Retiring during a pandemic

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
namajones

Retiring during a pandemic

Post by namajones »

I'm ready to retire, financial and emotionally. But the idea of retiring into or during a pandemic does not appeal to me. Restricted travel, face masks, etc., etc. I'm thinking I may as well continue working until all of this stuff dies down. More money in the bank...not much of value to spend it on if I were to retire.

If you've retired or are expecting to retire during this pandemic (and who knows how long it will last), what has been your thought process or experience?

Thanks.
LuckyGuy

Re: Retiring during a pandemic

Post by LuckyGuy »

My wife retired just before the pandemic. She says she’s glad she still did it. But I think she is somewhat bored as we had planned lots of travel. I think it depends how bad you want to quit what you are doing.
Ed 2

Post by Ed 2 »

If you ready than go . But, I am not going to spoil your plans if you have not noticed we are pretty much going into endemic territory for years. So, if I was you I would ask myself why I am still hesitant.
"The fund industry doesn't have a lot of heroes, but he (Bogle) is one of them," Russ Kinnel
Topic Author
namajones

Post by namajones »

Ed 2 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:21 am If you ready than go . But, I am not going to spoil your plans if you have not noticed we are pretty much going into endemic territory for years. So, if I was you I would ask myself why I am still hesitant.
Thanks. I'm still hesitant primarily (or almost solely) because I want life to feel "normal" again as I venture out to the places (foreign) that I've looked forward to visiting and living in for the past 25 years (or more). If I end up sitting at home most of the time, well, I may as well continue working--or at least it's a tougher call, since I can work from home.

So that's it. Endemic...well, I'm not sure what that means in practical terms. Europe is 70+ percent vaccinated. I'm assuming the vaccines will allow life in heavily vaccinated areas to return to normal sometime in the next year.
Topic Author
namajones

Post by namajones »

LuckyGuy wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:18 am My wife retired just before the pandemic. She says she’s glad she still did it. But I think she is somewhat bored as we had planned lots of travel. I think it depends how bad you want to quit what you are doing.
That sounds like what I'm concerned about. Thanks for the feedback.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

If your concept of retirement is dominated by travel, I’d suggest thinking more broadly. Pandemic aside, there are many reasons why one’s primary plans for retirement get derailed — sometimes it is as simple as a change of heart. The risk of a single-minded view of life after retirement is that something changes and “then what?”
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Topic Author
namajones

Post by namajones »

jebmke wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:55 am If your concept of retirement is dominated by travel, I’d suggest thinking more broadly. Pandemic aside, there are many reasons why one’s primary plans for retirement get derailed — sometimes it is as simple as a change of heart. The risk of a single-minded view of life after retirement is that something changes and “then what?”
Good point. I'm perfectly content to do nothing--or to allow the space that comes from doing nothing to lead me in a direction I may not have considered (or considered as an immediate post-retirement activity or goal).

So I think what you're saying is to make the decision to retire separate from the external circumstances into which one will retire. That's something to consider.
Last edited by namajones on Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chip

Post by Chip »

I actually felt fortunate to be retired during this pandemic, despite the travel curtailment. I had no money worries and was able to choose the times & places where I had to be around potentially infected people.
Topic Author
namajones

Post by namajones »

Chip wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:03 am I actually felt fortunate to be retired during this pandemic, despite the travel curtailment. I had no money worries and was able to choose the times & places where I had to be around potentially infected people.
Yes, another excellent viewpoint. Thanks.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

namajones wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:31 am So that's it. Endemic...well, I'm not sure what that means in practical terms. Europe is 70+ percent vaccinated. I'm assuming the vaccines will allow life in heavily vaccinated areas to return to normal sometime in the next year.
So wait until things actually do "return to normal", then retire.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

jebmke wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:55 am If your concept of retirement is dominated by travel, I’d suggest thinking more broadly. Pandemic aside, there are many reasons why one’s primary plans for retirement get derailed — sometimes it is as simple as a change of heart. The risk of a single-minded view of life after retirement is that something changes and “then what?”
+1. I agree. Regardless of how much traveling you plan to do, retirement should be more well rounded. For example, the first 2 years of my retirement we did a lot of remodeling. I was also doing volunteer consulting about 2 days a week for a global Christian ministry. I did not have time for traveling then. Think about all the things you want to do in retirement and figure out the optimal time to retire based upon your Retirement Plan (yes, you should have plan for how to spend your time in retirement). Best wishes.
Sandtrap
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi - white sandy beaches, N. Arizona 1 mile high.

