How to Deal with Incoming Low Ball Promotion Offer

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
Patzer

Re: How to Deal with Incoming Low Ball Promotion Offer

Post by Patzer »

*UPDATE*
I appreciate everyone's advice, it helped me stay calm throughout the process.
I think what a lot of people didn't consider is how willing companies are to mistreat internal employees.
Had this been an external offer, I think the advice of waiting for things to play out would have been right.
As an internal offer, I think I should have been more assertive about what I wanted early, but in the end I think it worked out okay.

Here is how it played out.

Day 1: I agree to take the job if I get the right title/pay (1.35-1.45X in my mind, but not stated).
Day 9: I get my raise to 1.15X from a previous promotion.
Day 10: They ask me to do small stuff related to the new job, while still doing my old job.
I say, sure, but I would like to know what the new job pays so I can consider if I want to take it.
They say they are working on it.
Day 12: They ask me to do more stuff related to the new job, and I tell them I need to know what they are thinking on pay.
They say they can't do anything now, but can do 1.35X in 6 months and 1.5X in 12 months.
I say I would be happy if we could do 1.35X now and 1.5X in 12 months.
They tell me they will get back to me.
Day 15: They ask me to start transitioning into the new role.
I tell them I am not taking the new role without knowing what it pays.
They say they can't do anything now, but can do 1.35X in 6 months.
I tell them that doesn't work for me and the least I could do it for is 1.3X now and sorting out the rest next year.
They say they will get it for me and I agree to start the transition.
Day 22: I am doing the job full time and ask them where the promised pay is. They say it's coming.
Day 29: They tell me they won't be able to give me a raise until next year.
I tell them that those are unacceptable conditions for me to do the job under.
They suggest that they can find someone else to do the job.
I tell them I understand if they need to do that.
They ask me to give them a day to sort it out.
Day 30: They offer me 1.36X in writing. I accept.
Last edited by Patzer on Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

Congrats.
And good on you for standing your ground. The wonderful thing about this environment is it may force employers to really think about how valuable their employees are. Not so easy to anyone else to do any job these days...
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

Congrats. I was surprised to see how many posters here tried to imply that you shouldn't be direct and ask for what you believe is fair. Well done.
Archimedes

Post by Archimedes »

For in house promotions, it frequently is best to keep saying no to the promotion until the increased compensation has been finalized. It can be a mistake to take the new job while waiting for the increased pay.

In any case, congratulations!
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

Patzer wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:23 pm [Day 15: They ask me to start transitioning into the new role.
I tell them I am not taking the new role without knowing what it pays.
They say they can't do anything now, but can do 1.35X in 6 months.
I tell them that doesn't work for me and the least I could do it for is 1.3X now and sorting out the rest next year.
They say they will get it for me and I agree to start the transition.
Day 22: I am doing the job full time and ask them where the promised pay is. They say it's coming.
Day 29: They tell me they won't be able to give me a raise until next year.
I consider the above sequence to be a breach of trust and I would have walked out the door. Not even two weeks notice, because their two weeks was me working under the illusion I was getting a raise they tried to stiff me on.

They lied to your face twice.

You need to find another job outside that company.
brianH

Post by brianH »

8foot7 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 5:55 am They lied to your face twice.

Agreed. You essentially had to play hardball to actually get the raise that they verbally promised you. Expect any future promotions to involve the same standoff. That extra .14 of the original X is never coming next year.
fortunefavored

Post by fortunefavored »

brianH wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:58 am

Agreed. You essentially had to play hardball to actually get the raise that they verbally promised you. Expect any future promotions to involve the same standoff. That extra .14 of the original X is never coming next year.
I tend to agree - find an external job leveraging the new title/salary. You may have pushed this through.. but I guarantee at least 50% of the people involved in the process now associate your name with not being a 'team player' etc. Likely it had to go up to (at least) Sr. VP and Sr. VP of HR to get the exception approved.

One thing I've learned: Management hates being made to feel uncomfortable and they will resent to an inordinate amount in proportion to the actual impact on them.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

fortunefavored wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:21 am

I tend to agree - find an external job leveraging the new title/salary. You may have pushed this through.. but I guarantee at least 50% of the people involved in the process now associate your name with not being a 'team player' etc. Likely it had to go up to (at least) Sr. VP and Sr. VP of HR to get the exception approved.

