How do I plan relocation across states with family?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Alto Astral

How do I plan relocation across states with family?

Post by Alto Astral »

Him: Age=42, Income=400K (40% in stock)
Her: Age=37, Income=100K
Desired AA: 75/25

Emergency Funds - 4 months (at $4K/ month living expense)
5% $80K Savings Account (Interest=0.40%)

Investments (75% stock, 25% bond)
40% $670K his+her 401k (+19.5K/year, Stock Index Fund, ER=0.01%)
24% $260K his+her 401k (+19.5K/year, Bond Index Fund, ER=0.03%)
23% $480K his+her taxable (Stock Index Fund, ER=0.04%) (+8K/ month)
3% $70K his+her i-Bonds (+$10K/year/person)
5% $100K his+her Roth IRA (+$12k/year backdoor, Stock Index Fund, ER=0.04%)
0% $15K his Mega Backdoor Roth 401k(+$30K/year, Stock Index Fund)

100% $1.6m Total

Mortgage: $220K at 2.5% interest 30Y fixed (~$400k home value)
Tax: Married-Filing-Jointly, 35% Bracket
State: IL (State Tax=4.95%)
Kids: 8 years + 4 years

New home budget: 600K

Hi,
I am planning to move cities from Chicago to Austin with my family. I have these options:
1. Fly alone twice a month to Austin for 3 days at a time to view homes (round trip tickets ~200 + hotel stay)
2. Stay alone in Austin for 3 months while I view houses
3. Sell the Chicago house and rent with family in Austin for 1 year. View homes in leisure and then buy
4. Pick only new construction in Austin

Options 1&2:
Pros: minimal disruption to kids's school, do not need an interim change to rental
Cons: temporarily away from family for a bit. Not sure how long home search will take. Wife still needs to come down for house viewing. Will need to buy Austin house before selling the Chicago one. Need to redirect taxable savings away from investing towards a downpayment.

Option 3:
Pros: maximizes time with family. Chicago home sale can be used as downpayment for Austin
Cons: expensive due to renting. Kid needs to change schools twice (rental + final home) depending on where we buy.

Option 4: All pros of option 1, 2 and 3. Cons: new neighborhood, not as many trees around. More expensive?

What are your thoughts on these options? Are there any other strategies? Thanks for your time.

Alto
PoppyA

Re: How do I plan relocation across states with family?

Post by PoppyA »

Keep the family together by renting for a year. Try to target a rental area in a good school district that may include your future home. Talk to a realtor who can help you with this. Also talk to co-workers who can help with this.
bradinsky

Post by bradinsky »

If it were me, I would move to Austin & rent for a year. That would give you time to familiarize yourselves with the city & pick the area that suits your family best. Been there & done that. Good luck!
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

Be mission specific.
Think of going on deployment with laser sharp focus, no distractions, and getting the job done in the time allotted.
So. . . .
then
while considering #4 as you do #2.
Have the open option while doing the above to buy right away if "the right" property should come up for sale and both you and spouse are on board with it, and "know" that the location is right for you and your family with no regrets.
Why?
A plan is good but be able to take advantage of the golden opportunity if it comes up for you. And, don't hesitate when it does.

Have done this for a much much farther family move with more moving pieces.
j :D
Last edited by Sandtrap on Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
niagara_guy

Post by niagara_guy »

I was in the same boat many moons ago. We move far away, bought a house and hated it, stayed several years. In hind site we should have moved and rented.
RedDog

Post by RedDog »

niagara_guy wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:00 am I was in the same boat many moons ago. We move far away, bought a house and hated it, stayed several years. In hind site we should have moved and rented.
+1,000 up votes.

I’m retired military/moved my family a half dozen times…it takes time to scope out the schools, shopping, parks, unsavory areas, ect.
millervt

Post by millervt »

This seems like a great time to sell and a terrible time to buy a house (granted I am "timing the market" for houses but it sure seems like a bubble that might soften in the next year). And that's quite the change in terms of climate/culture/etc., i'd rent for a year also from that perspective.

Unless your kids have some characteristics for which moving is especially traumatic, at their ages they will easily adapt to a new situation.
DVMResident

Post by DVMResident »

:confused Is this for work?
If yes, do you have a relo package?
How long is this move for?

We’ve done it twice and going through round 3 (and hopefully last) round. We’re buying and this the process we’re going through.

Step #0. Don’t look at individual houses! It’s easy to look at houses and fall in love. Uninstall Redfin and Zillow. You can change anything about a house except the location. Location first!

