Seeking Advice New Job in Chicago - 29M

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
pechy2925

Seeking Advice New Job in Chicago - 29M

Post by pechy2925 »

Hello all,

I guess, this post will be seeking advice on three questions: Where would you live if you were a 29 year old single person in Chicago? Secondly, what suggestions would you have for rent vs. buy? Lastly, how much could I stretch my budget?

I accepted a new job as a consultant in Chicago. During this pandemic I took some time to re-evaluate my life and decided to switch careers to Safety. My new position will be starting officially Nov. 1, 2021 and I will be needing to relocate to Chicago within the next couple of months. The new company is very accommodating and hasn't given a firm date to when they would like me there. I have general onboarding, some clients in the area I am living now they would like for me to shadow along side some coworkers, and the fact that the holiday season is starting.

A bit of background, I am from the Midwest and have frequented Chicago growing up about 1.5hrs away. I'm familiar with the city itself. A majority of the clients are manufactures in the Northern part of the city which I can expect to travel to 2-3 times a week. If I were to draw a triangle Skokie -> North Chicago -> Crystal Lake. The other 2-3 days of the week, I will be working from home. About 1 week of every month that I will need to drive or fly to clients outside of Chicago entirely.

My company is starting me out at $70k base, 2% quarterly bonus (not guaranteed), $105/month additional gym/phone/internet stipend. Being that I am new to the field and have limited experience, and still 1.5 years left to complete my masters in the field, I am being paid on the lower side. Career progression is well-defined here, and they have been very transparent with where my salary will go over the next 1.5 years. May 1, 2022 I can expect a raise to $75k, as well as a .5% increase in quarterly bonus. The following year upon completion of my degree, I can expect around $110k, and an additional .5%. They were kind enough to take me on while in school and train me into the technical part of their business.

I've been frugal since I came out of school in 2015. At times, I felt I haven't "lived" enough and would be willing to "break some personal finance rules".
Current savings:
401k - $178k ($5k Roth)
Roth - $67k
HSA - $17K
Taxable - $22k
Crypto - $1.5k
Cash - $4k
Total - $290K 'ish

As far as debts go, I have about 17k left on a 2.2% student loan that is about $178 a month. I will be taking out loans for the remainder of my schooling which will add about $20k to my debt. My car is relaible and paid off. No CC debt, and high 700ish credit score. Phones paid for...that loan and a few subscriptions services like Apple Music, Netflix..
Cigarman

Re: Seeking Advice New Job in Chicago - 29M

Post by Cigarman »

Rent until you are out of school. Try and figure out your driving schedule and pick a location that minimizes your overall driving between clients, office and school. (This is why you are renting, so you can relocate if things change drastically). Can't speak to the budget factor as I have no clue how expensive housing will be, increase in such things as auto insurance, etc.
Topic Author
pechy2925

Post by pechy2925 »

Cigarman wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:44 am Rent until you are out of school. Try and figure out your driving schedule and pick a location that minimizes your overall driving between clients, office and school. (This is why you are renting, so you can relocate if things change drastically). Can't speak to the budget factor as I have no clue how expensive housing will be, increase in such things as auto insurance, etc.
Thanks for your reply. My gut is going with rent until that is over as well. There's a chance I'd relocate after these 1.5 years in Chicago. The company would let me stay if I absolutely was gun ho about it, but made me aware larger opportunities could be in store in other markets. I should have mentioned that the school is fully online. The only travel will be between my home and clients. The company went away with all office locations about a year into the pandemic and decided to only retain a HQ building.
InvestorHowie

Post by InvestorHowie »

Having grown up in small-town Midwest and having spent nearly the past 20 years in Chicago/Chicagoland I might ask what you're looking for as far as lifestyle. Being young, single and understanding your work travel needs I might consider Evanston (first suburb north of the city). Being a college town (Northwestern) with plenty of cultural/recreation/dining/nightlife options of its own Evanston is still only a short train ride to Chicago and travel to/from the North Shore/Lake County is easy from here (avoiding most city traffic). The 'L' and commuter trains are very convenient and have multiple stops in town and are typically walkable from the many residential areas.

