AirPods Pro or e-bike through FSA?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Nuestroro

AirPods Pro or e-bike through FSA?

Post by Nuestroro »

Has anyone tried buying AirPods Pro with FSA funds? If so, were you successful? Did the FSA administrator require a statement of medical need from a physician?

The AirPods Pro function as hearing aids. Hearing aids are eligible expenses for a healthcare FSA. So AirPods Pro might be eligible expenses. But I’m not sure because the AirPods are much more than hearing aids.

Similar question: my father is an arthritic who refuses to act like one. He’s legally disabled—handicapped tags, etc.—but refuses to get a mobility scooter. I suggested he look into an e-bike to get around and he liked that idea. He asked if he could buy it with FSA funds. Has anyone tried?

Thanks in advance!
H-Town

Re: AirPods Pro or e-bike through FSA?

Post by H-Town »

No, and no.

But you can try. Worst case is that you just lose out the tax portion of the purchase price.

Are you trying to used up FSA balance?
Time is the ultimate currency.
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

Seems like a bit of a stretch on the ear buds and definitely no on the bicycle as that is a non medical contributor to overall health/well being and could potentially cut down on medical costs....same with anything non-surgical pertaining to weight loss, supplements, gym memberships, etc... you get the idea.
sailaway

Post by sailaway »

I didn't realize the hearing aid function was up and running on the airpods, but it is my understanding that they still do not meet medical standards.

I also don't think an ebike is an appropriate substitute for a mobility scooter. An ebike is still a bike and requires stability and strength in a way that a mobility scooter does not.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

Hearing aid wearer here. Rest assured that air pods don’t act as hearing aids. Hearing aids do much more than amplify sound. They also offer clarification & are configured to match an individual’s range of hearing loss. Nice try though.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

Philips hearing aids at Costco are about $1800 including charger. They are Bluetooth & you can stream music/audio & battery life is about 25 hours to start. Also, I’m sure they are FSA/HSA eligible. And they are really hearing aids.
Topic Author
Nuestroro

Post by Nuestroro »

Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts. I realize I’m stretching here. And I’m happy to be the Guinea pig on the AirPods. For mild hearing loss, I’d rather try my luck with $200 AirPods than $1800 Philips hearing aids.

Incidentally, at least one medical supply store sells e-bikes. http://www.your-medical-store.com/store ... ered-Bikes. They claim it’s FSA-eligible, though it’s the FSA administrator that needs to agree.
Sam_957

Post by Sam_957 »

bradinsky wrote: Fri Oct 15, 2021 8:39 pm Hearing aid wearer here. Rest assured that air pods don’t act as hearing aids. Hearing aids do much more than amplify sound. They also offer clarification & are configured to match an individual’s range of hearing loss. Nice try though.
AirPods Pro can use an audiogram to adjust eq. They also offer background noise reduction and conversation booster for audio source in front of you. Probably not as good as dedicated units, but pretty cool.
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211218
My other vehicle is an index fund.
workingfornow

Post by workingfornow »

Don’t know about an ebike, but we were able to pay for a recumbent exercise bike from an FSA with a doctor’s letter of medical necessity
Shallowpockets

Post by Shallowpockets »

Nuestroro wrote: Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:06 am Thank you, everyone, for your thoughts. I realize I’m stretching here. And I’m happy to be the Guinea pig on the AirPods. For mild hearing loss, I’d rather try my luck with $200 AirPods than $1800 Philips hearing aids.

Incidentally, at least one medical supply store sells e-bikes. http://www.your-medical-store.com/store ... ered-Bikes. They claim it’s FSA-eligible, though it’s the FSA administrator that needs to agree.
At your first post you did not mention you had a mild hearing loss. You might consider that iPods and other headphones may be part of the problem as there seems to be an increase in hearing loss related to their use.