Master’s Degree and Sunk Cost Fallacy [Edit: Resolved]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Cruise

Re: Master’s Degree and Sunk Cost Fallacy

Post by Cruise »

OP:

Regarding your question of whether it is worth your time and money to retake the class: The question should actually be "Is it worth my time to attempt to rectify the situation?"

You have not provided sufficient detail for us to understand what is needed to rectify the situation, and therefor what costs might be necessary:

Why you got a failing grade is the most important question, for it helps to generate response alternatives needed to rectify the situation. Were you a jerk to the prof and he/she retaliated by failing you? Did you have some personal trauma that prevented you from studying for your final? These are examples of situations that might provide grounds for appeal to a higher level.

What kind of institution did you attend? Some are more attuned to "student rights" than others, and may offer paths to rehabilitate your grade.

Perhaps the fault here lies with your professor, and not with you. Or, perhaps you are the party that needs remedial work. Only an honest self-appraisal can answer that question, and ultimately the issue of whether the grade situation can be , through what means, and at what cost.

Good luck to you.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

lvm919 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:49 pm My final course was supposed to end this past Friday, but due to a variety of factors the final two weeks has led to a total breakdown in my relationship with the professor who has given me a failing grade.
Unfortunately you have to provide all the details behind the "breakdown", the entire history, etc. Nobody can provide any help without knowing exactly what happened, at least from your perspective. And we need to know exactly what your options are, in terms of whether it's even possible to retake this class with a different professor (often certain classes are only taught by one professor) or whether some other class can be substituted. I wouldn't say it would be likely that you could appeal the grade but why not address the situation with the administration and see what they have to say?
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

student wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 12:37 pm
Minty wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 11:42 am
student wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:23 am
gips wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:47 am most professors are reasonable, is he aware the failing grade is preventing graduation? is there any way to repair the relationship?

since you’ve taken the course once, re-taking should make it easier/less work. in your shoes, i’d def finish.
Whether getting a failing grade is preventing graduation is irrelevant. The student's relationship with the professor is also irrelevant. If the failing grade is not deserved, that is, the instructor graded capriciously due to the fallout, then he/she has not acted professionally. So OP should contact the appropriate person in the department (the chair or the ombudsperson, if there is one).
In my over two decades of teaching in higher ed (plus 8 years of studenthood) there has not been one successful grade appeal I am aware of, with the exception of the kid who was by some distance first in his class and got an F because his raw score approached the bottom of the range for scaled scores (scaled score = double raw score plus participation points). However, in my field there is anonymous grading and so less room for vindictiveness and favoritism, which I am sure happens.
I have similar experience and I do not recall any successful grade appeal on the grading itself. But there was one case when it was determined that the instructor was negligent in his duties and we had to offer the student to retake the class for free. I remember because I was the chair and we followed the appropriate procedure in assembling a committee to hear the case.
I failed a course early in my PhD for self-plagiarism. This "self-plagiarism" was literally a single statement in a long term paper. I was given a "0" although the entire paper was not even close to the threshold for text similarity on Turnitin. I appealed, but was denied. Expulsion was loosely thrown around before I was forced to do a series of assignments on identifying and avoiding plagiarism. During the appeal process, the professor essentially said they believed every PhD candidate should have to go through the avoiding plagiarism curriculum - as if someone with that level of experience in academia, who has to turn in every assignment to a plagiarism checker, doesn't understand it. I was so close to saying screw it to academia, but stuck it out and ultimately retook the course after successfully defending my dissertation.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

stoptothink wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 1:00 pm
gips wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 2:47 am most professors are reasonable, is he aware the failing grade is preventing graduation? is there any way to repair the relationship?

since you’ve taken the course once, re-taking should make it easier/less work. in your shoes, i’d def finish.
Whether getting a failing grade is preventing graduation is irrelevant. The student's relationship with the professor is also irrelevant. If the failing grade is not deserved, that is, the instructor graded capriciously due to the fallout, then he/she has not acted professionally. So OP should contact the appropriate person in the department (the chair or the ombudsperson, if there is one).
In my over two decades of teaching in higher ed (plus 8 years of studenthood) there has not been one successful grade appeal I am aware of, with the exception of the kid who was by some distance first in his class and got an F because his raw score approached the bottom of the range for scaled scores (scaled score = double raw score plus participation points). However, in my field there is anonymous grading and so less room for vindictiveness and favoritism, which I am sure happens.
I have similar experience and I do not recall any successful grade appeal on the grading itself. But there was one case when it was determined that the instructor was negligent in his duties and we had to offer the student to retake the class for free. I remember because I was the chair and we followed the appropriate procedure in assembling a committee to hear the case.
I failed a course in my PhD for plagiarizing...myself. I did not properly cite a statement from a previous paper that I wrote and was given an "F" even though the entire paper was not even close to passing the threshold for text similarity on Turnitin. My appeal was denied and I was very close to saying screw it to academia. I stuck it out and had to retake the course after successfully defending my dissertation.
That seems strange, once you were able to demonstrate the source, etc.

