Retirement home, back to the drawing board.

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Bbddl

Retirement home, back to the drawing board.

Post by Bbddl »

Retirement is 18 months away, looking to move away from a high cost of living area in New York. Kids will be out of the house, one in college and the other starting her career after grad school.
Online research combined with real estate recommendations has us searching active retirement communities with an HOA.
We like the Carolinas and have been down here in the Raleigh and Charlotte areas for a few days.
We are not fond of the cookie cutter, same lot size, everything seems the same types of communities that we have been visiting. I will be 62 in retirement and my wife 53. I am a very young 61 right now and we are finding that these communities just seem way too old for us now.
So it’s back to the drawing board for us, we may be looking at a home in a gated community with a community center and amenities.
Any suggestions for such a place in the Raleigh, Charlotte or other areas in the Carolinas?
Although our net worth is slightly above three mill, we do not want $1 million plus house. We feel a price range between 400-600 K is what we’re looking for. We prefer to keep assets invested for a continued growth.