FIRE and take up a low paying / low stress job - do you stay 'under cover'?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
CuriousJoe

FIRE and take up a low paying / low stress job - do you stay 'under cover'?

Post by CuriousJoe »

If you achieved FIRE, got bored with the free time, and subsequently went back to work at a low-paying job, how much do you personally interact with co-workers/bosses?

1. Revealing too much of your background can create resentment with them

2. If you remain aloof ('under cover'), they may view you as a 'failure' especially if they are much younger than you and start treating you that way

3. When you see supervisors who are much younger than you, do you feel let down at times, even though you knew you were 'successful' in your prior professional life?
mushripu

Re: FIRE and take up a low paying / low stress job - do you stay 'under cover'?

Post by mushripu »

CuriousJoe wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:41 am If you achieved FIRE, got bored with the free time, and subsequently went back to work at a low-paying job, how much do you personally interact with co-workers/bosses?

2. If you remain aloof ('under cover'), they may view you as a 'failure' especially if they are much younger than you and start treating you that way

3. When you see supervisors who are much younger than you, do you feel let down at times, even though you knew you were 'successful' in your prior professional life?
If you have to think this much, then the low paying job is perhaps not the way to go. May be some sort of independent business would be better. Volunteer work of some sort would be great to spend time.
makingmistakes

Post by makingmistakes »

CuriousJoe wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:41 am If you achieved FIRE, got bored with the free time, and subsequently went back to work at a low-paying job, how much do you personally interact with co-workers/bosses?

Good grief. Surely you don’t want to live life like this, worrying that people don’t know how rich and successful you are. Volunteer somewhere.
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

Become an Uber driver. Tales of your past successes will entertain your customers.
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

OP,

1) You made a fundamental flaw assumption.

Low paying = low stress. Actually, low paying = high stress.

There is a middle ground between low and high paying where stress is minimal.

2) If you worried too much of how others think of you, you would never be happy.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

KlangFool wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:03 am

OP,

2) If you worried too much of how others think of you, you would never be happy.

KlangFool
I don't see where the OP said anything at all about stress. Certainly there are no assumptions about stress levels.

And stress level has no correlation with pay level.
There are low stress, high pay jobs. There are high stress low pay jobs.
And there is no sweet spot - any pay level could be low stress or high stress. It depends on the specific job, specific company, specific boss, etc.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

After we retired (not too early), my wife decided she wanted to work part-time. Since we aren't bound by the need for income, that meant she could work at anything at all that might be enjoyable. She found a job in a hospital. She loves it and enjoys the social aspects.

It has never been a problem revealing background. She isn't the aloof type, she's a joyful type. Her bosses are all younger - no surprise there. Her coworkers all love her.

If you work solely for the enjoyment rather than the income, what others are doing with their careers shouldn't make you "feel let down".
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
makingmistakes

Post by makingmistakes »

JoeRetire wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:29 am

OP,

KlangFool
I don't see where the OP said anything at all about stress. Certainly there are no assumptions about stress levels.

Check the thread title again.
JCH10400

Post by JCH10400 »

Retired CPA here. I got bored and took a part-time job as a tour guide giving half day 4 wheel drive tours. Most of the guides are retired with a pension, with a few moms who wanted to work part time after the kids got big enough. I get the feeling some of the pensioners just got bored and looked for something to do, and some need to work to supplement their Social Security. Office / support staff are younger. Interaction with co-workers is limited to about an hour both before and after the tour as each guide gives their own tour.

I don't drive anything fancy or have an extravagant lifestyle but do occasionally get comments about my "having money", usually from the people who live paycheck to paycheck. Each guide sets their own workload by listing the days they want to work on a calendar with the scheduler matching the available tours to who says they want to work that day, so for the occasional comments I just mention that they could make more money by being available more days. I've only had two instances that were more serious. One person thought I should finance a business deal (didn't do it) and one of the support staff (who was about 20 years younger than me) decided since I am single I'm a "good catch" and wasn't happy when I wasn't interested.

Personally, as long as everyone is civil when we work together I don't care what they think.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

bluebolt wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:00 am Become an Uber driver. Tales of your past successes will entertain your customers.
But likely won’t have a stimulative effect on your tips. But then again, why would it matter?
Being wrong compounds forever.
Topic Author
CuriousJoe

Post by CuriousJoe »

OP,

KlangFool]

Agree KlangFool.
I mentioned low stress because it is indeed a low stress civil service job. However 'envy' from colleagues / supervisors can cause friction and increase stress level.

