Wash sale question

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
DCA2021

Wash sale question

Post by DCA2021 »

Simple question after discussion with friend…

Scenario 1: I buy 10 shares of FB today at $100 sell all 10 shares at $90 in 5 days for a loss of $100. Is this a wash sale?

Scenario 2: same as scenario 1 but I sell 5 shares instead of all 10 for a total loss of $50. Is this a wash sale?
Silk McCue

Re: Wash sale question

Post by Silk McCue »

Neither scenario is a Wash Sale. They are simply short term losses.

Here’s a Wiki on Tax Loss Harvesting that discusses Wash Sale scenarios.

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Tax_loss_harvesting

Cheers
arcticpineapplecorp.

Post by arcticpineapplecorp. »

do you have any replacement shares for either the 10 you sold in scenario 1 or the 5 you sold in scenario 2?

if you bought no replacement shares within the 30 days prior to or 30 days following when the 10 or 5 shares were sold, respectively, then there can not be a wash sale.
It's hard to accept the truth when the lies were exactly what you wanted to hear. Investing is simple, but not easy. Buy, hold & rebalance low cost index funds & manage taxable events. Asking Portfolio Questions | Wiki
iceport

Post by iceport »

DCA2021 wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 8:19 pm Simple question after discussion with friend…

Scenario 1: I buy 10 shares of FB today at $100 sell all 10 shares at $90 in 5 days for a loss of $100. Is this a wash sale?

Scenario 2: same as scenario 1 but I sell 5 shares instead of all 10 for a total loss of $50. Is this a wash sale?
About 90% of anything you need to know about wash sales is summarized clearly and concisely in the first five of the articles on wash sales at Fairmark.com: The Wash Sale Rule.

The fourth article, Wash Sales and Replacement Stock, addresses the question arcticpineapplecorp. posed. The thing is, it's not always obvious what constitutes replacement stock — or more importantly, what the IRS considers replacement stock.

The examples in the fourth article should provide clear answers to the OP's questions.
"Discipline matters more than allocation.” |—| "In finance, if you’re certain of anything, you’re out of your mind." ─William Bernstein