Travel insurance company recommendations

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Timeandmoney

Travel insurance company recommendations

Post by Timeandmoney »

We (2 adults, 2 teens) are traveling to Mexico next month....our first international trip in about a decade. I'm worried about catching COVID there (even though we are all vaccinated) and having to pay to quarantine for X days. Would you recommend travel insurance, and if so which company is most reputable?

Any other tips?

Thanks!
LifeIsGood

Re: Travel insurance company recommendations

Post by LifeIsGood »

I'd be willing to bet many others besides myself will recommend The Trip Insurance Store - https://tripinsurancestore.com/
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

LifeIsGood wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 6:20 am I'd be willing to bet many others besides myself will recommend The Trip Insurance Store - https://tripinsurancestore.com/
Joining the parade...

We basically learned about travel insurance details from TIS.
CALL them, don't just read the online summaries. There are too many details, some very important for some people, to fit into thos summaries. If you call, they'll try to find out what your needs are (pre-existing medical condition, frail/ill family member staying home, etc.)

The best choice of coverages is usually available during the 10=20 days immediately after FIRST payment (refundable or not), but one only needs initially to insure that deposit, not the expected total. That won't be relevant for some, but might be deal breakers for others, etc.

Obviously, ask specifically about the Covid coverage concerns.

Enjoy your trip!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
psy1

Post by psy1 »

We always get travel insurance for international trips. Beware that travel insurance usually covers COVID expenses if you contract COVID but not other COVID related inconveniences. Read the fine print.

We use World Nomads.
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

Mexico you say?

You might also want to look into life insurance and kidnap insurance. :D
flyingaway

Post by flyingaway »

Pacific wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:10 pm Mexico you say?

Going to Mexico next month.
Will the kidnap insurance pay for one's ransom?
StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 »

I had a good experience with a Travelex policy underwritten by Berkshire Hathaway Ins.

Long story short, had to cancel a trip 2 days prior to departure due to an unexpected recommendation from my daughters PCP. 100% of expenses reimbursed for three people that canceled.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.
orlandoman

Post by orlandoman »

Two of the biggest multi-company brokers:
www.TripInsuranceStore.com - highly recomend, the only one I use, Steve (owner) & staff are great to work with
www.SquareMouth.com
"Borrow money from pessimists -- they don't expect it back"
NYCaviator

Post by NYCaviator »

I have always used GeoBlue by Blue Cross Blue Shield when we travel overseas, even to third world / exotic locales. It is inexpensive, comprehensive medical coverage. We've never purchased other travel insurance (cancellation, delay, lost baggage, etc.) because it never seemed worth it compared to the cost. I've also read a lot about people who tried to file claims but were denied because of various exclusions. This is especially true with COVID... read the fine print carefully.
Mapmaker

Post by Mapmaker »

I have annual GeoBlue and MedJet Assist policies, and in my experience Chase Sapphire Preferred card will cover the regular cancellation, delay, luggage stuff.
Pacific

Post by Pacific »

flyingaway wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 8:07 pm
Pacific wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:10 pm Mexico you say?

Going to Mexico next month.
Will the kidnap insurance pay for one's ransom?
I do not know the answer so you may want to ask the company about the ransom for Red Chief. :D
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Mapmaker wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:15 am I have annual GeoBlue and MedJet Assist policies, and in my experience Chase Sapphire Preferred card will cover the regular cancellation, delay, luggage stuff.
We also have MedJetAssist (we'll renew it again when we start traveling again, anyway), but get per-trip regular insurance for anything overseas.
I'm not sure how well Chase Sapphire Preferred, which is one of the better charge cards with some travel insurance, covers anything related to pre-existing medical conditions. For many, that won't matter, but it does for us.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
ModifiedDuration

Post by ModifiedDuration »

Mapmaker wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 3:15 am I have annual GeoBlue and MedJet Assist policies, and in my experience Chase Sapphire Preferred card will cover the regular cancellation, delay, luggage stuff.
We also have an annual GeoBlue through Steve (who is very helpful) at the Trip Insurance Store, as well as a 5-year MedJet Assist policy (it is worth joining AARP just to get the AARP discount).
orlandoman

Post by orlandoman »

Here's an interesting article just published yesterday that gives a good overview of how one credit card with only a $95 fee can offer many travel benefits. I am not suggesting that it should replace traditional trip insurance, but can be a good compliment to it. The Chase Sapphire Preferred is one of the cards I use & recommend to others, specifically if they are looking for travel benefits.

"The Chase Sapphire Preferred card's travel insurance has saved me over $4,000 — here's why I'll never cancel it"
https://www.businessinsider.com/persona ... ey-2021-11
"Borrow money from pessimists -- they don't expect it back"