Progressive's auto claim game?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
GettingComfortable

Progressive's auto claim game?

Post by GettingComfortable »

I think I can guess, but am interested in your opinions.

One of their insureds rearended our vehicle 20+ days ago, doing fairly minor but, of course, costly damage to a formerly-fancy but older European car. Their insured was cited/ticketed, and the police report and our dashcam evidence is very clear. So we filed a claim directly with her company, Progressive, expecting them to require the usual three independent estimates, then sending us a check to have the work done. However, they have been awful since (until the end of the most recent call, after us contacting/complaining to their customer service department publicly), including the first assigned adjuster who either quit or was fired.

Every phone call has had awful phone-quality on their end (weak, static, word drops, etc.); our serivce is perfect, for decades.

They wanted us to leave our vehicle somewhere that they would specify, and then at somepoint (at least a day-later but potentially up to 30), their field-estimator would inspect it. They "will not accept third-party estimates." However, there's no way we will leave our property unattended, at their and others' mercy, so we have repeatedly offered to schedule a mutually-agreable day/time/location.

They wouldn't apparently, so we scheduled an estimate at their, we're told, preferred bodyshop here in town (first Progressive tried to get us to go to a somewhat distant city!) and we informed their adjustor of the day/time/location two or three days in advance, but they failed to send their person. The shop called their field-guy, who goes to that shop routinely for this purpose -- the field-guy said Progessive never even contacted him to come; he was perplexed.

Progressive also want us to "install their app" to continue with the claim. That's not going to happen, especially considering their actions/inactions so far.

So what is Progressive's game here?
ResearchMed

Re: Progressive's auto claim game?

Post by ResearchMed »

File the claim through YOUR auto insurance company.

They can work through nonsense better than you can.
And that's part of what you pay them for.
If it's truly the other party's fault, it won't affect your rates.

As for their "game"? It's to make it hard for you to make them pay, and also to pay the very least possible when they do.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Strayshot

Post by Strayshot »

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:56 pm File the claim through YOUR auto insurance company.

They can work through nonsense better than you can.
And that's part of what you pay them for.
If it's truly the other party's fault, it won't affect your rates.

As for their "game"? It's to make it hard for you to make them pay, and also to pay the very least possible when they do.

RM
This x 1000.
exodusNH

Post by exodusNH »

GettingComfortable wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:45 pm I think I can guess, but am interested in your opinions.

One of their insureds rearended our vehicle 20+ days ago, doing fairly minor but, of course, costly damage to a formerly-fancy but older European car. Their insured was cited/ticketed, and the police report and our dashcam evidence is very clear. So we filed a claim directly with her company, Progressive, expecting them to require the usual three independent estimates, then sending us a check to have the work done. However, they have been awful since (until the end of the most recent call, after us contacting/complaining to their customer service department publicly), including the first assigned adjuster who either quit or was fired.

Every phone call has had awful phone-quality on their end (weak, static, word drops, etc.); our serivce is perfect, for decades.

They wanted us to leave our vehicle somewhere that they would specify, and then at somepoint (at least a day-later but potentially up to 30), their field-estimator would inspect it. They "will not accept third-party estimates." However, there's no way we will leave our property unattended, at their and others' mercy, so we have repeatedly offered to schedule a mutually-agreable day/time/location.

They wouldn't apparently, so we scheduled an estimate at their, we're told, preferred bodyshop here in town (first Progressive tried to get us to go to a somewhat distant city!) and we informed their adjustor of the day/time/location two or three days in advance, but they failed to send their person. The shop called their field-guy, who goes to that shop routinely for this purpose -- the field-guy said Progessive never even contacted him to come; he was perplexed.

Progressive also want us to "install their app" to continue with the claim. That's not going to happen, especially considering their actions/inactions so far.

Stop wasting your time. File through your insurance company.

You're bringing a feather duster to a bazooka fight.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

I would hope you already contacted your insurance company since this happened 20+ days ago. What do they have to say about this?
Topic Author
GettingComfortable

Over many decades, we've been hit by a few at-fault drivers, and have always filed with their insurance and have been paid for the repairs.

My (major brand) insurance company is known to raise rates even for inquiries. Otherwise is a great company.

So what do you think Progressive's end-game is, and how they would do it?
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

Let your insurance company do their job.
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

GettingComfortable wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:42 pm Over many decades, we've been hit by a few at-fault drivers, and have always filed with their insurance and have been paid for the repairs.

