Building a House in This Market/Can it be Done "Frugally"?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
CoastLawyer2030

Re: Building a House in This Market/Can it be Done "Frugally"?

Post by CoastLawyer2030 »

runninginvestor wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:08 pm You mentioned squaring the floor plan above. If you were going to be making modifications to an existing floor plan, I would recommend making it accessible as much as possible. Especially so if you're building a ranch. Much easier to incorporate and consider these things now if building than down the line if needed. *

Ie, 34-36" doors, accessible turn radius and layout in the bathroom, hallways wide (off applicable, actually the less hallway you have the less wasted square footage on your home as well), space between islands and counters, zeo step entries, pocket doors if you wanted for space, etc.

* We will likely be building from a floor plan because of the lack of accessible single family homes in our area. It'll also make aging ij the home easier.
Great thought, especially since we may want our own parents to live with us some day.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

CoastLawyer2030 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:55 am
Sandtrap wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 8:23 am
CoastLawyer2030 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:37 am
IF this were purely my decision then I would lean towards buying an existing home. A flip — even an expensive one — would be way cheaper, take less time, and be less of a hassle.

But I’ve brought this up to my wife and she states that if we are going to move she wants a new build, even with knowing it’s more of a hassle.

On this point it’s not a dollars and sense issue for her and I have to respect that as her spouse.
Good choice!
Yes.

That's why we live where we live in the home that we are in and things are absolutely great!!!!

Okay: Actionably:

Home criteria?

Options:
View lot with forever views of wide open untouched spaces.
Quiet. No sounds of civilization (buses, trucks, traffic, highway din, street lights, etc)
Home with enough room for home office, home gym, den, etc.
3-4 car enclosed garage
Open outside decks for view and so forth
Distant neighbors
Open enclosed courtyard and small easy to maintain yard and property.
20-30 minutes away from the city and shopping and conveniences.

How is this? :D :D
j :D
Since you’re the expert — this looks like an ideal build for being prudent/avoid surprises, yes? Easy roof lines. I would “square” the floor plan in the back to make that one easy foundation wall.

Am I on the right track?

https://www.thehousedesigners.com/plan/harwinton-2435/
I'm no exspert.
Here's an example of high cost but for appearance and design.
It's a single level home but all the pop outs on the roof and changes of the roof adds up from the framing to the trusses to the roofing, etc.
https://www.thehousedesigners.com/plan/ ... ille-4318/
But, this doesn't mean that a home has to be featureless and dull looking and have too much emphasis on practical vs some design esthetics in order to save costs.
So, let's say, and "L" layout but with a hip or gable roof with no transitions except for the one at the intersect, and no roof penetrations for "pop outs" (lookouts) if a single family home. As far as roof costs, the trusses are simpler, saves in time and labor, and so forth. But, put in a quality underlayment and roof. That's one example.
So, the idea is to put dollars where they have the greatest return first, not spending a whole lot of money for something, for example, that is purely aesthetic and "wow! Look at me" but has not function unless that is what you want.
For example: there are many homes in my region of town that are very high end. Grand entryways, huge living room/kitchen/grand room entries, and very spiffy front street facing fascades and design features. Yet, once inside, the bedrooms and dens and so forth are on the side wings of the main body of the showplace home, with narrow dark hallways, tiny bedrooms, etc. And, the roof is towering with fancy popouts, and transitions, yet, it's a single story home. So, it appears to be much larger than it really is in living sf. But, it might be great for entertaining large mobs of people and certainly has an impression. This is just one example of a home that's designed for certain things that may or may not appeal to everyone. Some of my R/E developer friends used to call homes like this "Wow Me" homes as a slang. They can be very impressive and cool looking. Like walking into the reception grand area of a resort hotel building and expecting to be waited on. (kidding).

Anyway, that's an example how design can effect costs vs other factors.
Long ago, before CADD Architectural Design programs, there were concurrent classes in blueprint and drafting along with architectural design and construction project management, so they all segued together. Now, it's much easier with a zillion consumer DIY home design programs.

Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Californiastate

Post by Californiastate »

I like the KISS acronym. Keep it simple. You mention that "frugally" is how you would like to proceed. It's less expensive to replace the HVAC unit and all of your windows than to build a new home. Add in the stress costs of building a new home while being totally unfamiliar with the process. The best frugal course is to do nothing and stay in your current home. The HVAC isn't broke. Leave it alone and continue usual maintenance. I didn't see any detail on your window problems but they can be repaired as needed. Last but not least, stay and don't pay capital gains taxes.
Topic Author
CoastLawyer2030

Sandtrap wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 1:37 pm
IF this were purely my decision then I would lean towards buying an existing home. A flip — even an expensive one — would be way cheaper, take less time, and be less of a hassle.

But I’ve brought this up to my wife and she states that if we are going to move she wants a new build, even with knowing it’s more of a hassle.

On this point it’s not a dollars and sense issue for her and I have to respect that as her spouse.
Good choice!
Yes.

That's why we live where we live in the home that we are in and things are absolutely great!!!!

Home criteria?

Options:
Quiet. No sounds of civilization (buses, trucks, traffic, highway din, street lights, etc)
3-4 car enclosed garage
Distant neighbors

Since you’re the expert — this looks like an ideal build for being prudent/avoid surprises, yes? Easy roof lines. I would “square” the floor plan in the back to make that one easy foundation wall.

Am I on the right track?

I'm no exspert.
It's a single level home but all the pop outs on the roof and changes of the roof adds up from the framing to the trusses to the roofing, etc.
But, this doesn't mean that a home has to be featureless and dull looking and have too much emphasis on practical vs some design esthetics in order to save costs.
So, let's say, and "L" layout but with a hip or gable roof with no transitions except for the one at the intersect, and no roof penetrations for "pop outs" (lookouts) if a single family home. As far as roof costs, the trusses are simpler, saves in time and labor, and so forth. But, put in a quality underlayment and roof. That's one example.
So, the idea is to put dollars where they have the greatest return first, not spending a whole lot of money for something, for example, that is purely aesthetic and "wow! Look at me" but has not function unless that is what you want.
For example: there are many homes in my region of town that are very high end. Grand entryways, huge living room/kitchen/grand room entries, and very spiffy front street facing fascades and design features. Yet, once inside, the bedrooms and dens and so forth are on the side wings of the main body of the showplace home, with narrow dark hallways, tiny bedrooms, etc. And, the roof is towering with fancy popouts, and transitions, yet, it's a single story home. So, it appears to be much larger than it really is in living sf. But, it might be great for entertaining large mobs of people and certainly has an impression. This is just one example of a home that's designed for certain things that may or may not appeal to everyone. Some of my R/E developer friends used to call homes like this "Wow Me" homes as a slang. They can be very impressive and cool looking. Like walking into the reception grand area of a resort hotel building and expecting to be waited on. (kidding).

Long ago, before CADD Architectural Design programs, there were concurrent classes in blueprint and drafting along with architectural design and construction project management, so they all segued together. Now, it's much easier with a zillion consumer DIY home design programs.

I think we are going to end up going with something similar to what I posted earlier, with a 4/12 pitch roof, but with this aesthetic:

https://www.familyhomeplans.com/plan-92396

We would eliminate that window in the middle of the house.

From my amateur view it is a relatively simple roof. I will work with the builder to make the costs work.
SmallSaver

Post by SmallSaver »

CoastLawyer2030 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:17 am
Segway to my new thought (I wish my brain would pause sometimes) -- why not use this new found equity to build a new house? I represent several homebuilders in my legal practice, and two stated I could build a 1,600 square foot ranch for approximately $290-300,000. That's much more expensive than it would have been pre-pandemic, but in my mind, given the equity we have now, who cares?
I haven't built any homes but I've managed a few commercial construction projects as a client, and I learned early that what architects/builders quote as the cost to build is often pure construction cost, i.e. excluding design, testing and permits, furnishings, and sometimes landscaping. If you do go down this road make sure you have a good sense of the all-in price, and a healthy contingency. Where I am architects are quoting $200-$250/sf for construction alone.
LilyFleur

Post by LilyFleur »

JoeRetire wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:04 am
CoastLawyer2030 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:17 amI'm extremely keen to sell the house because the A/C is from 1999, we need new windows, etc. Basically in the next five years we will spend $20,000 there.
If those are the only major problems with the house, you would be making a huge mistake to sell it.
I agree.
And A/C and new windows are a fraction of your time compared to a new build.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

CoastLawyer2030 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 7:43 am
onourway wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 6:12 am
CoastLawyer2030 wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 5:53 am
casualflower wrote: Sat Sep 18, 2021 3:11 pm Selling a house because it needs updated windows and HVAC doesn't seem like a good idea. Pay to have those updated instead.