Like the previous poster I would recommend renting before buying wherever you decide to live. I don't have a good handle on local rents but I have a feeling they aren't nearly as expensive or difficult to come by here as in comparable large metros with many student/young-professional-friendly options nearby.

You'll certainly find cheaper options slightly further afield from Chicago and further from the lake (Skokie/Morton Grove/Niles and north into Lake County) so your desire to live close to the city and in a more urban area is key to this decision.

Best of luck - I think you'll like it here - especially if you're already accustomed to Midwest winters! The rest of the year certainly makes up for it! :)
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. --John C. Bogle
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

I grew up in the city proper, then moved away. My family relocated to the middle of the triangle you describe. That's not the city, that's the ultimate Midwest suburbia. I visit there frequently. My 33 year old single nephew lives there and he struggles a bit with social life. He lived in the city downtown, which has a lot of social options, but it was just impossibly expensive for him.

Here's my opinion:
- Rent first
- Locate somewhere in the south area of your triangle because it gives you access to:
+ Airport
+ Metra or CTA so you can access the city proper other than by car

Pay attention to where you end up. Sounds like you have a gym stipend and that may be important? Check out gyms. Do you like nature? There are some nice forest preserves worth living close to for running or walking. It all depends on your interests.

And of course, transportation. Don't underestimate suburban northside traffic. Really. It can be brutal, so proximity to clients is important.

EDIT: another post crossed as I wrote this. I lived close to Evanston and if I moved back, that would be a cool place to end up. It was cool 40 years ago, ahead of the curve. It is a nice suggestion for social life. I totally agree that much depends on the desire for living an urban vibe as a single person or something else.

However, remember your client base. That's pretty far south in your triangle. You will encounter travel hassles. I know it is against the grain of city traffic, but do not underestimate N. Cook and S. Lake county traffic. Surprisingly difficult at times.
bob60014

Post by bob60014 »

Agree, rent first. As far as where to live, initially I would look at a location that provides easy access to the facilities you'll be traveling to, until you become familiar with the lay of the land. I've lived here all my life and can say its much different being here full time compared to being a tourist.

Another thing to consider, what are your other interests?
FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce »

Definitely rent. Even if you plan to stay in Chicago long term, there are so many great neighborhoods to explore before figuring out where to settle. Due to your travel, I would look at the neighborhoods with easy access to 90/94. West loop might be out of your price range, but look at (generally to the north and getting less expensive) Wicker Park all the way west to Humboldt Park (gets a bit dicey West of the park), Bucktown, West Town, Ukrainian Village, Logan Square. Lots of entertainment for young single folks. Further north gets somewhat quieter, but Avondale and Old Irving are nice. Pilsen, south of downtown, has become a popular area.

Great job on your savings so far!
Topic Author
pechy2925

Post by pechy2925 »

Thanks everyone for the replies - I'm going to address the last few here. I want to be somewhere with a solid social scene. I'm willing to commute potentially longer on the days I need to than live within "ultimate Midwest suburbia" :) Evanston I wasn't considering but will put on my list to look into. Thank you!

My interests include the gym, running, trying new restaurants, art museum. West Loop, Bucktown, Ukrainian Village - I haven't looked yet either. So far, River North and up to Wrigleyville. It seems as if some places in River North/DT have deals of up to 2 months free rent. COVID impact? Not sure but regardless, some appear to be affordable for my price range. Only worry would be the commutes some days.
InvestorHowie

Post by InvestorHowie »

pechy2925 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:33 am Thanks everyone for the replies - I'm going to address the last few here. I want to be somewhere with a solid social scene. I'm willing to commute potentially longer on the days I need to than live within "ultimate Midwest suburbia" :) Evanston I wasn't considering but will put on my list to look into. Thank you!

My interests include the gym, running, trying new restaurants, art museum. West Loop, Bucktown, Ukrainian Village - I haven't looked yet either. So far, River North and up to Wrigleyville. It seems as if some places in River North/DT have deals of up to 2 months free rent. COVID impact? Not sure but regardless, some appear to be affordable for my price range. Only worry would be the commutes some days.
You're listing off some of the most popular and expensive neighborhoods in the city and I understand the draw at your age. I think you only missed Logan Square and Pilsen. :wink: You might find that you can find a much less expensive apartment just 2-3 'L' stops from where you want to hang out. And with a homebase somewhere like Evanston you'd find yourself a 20-30 minute commuter train (Metra) ride from the Loop and a very reasonable drive to most of the Northside.

