30 year retirement

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
AlohaBill

30 year retirement

Post by AlohaBill »

I have been retired for 16 years. I would like to know who on this board has made it the proverbial 30 year retirement. I think Taylor is one. Also, sheepdog and maybe Mel.
wrongfunds

Re: 30 year retirement

Post by wrongfunds »

I thought you are not supposed to be alive at the end of 30 years (THAT IS A JOKE; may be in a bad taste, but still a joke!)
The Bengen paper allows one to have no assets left at the end of 30 year because it assumes 30 year life expectancy.
59Gibson

Post by 59Gibson »

Interesting?. Won't be many here, but it's been a pretty good mkt run since 91 so swr prob in 5-6% range.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (retirement).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
AlohaBill

Post by AlohaBill »

What about all the FIRE types? There must be some of them here.
Taylor Larimore

Post by Taylor Larimore »

AlohaBill wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:48 am I have been retired for 16 years. I would like to know who on this board has made it the proverbial 30 year retirement. I think Taylor is one. Also, sheepdog and maybe Mel.
AlohaBill:

I retired in 1982, 39 years ago.

Thank you, Jack!

Best wishes
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: Success, in short, can be measured not in what we attain for ourselves, but in what we contribute to society."
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Taylor Larimore wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 1:45 pm
AlohaBill wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:48 am I have been retired for 16 years. I would like to know who on this board has made it the proverbial 30 year retirement. I think Taylor is one. Also, sheepdog and maybe Mel.
AlohaBill:

Thank you, Jack!

Best wishes
Taylor
Jack Bogle's Words of Wisdom: Success, in short, can be measured not in what we attain for ourselves, but in what we contribute to society."
I wanna be like my good friend, Taylor, when I grow up. I've only been retired for 24 years. :-)
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:45 pm
AlohaBill:

Thank you, Jack!

Best wishes
Taylor
I wanna be like my good friend, Taylor, when I grow up. I've only been retired for 24 years. :-)
I want to be like both of you guys. I’m doing fine financially. I’d like to be more like you in terms of the humility, patience, and grace that you both continually show.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Normchad wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:49 pm
AlohaBill:

Thank you, Jack!

Best wishes
Taylor
I want to be like both of you guys. I’m doing fine financially. I’d like to be more like you in terms of the humility, patience, and grace that you both continually show.
Thank you for the kind words. Our work has been a true labor of love.
Eagle33

Post by Eagle33 »

AlohaBill:

Thank you, Jack!

Best wishes
Taylor
How much more than 25X was your portfolio 39 years ago?
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

I've only been retired for 6 years.

Just curious - why would you want to know who has 30 years? Are you going to ask them some special questions? Are you going to weight their answers differently from someone with only your 16 years?
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Maybe he’s thinking few make it 30 years so why worry🤔
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
bltn

Post by bltn »

Mel Lindauer wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 7:58 pm
Normchad wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 2:49 pm
AlohaBill:

Thank you, Jack!

Best wishes
Taylor
Thank you for the kind words. Our work has been a true labor of love.
I can tell.
Thanks for the education you guys have provided. I m trying to pass it down to my children.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

wrongfunds wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:54 pm I thought you are not supposed to be alive at the end of 30 years (THAT IS A JOKE; may be in a bad taste, but still a joke!)
The Bengen paper allows one to have no assets left at the end of 30 year because it assumes 30 year life expectancy.
According to the 2019 (the latest I can find) SS life expectancy tables, a 50 year old male has a life expectancy of 29.88 years, a 54 year old female has a life expectancy of 29.94 years. This is the closest I could come to hitting a 30 year life expectancy.

I do not think Bengen assumed a 30 year life expectancy for a retiree. Certainly life expectancies have increased since 1994 when he published his paper. I suspect 30 years is chosen because it is beyond average life expectancy by a comfortable margin.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

AlohaBill:

Thank you, Jack!

Best wishes
Taylor
Phenomenal!
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

CurlyDave wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:05 pm
wrongfunds wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 12:54 pm I thought you are not supposed to be alive at the end of 30 years (THAT IS A JOKE; may be in a bad taste, but still a joke!)
According to the 2019 (the latest I can find) SS life expectancy tables, a 50 year old male has a life expectancy of 29.88 years, a 54 year old female has a life expectancy of 29.94 years. This is the closest I could come to hitting a 30 year life expectancy.

