Leaving first job for short-term consulting position?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Baxxter

Leaving first job for short-term consulting position?

Post by Baxxter »

His Age: 30
Her Age: 30

His Salary: 70k
Her Salary: 72k

Emergency: 60k

His 401k: 70k
Her 401k: 20k
CDs @ 2.5% about to mature: 30k
Taxable: 30k

Annual expenses: 55k
Mortgage (15 yr @ 2.8% on ~190k): 21k
Everything else: 34k

I currently have a decent quality of life job at a small boutique environmental consultancy. This is my first job out of graduate school. The work is fine, but I'm doing other people's work, I'm not in a position to bring in the work that 'I want to do' - and I feel that my technical skills are languishing. I've been in this position for 4 years, and it's had its ups and downs. The company has only been profitable 2 of the 4 years I've been there. There is profit sharing, during good years it's been about 2k/yr for me. There are some other perks in compensation: $1200 contribution to HSA, 4% match on 401k, which I've maxed out for the last couple of years, I'm fully vested.

I've struggled mentally with the work. I'm an active and productive person, but suffer occasionally from existential challenges. The consulting work seems at times to be designed for inefficiency - I don't feel like I'm doing my best work. But I also think that's a mindset thing that I might be stuck with.

I've been looking for a change, but the company culture is very strong and it feels a little too intimate, like I'm leaving the 'family' (also, they would have trouble covering my work until they got a new hire).

I've recently been given a job offer. The job is a short-term contract, through June 2023, with a salary of 110k. Job is much more technical in nature. It is a pass through contract to a government agency.

I'm actually attracted to the short length of the contract. In 2023 I can have a bit more freedom between positions, either take an extended leave or, if we're lucky and decent with the planning, we may plan to have a first child around that time. The position, which is in public health and tech, would also open me up to a much larger market when I begin searching for a job in 2023 - not to mention my (more marketable) technical skills would be sharper.

Some risk of course in taking the short-term job.

I'm afraid that staying in my current position will be a comfy-ish dead-end (at least until I can start bringing in work, who knows, 10 years from now?). I don't know if I can do consulting in this capacity for the long haul. Is this just what all jobs are like? My current company has also gone out of there way to accommodate me through cultural niceties (mentor position for new hires, etc.) and benefits (tuition reimbursement).

Should I stick with the sure thing or move on? Has anyone had a bad experience with short-term contract work?
sailaway

Re: Leaving first job for short-term consulting position?

Post by sailaway »

This sounds win/win and you are just having a hard time leaving the family. DH is having a similar issue at megacorp, but at some point, you have to be selfish and move on. It isn't healthy to sacrifice for an employer, especially a so so one.
2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy »

Don’t let leaving someone hold you back. You need to look out for yourself since companies will not do the same for you.

In terms of taking a short term, I guess that’s ok, but right now we’re in the middle or perhaps the beginning of the end in a hiring boom. And environmental jobs in particular have very strong negotiation power.

I would try to find something long term and make a change there instead of short term. 2023 is just long enough for the job market to cool when you’re looking again.
You can do anything you want in life. The rub is that there are consequences.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

Baxxter wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:49 am His Age: 30
Her Age: 30

His Salary: 70k
Her Salary: 72k

Emergency: 60k

His 401k: 70k
Her 401k: 20k
CDs @ 2.5% about to mature: 30k
Taxable: 30k

Annual expenses: 55k
Mortgage (15 yr @ 2.8% on ~190k): 21k
Everything else: 34k

I currently have a decent quality of life job at a small boutique environmental consultancy. This is my first job out of graduate school. The work is fine, but I'm doing other people's work, I'm not in a position to bring in the work that 'I want to do' - and I feel that my technical skills are languishing. I've been in this position for 4 years, and it's had its ups and downs. The company has only been profitable 2 of the 4 years I've been there. There is profit sharing, during good years it's been about 2k/yr for me. There are some other perks in compensation: $1200 contribution to HSA, 4% match on 401k, which I've maxed out for the last couple of years, I'm fully vested.

I've struggled mentally with the work. I'm an active and productive person, but suffer occasionally from existential challenges. The consulting work seems at times to be designed for inefficiency - I don't feel like I'm doing my best work. But I also think that's a mindset thing that I might be stuck with.