In the city proper - Northside neighborhoods that are lovely in and of themselves and also an easy trip to more popular areas I might recommend Lincoln Square, Ravenswood, North Center and Andersonville. Think of the 'next' neighborhood people might move after starting where everyone else goes in their 20's - but they aren't ready to escape to the 'burbs. A touch quieter but still with all the city amenities and conveniences.
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy. --John C. Bogle
mlipps

Post by mlipps »

Neighborhood suggestion: Avondale is very up and coming but not quite as lively as Logan Square yet, while also being more accessible to the interstate than the neighborhoods closer to the lake.

Resource suggestion: check out reddit.com/r/Chicago. You’ll get much better local advice there on possibilities of where to live than on a general forum such as bogleheads.

Definitely rent at first.
Globalviewer58

Post by Globalviewer58 »

Take time to understand the parking availability where you plan to rent. Street parking in Chicago is competitive on a good day and a major challenge when it snows 2” or more. Some areas are No Parking December 1 through April 1. Here’s a link to City of Chicago winter parking info: https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/depts/s ... tions.html
Tubes

Post by Tubes »

Globalviewer58 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:33 am Take time to understand the parking availability where you plan to rent. Street parking in Chicago is competitive on a good day and a major challenge when it snows 2” or more. Some areas are No Parking December 1 through April 1. Here’s a link to City of Chicago winter parking info: https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/depts/s ... tions.html
And as much as one may love Wrigleyville, parking there has extra challenges over and above the normal Chicago challenges.

We lived far north side near Evanston. The great thing about living there was that Wrigleyville was just a short train ride away. Of course, the only reason to go there back then (late 70s) was the baseball because the neighborhood was otherwise bombed out. Today there's a lot more reasons to go.
FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce »

pechy2925 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:33 am Thanks everyone for the replies - I'm going to address the last few here. I want to be somewhere with a solid social scene. I'm willing to commute potentially longer on the days I need to than live within "ultimate Midwest suburbia" :) Evanston I wasn't considering but will put on my list to look into. Thank you!

I guess it also depends what variation of social scene you're looking for. Painting with a very, very broad brush: if you like frats, then keep looking River North up to Wrigleyville (plus west loop). If you like pour-over coffee, craft beer, and bikes, look more along the neighborhoods in the I-90/94 corridor I mentioned above, including Pilsen.

Living in River North sounds awful to me, but I'm not a single 29 year old and never was. West Loop / Fulton Market is a major restaurant scene. But any of these neighborhoods have great food, really - probably moreso in the 90/94 neighborhoods than the ones heading up to Wrigley.

The 606 is a good running trail (Bucktown and westward), but crowded on weekends. The lake shore, obviously, is great for running (rules out the 90/94 neighborhoods, but livinig near the lake and parks along the lake has its own benefits). The north branch river walk connecting to the north branch trail is also great, but the neighborhoods where you can get to it quickly might be a bit too quiet for you. More affordable, though. Don't plan to run on the downtown riverwalk unless you like dodging crowds.
Topic Author
pechy2925

Post by pechy2925 »

InvestorHowie wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:51 am You're listing off some of the most popular and expensive neighborhoods in the city and I understand the draw at your age. I think you only missed Logan Square and Pilsen. :wink: You might find that you can find a much less expensive apartment just 2-3 'L' stops from where you want to hang out. And with a homebase somewhere like Evanston you'd find yourself a 20-30 minute commuter train (Metra) ride from the Loop and a very reasonable drive to most of the Northside.

In the city proper - Northside neighborhoods that are lovely in and of themselves and also an easy trip to more popular areas I might recommend Lincoln Square, Ravenswood, North Center and Andersonville. Think of the 'next' neighborhood people might move after starting where everyone else goes in their 20's - but they aren't ready to escape to the 'burbs. A touch quieter but still with all the city amenities and conveniences.
Yeah, I am :) It's partly suggestions that have made to me from a few colleuges and the other half is me being a bit naive. I had previously lived in Minneapolis in what is considered the "ritzy" part of the city and realized it wasn't too difficult to afford with a little bit of legwork finding a spot. I do understand Chicago is a completely different animal than Minneapolis and when people say expensive, they mean expensive. I'm not high maintenance, I promise - :D
Topic Author
pechy2925

Post by pechy2925 »

FoolMeOnce wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:46 am I guess it also depends what variation of social scene you're looking for. Painting with a very, very broad brush: if you like frats, then keep looking River North up to Wrigleyville (plus west loop). If you like pour-over coffee, craft beer, and bikes, look more along the neighborhoods in the I-90/94 corridor I mentioned above, including Pilsen.

