Job Offer w/ Baby on the Way - How to Handle?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
BHawks87

Job Offer w/ Baby on the Way - How to Handle?

Post by BHawks87 »

I currently have a pending job offer with a new company and also have a baby on the way in a few months. I was straight forward with the new company about the baby being due. I would have to be employed by them for at least 1 year before I would get paid paternity leave but they would allow me to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid paternity leave. They also offered the option of me signing the offer letter with a start date 1 month after the baby is due. They said that they have some people sign offer letters with start dates 1 year out and they would hold the position for me guaranteed.

So my questions are:

1.) How would I go about putting in my notice with my current employer if I take the offer and start 1 month after the baby is born? Should I not mention anything until 2 weeks until my start date and then put in a standard 2 week notice? My current company gives me 1 week of paid leave and then I have PTO saved up to take up to a month off. So I would most likely still be home when I put in my two week notice which makes me think they would cut me lose early and not let me finish my two weeks.

2.) I suppose anything can happen but should I trust their guarantee to hold my start date? I guess if something were to happen I would just keep my current job.

I do have enough of an emergency fund to take up to 12 weeks of unpaid leave but I would prefer not to start a new job and then have to take extended time off immediately. It also would be much more preferable to get paid during that leave.

How should I handle this?
Normchad

Re: Job Offer w/ Baby on the Way - How to Handle?

Post by Normchad »

I’d take the start date after the baby is born.

Once the baby is born, I’d call the new employer and reconfirm that everything was still in place, and you’d like to start in two weeks.

Once that is confirmed, I’d give two weeks notice to the current employer.
Topic Author
BHawks87

Post by BHawks87 »

Normchad wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:23 pm I’d take the start date after the baby is born.

Once the baby is born, I’d call the new employer and reconfirm that everything was still in place, and you’d like to start in two weeks.

Once that is confirmed, I’d give two weeks notice to the current employer.
That is definitely what I'm thinking I will be doing. Better to get cut loose and lose out on 2 weeks of pay versus starting the new job and missing out on the whole time I'm on leave.
hotscot

Post by hotscot »

BHawks87 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:13 pm They said that they have some people sign offer letters with start dates 1 year out and they would hold the position for me guaranteed.
And you have that in writing from HR or someone with the authority to make that guarantee?
Topic Author
BHawks87

Post by BHawks87 »

hotscot wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:39 pm
BHawks87 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:13 pm They said that they have some people sign offer letters with start dates 1 year out and they would hold the position for me guaranteed.
And you have that in writing from HR or someone with the authority to make that guarantee?
Not yet. I have not signed the official offer letter yet but will be in the next few days. I will make sure that is in writing.
hotscot

Post by hotscot »

If you can, obtain the guarantee before you commit.
theRoCK

Post by theRoCK »

I would not depend on the company holding the offer for you for a long time. I have known of job offers that were accepted by the candidate and then got pulled a few weeks or month before start date due to market conditions. I would take the holding the position for a year guaranteed with the appropriate amount of grains of salt!!

One other thing to consider is presumably the new offer is at a higher pay than your current job which is why you are leaving. How much are you losing in extra income for the few months you are postponing joining them to avoid losing the 1-2 weeks of paid parental leave? Unused PTO is usually paid out with your last paycheck, so I dont think you will lose it if you leave the company. Of course, if you are leaving for other reasons and there is no bump in pay, this is probably moot.
Topic Author
BHawks87

Post by BHawks87 »

theRoCK wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:46 pm I would not depend on the company holding the offer for you for a long time. I have known of job offers that were accepted by the candidate and then got pulled a few weeks or month before start date due to market conditions. I would take the holding the position for a year guaranteed with the appropriate amount of grains of salt!!

One other thing to consider is presumably the new offer is at a higher pay than your current job which is why you are leaving. How much are you losing in extra income for the few months you are postponing joining them to avoid losing the 1-2 weeks of paid parental leave? Unused PTO is usually paid out with your last paycheck, so I dont think you will lose it if you leave the company. Of course, if you are leaving for other reasons and there is no bump in pay, this is probably moot.
These are some great points. It is a higher pay and there is a nice signing bonus which would more than cover the unpaid time off of work. I will have to weigh the pay difference in waiting vs starting sooner with the unpaid time. It also will be interesting to see if the bonus would be pulled or lowered if I wait longer to start.
cchrissyy

Post by cchrissyy »

My main worry here would getting caught without health insurance for the whole family.

A long time ago, I was in a co-op position (paid full time college internship) where I needed to go back to school to finish up but then I was guaranteed a permanent position.

during my last quarter, the economy shifted, they had a hiring freeze, they were pushing existing people to take voluntary severance packages. My offer went poof.
60-20-20 us-intl-bond
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Starting after paternity leave at your current company is cleanest. I wouldn’t worry too much about an official offer with a firm start date being pulled. If “market conditions change” they could just as easily fire you as they could pull the offer. The difference is that a pulled offer means you still have your current job whereas getting canned means you have no job.

Another thing to consider, just because official policy is that you won’t get paid paternity leave doesn’t mean you can’t negotiate to make up the difference. You could, for example, agree to X weeks of unpaid paternity leave and a signing bonus equal to your the same X weeks of salary.

Regarding your current employer, I assume you’ll be taking FMLA for 4 weeks. You’ll receive 1 company paid week of benefits and then likely be forced to use 3 weeks PTO. If you really don’t want to lose any money you could simply inform them you intend to take 6 weeks FMLA (1 paid benefit, 3 PTO, 2 unpaid) and then give your “2 week notice” at the end of week 4 of FMLA. Sometimes things just don’t work out clean for everyone. If the new offer dries up, you can always go back early at 4 weeks. At the end of the day you need to do what’s best for you and your family and if that means your current employer gets a less than standard departure, that’ll just have to be the way it is.
CFOKevin

Post by CFOKevin »

Congrats on the job offer and the baby on the way!

I agree with the consensus here that accepting the new position with a post partum start date is the best course of action. But, there are other considerations to get your arms around. First, is your current employer's health insurance going to cover the birth? If so, know how coverage works when you leave (last day or end of the month?). And for your Newco, find out when your coverage starts (usually first day or first of the following month). Obviously, you want to avoid a gap and deal with one by understanding COBRA.

Last, as a parent of four, one of whom has special needs, and as the father of a midwife who has delivered over 500 babies, be aware that not all births go smoothly. You may have to deal with complications that range from mild to overwhelming. Since it sounds like Newco is a high quality employer, I'd suggest you have a plan to join them only when you can give the new job as much of your full attention and energy as possible, I'd suggest language in the offer letter that the start date will be X, or another mutually agreed upon date prior to Y. That would give you the flexibility you may need to do the right thing by everyone.

Good Luck,

Kevin
Topic Author
BHawks87

Post by BHawks87 »

hotscot wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:06 pm If you can, obtain the guarantee before you commit.
100% will.
cchrissyy wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:15 pm My main worry here would getting caught without health insurance for the whole family.

A long time ago, I was in a co-op position (paid full time college internship) where I needed to go back to school to finish up but then I was guaranteed a permanent position.

during my last quarter, the economy shifted, they had a hiring freeze, they were pushing existing people to take voluntary severance packages. My offer went poof.
This shouldn't be a concern since I'm on my wife's insurance. She has a much better plan then I do. However there is always the possibility that she chooses not to return to work I suppose and then we would lose her insurance.
Jags4186 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:21 pm Starting after paternity leave at your current company is cleanest. I wouldn’t worry too much about an official offer with a firm start date being pulled. If “market conditions change” they could just as easily fire you as they could pull the offer. The difference is that a pulled offer means you still have your current job whereas getting canned means you have no job.

Another thing to consider, just because official policy is that you won’t get paid paternity leave doesn’t mean you can’t negotiate to make up the difference. You could, for example, agree to X weeks of unpaid paternity leave and a signing bonus equal to your the same X weeks of salary.

Regarding your current employer, I assume you’ll be taking FMLA for 4 weeks. You’ll receive 1 company paid week of benefits and then likely be forced to use 3 weeks PTO. If you really don’t want to lose any money you could simply inform them you intend to take 6 weeks FMLA (1 paid benefit, 3 PTO, 2 unpaid) and then give your “2 week notice” at the end of week 4 of FMLA. Sometimes things just don’t work out clean for everyone. If the new offer dries up, you can always go back early at 4 weeks. At the end of the day you need to do what’s best for you and your family and if that means your current employer gets a less than standard departure, that’ll just have to be the way it is.
I already tried to negotiate something but they wouldn't budge. They are however offering a signing bonus that is equal to about 14 weeks of pay.

Right now I have 3 weeks of PTO saved up so the plan was to take 1 week of paid time off and then 3 weeks of PTO. I would ideally like to return and put in my 2 week notice. If that start date would be too far out for the new company then I would put my 2 week notice in after using the 1 week of paid time and 1 week of PTO. At that point I'm guessing they would terminate me instead of paying me to sit at home for 2 more weeks. Upon leaving the company their policy is to pay out 1 week of PTO max. - Side question - Would terminating me and not letting me complete a 2 week notice while in the middle of paternity leave be legal?
CFOKevin wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:40 pm Congrats on the job offer and the baby on the way!

I agree with the consensus here that accepting the new position with a post partum start date is the best course of action. But, there are other considerations to get your arms around. First, is your current employer's health insurance going to cover the birth? If so, know how coverage works when you leave (last day or end of the month?). And for your Newco, find out when your coverage starts (usually first day or first of the following month). Obviously, you want to avoid a gap and deal with one by understanding COBRA.