One thing I've learned: Management hates being made to feel uncomfortable and they will resent to an inordinate amount in proportion to the actual impact on them.
Apart from the principle of the situation of being told you'll get more money on X date, inducing you to work for that, and then failing to deliver as promised after two weeks, what fortunefavored posted is also guaranteed to be happening. Regardless of where the ball was dropped in this process, you are now a Problem Child. Any discussion will be "isn't that the guy who was such a pain in the butt about his raise" or "That's the guy that made me waste hours with HR because he wouldn't take no for an answer" or "Joe? He put us through the ringer and almost walked out until we got him an off-schedule raise" etc. These are, obviously, not good thoughts with which to be associated at your place of employ. Not fair because you did nothing wrong, but impressions don't have to be justified.
BogleFan510

Post by BogleFan510 »

8foot7 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:39 am

Apart from the principle of the situation of being told you'll get more money on X date, inducing you to work for that, and then failing to deliver as promised after two weeks, what fortunefavored posted is also guaranteed to be happening. Regardless of where the ball was dropped in this process, you are now a Problem Child. Any discussion will be "isn't that the guy who was such a pain in the butt about his raise" or "That's the guy that made me waste hours with HR because he wouldn't take no for an answer" or "Joe? He put us through the ringer and almost walked out until we got him an off-schedule raise" etc. These are, obviously, not good thoughts with which to be associated at your place of employ. Not fair because you did nothing wrong, but impressions don't have to be justified.
I think this post assumes information about a work culture we dont know as internet posters. When I worked as a consultant I deep dived into at least 60 different large organizations, and the pay/HR/mgmt cultures varied greatly. Not sure we can assume ajything for sure. Some work cultres would admire the negotiating moves and think it was great prep for higher levels, others tag it as trouble. Hard to say. An internal mentor or recruiter who serves that organization might have a valuable perspective, if available.

Reminds me of a high level job for a major firm I once had nailed. The recruiter had placed the CEO there. I had a final interview with the CTO that was delayed and drank too much super strong coffee waiting (which I was later coached was just a courtesy meet and greet, not a 'real interview with content'). Anyway, I had prepared by learning as much as I could about the organization to get ready, including meeting the chief Legal Counsel (via a friend who knew him) to discuss the culture and reading their IT standards document. Since I was wired on coffee I thoughlessly mentioned these items and was later told by the recruiter that the guy freaked outthat how had obtained a confidential internal document and spoken to a senior official outside of the proper process, so I was black balled as not having the senior executive judgement needed for this Department Head level job. Usually it might have not been a big deal, but they were a massive firm, pre IPO, and the too execs were on edge as they were all about to make massive fortunes. I was naive about the sensitivity levels. The job would have paid incredible money and title, but it is probably for the best, as that oranization was also a political pressure cooker I might not have actually navigated well anyway.

Retired, FIRED, was my path, and the future golden handcuffs were avoided.
vfinx

Post by vfinx »

BogleFan510 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:03 am
8foot7 wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:39 am

I think this post assumes information about a work culture we dont know as internet posters. When I worked as a consultant I deep dived into at least 60 different large organizations, and the pay/HR/mgmt cultures varied greatly. Not sure we can assume ajything for sure. Some work cultres would admire the negotiating moves and think it was great prep for higher levels, others tag it as trouble. Hard to say. An internal mentor or recruiter who serves that organization might have a valuable perspective, if available.
Agreed, there's not enough information about the specific company/culture to conclude that OP is now in bad standing. I've gone to bat for out-of-schedule raises for employees before. Not a big deal. Just a 10 minute meeting with the director of compensation. For good employees that I want to keep, I don't mind them being assertive and making me do my job to get them rewarded. It's much better than them leaving. As long as it's a straightforward request (no games/ultimatums) and they are prepared for possible rejection, it's generally not an unpleasant process. It's the employees that want to do a 20 minute preamble about how much they "love the company" and are so "excited to be here" and blah blah blah, before finally asking for a raise that made me want to barf.
brianH

Post by brianH »

It's not so much the opinions of those in the process that matter; it's the sequence of events that 8foot7 originally outlined.

Whenever I was verbally promised a raise, the raise was in my next paycheck. No games. OP had a verbal commitment, that they later had to follow up on (and received another confirmation), only to be told 2 weeks later that it wasn't going to happen as promised. At best, that's a high level of disfunction. At worst, outright dishonesty.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Normchad wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:57 pm Wow. I think if I reacted like this to opportunities from my employer, they’d fire me and find somebody else to fill the roles.
And they'd probably end up paying the 1.4x salary anyway for a new guy who has no in-house experience.

Companies are dumb.

You almost always have to leave to get real raises.
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Normchad wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:35 pm Imagine how this thread would read if it was written from the SVPs perspective.

