Cash flow [resources for budgeting]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
mw82

Cash flow [resources for budgeting]

Post by mw82 »

I need help with vey basic cash flow/budgeting. Can you recommend a good book/resource?
Thank you.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Re: Cash flow

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
Silk McCue

Re: Cash flow

Post by Silk McCue »

Start with our Household Budgeting Wiki.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Household_budgeting

Cheers
AlohaJoe

Re: Cash flow [resources for budgeting]

Post by AlohaJoe »

mw82 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:59 pm I need help with vey basic cash flow/budgeting. Can you recommend a good book/resource?
Thank you.
A lot of people getting started with budgeting have a lot of success with the "envelope budgeting" approach. YouNeedABudget is a nice piece of software that is targeted at people initially trying to get their cashflow/budgeting under control. You can try it for 34 days for free and decide if it is worth it to you.

One nice thing is they have a lot of tutorials & videos to help explain various real world scenarios. They have pages on "having a baby", "budgeting with kids", separating finances after a breakup/divorce, and so on.

https://www.youneedabudget.com/
Topic Author
mw82

Post by mw82 »

Thank you very much everyone.
mc126

Post by mc126 »

AlohaJoe wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:59 pm
mw82 wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:59 pm I need help with vey basic cash flow/budgeting. Can you recommend a good book/resource?
Thank you.
A lot of people getting started with budgeting have a lot of success with the "envelope budgeting" approach. YouNeedABudget is a nice piece of software that is targeted at people initially trying to get their cashflow/budgeting under control. You can try it for 34 days for free and decide if it is worth it to you.

One nice thing is they have a lot of tutorials & videos to help explain various real world scenarios. They have pages on "having a baby", "budgeting with kids", separating finances after a breakup/divorce, and so on.

https://www.youneedabudget.com/
I love YNAB. The videos are great, but there is a significant learning curve when you start out. You can also contact them to have someone help you when you are setting things up/figuring things out. They will often extend the free trial for you if you need an extra month to try it out.

I've used it for about 6 years and don't know what I did beforehand. It definitely puts you in control of knowing and deciding where your money goes.