Living in River North sounds awful to me, but I'm not a single 29 year old and never was. West Loop / Fulton Market is a major restaurant scene. But any of these neighborhoods have great food, really - probably moreso in the 90/94 neighborhoods than the ones heading up to Wrigley.

The 606 is a good running trail (Bucktown and westward), but crowded on weekends. The lake shore, obviously, is great for running (rules out the 90/94 neighborhoods, but livinig near the lake and parks along the lake has its own benefits). The north branch river walk connecting to the north branch trail is also great, but the neighborhoods where you can get to it quickly might be a bit too quiet for you. More affordable, though. Don't plan to run on the downtown riverwalk unless you like dodging crowds.
I'm probably more of the pour-over coffee, craft beer neighborhood guy. The frat life has passed me some time ago. Thanks for the input!
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

Tubes wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 9:04 am
Globalviewer58 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 8:33 am Take time to understand the parking availability where you plan to rent. Street parking in Chicago is competitive on a good day and a major challenge when it snows 2” or more. Some areas are No Parking December 1 through April 1. Here’s a link to City of Chicago winter parking info: https://www.chicago.gov/city/en/depts/s ... tions.html
And as much as one may love Wrigleyville, parking there has extra challenges over and above the normal Chicago challenges.

We lived far north side near Evanston. The great thing about living there was that Wrigleyville was just a short train ride away. Of course, the only reason to go there back then (late 70s) was the baseball because the neighborhood was otherwise bombed out. Today there's a lot more reasons to go.
Get a motorcycle for the summers (park it back home in the Midwest winter). Practically unlimited and mostly free street parking in the city/neighborhoods. You'll notice a lot of bikes and mopeds park between the curb and the no parking that-a-way sign (hence there's about a 6 foot gap that sign doesn't cover. When I lived there a decade ago, motorcycles were also exempt from neighborhood parking fees which was nice going to friends that lived in Southport/wicker park/andersonville/etc.
dcw213

Post by dcw213 »

I would strongly recommend checking out Lincoln Square. Cheaper than the places you are looking amd far enough north so you can get to your places without highway. Great low key neighborhood with a lot going on and access to everything.

You should absolutely rent until you know what you will be doing longer term.
hotscot

Post by hotscot »

'and decided to switch careers to Safety.'

What does this mean?
Orangutan

Post by Orangutan »

I am your age. I lived in Chicago for several years before moving to NYC this past year. It's a good choice. I think Chicago is the best all-around city in the country.

Limit your search to downtown. Rent for a year and then reassess. If I were to move back, I would live in either Lakeshore East, River North, Streeterville, or West Loop. I would also consider Gold Coast or Lincoln Park.

Do not move to: The loop, anything further north than Lincoln Park, anything west of the Kennedy (besides west loop; I also love Bucktown but it's better if you're in a relationship).

If you follow the above, as a 29 year old, you'll be in the best position to date, eat, and enjoy the city.

There are a ton of high-rise buildings offering deals. The Chicago rental market isn't all that expensive anyways. What is your take-home? What is your budget? Do you have a car?

If you have other questions, you can PM me (or just ask here). I'm very familiar with specific neighborhoods, buildings (and building quality), and areas down to the block.
Detroittl

Post by Detroittl »

Wicker park or Bucktown or Ukrainian. Anywhere near the blue line for airport or get around the city. Easy parking in most of Bucktown too.
FoolMeOnce

Post by FoolMeOnce »

Orangutan wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:22 pm I am your age. I lived in Chicago for several years before moving to NYC this past year. It's a good choice. I think Chicago is the best all-around city in the country.