I had something similar, but with a better outcome.

I was at my oral defense, at a huge conference table with a few professors scattered around; the external examiner was at the far end, opposite me.

As I presented the major outcome and a key graph of the most innovative portion of my dissertation, the external examiner cleared his throat rather loudly, and I paused. He hemmed and hawed a bit, and finally said something like, "<MyName>... I um... don't know how to say this... but... I have seen this before...." as he trailed off.
Everyone one else looked surprised, and the Chair, who knew me very well, suddenly also looked worried as he looked over to me.

I had trouble not laughing.
I did smile, as I said something like, "Oh... yes... I published this part last summer in <name of top journal>."
Everyone let out a sigh of relief, and the external examiner laughed and said something about how that hadn't occurred to him, but "... come to think about it, I do remember that!"
[I never knew if he really had read it before or not.]

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

ResearchMed wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 4:21 pm

I failed a course in my PhD for plagiarizing...myself. I did not properly cite a statement from a previous paper that I wrote and was given an "F" even though the entire paper was not even close to passing the threshold for text similarity on Turnitin. My appeal was denied and I was very close to saying screw it to academia. I stuck it out and had to retake the course after successfully defending my dissertation.
That seems strange, once you were able to demonstrate the source, etc.

I had something similar, but with a better outcome.

I was at my oral defense, at a huge conference table with a few professors scattered around; the external examiner was at the far end, opposite me.

As I presented the major outcome and a key graph of the most innovative portion of my dissertation, the external examiner cleared his throat rather loudly, and I paused. He hemmed and hawed a bit, and finally said something like, "<MyName>... I um... don't know how to say this... but... I have seen this before...." as he trailed off.
Everyone one else looked surprised, and the Chair, who knew me very well, suddenly also looked worried as he looked over to me.

I had trouble not laughing.
I did smile, as I said something like, "Oh... yes... I published this part last summer in <name of top journal>."
Everyone let out a sigh of relief, and the external examiner laughed and said something about how that hadn't occurred to him, but "... come to think about it, I do remember that!"
[I never knew if he really had read it before or not.]

RM
I edited my post and added some further information. Yes, some in academia take "self-plagiarism" very seriously. Just another example of how much a joke the entire environment is becoming.
student

Post by student »

I failed a course early in my PhD for self-plagiarism. This "self-plagiarism" was literally a single statement in a long term paper. I was given a "0" although the entire paper was not even close to the threshold for text similarity on Turnitin. I appealed, but was denied. Expulsion was loosely thrown around before I was forced to do a series of assignments on identifying and avoiding plagiarism. During the appeal process, the professor essentially said they believed every PhD candidate should have to go through the avoiding plagiarism curriculum - as if someone with that level of experience in academia, who has to turn in every assignment to a plagiarism checker, doesn't understand it. I was so close to saying screw it to academia, but stuck it out and ultimately retook the course after successfully defending my dissertation.
The entire episode seems ridiculous for a single statement. As an editor of a journal, I am frequently annoyed by the people at the publisher when they asked me about accepted papers having common phrases with other papers. They are usually just definitions, so I told them it is ok.
Taz

Post by Taz »

I had an 18-month break between completing the coursework for a master's and submitting a capstone research paper due to an overseas move. Glad I finished it as it probably made the difference in picking up the next rank.

IMHO, finish it. It might open more doors later on. Plus, if things don't go well in your future employment plans - ".... you'll regret it. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but soon and for the rest of your life."
The destination matters. | "Life moves pretty fast. If you don't don't stop and look around once in a while - you could miss it." -- Ferris Bueller
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

cheese_breath wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:00 pm Only one course? I'd go ahead and take it. Although you don't need it in your current position, you never know about the future. My information is very dated, but I once heard of a company where they reviewed the employees educational backgrounds and awarded raises to those with advanced degrees.