I think you're underestimating the amount of effort it takes to build a home. Not that you personally are building it, but it's your decisions, you being on top of the GC, meeting deadlines (gotta get that house built before the construction loan expires!), living where while this happens? Do you know what's involved in a construction loan? Are you willing to risk your relationship with your client/builder?
To be clear, the main driver of selling the house (by a long mile) is that it has appreciated $150k in two years. I consider not having to do the A/C and windows in the next five years to be another $20k/25k bonus.

Regarding time, my general idea is that once we pick a floor plan and all that, I am leaving all the building decisions to my wife and her sister. And generally I view that if we make this move and save this much money, my wife does not have to work, so she will have time.
I think that’s a very poor reason. As others have said, you are greatly underestimating the amount of work it will require to manage building a custom home. Even with your wife making most of the design decisions and a GC, you are still responsible for a ton of decisions and the management of a lot of people. Supply issues are a significant risk right now; not only in terms of inflated costs, but that your entire project may be stalled indefinitely due to the inability to acquire a key material. I expect that in the end, a great deal of your expected $150k of ‘profit’ will be absorbed by a combination of cost overruns due to supply constraints and the inevitable expansion of project scope ( ie. better than builder grade materials, appliances, HVAC, landscaping, driveway, window treatments, new furniture, etc. etc. etc.)

If you really want to build a custom home, you should do it, but I would absolutely not make this change, in this environment, thinking you are going to make a bunch of money on the deal.
I know probably everyone says this but we really are simple people. Laminate countertops and $50 faucet type people for a new build. Currently we drive a 15 Camry and a 13 RAV4. We cancel cable after football season.

I really doubt we will fall to all the fancy stuff. It’s just not our thing.
You may be quite surprised when DW wants upgraded finishes. When choosing for a new home it may b very hard not to choose some beautiful granite and pretty cabinets.
Radnog

Post by Radnog »

In my experience “building a house” and “frugally” do not co-exist well for an optimal “new house” outcome.

I wouldn’t want to “settle” on build details or furnishings and potentially regret it later.

Environment is ripe to get rocked on a new build project too…. “supply chain and CV19” is all it takes for builders to raise cost or cut scope
toomanysidehustles

Post by toomanysidehustles »

CoastLawyer2030 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 8:17 am

With that in mind, (1) am I crazy, and (2) what are some ways to save money for a new build?
I would take your current budget of where you think you will be and add 30% if building from the ground up in this market. We are renovating our house pretty much down to the studs..including 3 new sliding glass doors, 20 windows, two new gas fireplaces, 3 new bathrooms, new kitchen, moving 3 walls, etc. and in this market nothing is "firm" we've learned. But we love our house, location, and 26 year old trees all around us so it was all worth it. We just didn't love the dated 1994 honey oak trim and white appliances that were starting to turn yellow. :oops:
Reamus294

Post by Reamus294 »

I don’t think it is a frugal decision, but I think you should do it if it fits your lifestyle more. I have never built but I believe what everyone says about budget creep, not knowing the additional costs, and that it can be stressful.

To put it in perspective you can compare values several years ago to see what areas had the largest increase. Same mortgage, but which would be worth more years from now?

Being able to walk to work and other things you like sounds very appealing. So does living in a new house that you don’t feel like you need to update is also nice.
FandangoDave5010

Post by FandangoDave5010 »

I agree that the building a new house has problems besides size, design and cost. If DW or DH cannot always agree on how things are going with the construction or with the GC, there will be times when you may want to kill yourself for wanting a new house. I know, having had two homes built on large acre lots requiring site development, septic and well. The fact that I am writing this is because the gods decided it was not my time. \

To the question "Can it be done frugally?" the answer is NO. We did it in 1972 when a 3 acre lot in Northern NJ was $13,000 and the house was $65,000. Today, NADA.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

Major reconstruction/building a house must be in the top two or three most stressful and costly things in our lifetime. We lucked out with *just* a 10% overrun on a big project. Happy with results.

