IRMAA Appeal

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
jim779

IRMAA Appeal

Post by jim779 »

My Dad has a high amount to Pay for his part B and part D Medicare for next year.

His amounts were based on his income when my Mom was still alive. My dad is now single since my Mom died and his income is way less.

Would he be able to appeal based on that?

Thanks

Jim
HueyLD

Re: IRMAA Appeal

Post by HueyLD »

Fill out form SSA-44 and check the box “Death of Your Spouse.”

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-44-ext.pdf
clip651

Post by clip651 »

Keep in mind the brackets for singles are lower. Take a look at the tables to see where his income will fall.
Topic Author
jim779

Post by jim779 »

HueyLD wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 1:42 am Fill out form SSA-44 and check the box “Death of Your Spouse.”

https://www.ssa.gov/forms/ssa-44-ext.pdf
Thanks HueyLD and clip651

I noticed in the form that it says check ONE life changing event on page 2. If you had more than one event you are supposed to call in. My Dad lost his wife and his job ended...he retired. So I don't know if he should still fill out the form or not?

His income is WAY less than it was when he was still working and his wife was still alive.
Retired 2017

Post by Retired 2017 »

My experience with an appeal was dreadful. I retired and experienced a 60% reduction in income. I filed the form, and got no response. I subsequently called SS. I then refiled the form and again got no response. After about 3 months I visited the ss office. I still saw no action. More phone calls and visits to the distant SS office without success. With each phone call and visit, I was given the reassurance that all would go well. Well, it didn't. Finally I asked for the help of my congressman. I provided him with all the paperwork and records of who I had spoken with and when. 5 months later my account was reconciled. It took over a year! My experience antedated Covid. Good Luck helping your father..
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

jim779 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:18 am Thanks HueyLD and clip651

I noticed in the form that it says check ONE life changing event on page 2. If you had more than one event you are supposed to call in. My Dad lost his wife and his job ended...he retired. So I don't know if he should still fill out the form or not?

His income is WAY less than it was when he was still working and his wife was still alive.
I think he needs to call them.

His reduction in income because he is not working should get him the waiver. But they also need to know he is now single so they know which chart to use (single or MFJ) when he tells them his expected income now.
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

Before COVID, when I retired and my income dropped, I took my termination letter to the SS office in person, they filled out the form for me, and it was handled within a couple of months. The next year, we got another letter saying we owed IRMAA, and I just filled out the same form myself and sent it in.

No idea how Social Security handles things now, but this should be possible to accomplish.
RetiredAL

Post by RetiredAL »

clip651 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:42 am Keep in mind the brackets for singles are lower. Take a look at the tables to see where his income will fall.
+1

When my Mom was still alive, my parents were IRMAA-0. After Mom passed, my Dad, as single, is stuck in IRMAA-2.
Topic Author
jim779

Post by jim779 »

Retired 2017 wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:06 am My experience with an appeal was dreadful. I retired and experienced a 60% reduction in income. I filed the form, and got no response. I subsequently called SS. I then refiled the form and again got no response. After about 3 months I visited the ss office. I still saw no action. More phone calls and visits to the distant SS office without success. With each phone call and visit, I was given the reassurance that all would go well. Well, it didn't. Finally I asked for the help of my congressman. I provided him with all the paperwork and records of who I had spoken with and when. 5 months later my account was reconciled. It took over a year! My experience antedated Covid. Good Luck helping your father..
Thanks for the great replies everyone!

Retired 2017 You are not the only one who has has a dreadful experience dealing with SS I can tell you that for sure!
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

My experience with the appeal due to divorce was smooth as silk, so I guess ymmv.