It took me four years attending after work to get my masters. I never used it in my job then, but I felt it was nice to have on my resume when I was looking for the next one.
agree

if you only were one semester in -- i might say forget it -- take the loss and move on

but you are 'SO CLOSE'... :beer

any chance you can take a deep breath and meet with the instructor and figure out a way forward ? conflict resolution is a good skill to have :D

good luck --

----------------------------------
Dfgdfg

Post by Dfgdfg »

I looked at this question the other way. As an interviewer or hiring manager, I would really need a good reason if I found out someone quit when one course away from a degree. Assuming anyone else thinks like me, you would need to essentially keep quite about this piece of skill and experience. I would finish for this reason alone.
CyclingDuo

Post by CyclingDuo »

lvm919 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:49 pm Hopefully this is on topic for the forum, as it has a significant financial aspect. For the past 18 months I have been involved in a masters program in my field. My current employer reimbursed roughly half of the tuition and I supplied the rest. Working full time, dealing with the various upheavals of the last 18 months, and working on the degree have left me with severe and profound burnout. My final course was supposed to end this past Friday, but due to a variety of factors the final two weeks has led to a total breakdown in my relationship with the professor who has given me a failing grade.

The degree is not needed for my current position, it was something that I decided to do since I was given the “free money” by my employer and if I wanted at some point in the future to change jobs it might give me more options.

My question is this, do I commit additional time and money to retaking the class and obtaining the degree since I have already committed so much time and money to the pursuit, or do I just treat this as an investment that went poorly and take my losses just like I would had I bet on the wrong stock. If it makes a difference there are a number of other areas of my life that I have essentially put on hold to complete this program and any further efforts would have a significant opportunity cost.

Thanks in advance for your opinions.
As to the bolded, underlined, green part of your question - YES!

It's pretty difficult to receive a failing grade in higher education. It usually includes lack of attendance, not turning in the required work, not preparing for examinations, not participating in class discussion, etc... - or a combination of all of those.

What were the details that led to you receiving the F? Can you correct whatever it was that led to the failing grade?

I would suggest rolling up your sleeves and retaking the class with a solid work ethic to finish the degree. It's well worth the investment since you have put this much time and effort into earning the degree. Shake it off. Move forward.

CyclingDuo
"Save like a pessimist, invest like an optimist." - Morgan Housel | "Pick a bushel, save a peck!" - Grandpa
alex345

Post by alex345 »

Many of us who have phds have had similar experiences. My PhD qualifying exam anhilliated my class and half dropped out, I was told to take another year and try again. I did and passed the second time. It was the first time in my life where I needed apply myself. We were all burned out.
AnEngineer

Post by AnEngineer »

Dfgdfg wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:02 am I looked at this question the other way. As an interviewer or hiring manager, I would really need a good reason if I found out someone quit when one course away from a degree. Assuming anyone else thinks like me, you would need to essentially keep quite about this piece of skill and experience. I would finish for this reason alone.
But why would you ever share this information? Since this was done on the side while working, it's not like a potential employer is likely to ask what you were doing during that time. And if one did, you'd just say that you were working.
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

This aligns with what I was going to post. I would definately meet with the professor and talk through what went wrong from his or her perspective. You don't need to agree with them but it would be good to understand their point of view.

Then, since it is only one class I would complete the degree. If you have to take the same class from the same professor having the above conversation might help both parties reset in a respectful manner.

My advice is based in part on ten years of experience as an adjunct college professor.
econalex

Post by econalex »

OP has to be more specific for others to give actionable feedbacks. IMO master degrees are not that useful unless one learns specific marketable skills or fulfils some sort of hard requirements for career. This is excluding MBAs of course.
bikechuck

Post by bikechuck »

frugalhead1 wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:08 am Peter Thiel describes your situation (and the many of the above replies) in his book Zero to One. Indefinite optimism where you are not creating anything, mostly years of resume building to keep your options open in the future.
Forget the degree if it doesn't make you better at what you do, just keep mastering the skill you like and are in demand for.
I have worked for more than one company had certain jobs that required "a master's degree + X number of years of relevant experience". Yes, the degree is just a credential but it is a credential that opens some doors that would otherwise remain closed.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

Herekittykitty wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 8:57 am I'm breaking this down into 5 issues: 1. You have spent money and time toward getting a master's degree. 2. You can have a master's degree in return for taking one course. 3. You flunked a course. 4. You are burned out. 5. Your relationship with the professor from whom you took the course you flunked is ruptured.