Step #1. Narrow down to 4-6 neighbors. This should be easy based on commute radius and price.

If this is for work, consider not only commute to your current employer but also to potential future employers.

Step #2. Start reading real estate blogs (after getting burned by a friend’s recommendation I go by blogs more now, which are more holistic), crime reports, and school blogs. Also, looks at flooding and fire maps.

Narrow down to 2-3 neighbors.

Step #3. Start visiting neighbors alone for a week at a time. Include overnights. Walk the neighborhoods in day time and night. Tour local school (fortunately/unfortunately this is often virtual with COVID…though TX…). Ideally, your spouse is with you for the school tours. Chat with other parents on the tour.

I prefer Airbnb homes/townhomes over as they tend be in more residential areas.

This takes about a month.

Step #4. Narrow down to 2 neighborhoods. Repeat step #4 with your spouse.

Step #5. Start house hunting. You may now reinstall Redfin and Zillow.
Topic Author
Alto Astral

Post by Alto Astral »

DVMResident wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:38 am :confused Is this for work?
If yes, do you have a relo package?
How long is this move for?
Not exactly for work but future employment is promising. No relo package as my job is remote. Wife and I like the warmer weather. I’ve stayed in another part of TX a decade back. Wife is looking for a remote job so we can pull this off. Move is for the long term.
DVMResident wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:38 am I prefer Airbnb homes/townhomes over as they tend be in more residential areas.
Airbnb for renting or for finding neighborhoods?
DVMResident

Post by DVMResident »

Alto Astral wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 9:10 am
DVMResident wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:38 am I prefer Airbnb homes/townhomes over as they tend be in more residential areas.
Airbnb for renting or for finding neighborhoods?
The latter to 'test drive' neighborhoods for a week.

If this is not part of a relo, I would consider renting for a year like other's have said. You can slow walk this process given the school has already started for the 8 year old and aim for a spring/early summer 2022 move.

Personally, I would line up a job before moving a family. Good luck.
Topic Author
Alto Astral

Post by Alto Astral »

PoppyA wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:14 am Keep the family together by renting for a year.
bradinsky wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:30 am If it were me, I would move to Austin & rent for a year. That would give you time to familiarize yourselves with the city & pick the area that suits your family best.
niagara_guy wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:00 am In hind site we should have moved and rented.
RedDog wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:04 am I’m retired military/moved my family a half dozen times…it takes time to scope out the schools, shopping, parks, unsavory areas, ect.
Yes, we originally thought this way. Our current home took us 2 years to find so there's that chance it may take that long, especially since we are not as familiar with Austin. We do have a sense of the decent suburbs with good schools and reasonable home prices.

However, rent in Austin for a 2 bedroom managed condo or SFH near good schools is $2k/month. My current mortgage is <$900/month. I expect a downpayment of $120K. If the home search takes 1-2 years, that diverts 24-48K from either downpayment or investing.
Topic Author
Alto Astral

Post by Alto Astral »

PoppyA wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 3:14 am Try to target a rental area in a good school district that may include your future home. Talk to a realtor who can help you with this.
What I've seen is elementary school zones are fairly small. So even if we pick a suburb, there is a high chance the elementary school we rent in is different from where we buy.
millervt wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:34 am Unless your kids have some characteristics for which moving is especially traumatic, at their ages they will easily adapt to a new situation.
We feel the kids should be fine, but it would be nice to not have them change schools twice, if at all possible.
Topic Author
Alto Astral

Post by Alto Astral »

DVMResident wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:20 am The latter to 'test drive' neighborhoods for a week.
Okay, makes sense.
DVMResident wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:20 am You can slow walk this process given the school has already started for the 8 year old and aim for a spring/early summer 2022 move.
Yes, certainly.
DVMResident wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 10:20 am Personally, I would line up a job before moving a family. Good luck.
Yes, will line up wife's job first. My job is fully remote/virtual. That lets me move anywhere and I am flexible on timing.
Lalamimi

Post by Lalamimi »

Prices are insane right now in Texas. Where is employer? Austin traffic is impossible, not many freeways. We lived on 10 acres in Driftwood, and loved it, but did not work in Austin. My brother is out in Drippiing Springs, his wife commutes on 290 4 days a week to her hair salon. I would go by yourself for 3 months and look around, even just to rent. Rent is crazy high too. My SIL owns a duplex and a house she rents out. Price goes up every year. Manor and East of Austin are less pricey. Round Rock, Pflugerville are higher end. Not much in the way of public transportation. Lots of tent cities under the freeway overpasses to match Austin's politics. The airport is way south, so consider that commute. Buda is a nice community, south of Austin, but I35 is a standstill most of the time. Friends love area near Oak Hill, they have school aged kids.
Topic Author
Alto Astral