Have friends who are still going thru a nightmare reno, new contractors to fix what old contractors did not do etc.

I don't think I'll ever touch a big remodel/custom build ever again. It is a minefield unless you have 100% confidence in your contractor and have the time to manage a huge project. Always factor 20% overrun imo. Good luck!
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
MileKing

Post by MileKing »

SmallSaver makes an excellent point about understanding what is included and what is excluded when a builder provides you an estimate. Generally, a custom home builder who provides an estimated total or $/sf cost is only including the cost of the structure and finishes. Other items you may need to consider:
- Design/Engineering/Plans
- Permits & Impact/Development Fees
- Utilities (electric/gas/water or well/septic)
- Site excavation
- Driveway
- Landscaping (almost never included in a builder’s estimate)
- Land (almost never included in a builder’s estimate)
I suggest talking in more detail with your builder clients to identify if the estimates they provided include any or all of the above, and what the total cost might be if the missing elements were added. In my area, new custom homes are running $375-400/sf all-in (including everything listed above except land and landscaping) for “nice” but not over the top homes.

If you purchase plans off the Internet, it is very likely you will need to engage a local architect and engineer anyway to bring the plans up to code for your location.
Topic Author
CoastLawyer2030

MileKing wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:45 pm SmallSaver makes an excellent point about understanding what is included and what is excluded when a builder provides you an estimate. Generally, a custom home builder who provides an estimated total or $/sf cost is only including the cost of the structure and finishes. Other items you may need to consider:
- Design/Engineering/Plans
- Permits & Impact/Development Fees
- Utilities (electric/gas/water or well/septic)
- Site excavation
- Driveway
- Landscaping (almost never included in a builder’s estimate)
- Land (almost never included in a builder’s estimate)
I suggest talking in more detail with your builder clients to identify if the estimates they provided include any or all of the above, and what the total cost might be if the missing elements were added. In my area, new custom homes are running $375-400/sf all-in (including everything listed above except land and landscaping) for “nice” but not over the top homes.

If you purchase plans off the Internet, it is very likely you will need to engage a local architect and engineer anyway to bring the plans up to code for your location.
I’ve officially set up a meeting with the builder in about a week and a half. I appreciate this list.
Topic Author
CoastLawyer2030

Good choice!
Yes.

Home criteria?

Options:
3-4 car enclosed garage
Distant neighbors

Am I on the right track?

I'm no exspert.

Taking your advice into account, I have made the following 1,600 square foot floor plan (I am using Google Sheets to draw, so wall thickness not taken into account).

I have tried to make it as square as possible. The general idea is for there to be a 4/12 (maybe 6/12) roof going across the structure with 4/12 pitch gables over the garage and front porch.

I think this fits in well with the neighborhood, which is full of middle class homes that have similar designs and roof pitches. Going back to the name of this thread, I think this is a half-decent start of a design with frugality in mind.

Any thoughts?

Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

CoastLawyer2030 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:47 am

Good choice!
Yes.

Home criteria?

Options:
3-4 car enclosed garage
Distant neighbors

Am I on the right track?

I'm no exspert.

Taking your advice into account, I have made the following 1,600 square foot floor plan (I am using Google Sheets to draw, so wall thickness not taken into account).

I have tried to make it as square as possible. The general idea is for there to be a 4/12 (maybe 6/12) roof going across the structure with 4/12 pitch gables over the garage and front porch.

I think this fits in well with the neighborhood, which is full of middle class homes that have similar designs and roof pitches. Going back to the name of this thread, I think this is a half-decent start of a design with frugality in mind.

Any thoughts?