[...deleted for space and relevancy to reply...]

5. Do what you can to repair the relationship with the professor. If you had any part at all in the situation with the professor, think about apologizing in person without placing blame on anyone but yourself, and asking for another chance in the future for a better relationship. (When you ask for the appointment, ask for it in person, and let him know you want to apologize in person and ask his advice.) You could let him know you have been burned out and wish you had realized sooner the impact on yourself and those around you. Don't do this until you spend some time or at least have a plan for addressing the burnout and until you can be sincere in the apology and can accept the reality of what happened without blaming him. Sincerely ask his advice for going forward and listen respectfully even if he tells you to jump in a lake (which is possible but unlikely.) Sincerely thank him for the visit no matter how it goes.

This can be a bump in the road you look back on in the future and feel good about how it worked out.
Probably the best all around advice, IMO. There's no better thing you can learn than how to apologize and maintain a fractured relationship. In your professional career and personal career. I'd rather practice this with a professor than a future boss!

Even if it doesn't seem to help in the short term, if you ever interact with this professor again their last memory will be of you being professional and apologetic. And I've found the phrase "time heals all wounds" is much more effective when the last engagement is out of sincere apology.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

CyclingDuo wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:17 am What were the details that led to you receiving the F? Can you correct whatever it was that led to the failing grade?
Yes, the OP has not been back to explain the details. I don't believe anyone can provide useful suggestions for moving forward without understanding exactly what resulted in the failing grade.
Miguelito

Post by Miguelito »

Definitely suck it up and wrap it up.

I started my MS right after college. After about 1/3, I had to pause because life got in the way. I resumed it years later and finally finished it well over a decade after I started - courses I wanted weren't available at the right times vs. crunch time for projects at work, etc. All the years I was working towards it, nobody would have cared that I had it. Later, I was amazed how much an MS mattered for my career. Glad I got it. It has very much been a "check the box" nice to have. Nobody has ever asked me about the coursework of my MS or whether it was applicable to the job in question. My degree (tuition) was 100% paid by employers.
Last edited by Miguelito on Tue Oct 26, 2021 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pitagoras

Post by Pitagoras »

If I would be you, I definitely would finish it. It may not be needed for the current position, but you won't stay in it for ever, right? Go ahead, and get into it.
esqu1re

Post by esqu1re »

BLUF: Finish the fight.

Everything else being equal, there isn't any appreciable difference in knowledge between someone with a Masters degree and the same person who has met all the requirements of that degree except for the last class. The only difference -- and it's a big one -- is that the one with the actual piece of paper is "certified" by the institution to have completed all requirements. The school puts its mark and rests its reputation on that student.

You should finish. You're only one class away from being able to show the world you have certified knowledge in that subject.
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

This isn't a sunk cost fallacy. You're one course away from completion, and you should finish it.

But I'm curious - it's late October. The vast majority of universities aren't close to done with the semester or quarter. You know your own case of course but usually in October it's still possible to recover from bad situations. I'd talk to the professor again.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

getthatmarshmallow wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:15 pm This isn't a sunk cost fallacy. You're one course away from completion, and you should finish it.
If there's no value in the end result, this is a perfect example of a sunk cost fallacy.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

lvm919 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:49 pm My final course was supposed to end this past Friday, but due to a variety of factors the final two weeks has led to a total breakdown in my relationship with the professor who has given me a failing grade.
Is that a repairable relationship?

Can you re-take the course with another professor, or are you stuck with this one?

One course away is super close... One class isn't the time suck that multiple simultaneous classes are.
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
getthatmarshmallow

Post by getthatmarshmallow »

JoeRetire wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:01 pm
getthatmarshmallow wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 7:15 pm This isn't a sunk cost fallacy. You're one course away from completion, and you should finish it.
If there's no value in the end result, this is a perfect example of a sunk cost fallacy.
There's no value in the end result only if he doesn't finish.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

I took a W in a PhD course of study because the professor was biased and incompetent. Had to pay for the course despite getting no credit.

10 weeks into the 13 week course, we had only covered 30 pages of the text book, yet it was 300 pages long and he insisted we would finish the book. I compared my grades on homework with others. The professor was obviously giving lower grades for the same answer, depending on one's college of enrollment. If I had fought that, it obviously would have dragged on for months, with no guarantee of success.