I do not think Bengen assumed a 30 year life expectancy for a retiree. Certainly life expectancies have increased since 1994 when he published his paper. I suspect 30 years is chosen because it is beyond average life expectancy by a comfortable margin.
But that’s average across the US, and many of us have extraordinarily above average health care, diet, living standards etc.
CurlyDave

Post by CurlyDave »

AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:50 pm
...But that’s average across the US, and many of us have extraordinarily above average health care, diet, living standards etc.
If by "we" you mean Bogleheads, this group did not exist in 1994, and Bengen wrote his paper for general (mostly academic and financial professional) consumption, not for the future Boglehead community.
Answering a question is easy -- asking the right question is the hard part.
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

CurlyDave wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 9:49 pm
AnnetteLouisan wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:50 pm
...But that’s average across the US, and many of us have extraordinarily above average health care, diet, living standards etc.
If by "we" you mean Bogleheads, this group did not exist in 1994, and Bengen wrote his paper for general (mostly academic and financial professional) consumption, not for the future Boglehead community.
Yes I meant Bogleheads. Thank you.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

Thirty-three years for me. My spouse made it to thirty one years.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Me, too.
I am completing my 23rd year next month.
Woof Woof
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle »

My father, still going at 99, and my wife's father, who made it to 96, both retired at 62, so they made it past thirty years. However, neither of them managed their own finances past 92. Taylor is the best example for all of us! I follow his advice.
Topic Author
AlohaBill

Post by AlohaBill »

Tennis:
You are correct. I think the assumption that 30 years in retirement starting at 65 is a stretch. I think Otar assumed something like 20 or 25 years. As we can see here, only Taylor has survived the thirty years or is the only one able to or willing to report. It’s also why I think the number crunching, hand wringing hang ups on swr, sorr, asset allocation is overdone. In the end we all die.
Topic Author
AlohaBill

Post by AlohaBill »

Little bird,
that’s great. Congratulations to you! You and Taylor have beaten the odds. Mel and sheepdog are far too young. Love to all.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

AlohaBill wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:36 am Little bird,
that’s great. Congratulations to you! You and Taylor have beaten the odds. Mel and sheepdog are far too young. Love to all.
I had an early start. :D
friar1610

Post by friar1610 »

Thanks in particular to Mel for his promotion of I-Bonds. I’m waiting anxiously to add the as-yet-undisclosed Nov. inflation adjustment to the 3.4% fixed issues he encouraged me to buy.

(Retired 18 years)
Friar1610 | 50-ish/50-ish - a satisficer, not a maximizer
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

friar1610 wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:48 pm Thanks in particular to Mel for his promotion of I-Bonds. I’m waiting anxiously to add the as-yet-undisclosed Nov. inflation adjustment to the 3.4% fixed issues he encouraged me to buy.

(Retired 18 years)
Glad to hear that you got some of those good 3.4% ones. Actually, there was one more batch a bit better (3.6%) and I've got some of those, too. :-)
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

AlohaBill wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:36 am Little bird,
However, there's still hope for me. Mom made it to 92 and we buried my Dad on his 99th birthday, so I do have good genes.
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

My compliments to all of the senior members on this forum. When I first found this forum (5 years ago) I was a lost soul with investing. My comment is that when I did ask questions about investing, you senior members always answered with straight forward, direct and respectful answers...... no condescending remarks....to me that was paramount.......thank you! I have learned volumes from you folks.

BTW....I guess I'm still a younger.......just finishing up on my 12th year of retirement!!! You folks have made a difference.....and I thank you for it! :sharebeer
augryphon

Post by augryphon »

Congratulations on long and productive retirements.

I’ve recently been informally studying my utility company’s former employees lengths of retirement. Most retired with a pension between 55 and 62, with very few going past 65. 30 years in retirement is pretty rare, around 10%, the most common length of retirement is 15-20 years, accounting for around 50% of retirees. I do love my work, but seeing this data has led me to reevaluate my retirement date.
misterjohnny

Post by misterjohnny »

My father, who is my financial inspiration, will hit 30 years of retirement in November. Worked his way up from soldering leads on a production line and a high school education to managing a 1000 person production line in the aerospace world. He wanted me to be an engineer, I became a Business-Finance guy instead. He still manages his own investments, and we talk about asset allocation and taxes. We live in CA so taxes are very important.

Me, I'm only in year 2 of retirement. Got a ways to go. :D