I've been looking for a change, but the company culture is very strong and it feels a little too intimate, like I'm leaving the 'family' (also, they would have trouble covering my work until they got a new hire).

I've recently been given a job offer. The job is a short-term contract, through June 2023, with a salary of 110k. Job is much more technical in nature. It is a pass through contract to a government agency.

I'm actually attracted to the short length of the contract. In 2023 I can have a bit more freedom between positions, either take an extended leave or, if we're lucky and decent with the planning, we may plan to have a first child around that time. The position, which is in public health and tech, would also open me up to a much larger market when I begin searching for a job in 2023 - not to mention my (more marketable) technical skills would be sharper.

Some risk of course in taking the short-term job.

I'm afraid that staying in my current position will be a comfy-ish dead-end (at least until I can start bringing in work, who knows, 10 years from now?). I don't know if I can do consulting in this capacity for the long haul. Is this just what all jobs are like? My current company has also gone out of there way to accommodate me through cultural niceties (mentor position for new hires, etc.) and benefits (tuition reimbursement).

Should I stick with the sure thing or move on? Has anyone had a bad experience with short-term contract work?
One thing to watch out for is with the government work is whether your position is essential. Should we encounter a government shutdown, you may find your funding cut off. With the clowns (on both sides) we have running things, this is a non-zero possibility.

The Gingrich/Clinton showdown in the mid 90s actually torpedoed a research project I was working on in college. It was a NASA-funded satellite project. Because of the shutdown, we temporarily lost funding. More crucially, though, it caused us to miss our launch window since we needed to go up with a partner satellite. While we did find a new partner, the launch vehicle was different and required a complete redesign to increase the structural integrity. All that rework wound up for naught because by the time that was done, another country launched a satellite for the exact same purpose, essentially scooping us.

The satellite sat in a barn for the better part of 20 years before being cleaned up and put in a museum.
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

Baxxter wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:49 am I'm actually attracted to the short length of the contract. In 2023 I can have a bit more freedom between positions, either take an extended leave or, if we're lucky and decent with the planning, we may plan to have a first child around that time. The position, which is in public health and tech, would also open me up to a much larger market when I begin searching for a job in 2023 - not to mention my (more marketable) technical skills would be sharper.

[snip]

I'm afraid that staying in my current position will be a comfy-ish dead-end (at least until I can start bringing in work, who knows, 10 years from now?).
I think you’ve made a good case for making the change.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

The change sounds good for you.

Will the new consulting job allow you take on additional consulting jobs during the contract term? If yes (and assuming you want the extra work/pay ), when you give your notice you can offer to consult not to exceed xx hours per week at your current employer until they hire your replacement. Be sure this is a formal written arrangement with scope, higher hourly rate, payment terms, advance deposit, etc.
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

Will this be a 1099 consulting position or a W-2 consulting position? If this is a W-2 position, then the new company could prohibit outside employment.
If a 1099 gig, then you are expected to hold yourself out for employment to all comers.

Ralph
Topic Author
Baxxter

Post by Baxxter »

HomeStretch wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:11 pm The change sounds good for you.

Will the new consulting job allow you take on additional consulting jobs during the contract term? If yes (and assuming you want the extra work/pay ), when you give your notice you can offer to consult not to exceed xx hours per week at your current employer until they hire your replacement. Be sure this is a formal written arrangement with scope, higher hourly rate, payment terms, advance deposit, etc.
ralph124cf wrote: Wed Oct 20, 2021 10:03 pm Will this be a 1099 consulting position or a W-2 consulting position? If this is a W-2 position, then the new company could prohibit outside employment.
If a 1099 gig, then you are expected to hold yourself out for employment to all comers.

Ralph
Good questions. My current employer is open to moonlighting - I think they'll need the support until they're able to bring someone else on, my inclination is to suggest 10 hours max per week.The New position is a W2 position, but I haven't read anything in the materials that I have on hand about a prohibiting outside employment. I will review the materials again with an eye for that.

I've been offered the job, have tentatively accepted and have told my supervisors at my current job. Nothing but support but a bit disappointing for them, I am hoping that the door stays open in case I have remorse after the contract position. We'll see - thanks for the advice!
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Congratulations on the new position!
Stinky

Post by Stinky »

You’ve made a good choice.

Congratulations.
Retired life insurance company financial executive who sincerely believes that ”It’s a GREAT day to be alive!”