But I finished the curriculum by taking a different course. Can you take some other course to fulfill the requirement? If it's only one course I would definitely do so. I would certainly not throw in with the same biased professor.

Next life, stay out of biased situations? Easier said than done. TANJ.
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

tooluser wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:27 pm

Next life, stay out of biased situations? Easier said than done. TANJ.
*All* of us have biases. That's been shown in endless research.

The question is simply whether we face a bias in a particular situation that affects us in a negative way.

And whether we can do anything about it.

Biased situations are part of life. Just like In Group and Out Group - every organisation of people has them.
London

Post by London »

I value a masters degree at zero so I’d move on and not worry about that decision. If you place a higher value on it, finish it.
markjk

Post by markjk »

Take some time off to gather yourself. Your credits aren't going anywhere. Reset, and then go back and finish. We all treat education as an investment and look at the money it will provide us after graduation. That is natural today because that is what we've been told since a young age. Go to college to get a job. But, even without the money aspect, finishing a master's degree is a huge personal accomplishment that very few people on the planet realize. I get the burnout and challenges of life. I've been there many times myself. I even failed a class and had trouble with a professor, similar to what you describe here. If you were say 1/2 way to the degree, it might be worth walking away and considering it a sunk cost. You still learned a lot even if you don't get the degree. But, if you are truly only one (or even a couple) of classes away, go do it. You deserve the recognition of the degree. But, do it on a timeline that works for you. You won't regret it.
Dfgdfg

Post by Dfgdfg »

AnEngineer wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:42 am
Dfgdfg wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:02 am I looked at this question the other way. As an interviewer or hiring manager, I would really need a good reason if I found out someone quit when one course away from a degree. Assuming anyone else thinks like me, you would need to essentially keep quite about this piece of skill and experience. I would finish for this reason alone.
But why would you ever share this information? Since this was done on the side while working, it's not like a potential employer is likely to ask what you were doing during that time. And if one did, you'd just say that you were working.
My thought was in future conversations your education will apply at times and there will be a desire to use it or reference it and OP will be forced into the situation you describe. Seems silly over 1 course. I know over the last 20 years referencing something learned or even just referencing the effort I put into getting my MBA has been helpful and additive. Having to act like the effort never happened would be a bummer.
AnEngineer

Post by AnEngineer »

Dfgdfg wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 6:11 am
AnEngineer wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 9:42 am
My thought was in future conversations your education will apply at times and there will be a desire to use it or reference it and OP will be forced into the situation you describe. Seems silly over 1 course. I know over the last 20 years referencing something learned or even just referencing the effort I put into getting my MBA has been helpful and additive. Having to act like the effort never happened would be a bummer.
If this were something where you both need to sound authoritative and it's outside your field, I may agree, but that's not the case with the OP as it's "in my field". As such, the knowledge and skills should make sense for someone in the field to know.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

getthatmarshmallow wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:14 pm
JoeRetire wrote: Mon Oct 25, 2021 8:01 pm
There's no value in the end result only if he doesn't finish.
The "only" part is not correct.
Sinking more time and money into it and finishing doesn't cause value to appear if the OP doesn't actually value the end result of having a master's degree.

Several others indicate that they see no value in the degree (I'm not one of them), but the only one that matters is the OP.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
KellyT

Post by KellyT »

OP: what is your employer’s policy on repayment if you: a. Don’t finish the program or fail a course? Mine has a repayment policy of all funds if you do not complete the program as well as repayment of funds paid on a course if your grade is lower then a “C.”
Topic Author
lvm919

Post by lvm919 »

Thank you all for your input, it helped give me some much needed perspective. As someone who has never had too much difficulty with academics, this has been an unfamiliar situation which I think caused me to feel like catastrophe had occurred. I had resolved over the weekend that I WOULD be finishing, even if I had to retake the course, as objectively it really was just one more class even if I felt like a terrible event had occurred.

I was also able to swallow some of my pride and reach out to try and see if there was anything additional I could do in order to obtain a passing grade, as much of the issue was not the quality of work as missed deadlines and communication problems. Ultimately I did finally do what was required for me to pass and I am now much relieved.