Last, as a parent of four, one of whom has special needs, and as the father of a midwife who has delivered over 500 babies, be aware that not all births go smoothly. You may have to deal with complications that range from mild to overwhelming. Since it sounds like Newco is a high quality employer, I'd suggest you have a plan to join them only when you can give the new job as much of your full attention and energy as possible, I'd suggest language in the offer letter that the start date will be X, or another mutually agreed upon date prior to Y. That would give you the flexibility you may need to do the right thing by everyone.

Good Luck,

Kevin
New companies coverage starts the first of the month after 60 days of employment. As stated above my wife has better insurance so I am on her plan. If she were to decide not to return to work after the birth then running perfect scenario numbers we would have about a week of an insurance gap between her insurance lapsing and my new companies starting. Which I assume we could cover with COBRA?
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

I already tried to negotiate something but they wouldn't budge. They are however offering a signing bonus that is equal to about 14 weeks of pay.

Right now I have 3 weeks of PTO saved up so the plan was to take 1 week of paid time off and then 3 weeks of PTO. I would ideally like to return and put in my 2 week notice. If that start date would be too far out for the new company then I would put my 2 week notice in after using the 1 week of paid time and 1 week of PTO. At that point I'm guessing they would terminate me instead of paying me to sit at home for 2 more weeks. Upon leaving the company their policy is to pay out 1 week of PTO max. - Side question - Would terminating me and not letting me complete a 2 week notice while in the middle of paternity leave be legal?
Thats why I suggest taking 6 weeks FMLA and resigning in week 4. You lose nothing and accomplish the same.
adestefan

Post by adestefan »

BHawks87 wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:17 am At that point I'm guessing they would terminate me instead of paying me to sit at home for 2 more weeks. Upon leaving the company their policy is to pay out 1 week of PTO max. - Side question - Would terminating me and not letting me complete a 2 week notice while in the middle of paternity leave be legal?
It depends on which state you’re in. Since your company only pays out 1 week if PTO I’m guessing you’re not in a very worker friendly state. Most require all PTO to be paid out unless otherwise listed specifically in a contract signed when started. “Unlimited PTO” has become a way for companies to get around these laws.
joechristmas

Post by joechristmas »

Could you start the job now, work for a year, then take your paternity leave on the back end after you've completed a year of employment, but still within the first year of the baby's life? Paternity leave usually does not have to be taken at the time of the birth of a child.
canidothat

Post by canidothat »

joechristmas wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:57 am Could you start the job now, work for a year, then take your paternity leave on the back end after you've completed a year of employment, but still within the first year of the baby's life? Paternity leave usually does not have to be taken at the time of the birth of a child.
If you can, this might be the best route.
snapping moments–one bajillion buttons at a time
Topic Author
BHawks87

Post by BHawks87 »

joechristmas wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:57 am Could you start the job now, work for a year, then take your paternity leave on the back end after you've completed a year of employment, but still within the first year of the baby's life? Paternity leave usually does not have to be taken at the time of the birth of a child.
canidothat wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:16 am
If you can, this might be the best route.
Unfortunately the policy states that if the baby is born during the "waiting period" of the benefit then you are not eligible to get paid leave. So you have to be employed for 1 year before the baby is born to get the benefit.
TN_Boy

Post by TN_Boy »

BHawks87 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 7:04 pm
hotscot wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:39 pm
Not yet. I have not signed the official offer letter yet but will be in the next few days. I will make sure that is in writing.
That's amazing. In the industry I was in, if we were hiring somebody, we needed them, well, sorta now. The entire concept of making an offer and letting that person wait a year before starting is totally outside my experience. It implies that position is not actually that important ..... sort a of VP of nothingness role.

It would make me nervous. But obviously I know nothing about the industry or the specific company, and perhaps it is common in some situations.

Regardless, best wishes with the new family member.
hotscot

Post by hotscot »

BHawks87 wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 5:13 pm I currently have a pending job offer with a new company and also have a baby on the way in a few months.
Please, I mean no offense in asking this.
Are you having the baby? Or your wife/partner...I think you mention having a wife in another post, apologies if I misinterpret.
The reason I'm asking is that where I'm from, the UK, there are generally generous leave policies for both partners.

Just wondered how that applies where you live and if you could perhaps leverage that. (For example if your partner is allowed time off to baby manage. That's all.)

Oh..and congratulations. Please give the new kid a Bogleheads account.
humblecoder

Post by humblecoder »

Congrats on the upcoming birth and new job.

I know you are asking this question from a financial standpoint. However, it sounds like your new employer is a good one - willing to be flexible on start dates, PAID paternity leave. If it were me, I'd want to get onboard with them ASAP.

Also, if the new company's salary is higher, by waiting, you miss out the higher salary for X weeks. That offsets the loss of your paid time off.

I do agree with your thought that your current company might let you go immediately if you give notice while on leave. They have no incentive to keep you. The customary two weeks notice is supposed to give your old company a chance to make alternative arrangements, give you time to transition projects, etc. If you are on leave for that time, you are effectively giving them zero weeks notice.