Limit your search to downtown. Rent for a year and then reassess. If I were to move back, I would live in either Lakeshore East, River North, Streeterville, or West Loop. I would also consider Gold Coast or Lincoln Park.

Do not move to: The loop, anything further north than Lincoln Park, anything west of the Kennedy (besides west loop; I also love Bucktown but it's better if you're in a relationship).

If you follow the above, as a 29 year old, you'll be in the best position to date, eat, and enjoy the city.

There are a ton of high-rise buildings offering deals. The Chicago rental market isn't all that expensive anyways. What is your take-home? What is your budget? Do you have a car?

If you have other questions, you can PM me (or just ask here). I'm very familiar with specific neighborhoods, buildings (and building quality), and areas down to the block.
Different people have different tastes, but personally there's no stage in my life where I would have wanted to live in any of those neighborhoods except Lincoln Park. Streeterville is sterile, overrun with tourists, and you have to deal with ambulance noise because you're close to the hospital. From what I can tell, the bar scene in River North disproportionately made up of 50-something divorced men dating 20-something women. The Gold Coast has beautiful old mansions, but does not seem like a great place for a 29-year-old. Close to the park, though.

But, again, different tastes. This is a good reason why the OP should rent to have time to explore the city and figure out what suits the OP's personal tastes.
LittleMaggieMae

Post by LittleMaggieMae »

Your job isn't in Chicago. It's in the northern suburbs of Chicago. :) Sorry. I'm feeling snarky.

I would definitely rent. If you are expecting to spend time in the City doing fun things - I'd recommend looking at the various Metra and CTA lines that go out to the suburbs near where you will be working. I admit I agree with the suggestion to start with Evanston (access to the City, the Northern Lakefront and the Northern Suburbs) and go South from there. The further North you go - the longer the drive time will be to do things in the City or South of the City.

If you are an hour and 1/2 from Chicago - if you are already North, NorthWest of the City - why move?

The City by car from Evanston is a good hour drive from the time you get into your car until you pull into where you are going and get out of your car - at rush hour.

Living in the City and routinely driving to the Triangle you have outlined - gives you quite a commute. You will need a rental with a place to park your car... that complicates things. Getting to the Airports (big or little) from downtown is easy - public transportation wise - but if you are the kind of person who is always running late - it might be a challenge to make that work.

(FYI - the City of Chicago is 234 sq. miles big. The 'burbs to North and West are big sqr miles too. There's a lot of ground to cover and a lot of variety in housing and lifestyles.)

Basically just saying - renting is your friend. I'd probably rent so that getting to and from my job was easier than harder. That way I could explore other options once I got the hang of the job, the commute, and had time to figure out what I wanted to do in my free time - and then move to someplace that fit better.
Orangutan

Post by Orangutan »

FoolMeOnce wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:20 pm
Orangutan wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:22 pm I am your age. I lived in Chicago for several years before moving to NYC this past year. It's a good choice. I think Chicago is the best all-around city in the country.

Different people have different tastes, but personally there's no stage in my life where I would have wanted to live in any of those neighborhoods except Lincoln Park. Streeterville is sterile, overrun with tourists, and you have to deal with ambulance noise because you're close to the hospital. From what I can tell, the bar scene in River North disproportionately made up of 50-something divorced men dating 20-something women. The Gold Coast has beautiful old mansions, but does not seem like a great place for a 29-year-old. Close to the park, though.

But, again, different tastes. This is a good reason why the OP should rent to have time to explore the city and figure out what suits the OP's personal tastes.
Fair points. However, those areas have the most concentrated number of young professionals and transplants, restaurants, etc. Everyone I know lives in those areas. All of my dates lived, and took place, in those neighborhoods. If one is a more settled Chicagoan, then further from the core of the city may make sense. But for a young transplant, I can't imagine Pilsen or Logan Square being a good entry point to the city - especially with the uptick in crime.