Post by Alto Astral »

Lalamimi wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:02 pm Prices are insane right now in Texas. Where is employer? Austin traffic is impossible, not many freeways.
Agree, prices are insane in Austin! I need to take out a mortgage twice the size of Chicago suburb for a similar home. California is out of the question but TX is somewhat manageable. My job is fully remote but future tech jobs would be near Austin downtown. We strongly considered Dallas but Austin has better tech job prospects - if employers rollback on full remote work over the years. Plus companies such as Apple & Google are resistant to full remote roles - if I ever get so lucky.
Lalamimi wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:02 pm We lived on 10 acres in Driftwood, and loved it, but did not work in Austin. My brother is out in Drippiing Springs, his wife commutes on 290 4 days a week to her hair salon. I would go by yourself for 3 months and look around, even just to rent.
Once wife gets remote job, we are willing to start out 30-50 miles away from downtown Austin, so long as there are good schools. Then, if either of us gets a non-remote job closer to Austin in a few years, we would make the move for a better commute. Dripping Springs is definitely an option. So is Cedar Park and Leander - where we may get MoPac Express Lane instead of I35.
Lalamimi wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:02 pm Rent is crazy high too. My SIL owns a duplex and a house she rents out. Price goes up every year.
High cost of renting a home one of the reasons I thought of scouting out first.
Lalamimi wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:02 pm Lots of tent cities under the freeway overpasses to match Austin's politics
I did not know about this. More of a reason to visit a few times.
Lalamimi wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:02 pm Manor and East of Austin are less pricey. Round Rock, Pflugerville are higher end. Not much in the way of public transportation. ... The airport is way south, so consider that commute. Buda is a nice community, south of Austin, but I35 is a standstill most of the time. Friends love area near Oak Hill, they have school aged kids.
Yep, I am avoiding anything that may need an I35 to commute. I don't think I can afford Oak Hill - all close to million dollar homes now. Public schools in Manor do not have GreatSchools ranking. So I may need to go private and wipe out any advantages of a low-priced home in the long term.
coldaudio

Post by coldaudio »

Is Austin your only option? If you're just looking for tech cities, there are lots of options out there that may be more affordable, have way better weather, better quality of life, similar-or-better traffic, etc.... I live in Denver, and everyone I know can't find enough good talent. It's taking months to fill open roles. I've got a buddy who runs one of the staffing firms here, and he won't take on any new business, they've got more than 120 open reqs and not enough recruiters/account managers to make any meaningful progress.
leeks

Post by leeks »

option 3
but rent in what you think will be your desired school district (pay more for this if you have to) so there is a chance kids don't change schools when you buy (recognizing your opinion on the schools may change once you get to know the actual school system)
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

It's not going to take 2 years as the urgency is different. I would rent with a place that can be flexible. Higher rent for month to month or a bailout only if you close on a home.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

coldaudio wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:41 am Is Austin your only option? If you're just looking for tech cities, there are lots of options out there that may be more affordable, have way better weather, better quality of life, similar-or-better traffic, etc.... I live in Denver, and everyone I know can't find enough good talent. It's taking months to fill open roles. I've got a buddy who runs one of the staffing firms here, and he won't take on any new business, they've got more than 120 open reqs and not enough recruiters/account managers to make any meaningful progress.
Same thing here in the "Silicon Slopes" (Utah County, Utah), of course better weather and better quality of life are highly subjective. As someone who has lived in Austin (and Houston), I enjoy Texas and Utah about the same (for very different reasons), but I don't think I would ever sign up to deal with the Austin traffic again.

Post by 123 »

Option #3 sell and rent for a year is the best way to avoid potentially costly mistakes.