I am originally from Malaysia and there are many employees from this region who openly exhibit jealousy. Many of the colleagues, even older ones, seem to work from pay check to pay check. I don't mean to be pompous about it, but I find it very difficult to relate to them.

Any way, just venting.

OP
PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco »

I so often agree with KlangFool that I sometimes wonder if we are the same person!
:D
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

Honestly thought the exact same questions imagining working in a position where I’d imagine most are indeed living paycheck to paycheck and where there are very likely bosses inflicted with little man syndrome. The pay seems to have very little correlation to stress so choose wisely. Although, making below a certain level will certainly invite money induced problems and resentment towards others (especially co-workers) not in that position. Very situation specific I suppose. Best thing I can conclude would be to work for myself/or with a select few that have similar situations. I have no idea why people think being a barista at Starbucks would be a chill job for example....maybe in specific areas of the country I suppose it could be substantially better (nicer people) on average. Good luck! In general, don’t brag or discuss finances with any coworkers.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

PhoebeCoco wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:01 amI so often agree with KlangFool that I sometimes wonder if we are the same person!
Then you'd be melded with me as well.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

CuriousJoe wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:53 am
OP,

KlangFool]

Agree KlangFool.
I mentioned low stress because it is indeed a low stress civil service job. However 'envy' from colleagues / supervisors can cause friction and increase stress level.

I am originally from Malaysia and there are many employees from this region who openly exhibit jealousy. Many of the colleagues, even older ones, seem to work from pay check to pay check. I don't mean to be pompous about it, but I find it very difficult to relate to them.

Any way, just venting.

OP
CuriousJoe,

You just contradict yourself.

How could this be a low stress job when there are a lot of busybodies? Aka, folks with nothing to do but stick their noses in some other folks' businesses?

In most of my jobs, folks are too busy with their jobs to deal with others' business. It is low stress because nobody has time to bother with you.

<<I am originally from Malaysia and there are many employees from this region who openly exhibit jealousy.>>

I do not understand this statement.

A) Many employees from Malaysia working in Malaysia

Or,

B) Many employees from Malaysia working in the USA.

(A) or (B).

<<Many of the colleagues, even older ones, seem to work from pay check to pay check. I don't mean to be pompous about it, but I find it very difficult to relate to them.>>

I do not care whether I can relate to my colleagues. It is a job. I have friends and family outside of my working environment. It is nice if I can. But, it is not necessary.

KlangFool
Last edited by KlangFool on Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

bluebolt wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:00 am Become an Uber driver. Tales of your past successes will entertain your customers.
I got a Lyft ride home from the VW dealership a few weeks ago from a recently retired orthopedic surgeon. Had to be in his mid-50s at the oldest. He said it took only a week or two before he was bored and decided to do this occasionally just so he has regular human interaction.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

I've found that people aren't as concerned with me as I would like to think. They mostly think about themselves.

I don't reveal my net worth or portfolio size to anyone. There is no upside.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

PhoebeCoco wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:01 am I so often agree with KlangFool that I sometimes wonder if we are the same person!
The same for me, lol.

Being "under cover" to me is being highly productive, but not making waves, or engaging in office politics. It's a great place to be.

Having a younger supervisor is the best thing that happened to me, but it took a bit of soul searching at first.
59Gibson

Post by 59Gibson »

whodidntante wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:19 am I've found that people aren't as concerned with me as I would like to think. They mostly think about themselves.

This is it. They don't really care about you..I would never discuss $/FI, it can only lead to problems.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

CuriousJoe wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:41 am
I don’t really understand this. You are choosing to work in a position you are way over-qualified for, and then you’re going to feel disappointed that your superiors aren’t as “good” as you are?

You are choosing to do this, so you need to get over that superiority complex. If anything, maybe you could coach your peers/supervisors a little and help them grow
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
SQRT

Post by SQRT »

Probably better to be less self absorbed and get over yourself. Most if not all people you interact with would not care much about your background.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

whodidntante wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:19 am I've found that people aren't as concerned with me as I would like to think. They mostly think about themselves.

This is an understatement.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

SQRT wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:25 am Probably better to be less self absorbed and get over yourself. Most if not all people you interact with would not care much about your background.
I cringe reading the opening post. If you think people actually care what you did in the past or how much money you have, maybe you need to spend more time out there in the real world.
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

you can't control other people, you can only control yourself.

to that end, you can't ever control what another person thinks about you.

if they have resentment towards you (#1), that's up to them, not you.

