restricted application a few years ago. I've been the beneficiary of the hold harmless clause. Your benefit would have to be incredibly low as well as having been taking SS for a long time for folks to be paying almost nothing for Medicare. I was unable to readily find the year the hold harmless provision kicked in but assuming it has been in place since 1990 and a 65 year old that retired at that time with a $100 benefit and a $74 Part B expense ($26 net) would be looking at a 2022 benefit of $218 and a Part B expense of about $132 for a net of about $85. It does appear that if your benefit since that time was about $50 it would have been consumed by the Part B expense over the years which would exceed $100 in 2022.

https://www.thebalance.com/current-and- ... ms-2388483
https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/statcom ... 2b-2c.html
https://www.ssa.gov/pressoffice/automatic-cola.htm
I think you have me (egrets) confused with the person who was criticizing hold harmless.
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

JoMoney wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:31 am :confused They don't wait to include my earnings for the entire tax year?
COLA adjustments are determined each fall for the following year, so statements get updated shortly after that. Obviously they can't include this year's earnings yet - for that you'll have to wait until next spring.
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

JoMoney wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 7:31 am :confused They don't wait to include my earnings for the entire tax year?
Are you afraid the extra money will burn a hole in your pocket if you have not pre-spent it? :happy
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

Eagle33 wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 2:23 pm
Are you afraid the extra money will burn a hole in your pocket if you have not pre-spent it? :happy
I think I was confused as to what this announcement was. I'm not SS eligible yet. I thought this was the annual statement telling me what I've earned/contributed so far.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Gryphon

Post by Gryphon »

JoMoney wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 7:35 pm I think I was confused as to what this announcement was. I'm not SS eligible yet. I thought this was the annual statement telling me what I've earned/contributed so far.
Your SS statement tells you two things - your earnings history, and what your SS benefit is estimated to be. Those two things get updated every year but at different times. The latter is what just changed.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Cheers
has little/nothing to do with benefit use, its a way to means-test Medicare: higher income folks pay more for it.
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

Big Dog wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 10:42 pm
HueyLD wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:05 am The way Medicare premiums are assessed is so crazy. Some folks pay thru the nose due to multi-layers of IRMAA. And some other folks pay almost nothing due to the hold harmless clause. I have no idea that high income folks consume so much more medical care than low income folks. :annoyed
has little/nothing to do with benefit use, its a way to means-test Medicare: higher income folks pay more for it.
I guess this is just one of those first world problems of the higher income folks.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

Cheers
High income people actually do consume more medical care than low income folks. So they have availed themselves of preventative medical care as well as necessary medical treatments through the years, which is why their mortality rates are lower than those with low incomes.

Regarding IRMAA, it's part of the system in the United States. We have progressive income taxes, and progressive Medicare premiums.

I currently pay insurance premiums of more than $20,000 a year. Even the highest IRMAA tier will be a lower cost for me. I have three more years before Medicare.

I am subsidizing some very wealthy people who are living out of taxable savings accounts in order to pay very low ACA health insurance premiums. I would do the same if I could.

It is what it is.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Eagle33 wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:47 pm
HueyLD wrote: Fri Dec 03, 2021 8:05 am The way Medicare premiums are assessed is so crazy. Some folks pay thru the nose due to multi-layers of IRMAA. And some other folks pay almost nothing due to the hold harmless clause. I have no idea that high income folks consume so much more medical care than low income folks. :annoyed
I guess this is just one of those first world problems of the higher income folks.
Not really, since the increases in absolute dollars top out at only a moderately high (by Boglehead standards) level of income. It would make more sense to use percentages like tax brackets if the objective was for higher income earners to pay more. So it's by no means similar to problem that high income earners have with tax rates.
theac

Post by theac »

WOW I really like the new updated format on the SS Website! :thumbsup

I was last on it in June and it was still the old style at the time.

P.S. I wasn't able to find the 2022 social security benefit letter mentioned above.
Checked in my Messages folder and no new messages since June.
Maybe it will show up in a few days?
"We keep you alive to serve this ship. Row well...and live." Ben Hur...and The Taxman! hahaha (a George Harrison song)
Topic Author
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

theac wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:18 pm WOW I really like the new updated format on the SS Website! :thumbsup

I was last on it in June and it was still the old style at the time.

P.S. I wasn't able to find the 2022 social security benefit letter mentioned above.
Checked in my Messages folder and no new messages since June.
Maybe it will show up in a few days?
My original was dated 11/25/21, found in my Messages.

Curiously I got an email just this morning that I had a message in my inbox. It's the same message but now dated 12/6/21 (yesterday). Same notice (can't find a date on the actual notice, but the BNC# in upper right is the same. The payments, WH, etc are the same.
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

tibbitts wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 7:04 pm
Not really, since the increases in absolute dollars top out at only a moderately high (by Boglehead standards) level of income. It would make more sense to use percentages like tax brackets if the objective was for higher income earners to pay more. So it's by no means similar to problem that high income earners have with tax rates.
By a "first world problem" I was using it to mean a relatively trivial or minor problem or frustration (implying a contrast with serious problems such as those that may be experienced in the developing (3rd) world). As you pointed out it could be worse.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Eagle33 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:51 pm
By a "first world problem" I was using it to mean a relatively trivial or minor problem or frustration (implying a contrast with serious problems such as those that may be experienced in the developing (3rd) world). As you pointed out it could be worse.
I guess I'm missing something but it seems inconsistent that there is no cap on medicare taxes, being a flat rate (percentage) for everyone as far as I know, yet there is a cap on IRMAA.
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

tibbitts wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 5:26 pm
Eagle33 wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 4:51 pm

I guess I'm missing something but it seems inconsistent that there is no cap on medicare taxes, being a flat rate (percentage) for everyone as far as I know, yet there is a cap on IRMAA.
Who says what Congress does is consistent? :annoyed