By leisurely looking you can decide what area or neighborhoods would work out best for you. If something about the relocation doesn't work out (job situation) it gives you a year to find that out. You avoid being stuck with a home in Austin without a job that you like.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Topic Author
Alto Astral

Post by Alto Astral »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:06 am
coldaudio wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:41 am Is Austin your only option? If you're just looking for tech cities, there are lots of options out there that may be more affordable, have way better weather, better quality of life, similar-or-better traffic, etc.... I live in Denver, and everyone I know can't find enough good talent. It's taking months to fill open roles. I've got a buddy who runs one of the staffing firms here, and he won't take on any new business, they've got more than 120 open reqs and not enough recruiters/account managers to make any meaningful progress.
Same thing here in the "Silicon Slopes" (Utah County, Utah), of course better weather and better quality of life are highly subjective. As someone who has lived in Austin (and Houston), I enjoy Texas and Utah about the same (for very different reasons), but I don't think I would ever sign up to deal with the Austin traffic again.
No, Austin is not the only option. I am not keen on Austin traffic either. I am hoping to live somewhere I do not need to take I-35 (say, west?). In addition to Denver and Utah, I considered Raleigh/RTP in NC and Nashville TN too. I have a slight bias for TX as I've lived there and like the weather. No clue about the traffic in the past 10 years though, only dire warnings.

I am trading the frigid months in Chicago for sweltering heat in Austin. I am trying to maximize the warm months (75-85F). See Austin vs Denver vs Salt Lake City in the screenshot below (source).
Last edited by Alto Astral on Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
40 Years' Gatherin's

Post by 40 Years' Gatherin's »

Alto Astral wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:25 pm
stoptothink wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:06 am
Same thing here in the "Silicon Slopes" (Utah County, Utah), of course better weather and better quality of life are highly subjective. As someone who has lived in Austin (and Houston), I enjoy Texas and Utah about the same (for very different reasons), but I don't think I would ever sign up to deal with the Austin traffic again. No clue about the traffic
No, Austin is not the only option. I am not keen on Austin traffic either. I am hoping to live somewhere I do not need to take I-35 (say, west?). In addition to Denver and Utah, I considered Raleigh/RTP in NC and Nashville TN too. I have a slight bias for TX as I've lived there and like the weather.

I am trading the frigid months in Chicago for sweltering heat in Austin. I am trying to maximize the warm months (75-85F). See Austin vs Denver vs Salt Lake City in the screenshot below (source).
Move to North Carolina. You'll be happier there. Perhaps suburban Charlotte?
Topic Author
Alto Astral

Post by Alto Astral »

40 Years' Gatherin's wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 8:29 pm Move to North Carolina. You'll be happier there. Perhaps suburban Charlotte?
I love NC.

What about public schools though? I thought I had a tough time with that in Redfin with GreatSchools filter.

The other thing is NC seems to be mostly 2-story homes. I like the ranch style single story homes that are in plenty in TX.

Lastly, the Charlotte area seems to favor finance tech/big banks etc. Pure tech (say, Apple) does not seem to have many roles there. Though, that may be changing with remote jobs.
Topic Author
Alto Astral

Post by Alto Astral »

Option 3. Sell the Chicago house and rent with family in Austin for 1 year. View homes in leisure and then buy
leeks wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 10:59 am option 3
but rent in what you think will be your desired school district (pay more for this if you have to) so there is a chance kids don't change schools when you buy (recognizing your opinion on the schools may change once you get to know the actual school system)
Yes, there is a chance our opinions change once we see the school districts.
harrychan wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:05 am It's not going to take 2 years as the urgency is different. I would rent with a place that can be flexible. Higher rent for month to month or a bailout only if you close on a home.
That's true, should not take 2 years. I believe individual landlords may be open to the bailout option more than rental communities.
123 wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 6:56 pm Option #3 sell and rent for a year is the best way to avoid potentially costly mistakes.

By leisurely looking you can decide what area or neighborhoods would work out best for you. If something about the relocation doesn't work out (job situation) it gives you a year to find that out. You avoid being stuck with a home in Austin without a job that you like.
Renting in the neighborhood seem like the lower risk. The tradeoff is the extra cost to rent and potential change in schools.
Topic Author
Alto Astral

Post by Alto Astral »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:06 am Same thing here in the "Silicon Slopes" (Utah County, Utah), of course better weather and better quality of life are highly subjective. As someone who has lived in Austin (and Houston), I enjoy Texas and Utah about the same (for very different reasons), but I don't think I would ever sign up to deal with the Austin traffic again.
Do you have any opinion on Dallas? I know its not as many tech jobs as Austin, but traffic and home prices seem better. I've lived in Houston and Dallas but only visited Austin. Houston is definitely more humid.
vinhodoporto

Post by vinhodoporto »

Don’t take this the wrong way but you might be making this more complicated than necessary.