And it speaks volumes about them, not you.

If they want to choose to view you as a failure (#2), they have made an assumption about you that was wrong, right?

You can correct another's assumption, if you want to, but again, the lesson here is for them not you. For them to learn when they assume, they make an a** out of themselves, not you.

My girlfriend read a book years ago about fundraising. There was a story where a fundraiser in the town went around and asked all the wealthy looking people for money (those who looked the part, drove bmws, etc) and the one laborer in the town was upset that he wasn't asked for money for their cause. He felt insulted that others made an assumption about him; that he didn't have the resources. He was actually the richest person in the town. But nobody knew it because he didn't flaunt it. If he had been asked, he would have given charitably. See how people who make assumptions can hurt themselves?

#3 why would you "feel down" because you have a younger supervisor? Again, is it because you think they're viewing you as a failure because you (an older person) should be supervising them (younger person)? If so, go be a supervisor. But that's not what you wanted. So what does this matter? Let them think what they want.

You may be making your own assumptions here as well. That you're thinking they think things about you that they might not be thinking.

I happen to check people's assumptions quite often. It's a spectator sport with me. Because people live in assumptions. It's fun to watch people squirm a bit knowing they're assuming things that might not be true. I only play devil's advocate when I hear people say things they think are 100% correct, knowing very little is that certain especially when it comes to the thoughts and motives of people.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
PhoebeCoco

Post by PhoebeCoco »

stoptothink wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:16 am
I got a Lyft ride home from the VW dealership a few weeks ago from a recently retired orthopedic surgeon. Had to be in his mid-50s at the oldest. He said it took only a week or two before he was bored and decided to do this occasionally just so he has regular human interaction.
Or so the Lyft driver claimed. I would take stories like this with a grain of salt.

Retired orthopedic surgeons have a lot better options for regular human interaction than driving strangers around.
Topic Author
CuriousJoe

Post by CuriousJoe »

SQRT wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 10:25 am Probably better to be less self absorbed and get over yourself. Most if not all people you interact with would not care much about your background.
Agree, I need to get over myself!

OP
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

CuriousJoe wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:01 pm

OP
When you point a finger at someone, please remember that the other 3 fingers are pointing back at you.

- Chinese Proverb

KlangFool
Topic Author
CuriousJoe

Post by CuriousJoe »

KlangFool wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:14 pm
CuriousJoe wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:01 pm

OP
When you point a finger at someone, please remember that the other 3 fingers are pointing back at you.

- Chinese Proverb

KlangFool
:thumbsup
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

PhoebeCoco wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:58 am
Or so the Lyft driver claimed. I would take stories like this with a grain of salt.

Retired orthopedic surgeons have a lot better options for regular human interaction than driving strangers around.
I was thinking the same thing when I read that.

I’ve only known personally one person who drove for Lyft and he also was one of the only pathological liars I have known. If you think about it, it’s a great way for a person like that to spend their day. Spinning tales of this and that to strangers they’ll never see again.
Being wrong compounds forever.
J295

Post by J295 »

PhoebeCoco wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 11:58 am

Maybe, or maybe not.

One of my “older” acquaintances owned car dealerships, and one son was a college basketball star and now a highly successful college basketball coach. This acquaintance lives where I live on a private golf course, yet back in the day instead of joining he shined shoes a couple of days a week in the locker room. He liked being around the club and this let him play with the older regulars a couple of days a week. He would never talk about himself or his son unless I asked, and I asked often because I liked to hear about those things and we would have nice conversations. Otherwise, unless someone was connecting the dots they had no idea about his past, and he didn’t mind a bit. He also did volunteer work at some of the same places I did — very hands-on and not leader ship type of work (in contrast to being in leader ship on community boards back in my working days).

I took a page from his playbook after I retired at age 53, and I’m quite content being “irrelevant” as far as the cultural pecking order is concerned.