Post by Sandtrap »

namajones wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:12 am I'm ready to retire, financial and emotionally. But the idea of retiring into or during a pandemic does not appeal to me. Restricted travel, face masks, etc., etc. I'm thinking I may as well continue working until all of this stuff dies down. More money in the bank...not much of value to spend it on if I were to retire.

If you've retired or are expecting to retire during this pandemic (and who knows how long it will last), what has been your thought process or experience?

Thanks.
Another point of view is to delete "pandemic" as a framework and restrictive construct which may not only be emotionally and mentally, etc, healthy, but open up a whole world of dynamic possibilities.

The world and life is not "The Pandemic".
OP: "...I'm ready to retire. . . "
The size of one's assets and income stream in retirement gives one more options or less.
Is you financial retirement portfolio in order and ready?

IE: for DW and I, retired, "The Pandemic" has not effected our lifestyles or routines, etc, nor our mentation.
j :D

dis laimer: zillions of points of view and zillions of opinonions on these sorts of things and more. :shock:
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
Topic Author
namajones

Post by namajones »

Sandtrap wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:10 am

IE: for DW and I, retired, "The Pandemic" has not effected our lifestyles or routines, etc, nor our mentation.

dis laimer: zillions of points of view and zillions of opinonions on these sorts of things and more. :shock:
Oui. Well, one can always stick around and make more money, but at a certain point it just doesn't make sense.
59Gibson

Post by 59Gibson »

namajones wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:12 am I'm ready to retire, financial and emotionally. But the idea of retiring into or during a pandemic does not appeal to me. Restricted travel, face masks, etc., etc. I'm thinking I may as well continue working until all of this stuff dies down. More money in the bank...not much of value to spend it on if I were to retire.

Thanks.
Another point of view is to delete "pandemic" as a framework and restrictive construct which may not only be emotionally and mentally, etc, healthy, but open up a whole world of dynamic possibilities.

The world and life is not "The Pandemic".
OP: "...I'm ready to retire. . . "
The size of one's assets and income stream in retirement gives one more options or less.

+1000 for logical thinking.
Wricha

Post by Wricha »

The restrictions of the pandemic have had an affect on retirees (I am one) and working folks alike. I will tell you I am glad to be retired during these unsettling times. I do get antsy at times about travel but having the freedom with the rest of my life priceless.
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

Your concern is very valid, unless you have a planned well. I retired Jan 2021, in the thick of the Pandemic. While travel has been limited (couple of car trips in July & August) I have been very busy. Spending much needed one-on-one time with my Family, taking long bike rides on my new e-bike, walking dog, managing & aligning investments, and posting on BH's. When weather turns more cold, I plan to work on myself with improved eating and more working out. If your financial plan says you are ready, then no need to wait and redeem more life expectancy for a paycheck. If you planned the work (retirement) then work the plan (retirement) - JUST DO IT! :beer
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

namajones wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:14 am

Oui. Well, one can always stick around and make more money, but at a certain point it just doesn't make sense.
Yes.
You are right.
You are correct in that aspect.

However, The focus on the missive was the artificial construct, not the money.
OP's title: "Retiring during a pandemic".

dis laimer: zillions of points of view, zillions of opinonions, on zillions of things.
Topic Author
namajones

Post by namajones »

AllMostThere wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:21 am Your concern is very valid, unless you have a planned well. I retired Jan 2021, in the thick of the Pandemic. While travel has been limited (couple of car trips in July & August) I have been very busy. Spending much needed one-on-one time with my Family, taking long bike rides on my new e-bike, walking dog, managing & aligning investments, and posting on BH's. When weather turns more cold, I plan to work on myself with improved eating and more working out. If your financial plan says you are ready, then no need to wait and redeem more life expectancy for a paycheck. If you planned the work (retirement) then work the plan (retirement) - JUST DO IT! :beer
Well said.