Anyhow, I most recently lived in Bucktown and it was my favorite spot. But I was in a relationship and it's a more "settled in" neighborhood full of couples and young families. Wicker Park may be a good middle ground between Bucktown and Downtown.
TheNightsToCome

Post by TheNightsToCome »

pechy2925 wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 6:36 am Hello all,

I guess, this post will be seeking advice on three questions: Where would you live if you were a 29 year old single person in Chicago? Secondly, what suggestions would you have for rent vs. buy? Lastly, how much could I stretch my budget?
You should definitely rent. A single person will probably be happier in the city than the suburbs, holding all else equal. I was a single renter in River North, and I have fond memories. However, I had a 20 minute walk to work. Think carefully before you lock in a long commute.
poker27

Post by poker27 »

I live in the wicker park/ UK village area. Love the neighborhood, I walk to my gym, 30+ bars and restaurants, few minutes walk to the blue line that gets you downtown or to ohare. I would highly recommend the area.

However…. I use to commute to the burbs daily for 6-9months. It was pretty darn bad, and I couldn’t do it long term. If you don’t need to do the typical 9-5 commute, that would make it better, but it ain’t fun. Commute in the morning wasn’t horrible, but 2+ hours home gets old quick.

If you need access to 94, be realistic about how far you are from the highway. I like the ravenswood/uptown area, but it can take forever to get to 94.

Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

There isn't a ton to go off of, but my suggestions are Bucktown, Logan Square, Wicker Park and North Center. Those areas are close to just about anything you'd want, but not as congested and a little less expensive than River North, Downtown, West Loop, Lincoln Park and Lakeview. I am a lifelong Chicagoan who grew up in the suburbs but have lived in the city 25+ years. I have lived in Lincoln Park, Old Town, Bucktown, Wicker Park and Logan Square.

If you didn't need a car, I might have different suggestions but it sounds like you do for your job. The areas I suggested are not too far from expressways since it seems getting to clients is important.

The north areas generally make it hard to get to the airport or expressways directly.
Topic Author
pechy2925

Post by pechy2925 »

hotscot wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 2:11 pm 'and decided to switch careers to Safety.'

What does this mean?
Environmental Health and Safety - probably was not necessary to add into post.
Topic Author
pechy2925

Post by pechy2925 »

FoolMeOnce wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:20 pm

This is good intel. Helps with making a decision on where I may like to be. Thank you!
Topic Author
pechy2925

Post by pechy2925 »

LittleMaggieMae wrote: Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:35 pm Your job isn't in Chicago. It's in the northern suburbs of Chicago. :) Sorry. I'm feeling snarky.

I would definitely rent. If you are expecting to spend time in the City doing fun things - I'd recommend looking at the various Metra and CTA lines that go out to the suburbs near where you will be working. I admit I agree with the suggestion to start with Evanston (access to the City, the Northern Lakefront and the Northern Suburbs) and go South from there. The further North you go - the longer the drive time will be to do things in the City or South of the City.

If you are an hour and 1/2 from Chicago - if you are already North, NorthWest of the City - why move?

The City by car from Evanston is a good hour drive from the time you get into your car until you pull into where you are going and get out of your car - at rush hour.

Living in the City and routinely driving to the Triangle you have outlined - gives you quite a commute. You will need a rental with a place to park your car... that complicates things. Getting to the Airports (big or little) from downtown is easy - public transportation wise - but if you are the kind of person who is always running late - it might be a challenge to make that work.

(FYI - the City of Chicago is 234 sq. miles big. The 'burbs to North and West are big sqr miles too. There's a lot of ground to cover and a lot of variety in housing and lifestyles.)

Basically just saying - renting is your friend. I'd probably rent so that getting to and from my job was easier than harder. That way I could explore other options once I got the hang of the job, the commute, and had time to figure out what I wanted to do in my free time - and then move to someplace that fit better.
Yeah, it's alright. I think it's something you have to anticipate on these forums. I try my best to minimize the chances..but here we are haha You put a :happy so I don't take it as malicious :D Let's agree to disagree on whether it's really in Chicago.

If this helps change anyone's opinion on whether being more south is reasonable. 1) It would never be more than 1 client in a single day. If I do travel to a client, it's one location and back. After about 6-8 months working along side other coworkers on their clients, I will obtain my own set of clients that will be tailored to proximity of my home base as best as the company can accommodate. There are chances I will need to head to west side as well since there are manufactures on that side of the city but not in as high concentration as the north. Highest probability would be that I spend most my time in northern suburbs. I can handle 10-12 hour days 2-3 days out of the week if I have my weekends and guaranteed M and F's at home with potentially one additional day WFH.