(Full post retained for continuity)

Very nice.
As long as you and spouse like it for practicality and so forth.
What can make any floor plan stand out is the interior design and use of materials. IE step in showers with no doors, modern cabinetry, contemporary lighting and fixtures, types of doors and windows, etc.
Go to a lot of model homes in new subdivisions and custom home open houses to get ideas down to the smallest design touches. IE: Kitchen pantry and master walk in closet design. Notice that between similar square foot homes one looks like a plain box on these areas vs others that “wow”.
There are a lot of these things that don’t drive up costs greatly but make a huge difference because they all add up as an interior and exterior “theme”.
A small example: shower stall tile cut out area the size of a shoe box for soap n things vs a plain flat wall. Or affordable Large slab Italian type tile or solid surface vs prefab.

j🌺
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

CoastLawyer2030 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:47 am [...Shortened by runninginvestor...]
Any thoughts?

When it comes down to it's sketching up the plan you may want to explore what the exterior will look like. In my mind, bed2, id have the same window setup as bed 1 on the west wall, and the windows for bed 2 facing the porch would be removed (privacy).

Or alternatively, move the porch in front of the living room as you can keep the big bay window In the LR with the porch in front of it, while also keeping those bed2 windows without a porch in front of it (maybe shrubs, or garden).

If you wanted more space in your MBR and hallway there, you could also play around with pushing the garage southward so that's nice. If it's flush with the porch it could help with the roof design also.
Topic Author
CoastLawyer2030

runninginvestor wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:27 am
CoastLawyer2030 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 7:47 am [...Shortened by runninginvestor...]
Any thoughts?

When it comes down to it's sketching up the plan you may want to explore what the exterior will look like. In my mind, bed2, id have the same window setup as bed 1 on the west wall, and the windows for bed 2 facing the porch would be removed (privacy).

Or alternatively, move the porch in front of the living room as you can keep the big bay window In the LR with the porch in front of it, while also keeping those bed2 windows without a porch in front of it (maybe shrubs, or garden).

If you wanted more space in your MBR and hallway there, you could also play around with pushing the garage southward so that's nice. If it's flush with the porch it could help with the roof design also.
Goal is for front to look something like this, but with front-facing garage, lesser pitched roofs, and probably no stone work.

runninginvestor

Post by runninginvestor »

CoastLawyer2030 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:48 am
Goal is for front to look something like this, but with front-facing garage, lesser pitched roofs, and probably no stone work.

Gotcha, that makes sense. Homes with front porch access to bedroom windows are not my style. It would have made sneaking out much easier than jumping over bushes when I was a teenager though! But that goes both ways for others being able to enter/look in.

Edit: I don't know if I've mentioned this yet either, but don't neglect considerations for your lot either! I'm not sure where you are located in the country but here in the Midwest or wherever it snows, having a south facing driveway is a benefit. It's nice not having to necessarily shovel for light snowfalls as a sunny day will melt it off.
Topic Author
CoastLawyer2030

runninginvestor wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 11:20 am
CoastLawyer2030 wrote: Mon Oct 04, 2021 10:48 am

Gotcha, that makes sense. Homes with front porch access to bedroom windows are not my style. It would have made sneaking out much easier than jumping over bushes when I was a teenager though! But that goes both ways for others being able to enter/look in.

Edit: I don't know if I've mentioned this yet either, but don't neglect considerations for your lot either! I'm not sure where you are located in the country but here in the Midwest or wherever it snows, having a south facing driveway is a benefit. It's nice not having to necessarily shovel for light snowfalls as a sunny day will melt it off.
I am in NE Ohio and my current house faces North; trust me, I have thought of this.

The best part about the lot facing south is that it gives you an almost limitless amount of plants to work with for landscaping. So many more color options/variety.
Topic Author
CoastLawyer2030

Had our second meeting with the builder yesterday. They drew it up in CAD and it was really impressive to see my design/floor plan come to life. The architect actually said it was an "extremely functional" plan that they might use in the future.

The plan as drawn turned out to be 1607 square feet. The all-in cost (lot, driveway, HVAC, everything, etc.) was ... $361,000. Yikes.

The builder is a client of mine. He has agreed to knock $10,000 off.

I am also scheduling a third meeting with the architect. Per my meeting yesterday it is $202/square foot to build. I am trying to knock off about 150 square feet, which is more than doable. I believe that puts our all-in cost at $320,000.

A comparable house right up the street from our current house (that to me is not as nice) just sold for $381,000. My realtor says ours would come in right about there at absolute worst.

Basically take "bubble equity" and put it on our new loan.

Still leaning towards doing it but this is a scary decision.