SVP: I’ve got a great kid under my wing. I already promoted him once this year. He’s doing great. I saw a plum new opportunity open up, and I offered to him. So 2 promotions in 1 year. I went out in a limb for this one, because I believe in them. At first, they flatly refused the offer, because it wasn’t in their “career vision”. Then after discussing a bit, I think they’d begrudgingly take it if we called them “director”….
More like, "I promoted this kid once this year already, but didn't give him a pay raise! Ha, what a tool! He's doing a good job, so I'm going to promote him again, but I'll just give him the raise he was supposed to get for the first promotion. Then we can take the rest of the money we saved and go buy some cocaine! High-fives all around!"
"The best tools available to us are shovels, not scalpels. Don't get carried away." - vanBogle59
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Financologist wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 1:16 am 1. Wait for the offer (hearing about this stuff through the grapevine stinks of snooping).
2. If it's as you expect, then do not be quick to respond (build some tension without saying a word.. 8 business hours is enough, more can get rude).
3. When you do reply, emphasize that you are very excited about the opportunity and appreciated the one one conversation; reference a specific aspect of the conversation that was especially valuable to you (make it personal). Also note a particular aspect of the job you are looking forward to (the deal is almost done!) 4. Note that the offer represents a raise of 4.3% (use no adjectives, just facts).
5. Ask whether the company can raise the offer so that it's a ~15% or 20% increase (be specific and reasonable).
6. Express appreciation for any consideration to raising the offer amount.

This is likely how I would handle.

Finally, I have made a number of hires at a megacorp. Bringing another offer to me is a turn off.. ask for what you want and if you don't get it , stay or go..
Great post.

I agree that bringing another offer isn't really the greatest plan. It does sour things usually. If you don't get what you want, stay or go.

So far, I've always went after not getting what I want. This is a pretty good time to look for another job.
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Agreed. And they don't like you anymore. You called them on their B.S. and most people don't like that.

If the job is interesting and the experience is good, do the job for a year or two, but be prepared to move on fairly soon.

(Edit: It's possible that they respect you more for calling them on their B.S. There are some people like that... You'll need to pay attention to how they treat you for a few months to tell)
Topic Author
Patzer

Post by Patzer »

Since they came back to me with the money, I am not going to take being lied to personally in a business environment. It is not how I behave at work, but it happens every day in many companies.

brianH wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:58 am You essentially had to play hardball to actually get the raise that they verbally promised you. Expect any future promotions to involve the same standoff. That extra .14 of the original X is never coming next year.
Yea, the .14X is probably not coming anytime soon. Maybe with my next promotion.
fortunefavored wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:21 am find an external job leveraging the new title/salary. You may have pushed this through.. but I guarantee at least 50% of the people involved in the process now associate your name with not being a 'team player' etc. Likely it had to go up to (at least) Sr. VP and Sr. VP of HR to get the exception approved.

HR is mad at me, and I anticipate them needing to get a win over me on something in the future to get revenge. I think I will ask for some things I don't care about in a month or two, and let them "win" by getting in the way of it in the hopes that will help them let it go.

My new boss was mad at me when I rejected taking the job for no raise, and said some unkind things about me to other people, but after I accepted the 1.36X offer they immediately started trying to mend fences with me and we are getting along well. I don't anticipate this being a problem with them in the future.

I think the CFO that helped make the raise happen is more annoyed at HR than me, but this is a one-time use card. I won't be able to make something go up to that level again without being labelled a problem.
dogagility

Post by dogagility »

Patzer wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:23 pm I think what a lot of people didn't consider is how willing companies are to mistreat internal employees.
Congratulations on getting a raise. Unfortunately for your company, your view of the company was tarnished... perhaps permanently.
Make sure you check out my list of certifications. The list is short, and there aren't any. - Eric 0. from SMA
anon_investor

Post by anon_investor »

Patzer wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 12:58 am

Since they came back to me with the money, I am not going to take being lied to personally in a business environment. It is not how I behave at work, but it happens every day in many companies.

brianH wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 8:58 am You essentially had to play hardball to actually get the raise that they verbally promised you. Expect any future promotions to involve the same standoff. That extra .14 of the original X is never coming next year.
Yea, the .14X is probably not coming anytime soon. Maybe with my next promotion.
fortunefavored wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:21 am find an external job leveraging the new title/salary. You may have pushed this through.. but I guarantee at least 50% of the people involved in the process now associate your name with not being a 'team player' etc. Likely it had to go up to (at least) Sr. VP and Sr. VP of HR to get the exception approved.

HR is mad at me, and I anticipate them needing to get a win over me on something in the future to get revenge. I think I will ask for some things I don't care about in a month or two, and let them "win" by getting in the way of it in the hopes that will help them let it go.