It’s not for everyone of course, but it does fit some of us.
kelway

Post by kelway »

I look forward to this exact thing just as I somehow enjoy people seeing me in an old Honda Civic. Probably weird and probably some mental illness I haven't self-diagnosed yet.
kelway

Post by kelway »

I don't agree. There is stress that keeps you worried for days and there is Friday night rush at the pizza place stress where it's actually a bit of a high.
kelway

Post by kelway »

Wanderingwheelz wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:21 pm I’ve only known personally one person who drove for Lyft and he also was one of the only pathological liars I have known. If you think about it, it’s a great way for a person like that to spend their day. Spinning tales of this and that to strangers they’ll never see again.
Hank's wife in Breaking Bad. I'm glad I was able to remember that because your post reminded me of her.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

Not FIREd, but I did voluntarily switch a too-stressful-for-me higher paying job for a low paying job, so...

1. Don't tell them unless you have to. Eventually, in the course of conversation (and because most people have observational skills), you'll probably have to let some of your background slip in response to direct questions, but just be super casual about it, give as little info as possible, and brush it off as the past. Most people are polite enough not to push further with the prying once it's clear you don't want to talk about it and as long as you're not carrying it around with you in a puffed up attitude. A smile and a shrug communicates quite a lot.

2. Lol. No. Most people are not this judgmental. Everyone knows that "life happens". And even if someone happens to think something like that, that's their problem (not yours) and they're still not going to actually treat you like a failure. Especially not if you're pleasant to be around, good at your job, and don't cause any drama.

3. It doesn't matter how old a supervisor is. It matters if they're any good at it. If they're good at it, be happy for them that they are succeeding. Be happy for the people they supervise/manage (and yourself) that they are good at it. Be happy for all the future people they will supervise/manage that there is a good manager in the world. We need all of those that we can get. If they're not good at it, help them get better in very, very subtle ways. It's a public service.

Remember, you didn't go back to work because you had to. You wanted to. If you're uncomfortable because you already spilled the beans or have let an attitude of superiority slip to co-workers or an attitude of resentment slip to your supervisor, then find a different job and try again. It's a different kind of learning experience :)
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
brian91480

Post by brian91480 »

How does one define "stress"? Everyone may have a different answer.

To me...

High stress = checking work email when you're off, thinking about upcoming work problems on your days off, things like that.

Low stress = when I clock out and am finished for the day, I'm totally free. Things may get hectic during the actual shift, but you never take things home with you.

I'm looking to downshift to a lower stress job right now... it's just difficult finding what I want to do and having the guts to pull the trigger.
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

I find it kind of depressing that so many people find the freedom of retirement so boring they feel they need to take on such jobs just to fill time or have social interactions.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

brian91480 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:26 pm How does one define "stress"? Everyone may have a different answer.
Do you dream about it regularly? Are they nightmares? Boom. Stress.

Edit to add (as a PSA):

Physical signs:

- unusual weight gain or weight loss
- hair loss/thinning (more noticeable as unusual for women)
- skin issues (in particular, face rash)
- lethargy/lack of energy

Lifestyle signs:

- drinking self to sleep/addictive behavior
- unhealthy food choices/behaviors
- isolation/loss of interest in having a personal life

Mood signs:

- irritability
- impatience
- depression
- anxiety
"The only thing that makes life possible is permanent, intolerable uncertainty; not knowing what comes next." ~Ursula LeGuin
Patzer

Post by Patzer »

I know a retired Executive Director that about 2 months after retiring started doing Uber 2 nights a week.
He ended up doing it for about 6 months before building up enough non-work activities to fill his time.
Patzer

Post by Patzer »

kelway wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 12:50 pm
I look forward to this exact thing just as I somehow enjoy people seeing me in an old Honda Civic. Probably weird and probably some mental illness I haven't self-diagnosed yet.
I am not retired yet, but I am already "under cover". I make more per year than my house and car cost combined.
I love it. Literally zero financial stress and targeting retiring before 50 with a very safe withdrawal rate.
My colleagues and a few trusted friends know what I make, but most people think I am just a fellow middle-class guy driving a 7 year old car and living in a modest house.
Because of that, I think a lot of people relate to me and treat me as an equal that might otherwise be envious of me, and I have a lot of great interactions with people that I might not otherwise.
Sure, a few people might think they are better than me, but I only care about the opinions of people that are important to me and I am happy with my life.

So, when I am retired someday, if I am bored, it should be pretty easy for me to do some work in lower paying jobs without raising any eyebrows.
I think doing some sporadic consulting, board work, or volunteer work will probably be more rewarding than doing jobs below my skill level, BUT having options is one of the greatest forms of wealth.
Last edited by Patzer on Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

brian91480 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 1:26 pm How does one define "stress"? Everyone may have a different answer.

To me...

High stress = checking work email when you're off, thinking about upcoming work problems on your days off, things like that.