What kind of e-bike? On bicycles: I have a Brompton and hate to admit that I sometimes wish it were electrified so that I could just enjoy the ride a bit more. Getting older and lazier!
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

AllMostThere wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:21 am Your concern is very valid, unless you have a planned well. I retired Jan 2021, in the thick of the Pandemic. While travel has been limited (couple of car trips in July & August) I have been very busy. Spending much needed one-on-one time with my Family, taking long bike rides on my new e-bike, walking dog, managing & aligning investments, and posting on BH's. When weather turns more cold, I plan to work on myself with improved eating and more working out. If your financial plan says you are ready, then no need to wait and redeem more life expectancy for a paycheck. If you planned the work (retirement) then work the plan (retirement) - JUST DO IT! :beer
Great points, and point of view, perspective!
Well said.

Aloha
punkinhead

Post by punkinhead »

I retired in May. Fishing, motorcycle riding, kayaking, building furniture, offroading in my side by side - covid doesn't effect any of that. If travel is your thing you can stay in cabins or AirBnB's so you can cook your own meals and avoid restaurants. Covid hasn't dampened my summer in the least.
Wanderingwheelz

Post by Wanderingwheelz »

JoeRetire wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:06 am
namajones wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:31 am So that's it. Endemic...well, I'm not sure what that means in practical terms. Europe is 70+ percent vaccinated. I'm assuming the vaccines will allow life in heavily vaccinated areas to return to normal sometime in the next year.
So wait until things actually do "return to normal", then retire.
I’d want to be exacting on my definition of normal, because it’s going to be a long time before our lives are the way they were. I’d want some parameters that extend past travel, certainly, because you’re likely to find that once you to retire you’ll spend time doing things, things you really enjoy, that you hadn’t considered.

For many, this will be another reason to work one more year. And then another. It’ll never be 2019 again.
Being wrong compounds forever.
Carguy85

Post by Carguy85 »

You would be best to forget the thought about it going away. It’s going nowhere as some above have mentioned so maybe you need to move to a different area of the country to feel more normal?
fortunefavored

Post by fortunefavored »

I agree with others saying "do it" - what happens if 1 year in you're diagnosed with some condition that precludes travel? Un-retire? No, you'll find other amazing things to do with your free time.

I hung it up in January, and I'm busier than I was working and I expect to be so indefinitely - although the mix will change as different activities become available.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

There are positives and negatives to everything, if it doesn’t feel like the right time to retire, then don’t.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
AllMostThere

Post by AllMostThere »

namajones wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:23 am What kind of e-bike? On bicycles: I have a Brompton and hate to admit that I sometimes wish it were electrified so that I could just enjoy the ride a bit more. Getting older and lazier!
+1 on the e-Bike. I have the Rad Rover (Fat Tire e-Bike) and DW has the RAD City Step Thru e-Bike. They are soooo much fun to ride. I am a bigger guy, so I really like the Fat Tire bike on the bumpy Michigan roads and paved trails. While they have a throttle only option on all the bikes, we like the Power Assisted Pedal mode as you still need to pedal the bike. Going up hills is a breeze. Don't let other's shame you that an e-Bike is not biking. This opinion is totally wrong as you still need to move your legs and use your core for balance, which is excellent exercise. You will find yourself going 3x farther than planned, in the same amount of time and have a blast doing it. Yesterday, I went on a 17 mile bike ride and today I am feeling it. These e-Bikes make us feel young again. I get 30 - 35 miles per charge, and DW (lighter than me :happy) gets ~ 45 miles per charge. I really like the Rad Power Bikes, as there is a huge community of aftermarket products available and any future part needs should be readily available.
It is not about how much you make; it is about how much you keep and how well you invest it. - Author Unknown | Dream as if you’ll live forever. Live as if you’ll die today. - Author James Dean
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

namajones wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:02 am
Good point. I'm perfectly content to do nothing--or to allow the space that comes from doing nothing to lead me in a direction I may not have considered (or considered as an immediate post-retirement activity or goal).

So I think what you're saying is to make the decision to retire separate from the external circumstances into which one will retire. That's something to consider.
There is a lot in between doing nothing and traveling the world.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
HeelaMonster

Post by HeelaMonster »

I retired in Jan 2020, and a couple weeks later first Covid cases appeared in US. On balance, it's been fine and I wouldn't have altered plans to retire, but it's been a mixed bag. In no particular order:

* It was sort of odd that, just as I was moving home (i.e., not going in to office) and figuring out new routine, everyone else joined me! It's not like I wanted them to stay at work, or that this was supposed to be my "special time"... just odd that the entire world retired with me, in a way.

* I have continued with my old job in a volunteer capacity, when and if I feel like it. There have been rare fleeting moments, sitting on zoom calls, when I thought I might just as well have stayed on the payroll, if we're all working from home anyway. But then call ended, I unplugged and took the dog for a walk, indulged a hobby or read some posts on BH... and thoughts of staying on the payroll (and having that claim on my time) vanished as fast as they came.

* The reference to BH wasn't entirely tongue in cheek. I needed some time in this early retirement to really understand some of the nuances of financing the next 25-30 years, finetuning portfolio, etc. So being largely stuck at home has been valuable from that perspective. I wasn't in a bad or uncertain financial position before, or I wouldn't have pulled the trigger on retirement, but learning more every day about the finer points.

* Watching everyone else make adjustments, and then make more adjustments, and then make some more... has made me VERY happy to not be dealing with that continually moving target, in the workplace. It's been hard enough watching my spouse and others struggle. Definitely have had no reasons to feel sorry for myself.

Again, it wasn't a bad time to retire, and I wouldn't have changed it, even if I had a crystal ball. Different, but not bad.
Last edited by HeelaMonster on Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Author
namajones

Post by namajones »

fortunefavored wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:44 am

I hung it up in January, and I'm busier than I was working and I expect to be so indefinitely - although the mix will change as different activities become available.
I hear that often from retired folks. Thanks.
Topic Author
namajones

Post by namajones »

AllMostThere wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:48 am
+1 on the e-Bike. I have the Rad Rover (Fat Tire e-Bike) and DW has the RAD City Step Thru e-Bike. They are soooo much fun to ride. I am a bigger guy, so I really like the Fat Tire bike on the bumpy Michigan roads and paved trails. While they have a throttle only option on all the bikes, we like the Power Assisted Pedal mode as you still need to pedal the bike. Going up hills is a breeze. Don't let other's shame you that an e-Bike is not biking. This opinion is totally wrong as you still need to move your legs and use your core for balance, which is excellent exercise. You will find yourself going 3x farther than planned, in the same amount of time and have a blast doing it. Yesterday, I went on a 17 mile bike ride and today I am feeling it. These e-Bikes make us feel young again. I get 30 - 35 miles per charge, and DW (lighter than me :happy) gets ~ 45 miles per charge. I really like the Rad Power Bikes, as there is a huge community of aftermarket products available and any future part needs should be readily available.
Excellent. Thanks. Yes, the bumpiness is the main thing that bumbs me out about the Brompton. I've done everything I can do alleviate the issue. Fat tire seems like a good idea.

And yes, what anyone else might think about my e-Bike would be the least of my worries. Haha.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

namajones wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:12 amBut the idea of retiring into or during a pandemic does not appeal to me.
If you're waiting for things to return to the way they were pre-COVID, you might be waiting a very long time.
The Sensible Steward
SQRT

Post by SQRT »

willthrill81 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:17 am
namajones wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:12 amBut the idea of retiring into or during a pandemic does not appeal to me.
If you're waiting for things to return to the way they were pre-COVID, you might be waiting a very long time.
Perhaps, but on the other hand, I think things will gradually seem more normal. I think travel will gradually resume which probably is the biggest factor for most new retirees. But we are certainly facing a lot of uncertainty at this point. Working from home during the pandemic doesn’t seem that worse than retiring with not much to do?
diy60

Post by diy60 »

namajones wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:12 am If you've retired or are expecting to retire during this pandemic (and who knows how long it will last), what has been your thought process or experience?
Spouse and I are retired and we've traveled more this year (both US and ex-US) than any other previous year, destination experiences have been stellar. I suggest you turn off all of the fear mongering news, retire, and go enjoy your hobbies, family, and other interests. You're not getting any younger.
Watty

Post by Watty »

namajones wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:12 am If you've retired or are expecting to retire during this pandemic (and who knows how long it will last), what has been your thought process or experience?
I retired about five year before the pandemic so I have seen both types of retirement.

Before the pandemic we would take several trips a year, usually one international and several domestic. Now that we are vaccinated we have done things like a going to the beach for a week and a little bit of camping but we miss the travel.

Realistically though the travel was for only a few weeks several times a year.

The big thing that had impacted us is not being able to go to things like classes, meeting with groups, and social events. Either they have been cancelled or we do not feel comfortable with going to them yet since we could still get a breakthrough infection.

We have grandkids that have not been able to get vaccinated yet so we are still being real careful so we do not catch Covid and then pass it on to them. Once they can get vaccinated then we will feel a lot less restricted.
willthrill81

Post by willthrill81 »

SQRT wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:39 am
Perhaps, but on the other hand, I think things will gradually seem more normal. I think travel will gradually resume which probably is the biggest factor for most new retirees. But we are certainly facing a lot of uncertainty at this point. Working from home during the pandemic doesn’t seem that worse than retiring with not much to do?
During the peak of the pandemic, only about one-third of workers were able to work from home, and that number is certainly smaller now.

The only 'restricted travel' I'm aware of right now is international. Those who are willing to travel domestically can still do so with relative ease.

I don't understand why face masks, which aren't required in a great many places, would stop someone from retiring.
The Sensible Steward
SQRT

Post by SQRT »

willthrill81 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:52 am
During the peak of the pandemic, only about one-third of workers were able to work from home, and that number is certainly smaller now.

The only 'restricted travel' I'm aware of right now is international. Those who are willing to travel domestically can still do so with relative ease.

I don't understand why face masks, which aren't required in a great many places, would stop someone from retiring.
I think many more people are still working from home in Canada. Many new retirees are hoping to travel internationally? But I grant your other point. Face masks wouldn’t stop me either.
Topic Author
namajones

Post by namajones »

SQRT wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:55 am

I think many more people are still working from home in Canada. Many new retirees are hoping to travel internationally? But I grant your other point. Face masks wouldn’t stop me either.
I keep wanting to think that wearing face masks is not so bad. But the reality, for me, is that it's horrible. I can barely breathe in that thing, and I can't wait to rip it off as soon as I get outside. The thought of being in a 10-hour overseas flight--or heck, any flight--with an N95 stuck to my face is not a happy thought.
Topic Author
namajones

Post by namajones »

Yeah, I'm not seeing this as being a never-ending crisis, not when some countries already have 70+ percent vaccinated.
delamer

Post by delamer »

It’s a good idea to have a variety of activities that you get satisfaction out of in retirement.

If your enjoyment is solely based on one activity — like travel — than the inability to do that activity is going to really compromise your retirement.

I have a very physically active friend who broke her ankle, and went stir-crazy while recovering because she doesn’t have any sedentary hobbies. Another friend has gained a lot of weight because she hasn’t really settled into any regular hobbies that don’t involve visiting with people over a meal/going out to eat. We have neighbors in their 70’s who are moving to a bigger home with more property because he needs more projects to keep from being bored.

My husband retired in early 2020. The pandemic was just barely on most of our horizons then, but within a month it was full-blown. We are both frustrated about the lack of travel, and I can’t say I’ve never had a moment’s boredom (retired for 5 years). But overall, it sure beats working.
One thing that humbles me deeply is to see that human genius has its limits while human stupidity does not. - Alexandre Dumas, fils
Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap »

delamer wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:53 am It’s a good idea to have a variety of activities that you get satisfaction out of in retirement.

If your enjoyment is solely based on one activity — like travel — than the inability to do that activity is going to really compromise your retirement.

I have a very physically active friend who broke her ankle, and went stir-crazy while recovering because she doesn’t have any sedentary hobbies. Another friend has gained a lot of weight because she hasn’t really settled into any regular hobbies that don’t involve visiting with people over a meal/going out to eat. We have neighbors in their 70’s who are moving to a bigger home with more property because he needs more projects to keep from being bored.

My husband retired in early 2020. The pandemic was just barely on most of our horizons then, but within a month it was full-blown. We are both frustrated about the lack of travel, and I can’t say I’ve never had a moment’s boredom (retired for 5 years). But overall, it sure beats working.
Great points.
Well said.

Being defined by external conditions and things vs. . . . . :shock:

dis laimer: zillions of points of view on zillions of things in a zillion ways.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

AllMostThere wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:48 am
namajones wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 7:23 am What kind of e-bike? On bicycles: I have a Brompton and hate to admit that I sometimes wish it were electrified so that I could just enjoy the ride a bit more. Getting older and lazier!
Man, I think I need an e-bike. My worry about biking is the real possibility that the effort will start and asthma attack. An e-bike would alleviate that worry.
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

Do you have the possibility / have you thought about going part-time? It could be a good way to decompress and ease into retirement, giving you time to adjust, see what works or not, and give you an out if you change your mind one way or the other.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

My hobbies are things that are either done alone at home or outdoor activities like golf that aren't restricted now, so the pandemic in and of itself would not have a bearing on my retirement decision. That being said, now that my position has shifted to permanent WFH, there is a lot less BS in my day-to-day work, less office politics, and I get more done in less time with way more flexibility in planning my time, so I look at my job more favorably than I did pre-pandemic when stuck in an office, had to deal with a commute, get dressed up, etc.
Last edited by tim1999 on Fri Sep 17, 2021 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marep

Post by marep »

I retired (well- forced to resign) at age 62 in Sept. 2018 and about 5 months later started the process of getting a fee only financial planner, and investigating a possible out of state move, etc. My husband was still working at age 65. We found a new construction community and began a small house build, put our home in NY up for sale and did the emptying out/downsizing thing, etc. A lot of work.

We had to rent a home for the remainder of 2019 as our new home was not finished yet and hubby decided to retired as of 12/31/19- the same day we closed on our new home. We had to also deal with COBRA for me and Medicare for him and then switch those again since we were moving to another state, along with all the logistics involved in the physical move.

So we moved in February 2020 to New Hampshire and a couple of weeks later the pandemic hit.We couldn't believe it! At first it was depressing, and after the two weeks to flatten the curve thing I started to get a bit anxious. But we did have things to do in the house and to buy and so forth. It was a bit difficult to adjust to some other things- like the doctors offices shutting down when we hadn't even seen one in our new state yet, and the supermarket shopping, etc., but we managed through it. I even got the flu (or whatever it was :wink: ) for the very first time and was sick for over a week! But thankfully in March some neighbors here posted on the community Facebook page they were starting a daily walking group and that got us out and meeting new people. One had a boat and as soon as the nicer weather started up we were invited on it a number of times. Some had some cocktail parties, card games, barbecues, dinners, indoors and outdoors, etc. We were actually very happy to be living here as opposed to New York where things were dire and locked up. We had more freedoms here and it helped a lot. We used to live on 10 1/2 acres of woods in a rural area and if we were still living there in this pandemic and not working it would have been too isolating and depressing- especially in a state like NY.

Also- lots of activities we can do here in NH. Hiking and snowshoeing (I joined a community group), lots of swimming at the beautiful lakes and our HOA pool. HOA has some nice activities going on in the clubhouse. We go out to eat more- we never did when working, except vacations. Went to live comedy shows, live theater, movie theater, etc. Hubby teaching himself fishing. He joined a Sportsmens club. He did go hunting a few days last year as well.

We visited our timeshares in Vermont and New Hampshire. Did some sightseeing as well and a day trip to Maine. Yeah- we couldn't do the Italy/Switzerland trip or South Dakota and I will not do masks on planes, so flying is out. And we do not like long car rides past 8 hours. I am also not crazy about visiting other states where there could be more restrictions than here, so spending our time and money right here in NH and we are content with that. Every week we explore somewhere else at least for one day. Never bored, except when we want to be. Helps that we live in a vacation area and always something going on. That's why we moved here at this point in our lives.

I feel like we have been on vacation for two years anyway! Yes- without this pandemic it would have been better, but it's certainly been better than working! LOL!

We also joined in with outside community groups of like minded people such as ourselves and we did a lot of other things "normally". We were also happy to be here because our son lives here and we could see him more often now and have our holidays with him.