My (major brand) insurance company is known to raise rates even for inquiries. Otherwise is a great company.

For an inquiry when someone ELSE is at fault?
If so, you need a different insurance company.

RM
Topic Author
GettingComfortable

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:46 pm For an inquiry when someone ELSE is at fault?
Yep. Your company too, most likely. E.g.,

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/get ... ate-go-up/

https://www.aarp.org/money/insurance/in ... k-sid.html
Topic Author
GettingComfortable

pizzy wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:45 pm Let your insurance company do their job.
To then charge me more, and require paying the deductible too? :x

I'm 3-0, and have ultra-low premiums. Progressive will pay as they should, eventually.

Still haven't heard the theory I have ... hint: somewhat older, previously very-nice (nearly "restored") popular higher-end European car with minor/isolated damage.
pizzy

Post by pizzy »

Why aren’t you sharing your theory?
Vanguard/Fidelity | 76% US Stock | 16% Int'l Stock | 8% Cash
gac1979

Post by gac1979 »

If it were me, and I wasn’t injured (or seeking other damages), I’d get an estimate at my preferred shop. I’d then file against the appropriate parties in small claims court. An insurer will have to defend its insured in court, but it’s more likely the claim will get escalated and resolved before that. On the day I filed, I would make sure to email a copy of the paperwork to the adjuster.
dukeblue219

Post by dukeblue219 »

Spouse was hit by a drunk driver who was arrested on the spot (no question about fault). The drunk driver had Progressive and they were not easy to work with, partly because they wouldn't engage with us until they could speak with their client. Their client was still in jail.

We went to our company (Geico), filed a claim, and got it fixed right up. No deductible, no rate increase, no trouble.

(Eta: the real shame was this lady was on her third DUI, it happened at 10AM, and responding officers pulled out a gallon jug of red wine from the front seat. She dragged it out into COVID and ended up cutting a deal for probation. Ugh.)
Last edited by dukeblue219 on Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lee_WSP

Post by Lee_WSP »

gac1979 wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:28 pm If it were me, and I wasn’t injured (or seeking other damages), I’d get an estimate at my preferred shop. I’d then file against the appropriate parties in small claims court. An insurer will have to defend its insured in court, but it’s more likely the claim will get escalated and resolved before that. On the day I filed, I would make sure to email a copy of the paperwork to the adjuster.
This.
jbmitt

Post by jbmitt »

Progressive’s duty is to their policyholder and to protect them. They’ve never accepted 3rd party estimates.. either one of their adjusters or an affiliated shop will write each estimate.

Tell them where you want to get your vehicle repaired and they’ll work with that shop. If you just want an estimate to shop around or get a check, they’ll beat you all day long.
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

GettingComfortable wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:09 pm
Your insurance company will cover the repairs minus the deductible, and will then stand in your place to collect the full cost from the other driver's insurance. Your own rates shouldn't go up for a not-at-fault accident (or if they do, they would because the accident has been reported and will end up in CLUE, whether you file a claim or not).

The advantage of having your insurance handle this is that they have experience in dealing with this situation, and probably more leverage.
Wiki David Grabiner
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

GettingComfortable wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:09 pm

I'm 3-0, and have ultra-low premiums. Progressive will pay as they should, eventually.

Still haven't heard the theory I have ... hint: somewhat older, previously very-nice (nearly "restored") popular higher-end European car with minor/isolated damage.
One of your links in your post above includes the following:

"...most companies only submit a loss-history report if a claim is opened, so inquiries usually don't count. "However, some companies treat all inquiries as reportable because from their perspective, you typically don't call with a hypothetical question. It's best to find out from your insurance agent or company representative what the company's policy is on claim inquiries."

The way I see it, the best way to sidestep this trap is to not call your insurer's toll-free number at all. If you have an insurance agent, you should ask that commissioned rep any policy questions. The agent will want to keep your business and is less likely to automatically assign a claim number than an unknown employee at insurance company headquarters. Policyholders without agents should first pull out their policy documents and see whether their question is answered there....
"

It doesn't seem as common as your alarmist statements would indicate.

Additionally, at least for us, I've occasionally called with a question about a claim question. But we ALWAYS deal with our insurance broker, and I suspect that the above is correct about that situation, too.
Indeed, our broker has occasionally gone to bat for us by pushing our insurer to check again, or send another adjuster, etc., or to push the at-fault's insurer in a case like that described by OP.

