Back to tech at 50?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
humbledinvestor

Back to tech at 50?

Post by humbledinvestor »

Yet another career thread. Working for a megacorp at the moment, coming up on three years now. Currently in a role managing DevOps/Data Engineering teams. We use the latest and greatest, I am still quite technical. I interview every 2-3 years to challenge myself and keep things fresh. Only for roles that I want of course. I am being offered a role with a tech company, not FAANG. It is a pre-IPO data and analytics company. I have already worked for a FAANG in my early 40s, then two startups after that.

Of course the end decision is up to me, my question is this:

Wondering how many BHers about to turn 50 or 50 and above who have just joined a tech company?

I do have friends in my previous FAANG in their 50s, but they haven't left and gone back.
hotscot

Re: Back to tech at 50?

Post by hotscot »

FWIW
I started a tech company at 55. (Now 60)
It's been fantastic.
Topic Author
humbledinvestor

hotscot wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:48 pm FWIW
It's been fantastic.
Thank you! I get bored at megacorps. Even though we use the latest and greatest, sometimes the red tape/bureaucracy can make things boring. You learn more at a tech company.
SantaClaraSurfer

Post by SantaClaraSurfer »

I am over 50 in tech. Though my tech career course has been atypical, covering three companies in five years.

The best advice I've received regarding age and tech is this mindset:

"You are either working or retired. There is no young and old. If you are working in tech, your age is irrelevant. Blend in, hone your skills, be a valuable resource to your team. Collaborate. Land projects."

This mindset is not saying that there are not headwinds, obstacles, or impacts.

This mindset IS saying that if you focus on your age as a barrier, especially if you focus on your age relative to others, you are quite possibly not going to be able to accurately see and assess the landscape, including your opportunities.

This is, admittedly, not practical advice.

It is, however, in my experience, good advice.

As a practical matter, there are oodles of over 50 people working in technology making significant impacts, their work touches our lives every day.

There is no age limit to being excited about what you do and the impact of your work.
Carousel

Post by Carousel »

SantaClaraSurfer wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:38 pm ...

As a practical matter, there are oodles of over 50 people working in technology making significant impacts, their work touches our lives every day.

There is no age limit to being excited about what you do and the impact of your work.
Last edited by Carousel on Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
humbledinvestor

SantaClaraSurfer wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 6:38 pm I am over 50 in tech. Though my tech career course has been atypical, covering three companies in five years.

The best advice I've received regarding age and tech is this mindset:

"You are either working or retired. There is no young and old. If you are working in tech, your age is irrelevant. Blend in, hone your skills, be a valuable resource to your team. Collaborate. Land projects."

This mindset is not saying that there are not headwinds, obstacles, or impacts.

This mindset IS saying that if you focus on your age as a barrier, especially if you focus on your age relative to others, you are quite possibly not going to be able to accurately see and assess the landscape, including your opportunities.

This is, admittedly, not practical advice.

It is, however, in my experience, good advice.

Really awesome advice and this is my mindset but I wanted to see how others think. A good reason to switch back and forth is to work with the latest and greatest and be sharp and have a lot to contribute to a company.
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

hotscot wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 5:48 pm FWIW
It's been fantastic.
Very inspiring, thanks...
Invest when you have the money, sell when you need the money, for real life expenses...
CletusCaddy

Post by CletusCaddy »

My father is 62 and just became COO of a pre-IPO tech startup.

Tech is definitely not just for the young…

…that being said, I just accepted a job offer to work for a different pre-IPO tech startup with two 25 year old cofounders. 😂
Topic Author
humbledinvestor

CletusCaddy wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:10 pm My father is 62 and just became COO of a pre-IPO tech startup.

Tech is definitely not just for the young…

…that being said, I just accepted a job offer to work for a different pre-IPO tech startup with two 25 year old cofounders. 😂
Pretty cool!!