Despite that, I don't think that I would have started the course of study if given the chance over again. The costs were too high for too uncertain of a payoff. I can always take courses if in the future if it turns out I need the knowledge or degree, but I can't go back and get back the time already spent.
You will have to give back your multiples.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

lvm919 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:18 pm Thank you all for your input, it helped give me some much needed perspective. As someone who has never had too much difficulty with academics, this has been an unfamiliar situation which I think caused me to feel like catastrophe had occurred. I had resolved over the weekend that I WOULD be finishing, even if I had to retake the course, as objectively it really was just one more class even if I felt like a terrible event had occurred.

I was also able to swallow some of my pride and reach out to try and see if there was anything additional I could do in order to obtain a passing grade, as much of the issue was not the quality of work as missed deadlines and communication problems. Ultimately I did finally do what was required for me to pass and I am now much relieved.

Despite that, I don't think that I would have started the course of study if given the chance over again. The costs were too high for too uncertain of a payoff. I can always take courses if in the future if it turns out I need the knowledge or degree, but I can't go back and get back the time already spent.
VERY glad to hear it!

As for the "I wouldn't have done it if I could make the decision again", well... there will be lots of those :annoyed

I suspect that in the future, a few times or many, you'll be pleased to have this degree in hand, either for job credentials or just some time in professional conversation when it's nicer to be able to mention it than to remain silent about some advanced degree.

Thanks for updating us.

And Congratulations!

🍷 🍷

RM
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

Congrats, OP! :thumbsup :thumbsup

I think having your degree info in your resume is better than having "almost all classes required completed to earn degree, but dropped out with one remaining" in your resume. Your degree documents you are a finisher, and not a quitter.

I was not a traditional college student myself, and I know how difficult it can be to work fulltime and also attend classes. DW and I were married and had three children by the time I was finishing up my undergraduate course work.

My goal for my undergraduate degree was to have it in hand when DW and I attended our 10 year HS reunion. And, I did, although the last quarter I had to take four classes to finish it up in time. It was a tough slog but I survived.

I had to drop out of a graduate program also. Life events didn't allow it at the time. A few years later two peers and I signed up for a graduate program. A couple of years later we all finished up. Great experience for us all.

Funny thing was when the three of us started our graduate program, there was a flurry of other employees in our department who signed up for various programs.

:sharebeer

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

lvm919 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:18 pm Despite that, I don't think that I would have started the course of study if given the chance over again. The costs were too high for too uncertain of a payoff. I can always take courses if in the future if it turns out I need the knowledge or degree, but I can't go back and get back the time already spent.
That seems like an unusual feeling now that you're finished, but later you might value the degree more than you do now. However I believe that often Bogleheads don't give enough weight to the possibility of failure, possibly at the very last stage, when they reply to questions from someone seeking advice about starting on a program or degree. That may be simply because many may never have experienced failure when they've put considerable effort into a task - which in turn has led them to success, relatively high incomes, and... here.
mr_brightside

Post by mr_brightside »

Congrats ! glad to hear you got a positive resolution ! :sharebeer

in time you will be glad you did even if now it has left a somewhat bitter taste ...

-------------------------------------------
MikeWarnick

Post by MikeWarnick »

I wish we could hear the professors side of the story in this saga.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

Please plan to finish the degree. I have seen people give up with one course and regret it their entire lifetime.
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
srt7

Post by srt7 »

lvm919 wrote: Tue Oct 26, 2021 12:18 pm Thank you all for your input, it helped give me some much needed perspective. As someone who has never had too much difficulty with academics, this has been an unfamiliar situation which I think caused me to feel like catastrophe had occurred. I had resolved over the weekend that I WOULD be finishing, even if I had to retake the course, as objectively it really was just one more class even if I felt like a terrible event had occurred.

Great news!! Congratulations on running that last lap to the finish line!
Taking care of tomorrow while enjoying today.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

OP:

Please edit the title (use the edit pencil when you open your initial post) to indicate the issue is resolved.
You could put a sentence or two at the very top of that first post.

Thanks.
Otherwise, people will continue to offer their helpful suggestions, etc.

RM
Herekittykitty

Post by Herekittykitty »

That is a great! You fell down, and got back up again. The goal was realistic and you did what it took to reach it!

Well done!!!!! It is a great outcome, and a learning experience that you would never have had if you had not reached out and asked to do additional work to get a passing grade.

It is not possible to know how things would have turned out had you never started the course of study. What can be known is that you have a master's degree, you earned it, and it will always be yours. The degree, the accomplishment, the education, and the career benefit are yours, because you earned it. Like others, I think it will matter in a lot of ways even though you don't see it now.
Again - well done!!!!!
I don't know anything.