As for the deductible? Nope. The at-fault party's insurer is still responsible for that deductible, regardless of how you file the claim (through their insurer or yours). That "deductible" is for their OWN insured, just as your deductible is for YOUR claims.
Your own insurer may pay you the claim in advance and then collect it from the other insurer. In that case, they may withhold the deductible until THEY collect it on your behalf from the other insurer. We've had this happen a few times, including almost 2 years ago, when a car came through our front fence, wiping out said fence and considerable plantings. We got estimates to replace it all, and sent it to our insurer (actually emailed to our broker; it's part of their job to help with claims). We got a check for all but the deductible remarkably quickly. The deductible followed later. Had we filed the claim with the other insurer, we have no doubt that ALL of the claim would have been delayed, not just the deductible.

RM
Topic Author
GettingComfortable

pizzy wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:23 pm Why aren’t you sharing your theory?
To see if y'all came to the same one -- that used cars are worth much more at the moment, and they may be angling to total the car for cheap and take possession, while it's voluntarily out of the owner's hands. And these cars are worth a lot more in just their parts too.
Topic Author
GettingComfortable

ResearchMed wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:08 pm ...But we ALWAYS deal with our insurance broker...
And their parent-company's policy doesn't require or even incentivize reporting all contacts?
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

GettingComfortable wrote: My (major brand) insurance company is known to raise rates even for inquiries. Otherwise is a great company.
Great companies don't behave badly.
hachiko

Post by hachiko »

GettingComfortable wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:25 pm
To see if y'all came to the same one -- that used cars are worth much more at the moment, and they may be angling to total the car for cheap and take possession, while it's voluntarily out of the owner's hands. And these cars are worth a lot more in just their parts too.
If this is their intent it would astonish me.

Insurance companies are in the business of insuring. They are not an auto dealership and don't want to deal with selling or breaking down your car for parts.

Also, you think the other party's insurance company is going to take possession of your car and not return it?
Made money. Lost money. Learned to stop counting.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

GettingComfortable wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:28 pm
ResearchMed wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:08 pm ...But we ALWAYS deal with our insurance broker...
And their parent-company's policy doesn't require or even incentivize reporting all contacts?
Did you read the part I quoted from your link?
Apparently not.

But there isn't "a" parent company. They handle several different insurers.

We've never noticed any rate change, or anything at all, when I've called our broker to ask, what if we insured this, or if that happened, or should we file a claim or just ask our neighbor to pay informally, etc., over the decades we've used them.

They've also gone to bat for us a few times to get our own insurance claim upped a bit, if we complained.
But usually, any claim is settled nicely, with one exception. That time, they had the insurer send another adjuster, one from one state over to give his opinion, and the claim amount skyrocketed, which was closer to what we had thought it should be all along.

As for Progressive, they do handle their policies. But when I asked once, about some ad I had seen, our broker said that she'd switch us, and yes, we'd see a reduction the first year. Then she added that almost every time they do that, the renewal comes in much higher, and clients squawk and switch back.
Because we don't have trouble with claims, we left things as is.

RM
softwaregeek

Post by softwaregeek »

GettingComfortable wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:42 pm Over many decades, we've been hit by a few at-fault drivers, and have always filed with their insurance and have been paid for the repairs.

Depends on the state but unlikely. Not allowed to raise rate for not-at-fault in my state, CA.
fortunefavored

Post by fortunefavored »

softwaregeek wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:44 pm

Depends on the state but unlikely. Not allowed to raise rate for not-at-fault in my state, CA.
They can, however, decline to renew your policy if you have several claims in a short period of time. Then your next company will charge you double or more for several years because you have been canceled.

Some companies will even count their roadside assistance as a "claim"

I can generally see the appeal of working through the at-fault insurance company to avoid this risk, but if I was the OP I'd be using my insurance - not worth the hassle once you start getting stonewalled.
user5027

Post by user5027 »

I was impressed by Progressive's claims handling about 15 years ago. Our new driver daughter's car was hit by a Progressive insured that admitted fought. Progressive sent an adjuster to our home. He had a tablet like device with built in printer. Before he left, he printed a check, handed my wife the check said, "take it wherever you like and if it's not enough, have them call me."
gac1979

Post by gac1979 »

Well, you can be darn sure the insurer will review mileage driven and everything other factor used in underwriting to make sure it’s “accurate.”
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

fortunefavored wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:08 am

They can, however, decline to renew your policy if you have several claims in a short period of time. Then your next company will charge you double or more for several years because you have been canceled.