When I was in the military I moved long distance 4 times with young children. Many of my peers did this and more as have many people I know in the corporate world.

You can do a lot of research online including talking to people in the area you’re considering moving to narrow down where you are looking to a few specific neighborhoods. It sounds like you’ve started this. Once you’ve identified a few areas to focus on you can take a trip to look at houses and see the areas first hand to ensue you didn’t miss something in your research.

In 3 of our 4 long distance moves we did 1-2 weekend trips like this before finding a house. On one of those trips we looked at like 36 houses in our preferred neighborhoods - I see no reason why it would take more than a handful of trips to find a house. Basically we did your option 1 but my point is if you prepare it’s only one or two weekend trips so not that expensive and not that much family separation.

In the 4th move we chose to rent for a year and then look for something more permanent. This worked out fine too but we ended up changing schools because we bought in a different neighborhood which meant our oldest kid was in 3 schools in 3 years which wasn’t great. From a financial standpoint this was the worst because of two moves, rent, overlap between when we closed on the house and when our lease ended etc. A lot of people advocate for this approach because you have more time to get to know the area and to look but there are downsides as well.

Given the ages of your kids either option 1 or 3 could work. Definitely line up a job first so you can consider commute when determining your preferred neighborhoods. Good luck!
Topic Author
Alto Astral

Post by Alto Astral »

vinhodoporto wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:50 pm Don’t take this the wrong way but you might be making this more complicated than necessary.
Of course, not. Thanks for taking the time to respond. I want to listen to all perspectives.
vinhodoporto wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:50 pm When I was in the military I moved long distance 4 times with young children. Many of my peers did this and more as have many people I know in the corporate world.

You can do a lot of research online including talking to people in the area you’re considering moving to narrow down where you are looking to a few specific neighborhoods. It sounds like you’ve started this. Once you’ve identified a few areas to focus on you can take a trip to look at houses and see the areas first hand to ensue you didn’t miss something in your research.
Yes, doing a lot of research right now. Wife and I are debating which city. Right now its looking like a tie between Austin and Dallas. Austin's traffic and home prices are a bummer
vinhodoporto wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:50 pm In 3 of our 4 long distance moves we did 1-2 weekend trips like this before finding a house. On one of those trips we looked at like 36 houses in our preferred neighborhoods - I see no reason why it would take more than a handful of trips to find a house. Basically we did your option 1 but my point is if you prepare it’s only one or two weekend trips so not that expensive and not that much family separation.

In the 4th move we chose to rent for a year and then look for something more permanent. This worked out fine too but we ended up changing schools because we bought in a different neighborhood which meant our oldest kid was in 3 schools in 3 years which wasn’t great. From a financial standpoint this was the worst because of two moves, rent, overlap between when we closed on the house and when our lease ended etc. A lot of people advocate for this approach because you have more time to get to know the area and to look but there are downsides as well.
Wow, 36 is a marathon! Did you travel with the kids on the weekend trips? With the delta variant, I am weighing the risk with kids too young to be vaccinated. Good to know you were able to pull it off without renting most of the time. I want to consider this seriously. If we rent, my eldest will also likely be in 3 schools in 3 years.
vinhodoporto wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:50 pm Given the ages of your kids either option 1 or 3 could work. Definitely line up a job first so you can consider commute when determining your preferred neighborhoods. Good luck!
Our current jobs should be remote but we are definitely considering future commute (say, in 3-5 years)
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

Alto Astral wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:04 pm
stoptothink wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:06 am Same thing here in the "Silicon Slopes" (Utah County, Utah), of course better weather and better quality of life are highly subjective. As someone who has lived in Austin (and Houston), I enjoy Texas and Utah about the same (for very different reasons), but I don't think I would ever sign up to deal with the Austin traffic again.
Do you have any opinion on Dallas? I know its not as many tech jobs as Austin, but traffic and home prices seem better. I've lived in Houston and Dallas but only visited Austin. Houston is definitely more humid.
I never lived in Dallas, but was there countless times for business. Having only visited, my opinion is that it was my least favorite metro area in Texas. But, I know quite a few people who love it.
vinhodoporto

Post by vinhodoporto »

Alto Astral wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:12 am Yes, doing a lot of research right now. Wife and I are debating which city. Right now its looking like a tie between Austin and Dallas. Austin's traffic and home prices are a bummer
I’d add that coming from the Chicago area you’ll have a bit of culture shock in both places, but more in the Dallas suburbs. It sounds like you’ve spent time in TX so this won’t be a total surprise. I assume your spouse is also prepared for this.

Dallas traffic isn’t great either and you said you’d both be working from home so I wouldn’t personally put too much weight on that factor.
Alto Astral wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:12 am
vinhodoporto wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:50 pm In 3 of our 4 long distance moves we did 1-2 weekend trips like this before finding a house. On one of those trips we looked at like 36 houses in our preferred neighborhoods - I see no reason why it would take more than a handful of trips to find a house. Basically we did your option 1 but my point is if you prepare it’s only one or two weekend trips so not that expensive and not that much family separation.

Wow, 36 is a marathon! Did you travel with the kids on the weekend trips? With the delta variant, I am weighing the risk with kids too young to be vaccinated. Good to know you were able to pull it off without renting most of the time. I want to consider this seriously. If we rent, my eldest will also likely be in 3 schools in 3 years.
We took the kids on most but not all of the weekend trips. Of course this was pre COVID. One thing we did when touring lots of houses with young kids in tow was one parent would go in with the realtor while the other stayed in the car with the kids and then we’d switch. That allowed us to not interrupt the kids nap or show they were watching or whatever and meant we could focus on looking at the house rather than wrangling kids when we were touring. It also meant sometimes one of us noticed something particularly good or bad about a house that the other missed.
Topic Author
Alto Astral

Post by Alto Astral »

stoptothink wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:04 am
Alto Astral wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 9:04 pm
I never lived in Dallas, but was there countless times for business. Having only visited, my opinion is that it was my least favorite metro area in Texas. But, I know quite a few people who love it.
Austin's hills and Utah's slopes are beautiful. Compared to them, Dallas can be ...flat
Topic Author
Alto Astral

Post by Alto Astral »

vinhodoporto wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:06 am
Alto Astral wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 8:12 am Yes, doing a lot of research right now. Wife and I are debating which city. Right now its looking like a tie between Austin and Dallas. Austin's traffic and home prices are a bummer
I’d add that coming from the Chicago area you’ll have a bit of culture shock in both places, but more in the Dallas suburbs. It sounds like you’ve spent time in TX so this won’t be a total surprise. I assume your spouse is also prepared for this.
I left TX in my youth and returning in middle-age. I may still be shocked. I do expect the political leaning differences. Especially in Dallas like you pointed out. Austin may lean more like Chicago.
vinhodoporto wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 10:06 am Dallas traffic isn’t great either and you said you’d both be working from home so I wouldn’t personally put too much weight on that factor.
Hmm, true. Austin seems mostly all around I-35 or I-290. Dallas suburbs are so spread out. It's got Fort Worth, Plano, Frisco, you name it. Dallas area generally seems to have a larger count of public schools too.
kelvan80

Post by kelvan80 »

We are military. When we buy we usually do so over a 3 day weekend with the intending of renting if the first trip doesn't work out. Only one of us goes. And we sell the other house once we have something to buy. Nothing wrong with renting which we are doing right now. The market in Florida in the school district we wanted made it about $1500 less expensive a month with our down-payment so it was a no-brainer to buy.
Topic Author
Alto Astral

Post by Alto Astral »

kelvan80 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:56 pm We are military. When we buy we usually do so over a 3 day weekend with the intending of renting if the first trip doesn't work out. Only one of us goes. And we sell the other house once we have something to buy.
Military efficiency right there. I believe you do a lot of upfront research and line up homes to view, before the first trip?
kelvan80

Post by kelvan80 »

Yes we work with a realtor to view about 20 homes over 3 days. I start researching areas about 6 to 12 months out. We have a pretty good spouse network to get the gouge on schools, proximity to base and traffic, safety etc which sometimes realtors have to be more tight lipped about. It can be done if needed but I think tenting is the way to go. My husband looked at rentals the same trip and found them atrocious for what rent was so we bought even for an 18 month time period. Sometimes you get lucky.
DVMResident

Post by DVMResident »

Alto Astral wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 6:15 pm
kelvan80 wrote: Tue Sep 28, 2021 11:56 pm We are military. When we buy we usually do so over a 3 day weekend with the intending of renting if the first trip doesn't work out. Only one of us goes. And we sell the other house once we have something to buy.
Military efficiency right there. I believe you do a lot of upfront research and line up homes to view, before the first trip?
Military folk move a lot. The stakes are lower when your assignment is only a couple years.

No judgement, just different criteria of success.