Low stress = when I clock out and am finished for the day, I'm totally free. Things may get hectic during the actual shift, but you never take things home with you.

I'm looking to downshift to a lower stress job right now... it's just difficult finding what I want to do and having the guts to pull the trigger.
100% agree here.

As someone in IT I would add having to constantly refresh your skillset to keep up to date and employable, it's another stressor. Positioning yourself on the projects that are going to use new hot technology also often requires some stressful political wrangling.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
Dave55

Post by Dave55 »

I got FIRE early 50's, got bored and went into a 2nd career that paid nothing, no salary that is. I was an acquisition consultant for PE Commercial RE Boutique. I started at the bottom and was mentored by one of the partners. I was only paid if I found a property they invested in. They all knew I had done well in my earlier career, nobody cared. Consider finding a straight commission no salary gig and I would venture to guess no one would care how successful you were or how much :moneybag you have.

Dave
"Reality always wins, your only job is to get in touch with it." Wilfred Bion
Patzer

Post by Patzer »

To me...

For me, I define a stressful job as being responsible for things I can't control, or spending time outside my work hours on work, especially if it's unpredictable.

Most of my career has been as a manager on some level, including my current job and since I can't control (only influence) other people's success, and I always find it stressful.

Any job where I have only been responsible for my own mistakes I have found to be much lower stress.

I don't consider being in a flow state to be stressful. In fact, my happiest work moments are high productivity spurts where stuff needs to get done properly and fast, but I am in control of the results. I loved working drive thru during rush hour as a teen and many years later I love working to fix an issue on a live server.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

I would not tell co-workers/managers about taking mlw paying jb because you have “enough”. Creates envy.
Topic Author
CuriousJoe

Post by CuriousJoe »

I too enjoy being completely in the shadow. But if I see them treating me in a condescending way, shouldn't I get the urge to 'come out of the cover' - however slightly, and tell them that I have handled 'bigger' things in life?
coachd50

Post by coachd50 »

CuriousJoe wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:17 pm
I too enjoy being completely in the shadow. But if I see them treating me in a condescending way, shouldn't I get the urge to 'come out of the cover' - however slightly, and tell them that I have handled 'bigger' things in life?
No. No need to get that urge. If you don't feel appreciated, you can simply leave.
marcopolo

Post by marcopolo »

CuriousJoe wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:17 pm
You think the average person working in such jobs will be impressed that you made a bunch of money, but the rest of your life is so empty that you have to take a "low stress" job to fill your time/provide social interaction? I suspect if anything this would make them respect you even less.
Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right.
Beensabu

Post by Beensabu »

CuriousJoe wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 4:17 pm I too enjoy being completely in the shadow. But if I see them treating me in a condescending way, shouldn't I get the urge to 'come out of the cover' - however slightly, and tell them that I have handled 'bigger' things in life?
My urge would be to laugh.

You're able to dissect their behavior that is based on imperfect knowledge of your situation. How is that not funny? People watching is the best. Sounds like a fun job.
VoiceOfReason

Post by VoiceOfReason »

I think this is a great question.

I think in reality it would be very difficult to actually hide your financial situation unless you truly shared no personal information with anyone. (Being in any job where you make 0 personal connection with your colleagues must be miserable.)

Ultimately people would get a sense where u live, what vacations you go on, what you do on the weekend, etc. A typical barista doesn’t take their family on international trips and go to high end restaurants, live in certain neighborhoods, etc. so if you actually did make and have a lot of $$ it would be hard to hide.

If I did it, I would just carry on and let people guess/figure it out. One of the benefits of FIRE is you dont have to care what people think.
Topic Author
CuriousJoe

Post by CuriousJoe »

VoiceOfReason wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 5:01 pm I think this is a great question.

I think in reality it would be very difficult to actually hide your financial situation unless you truly shared no personal information with anyone. (Being in any job where you make 0 personal connection with your colleagues must be miserable.)

Ultimately people would get a sense where u live, what vacations you go on, what you do on the weekend, etc. A typical barista doesn’t take their family on international trips and go to high end restaurants, live in certain neighborhoods, etc. so if you actually did make and have a lot of $$ it would be hard to hide.

If I did it, I would just carry on and let people guess/figure it out. One of the benefits of FIRE is you dont have to care what people think.
Agree completely :D
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Complain about a few bills, throw em off the scent. No upside to acting rich around people who are struggling or desperate.