Car Damaged - Enough to report to Insurer?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
ChicagoJon

Car Damaged - Enough to report to Insurer?

Post by ChicagoJon »

My partner & I share a 2018 Subaru Outback. I'm the legal owner, insurance is in my name, and she is a listed driver on the policy. Used for her daily commute, and our weekend trips. Been with AllState 7 years since moving to CA; have full coverage with deductibles of $500 collision/$250 comprehensive. We are (were) accident free for many years; have 2 prior claims for cracked windshield replacements (not alone among Outback owners here).

Recently, she side-swiped a structural column pulling out of a parking space at work. Driver's door has notable damage. She braked before the mirror was damaged and the door closes properly. Body shop provided a $3400 repair estimate ($1400 parts, $2000 labor). Shop said the door shell must be replaced and paint blended across entire side.

At this cost, should we file with AllState? I'm trying to balance the nearly $3,000 recovery against potential premium increase. Should I be concerned about this following on top of the prior windshield claims? Our premium is $1060 every six months. We have the cash to pay for it. But covering it out-of-pocket also risks any increased costs if more damage seen once they remove the door shell.

Bogleheads, what do you think?

(My thanks to Stinky and all the responders to this thread, viewtopic.php?f=2&t=359938&newpost=6275089. It opened my eyes to the question of whether we should even file, so I figured I'd also ask...Edited to simplify my post.)
willthrill81

Re: Car Damaged - Enough to report to Insurer?

Post by willthrill81 »

Does your policy have 'accident forgiveness' or something similar that would apply in this situation? If so, then your premiums might be unaffected if you claim.

Apart from that, you should expect your premiums to go up, but it's probably anybody's guess as to how much. I imagine that the premium increase would be less than the $2,900 you would collect from filing, but the difference might not be much. Still, if the two would be equivalent, would you rather have a free $2,900 'loan' that is repaid over the next 2-3 years or not?
The Sensible Steward
bltn

Post by bltn »

I would ask my agent.
sport

Post by sport »

Is it possible to get a used door from a wrecking yard? I would think that would cost less than $1400. Ask the body shop about this possibility.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

If you’re unwilling to use your $500 deductible insurance for $3400 in damage I would increase your deductible to $3400 (or whatever closest available) or drop collision altogether.

Me? I’d file a claim and if they really jacked up my rates I’d drop collision and/or look for insurance elsewhere. $2900 is a lot of money to spend hoping your rates don’t increase.
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

This is why I recommend increasing deductible as high as possible.
Topic Author
ChicagoJon

Post by ChicagoJon »

Thank you all - great points made. I'll call our agent. Agree, it's a lot of cover ourselves, and this amount probably puts it over the line. We'll have options if our rates raise significantly. The other follow-up is the conversation to have with my partner: if we're only willing to have a $500 deductible, then we ought to be prepared to use and understand the consequences. But if we are both willing to self-finance far more of the cost in such accidents, much better to adjust our insurance coverage. It was a quick decision as we were first moving, and basically left as a set it and forget it thing.
dogagility

Post by dogagility »

You say it's a cosmetic defect. I suggest not claiming, if you plan on driving this car into the ground anyway.
Make sure you check out my list of certifications. The list is short, and there aren't any. - Eric 0. from SMA
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

I'd claim it. If it were, say, $800 vs. a $500 deductible, I'd pay for it myself, but at $3,400 vs. $500 deductible, you're out of pocket a good $2,900. That's worth claiming and why you have collision insurance. That's also why I don't carry collision and comprehensive insurance on cars older than 5 years and prefer to self-insure. But, you paid for it, so might as well use it. I doubt a single claim is going to jack your rates too much, but as others have said, ask your agent. If the rates go up, drop the collision and comprehensive since your car is aging, less valuable, and now has damage history.
Candor

Post by Candor »

I would definitely have the shop look for a used/lkq door which may be significantly cheaper. You can have the shop transfer all the internal workings of your door to the used one and make sure it is the same year or newer if you like. It will also lessen the chance of any hidden damage being an issue if you have a used door at hand.

This link will give you an idea what used parts are available in your area and their cost.

https://www.car-part.com/
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD