Thoughts on taking 2 Jobs Simultaneously.. implications for background check in the future?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
beyou

Re: Thoughts on taking 2 Jobs Simultaneously.. implications for background check in the future?

Post by beyou »

Personally I would turn down the offer unless you just hate your current job. Small private firm, always a long shot that the stock would work out, likely ends in paycut.

I might try it for 500% or more potential, but 150% ? You can get there anyway, in a lower risk opportunity.
vanbogle59

Re: Thoughts on taking 2 Jobs Simultaneously.. implications for background check in the future?

Post by vanbogle59 »

sents13 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:03 pm YEAH... it's against corporate policy and I may be fired. But is it illegal? NO. Ethics? Who cares as long as I deliver at both jobs? We're paid to deliver not paid to work 40hrs/wk.

Also, nobody has seemed to commented on the background check.. which is the main question. I suppose working 2 remote jobs is totally novel so there is no precedence to speak off. If I decide not do it (and I was leaning no btw), it will be because of background checks and not any of the other reasons you all have raised.
So, you are certain it's against company policy, but you don't think anyone cares. Really? Suits get paid to write that stuff, and they take themselves and their company reputations seriously.

And you are sure you get paid "to deliver" and not "to work 40 hours". For many periods in my life, that has actually NOT been remotely true. And it was most certainly true that if I said I worked 40, and was found to be lying, I would have been fired. For cause.

And you are sure it's not illegal. Do you enter a time-sheet? Click on any check boxes to say you worked 80 hours this period? That could easily be considered criminal. Especially if it is used by your employer to generate bills to some other company.

Or, perhaps you signed some documents during orientation saying you would disclose all other employment? IDK about you, but I know I have at various times.

As for the background check, you haven't given us enough info. I've worked on government contracts where the FBI got involved (best not to lie to those guys). And I've worked for firms the just checked my credit rating. Hard for anyone to say.

But it is a core BH tenet that we should not take risk that we don't have to.
If you are sure this is not a big deal, just quit the cloak and dagger and disclose. Risk vanishes.

Finally, this is something you don't ever associated with your name: "Ethics? Who cares."
Ependytis

Post by Ependytis »

I don’t think it’s illegal to have two jobs, nor do I think it’s immoral. If you can get the work done and both employers are happy, good for you. So although you may able to be able to work two jobs, I doubt you can sustain it for a long period of time. It’s only a matter time before your performance suffers enough that one of the employer feels taken.

This reminds me of a situation where I worked for a company that to my surprise didn’t offer paid disability and or life insurance, regular raises, raises when you got a promotion, equity, overtime, or compensation time. They also expected 10 to 20 hours of overtime per week. Needless to say, I quit that job within five months.

My whole point, is although you can fool people for sometime eventually it catches up with you. The employer above had such a high turnover, I’m sure most candidates rejected their offer after looking on LinkedIn and seeing their high turnover or accepted just to keep the cash flow going before they moved on to the detriment of company.
gogreen

Post by gogreen »

vanbogle59 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:16 pm
gogreen wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:47 pm This!
I'm shocked how many members believe it's illegal/fraudulent.
fraudulent = involving deception
It needn't be criminal.

Soooo if I have $10 mln in the bank but tell my neighbor I live paycheck to paycheck it's a fraud :sharebeer ?
vanbogle59

Post by vanbogle59 »

gogreen wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:21 pm
vanbogle59 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:16 pm
gogreen wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:47 pm This!
I'm shocked how many members believe it's illegal/fraudulent.
fraudulent = involving deception
It needn't be criminal.

Soooo if I have $10 mln in the bank but tell my neighbor I live paycheck to paycheck it's a fraud :sharebeer ?
Probably not criminal unless you are a grifter. :sharebeer
But, sure, you are a fraud. I don't think I'm inventing anything here. :confused

If you tell your wife you are going bowling, and spend the evening with your girlfriend, I think she would agree with the definition. :wink:
gogreen

Post by gogreen »

vanbogle59 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:14 pm
sents13 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 7:03 pm YEAH... it's against corporate policy and I may be fired. But is it illegal? NO. Ethics? Who cares as long as I deliver at both jobs? We're paid to deliver not paid to work 40hrs/wk.

Also, nobody has seemed to commented on the background check.. which is the main question. I suppose working 2 remote jobs is totally novel so there is no precedence to speak off. If I decide not do it (and I was leaning no btw), it will be because of background checks and not any of the other reasons you all have raised.
And you are sure you get paid "to deliver" and not "to work 40 hours". For many periods in my life, that has actually NOT been remotely true. And it was most certainly true that if I said I worked 40, and was found to be lying, I would have been fired. For cause.

Interesting. As a manager, if my DR A works for 35 hours and delivers great stuff they'd be promoted but if DR B works 45 hours but can't deliver they would be put on PIP.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

sents13 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:52 am will see OVERLAPPING dates of employment between megacorp and smallercorp. Will that be a red flag that cause me to fail background check?
Any small problem will flag a background check.

Legacy company name on paystub doesn't match current company name? Flagged. Someone with same name and DOB is currently incarcerated? Flagged. Flagged means you are not starting until everything is perfectly cleared up, sometimes taking weeks.

Concurrent employment will definitely be visible on a report from https://theworknumber.com/ . Will it matter, though?

I could pull this off too, but I'm waiting to see how the dust settles on this new remote work environment, and would only do it if the companies involved were okay with it.
vanbogle59

Post by vanbogle59 »

gogreen wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:31 pm Interesting. As a manager, if my DR A works for 35 hours and delivers great stuff they'd be promoted but if DR B works 45 hours but can't deliver they would be put on PIP.
Yep. Until the sh!te hits the fan.

As a manager of a contract, if DR A works for 35 hours and submits a time sheet with a 40 on it, do you sign it?
When your director asks you if the billing is accurate, do you tell the truth?
When you testify before the Public Utilities Commission, and they ask you if you accurately accounted for the way you spent the taxpayer's money, what do you say?
At the wrongful termination mediation for DR B, how do you defend yourself from the charges of cronyism when it is disclosed that DR A's timesheets are phoney?

The suits at every megacorp I have ever been a part of make it very clear: if you falsify a document, for any reason, you are meat. They even force everyone to take courses and sign that they understand. Because the last thing they will risk is that it lands on them.
Topic Author
sents13

Post by sents13 »

vanbogle59 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:51 am
gogreen wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:31 pm Interesting. As a manager, if my DR A works for 35 hours and delivers great stuff they'd be promoted but if DR B works 45 hours but can't deliver they would be put on PIP.

As a manager of a contract, if DR A works for 35 hours and submits a time sheet with a 40 on it, do you sign it?
When you testify before the Public Utilities Commission, and they ask you if you accurately accounted for the way you spent the taxpayer's money, what do you say?
At the wrongful termination mediation for DR B, how do you defend yourself from the charges of cronyism when it is disclosed that DR A's timesheets are phoney?

The suits at every megacorp I have ever been a part of make it very clear: if you falsify a document, for any reason, you are meat. They even force everyone to take courses and sign that they understand. Because the last thing they will risk is that it lands on them.
You do know there is 168hrs in a week, and I can work 2 x 40hrs/wk right?

Also we're talking about remote jobs, not something at Walmart where you need to submit time sheets. Jeez...
Topic Author
sents13

Post by sents13 »

While I disagree with many comments posted, a few have posted good points like the WorkNumber verification. I don't think I will go ahead with this plan for now.
phantom0308

Post by phantom0308 »

I know someone doing this. He got frustrated with the lack of challenging work and found another gig to fill his time. He’s doing well and pulling in two tech salaries. There seems to be a lot of moralizing around this topic and I guess I understand it. A huge percentage of people would do a lot worse than lie like this to double their pay though and how bad is it if you’re delivering value at both places?

Moonlighting also seems common enough in other high stress fields like medicine and my guess is that it’s due to stronger bargaining power among physicians. I think employers are lucky they’re able to force all of their employees to sign contracts with these types of restrictions. One ridiculous example of company overreach in employment contracts is that somewhere between 30-40% of minimum wage workers are under non compete agreements (e.g. you can’t serve coffee at a competitor within 10 miles after leaving). It doesn’t seem like something that’d happen in a tighter labor market or one with stronger support for labor.

Personally it’s not for me because I like seeing my family.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

As for whether a background check would flag it and if it would matter…lots of people work two or more jobs. It may be unusual for a white collar worker to work to white collar jobs. You probably could talk around it with some, and others might avoid you.

On the other hand, you may find you can pull the stunt off for longer than you think and make significantly more money working two remote jobs than working hard at one job for promotions. If you burn out though, you’ll have to handle the reduction in pay.
vanbogle59

Post by vanbogle59 »

sents13 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:45 am You do know there is 168hrs in a week, and I can work 2 x 40hrs/wk right?

Also we're talking about remote jobs, not something at Walmart where you need to submit time sheets. Jeez...
If it's not a big deal, why not just be upfront and truthful with both employers? Jeez...

I never had an issue with the idea of working 2 jobs. I have done it. And I've said so upthread.
I have an issue with falsifying documents, lack of transparency.....lying.

Your question was never "is this a good idea?".
Instead it was, "Will I get caught?"
Probably not. You now have the internet's permission to proceed with behavior you know to be unethical.

And I can't imagine this thread will last much longer. :oops:
In before lock and out.
shess

Post by shess »

vanbogle59 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:27 am
sents13 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 3:45 am You do know there is 168hrs in a week, and I can work 2 x 40hrs/wk right?

If it's not a big deal, why not just be upfront and truthful with both employers? Jeez...

I never had an issue with the idea of working 2 jobs. I have done it. And I've said so upthread.

Probably not. You now have the internet's permission to proceed with behavior you know to be unethical.

In before lock and out.
Yeah, this. Roping together two turkeys doesn't create an eagle. If someone is honestly capable of doing acceptable work at two jobs at once, then they are obviously capable of doing exceptional work at one job. OP should not accept EITHER of these jobs, and should find a job where they want to give 200% effort to that single job. In my experience that will result in an happier and more wealthy employee.
cashheavy18

Post by cashheavy18 »

sents13 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 6:54 pm
Doctor Rhythm wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:04 pm As someone who helps recruit and manage professionals in a large organization, it’s hard to imagine how either LittleCorp or MegaCorp would be okay with this. LittleCorp wouldn’t have hired you if they knew you planned to do this, and I don’t see any reasons why both LittleCorp or MegaCorp wouldn’t fire you immediately if they found out. If they were particularly incensed, they would tell your other employer and get you black listed. No offense, but I wouldn’t think twice about burning someone who betrayed my trust and my organization’s trust.

If I Googled your real name, would I find out where you work? If I searched through your Company’s website, would I find your name?
IF they find out, that is the trick.

Also for the Google part, I have minimal social media presence. And for whatever that I have, it would still be old Megacorp. Not everyone update their profile/website in real-time so it's ok to have a stale employer for 6-12mth
Do you have a LinkedIn profile? There seems to be an increasing trend for new hiring managers to tag and welcome their new employee on Linkedin.
fortunefavored

Post by fortunefavored »

To answer the OPs question: it is a non-issue for background check purposes. Just tell the truth: "I was still working for oldco for a few months while working for newco" - you don't have to elaborate. They are just verifying facts.

Second for all the clucking in this thread.. I worked for several megacorps.. none forbid moonlighting EXCEPT if it was 1) in competition or 2) was creating/inventing intellectual property related in some way to your core job. NONE required disclosure except in those cases (in which case they would be 100% denied)

#2 is tricky. If, for example, your job is "QA Automation" - you could get in trouble for writing QA automation for a car company and a vegetable processing plant. Company #1 would want to own that IP and you would be in violation, despite being in entirely different industries. It is more clear if you were doing "QA Automation" for one company, and working as a "Youth Soccer Coach" at another.

I've personally once worked 3 jobs at once for nearly 2 months (for various complicated reasons) and it was hellish, so I wish you good luck. As long as it is not violating any agreements, go for it.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

fortunefavored wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:13 am Second for all the clucking in this thread.. I worked for several megacorps.. none forbid moonlighting EXCEPT if it was 1) in competition or 2) was creating/inventing intellectual property related in some way to your core job. NONE required disclosure except in those cases (in which case they would be 100% denied)
Right but its a matter of degree. Moonlighting by teaching community college or online courses is quite a bit different than taking two jobs where the employer has every expectation you are working full time but are actually using telework to cover that you are doing two jobs at the same time. OP did not state whether he plans to work one job during the day and one job at night, or if he plans to multi-task throughout the day and try to do both jobs with 50 hours of effort per week. With on-prem work the situation would be very rare; this is a new phenomenon at scale of COVID telework and I'd fully expect employers are taking steps to restrict, identify, and stop in many cases.
sesq

Post by sesq »

I once took a package when I left a certain mega-employer. I left because of a merger/too many cooks in the kitchen. They had a policy where they kept anyone whose position was eliminated due to the merger on the payroll for an additional 90 days. So if some one was doing checks they would have seen an overlap of 90 days with two employers.

I would check the moonlighting policies at your mega-corp. Its prohibited without permission at my company, so if I went and drove for Uber on the weekends and didn't ask permission I would be subject to termination.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

vanbogle59 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 10:27 am

In before lock and out.
The sad part is many shows aimed at young people today portray this kind of super high risk behavior as exciting and even charming, while softpedaling by a factor of 1,000 the possible consequences. See e.g., Suits. I’m very proud of the OP for making the wise decision not to do what he initially was considering.
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

Somewhat relevant, related, & totally creepy
WFH Surveillance

"
The number of large employers using tools to track their workers doubled since the beginning of the pandemic to 60 percent. That number is expected to rise to 70 percent within the next three years, said Brian Kropp, chief of human resources research at Gartner.

Some employers have voiced concerns that, without the monitoring, their workers might cut corners or pursue multiple jobs simultaneously, depriving them of the focus and labor they need to stay competitive in the remote-work era."
jmw

Post by jmw »

Implied is the real question from Clint Eastwood. Do you feel lucky, punk?

If you are going to do it for fun and profit, don't brag about it to anybody. Don't tell anybody other than the spouse (no kids who can brag about daddy or mommy working 2 jobs). Take it to the grave. Don't ask your primary job boss for permission. Just do it. One of these two jobs will never, ever be on your resume or LinkedIn. If one of the job databases like the Work Number snitches on you, tell the interviewer it's a mistake. Nobody would ever try to work 2 jobs simultaneously of course, so the database has to be wrong. Got mixed up with someone else.
fortunefavored

Post by fortunefavored »

runninginvestor wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:26 pm Somewhat relevant, related, & totally creepy
WFH Surveillance

"
The number of large employers using tools to track their workers doubled since the beginning of the pandemic to 60 percent. That number is expected to rise to 70 percent within the next three years, said Brian Kropp, chief of human resources research at Gartner.

Some employers have voiced concerns that, without the monitoring, their workers might cut corners or pursue multiple jobs simultaneously, depriving them of the focus and labor they need to stay competitive in the remote-work era."
This was already starting when I left - including investigating AI technology that will analyze voice meeting participation and intonation to determine how "well" you were participating. Keylogging had already been going on for years (capturing everything typed on a corporate laptop.. although I don't know what they did with that data.)

However we all know people who can deliver 40 hours of productivity in 5 hours. So I'm not sure I buy the "200% effort" argument. I'd rather have that 5 hours than 40 hours of mediocrity. Would I care if that person worked 2 (or 4) more jobs? I'm not sure I would. I'm glad I am out of management so I don't have to figure out the answers to these new questions. :)
gogreen

Post by gogreen »

vanbogle59 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 1:51 am

1) Yes
2) Director asks 2 things monthly - show me Year-to-date budget numbers and project progress. He has zero interest even in number of my DRs
3) I work in private sector. However my friend from gov agency says the following - if they report to supervisor that budget/deadlines can't be met he simply replies - who cares, taxpayers will pay more. And after observing recent money-printing trends looks like it's prety much the same across other gov entities :oops:
4) Wrongful termination of a contractor? What's that? I simply call their vendor in the early morning- "So sorry to inform you, yesterday was the last day for DR B. Hope to partner with you in the nearest future". 5 mins later email arrives - 'Account of DR B successfully terminated' :sharebeer
gogreen

Post by gogreen »

fortunefavored wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 11:13 am It is more clear if you were doing "QA Automation" for one company, and working as a "Youth Soccer Coach" at another.

I've personally once worked 3 jobs at once for nearly 2 months (for various complicated reasons) and it was hellish, so I wish you good luck. As long as it is not violating any agreements, go for it.
Can't agree more on these 2 items. I worked for 2 jobs back in 2014 for 6 months - horrible and soul sucking experience. $ isn't worth it
At the same time, I coached a youth hockey team for 3 months - should my megacorp terminate and sue me for that?
TheDDC

Post by TheDDC »

Consider not taking two full time jobs and doing consulting to fly under the radar and keep your beak wet…

I’m one to say “if it’s possible, do it”, but I just don’t know how you could get away with it on days where you may have a day long leadership team meeting scheduled for instance. The “world of work” is way different than we could have imagined a year ago. The number of consultants has increased substantially as WFH takes hold.

Again, go the consulting route.

-TheDDC
Rules to wealth building: 75-80% VTSAX piled high and deep, 20-25% VTIAX, 0% given away to banks.
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

duplicate
Last edited by softwaregeek on Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

softwaregeek wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 6:24 pm Forgot to add - I did see a guy get fired for this at a prior employer.

New Company B called Sr. Exec at Existing Company A for a backdoor reference. Company A asked employee, who denied. Company A then verified with company B and then canned the employee.

Interesting thing: Execs at company A agreed he wouldn't have been fired if he hadn't lied about it, or had just stated he would be doing a bit of work for company B.
luckyducky99

Post by luckyducky99 »

If either corp finds out they’ll fire you. I’ve seen it happen first hand. If both find out you might not have any job at all.
davidsorensen32

Post by davidsorensen32 »

Don’t do it. You will be investigated and fired with cause. It will be on your permanent record and will surface every time you apply for employment during background checks. I’ve personally terminated employment of one of my employees for doing this. It is extremely unethical , unprofessional and in this particular employees case , violated a key employee agreement that all employees have to sign during new hire.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

davidsorensen32 wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:25 pm Don’t do it. You will be investigated and fired with cause. It will be on your permanent record and will surface every time you apply for employment during background checks. I’ve personally terminated employment of one of my employees for doing this. It is extremely unethical , unprofessional and in this particular employees case , violated a key employee agreement that all employees have to sign during new hire.
&1
plog

Post by plog »

Another vote to do it if you can.

My car has no ethical duty to me, nor I it. Quit anthropomorphising companies.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

What if smallercorp asks for a reference at megacorp and then checks it?

Sorry to revive an old thread but hoping you did the right thing and only kept one job at a time or else disclosed fully to both.
Topic Author
sents13

Post by sents13 »

I did not take the 2nd job at the end of the day. Smallercorp had too many red flags.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

That’s great to hear. You can mean well but people can take things totally crazy wrong, like you were trying to steal trade servers or something. A good lesson to learn early in life.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:00 pm Honestly no offense intended, but Foolhardy doesn’t even begin to describe this. Unless you get an OK in writing from both places.

It’s in your own best interests to get some corporate ethics training ASAP. Barring that, read the book Why They Do It, about white collar criminals and how they end up in serious trouble by not thinking things through.

Also: will you sign up for benefits at both places? I think getting two sets of medical is insurance fraud.
what do you think your bank will do when two paychecks start entering your account?
what do you think the IRS will do when it sees two sets of tax withholdings?
if you take out a loan and misstate your income (up or down), pretty sure that’s fraud.

Nothing could be worth the consequences of what you are proposing.
Unless I'm missing something, how does it violate any corporate ethics? Just please educate me. You can get insured at both places. You can also deny benefit one place and accept benefit at the other place. You can have multiple paychecks, W-2, 1099s, withholding, etc. And why would you misstate your income when you take out a loan?

I worked multiple jobs during college, grad school, and several years after graduation. I made and saved a lot of money compared to starting salary. I make sure that there were no conflicts of interests among the jobs. I know many people also work 2 or 3 jobs at the same time. Fast forward to now, my job pays 6 times higher than starting salary. I don't have to work multiple jobs anymore.

For me, it's all about how much time you want to invest in your jobs vs. time you want to invest in you (knowledge, soft skills, etc.). You also need to save time for you, your family and your relationships. It's just a tradeoffs and everyone's mileage is different.
Time is the ultimate currency.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

H-Town wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:20 pm
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:00 pm Honestly no offense intended, but Foolhardy doesn’t even begin to describe this. Unless you get an OK in writing from both places.

It’s in your own best interests to get some corporate ethics training ASAP. Barring that, read the book Why They Do It, about white collar criminals and how they end up in serious trouble by not thinking things through.

Also: will you sign up for benefits at both places? I think getting two sets of medical is insurance fraud.
what do you think your bank will do when two paychecks start entering your account?
if you take out a loan and misstate your income (up or down), pretty sure that’s fraud.

I worked multiple jobs during college, grad school, and several years after graduation. I made and saved a lot of money compared to starting salary. I make sure that there were no conflicts of interests among the jobs. I know many people also work 2 or 3 jobs at the same time. Fast forward to now, my job pays 6 times higher than starting salary. I don't have to work multiple jobs anymore.
Was thinking the same thing. Since the day I left home at 16 until I finished my PhD at 32, I was working two jobs more than I wasn't and had 3 jobs for about a 3-year stretch. Of course it isn't smart to lie or mislead any employer, but I'm totally confused how any of the issues listed are issues at all.
fortunefavored

Post by fortunefavored »

stoptothink wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:48 pm
H-Town wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 3:20 pm

Was thinking the same thing. Since the day I left home at 16 until I finished my PhD at 32, I was working two jobs more than I wasn't and had 3 jobs for about a 3-year stretch. I don't now because it is unnecessary for our situation. My mom has worked two tech jobs (both in the same general industry, but not competitors - one full-time, the other 1099) for about the last 15yrs. Of course it isn't smart to lie or mislead any employer, but I'm totally confused how any of the issues listed are issues at all.
I think some people just have a weird idea that companies own them.

Interestingly since this thread started, several friends have started working multiple jobs since WFH. So far no issues. If there are days where they need to be "full time" - they just take PTO from the other job.

I expect the real end will be when "productivity software" fully rolls out and companies get serious about tracking effort.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

I’ve had times in my life when I had two jobs also, but both employers were fully informed in advance and one of the jobs was part time. Low responsibility part time jobs come with different expectations and binding commitments than high pay, sensitive full time corporate jobs.

I think the other posters who urged caution said it better than I did but just make sure you aren’t inadvertently violating some policy that could come back to bite you. It may not make sense to you now but you may not be fully aware of all the rules - who ever is really.
egrets

Post by egrets »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 2:00 pm
Setting aside the question of whether the OP's plan is ethical, is not the country fill of people not getting health benefits from their employer because they are covered in a spouse's plan?

Why would the bank or IRS give a darn? Many people work multiple jobs.
Weathering

Post by Weathering »

Lots of people at the top and bottom of the economic spectrum work multiple jobs. Why is the middle of the spectrum expected to be any different? Check your company policies, and if it’s ok then it’s ok.
Every exec at my old healthcare tech company had at least one other job, and so did the employees in our factory.

Some might argue that there is a difference between a full time job and a part time job, but yet most tech employers won’t commit to a time number for how long each employee needs to work in a day. Therefore, there jobs are neither full time nor part time.
humblecoder

Post by humblecoder »

People work multiple jobs quite often.

When I was in college, I had a job working retail and another working for a tutoring service.

After he retired from his full time job, my dad worked a part time job teaching at a community college, and another part time job proofreading manuscripts.

You see executives who sit on the board of directors at multiple companies.

You see teachers taking on coaching jobs or tutoring jobs on the side.

You see police officers working private security at night clubs or concerts.

You see people driving Uber or waiting tables or whatever on the weekends to make some extra spending money.

You see people working on a small business on the side while working full time to get a steady paycheck and benefits.

You see people working multiple jobs because it is the only way to make ends meet.

Somehow our society didn't implode. The IRS is good with this (as long as they get their cut). Banks don't care that you are depositing multiple paychecks as long as they didn't come from illegal sources.

As long as you are getting your work done, you aren't exceeding your benefit limits (401k contribution limit, etc), and there aren't any conflicts of interest, then what's the problem? I see no intrinsic ethical, moral, or legal issues here.
prudent

Post by prudent »

Topic is locked (OP's situation resolved, no point to continue).