Are RSU Grants in PA Taxed After Move?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
kartoffelpuffer

Are RSU Grants in PA Taxed After Move?

Post by kartoffelpuffer »

Our company is going primarily remote, so I'm planning to relocate from Pennsylvania back home to Tennessee. I'm curious what my tax liability will become with respect to PA state and local taxes with restricted stock units that were granted in PA but vesting in TN. I know many states, including CA and NY, tax folks who moved in between the grant and vesting dates based on the relative time spent in different states, but I have found essentially nothing on this topic for PA. Does anyone have direct experience moving out of PA with vesting RSUs?

Specifically:
1. Does PA tax RSUs that were granted in PA and vested out of state?
2. Do PA localities tax RSU vests out of state? I read for instance that NY state taxes out of state vests, but NYC does not. This seems to get even trickier considering the two sets of local taxes that apply based on resident and working political subdivision codes in PA.
3. Does the PA department of revenue refer to restricted stock units by some other term that I should be searching for?

I'll probably hire an accountant to sort this out, but I'd be curious if anyone has experience with PA, RSUs, and moving out of state.