Some companies will even count their roadside assistance as a "claim"

I can generally see the appeal of working through the at-fault insurance company to avoid this risk, but if I was the OP I'd be using my insurance - not worth the hassle once you start getting stonewalled.
Has anyone had experience with GEICO and roadside assistance claims? Did they, or did they not, raise the rate the next year?
Golf maniac

Post by Golf maniac »

If you google Progressive claims process reviews you will see a lot of unhappy people commenting. Many times it is someone who has been hit and the accident is the Progressive policy holder fault. Much difficulty getting Progressive to respond. I have also gone through my insurance to handle and never had any increase in rates for an accident when it is the other person’s fault. If your insurance will raise rates maybe it is time to find a better insurer.
OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner »

That is the last thing on the mind of a large insurance company.
Godot

Post by Godot »

If they raise rates even for inquiries they don't sound sound like such a "great company." What makes them great?
"The day you die is just like any other, only shorter." | ― Samuel Beckett
Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker »

OnceARunner wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:06 pm
That is the last thing on the mind of a large insurance company.
Correct. The insurance company profits from a lower payout. Low market values for cars make it more likely that the car will be totaled, and a lower payout than repair cost will be disbursed. A high market value for the car will make it more likely that the car will not be totaled, and the repairs will be covered at repair cost.
Topic Author
GettingComfortable

There appears there will be good progress to report, hopefully soon.
Boatguy

Post by Boatguy »

I know that Progressive’s offices around the country are still closed and virtually everyone is working from home. This is a logistics nightmare for them and companies like them. Their salespeople aren’t visiting agents, and there are tight restrictions on their claims reps as well.
This doesn’t make unresponsiveness excusable, and what you’ve described stinks.

I’m curious: In what state was the claim filed
beyou

Post by beyou »

Multiple times I have gotten all or most of my deductible back filing via my insurer, when it was clearly the other party’s fault.
Godot

Post by Godot »

Godot wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:30 pm

If they raise rates even for inquiries they don't sound like such a "great company." What makes them great?
"The day you die is just like any other, only shorter." | ― Samuel Beckett
grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner »

But this is just as much an issue whether the claim is with your insurance or the other driver's insurance. The claim will be on your CLUE report, so your insurance will know about the not-at-fault accident even if you don't file a claim with them, and can decline a renewal based on that claim.
Wiki David Grabiner
fortunefavored

Post by fortunefavored »

grabiner wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 8:44 am

But this is just as much an issue whether the claim is with your insurance or the other driver's insurance. The claim will be on your CLUE report, so your insurance will know about the not-at-fault accident even if you don't file a claim with them, and can decline a renewal based on that claim.
Has that happened? I definitely have seen cancellations in my example (family in insurance biz) but not your scenario - at least not obviously so (perhaps in some combination of other claims and maybe that tipped it over to cancellation?)

I admit insurance underwriting (even for those working in it) is quite opaque and only getting more so as the AIs take over. It is why I generally only look at insurance for catastrophic/liability reasons. I would avoid making any claim if possible.
criticalmass

Post by criticalmass »

GettingComfortable wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:45 pm I think I can guess, but am interested in your opinions.

Insurance companies like Progressive can sense when they are dealing with someone who isn't going to go out of the way to guard their interests fully. Be delighted that the car that hit you was insured, but why deal with the at-fault's insurance directly?

You have three options to get money:

1.) File a claim with your insurance company! Let them deal with the at-fault and their insurance company. This is the easiest and most time-efficient route for you, by far. If your own insurance company threatens you with raising rates for doing their job in an accident where you aren't at fault, switch auto insurance providers to a decent company as soon as this is over.

2.) Fix your car, pay the bill, then file a lawsuit against the at-fault driver in small claims court to get reimbursed for the reasonable repairs. Be prepared for filing fees and long delays. But who knows, maybe you will be invited to move your claim to a TV court show, with free travel and claim expenses reimbursed.

3.) Keep calling and contacting Progressive. Expect more of the same.
DrCheese

Post by DrCheese »

RudyS wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:43 am
Has anyone had experience with GEICO and roadside assistance claims? Did they, or did they not, raise the rate the next year?
I have used Geico's roadside assistance three times. They have not raised my rates.
fortunefavored

Post by fortunefavored »

DrCheese wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 7:10 pm
RudyS wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 11:43 am
I have used Geico's roadside assistance three times. They have not raised my rates.
Have you gotten any other quotes? I am curious if they report to CLUE and that effectively "traps" you with Geico.