Honestly for me I would not want to be working during a pandemic or during anytime! I am happy to not have to work anymore!
hotscot

Post by hotscot »

FWIW.

My wife is about to retire.
My business work takes 90 mins a day and can be done via internet.

Our bucket list is to spend the next decade doing 100 best restaurants in the world.

But damned Covid.
Cruise

Post by Cruise »

Thanks.
Excuse me, but are you my wife and you have a secret BH account?

Seriously, we were ready to sail around the world when she retired, but that has lost its appeal. Ms. Cruise thinks work is a better option for her than to retire into a world in which travel is so anxiety-provoking.
fposte

Post by fposte »

I retired at the end of July this year; I had planned on that time before COVID hit. Even though I loved my job and managed to switch to remote (my whole industry had to change its ways), it was a tough time. I had planned to travel internationally and had a projected budget set up for that, and it's not enticing at the moment so that's been a big change.

But I've still been very happy with retiring. Health played a big role in my decision and it's been helpful to have more time to do physical therapy, and I've really enjoyed outings for kayaking, museum-going, etc., that I never did while working. It's always going to be a very individual calculus, but for me it's clear that I can still find pastimes and destinations that interest and enrich, and it's been kind of thought-provoking to revisit my ideas about value for using my leisure time. I may need to strategize a little more for keeping up what's pleasing me in a Midwestern winter, but I've got the time to strategize now, so that's fine.

So overall, bummer about COVID, but still delighted with retirement.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

willthrill81 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:52 am During the peak of the pandemic, only about one-third of workers were able to work from home, and that number is certainly smaller now.

Have to agree with this. OP do you read a lot of news? The news always seems to paint things in an extremely scary, negative light. However when I go out in the real world I see people doing normal things again. I've gone to festivals, shopping, movies, concerts, etc this year. The only difference is some people are wearing masks and maybe using hand sanitizer a bit more, and that was just recently. Our state is 75+% vaccinated. The grocery stores I go to just ask that you wear masks, not require. We are pretty darn close to normal already.
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
OnTrack2020

Post by OnTrack2020 »

My husband retired early 2020--he was ready to go. And then all the craziness began. He was extremely diligent in masking up, washing hands, etc. Getting up to shop early at Walmart. :shock: Goodness, who knew. And he was stocking up on items like crazy. We cancelled a trip to Yellowstone in 2020. We were planning on taking a long weekend out-of-state in August of this year, but the area where we wanted to go was having a very large increase of Covid cases, so we decided to pass. And, even now, I don't particularly want to spend a lot of money to travel and have to wear a mask. Plus, the ACA health plan only covers emergencies for out-of-the-area, so having to purchase additional medical travel insurance when we travel is somewhat of a pain also. I will say it's good that he did retire. I had two unexpected surgeries. One of the surgeries kept me off my feet for quite a while. So he had to run errands, do all the grocery shopping, the cooking, the school runs, taking me to physical therapy, etc. for about 3-4 months. Every thing has worked out. I'd still like to do some travelling--just not sure when. And no plane trips for a while.

If you are ready to be done, then you go forward with your plans. If you are planning to travel without hiccups, I think we can safely say that those days are probably pretty much over.
Billhaver

Post by Billhaver »

As a few others have noted, you can still travel internationally if that's what you want in retirement. I'm retired and spent a month in Mexico in January 2021 and will return for three weeks in November. It was bliss. Some countries aren't open to Americans, but many are. Life is short and we don't know what the future holds. For me, I'm not going to wait for "safety" or a "return to normal." Best of luck with your decision!
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

OnTrack2020 wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 1:56 pm Plus, the ACA health plan only covers emergencies for out-of-the-area, so having to purchase additional medical travel insurance when we travel is somewhat of a pain also.
This is a concern for a lot of health plans. Not that they might not have coverage, but that it would be out-of-network coverage, meaning essentially unlimited out-of-pocket costs. Also while sudden unexpected health issues could always have happened, until the pandemic I don't remember healthcare being very limited in availability (no available hospital beds, etc.) in most places. And I definitely don't remember the possibility of being stuck in any common travel destination (at least not any I would have been interested in traveling to) based on changing government restrictions.