My new boss was mad at me when I rejected taking the job for no raise, and said some unkind things about me to other people, but after I accepted the 1.36X offer they immediately started trying to mend fences with me and we are getting along well. I don't anticipate this being a problem with them in the future.

I think the CFO that helped make the raise happen is more annoyed at HR than me, but this is a one-time use card. I won't be able to make something go up to that level again without being labelled a problem.
Based on this info, you should seriously consider leverage this new role into a major raise and signing bonus at a new company in the future.
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

Congrats, and way to keep a level head while standing your ground
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

Perhaps I am too stubborn or unyielding but I find being lied to the pinnacle of disrespect. I understand there are some things I cannot know. I understand there is always more to a story in a corporate environment. But darn it, if you promise me something and I rely on that promise, and then you try not to deliver it—I’m out. I simply won’t accept being lied to, especially about something so critical as my compensation. I won’t tolerate it, and I won’t work for a company that treats its employees that way.

Good luck in any event.
jaqenhghar

Post by jaqenhghar »

Thank you for providing an update, and congrats on the raise! Would be curious if you get the other amounts that your company promised to you down the line. Please keep us posted.
BogleFan510

Post by BogleFan510 »

dogagility wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 4:01 am
Patzer wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:23 pm I think what a lot of people didn't consider is how willing companies are to mistreat internal employees.
Congratulations on getting a raise. Unfortunately for your company, your view of the company was tarnished... perhaps permanently.
Agreed. Their HR staff dont seem to understand that their role is to create value with human resources.

Sadly, I saw that all too often... HR staff that dont bother take the time to understand the business well enought to sort through where staff create real value and when they are a commodity, easily replaced. They seem to think their role should be to check boxes and be a gatekeeper on salary raises, even in cases where the opposite is what the business really needs.

By way of example, I once ran a national consulting practice that was hugely profitable. We basically rented out top quality Oracle DBAs for large scale database and data warehouse projects and performance optimization design work. This was during a time when they were incredibly scarce and needed in the market. I built a team and through sharing knowledge, comraderie, and techie friendly policies we retained these guys and gals. I made one Chief Data Scientist, others had Director titles as well. It didnt matter, they earned 5-20x their salary just in personal billings, straight cash to the bottom line, and more by winning us the work.

Our company was bought by a large telecom company with an HR dept. who spent most of their day hiring and firing call center telemarketing staff that harassed people about switching providers all day. The first thing they did was demand we lower these guys pay, because to be a director one needed to have at least 20 direct reports. They said or pay levels were too high, because a box on a chart said so. They suggested we could replace them with other engineers, internal candidates even, because the standard engineer paygrade was x and..well...training (their engineers were typically like PC maintence guys, dime a dozen, folks who replaced hard drives with a screw driver), or folks who had only worked on internal systems, not figuring out a new world of a client. No disrespect for PC maintenence or internal IT staff, but what? I had HR VPs assaulting the core value creating engine of my multi million dollar business unit, within months of their CEO investing more than a billion to acquire (for synergy because we were working for CIO and solving high level business problems for leading firms). They were trying to force me to fire and demote exactly the highest leverage scarce skills we needed to hold out as bait to convince our clients to hire us.

So many case studies like that. By the way, after I left that teleco giant in frustration (to be hired back by the #1 management strategy firm at the time), they managed to become one of the big business failure case studies of their era. The HR culture built out of a 'marketing gone wild' and 'dont need the engineeers, easily replaced' culture (even though they sold technology services), certainly contributed to the fail.

Its great to be retired.
Last edited by BogleFan510 on Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:35 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Normchad

Post by Normchad »

8foot7 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:15 am Perhaps I am too stubborn or unyielding but I find being lied to the pinnacle of disrespect. I understand there are some things I cannot know. I understand there is always more to a story in a corporate environment. But darn it, if you promise me something and I rely on that promise, and then you try not to deliver it—I’m out. I simply won’t accept being lied to, especially about something so critical as my compensation. I won’t tolerate it, and I won’t work for a company that treats its employees that way.

Good luck in any event.
I’m 100% with you here. It is very disrespectful and I wouldn’t willingly tolerate it either.

Edited for family language, but I quote I like. “Don’t be a jerk, don’t work with jerks, and don’t work for a jerk”.
BogleFan510

Post by BogleFan510 »

Normchad wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 12:25 pm
8foot7 wrote: Sat Sep 25, 2021 9:15 am Perhaps I am too stubborn or unyielding but I find being lied to the pinnacle of disrespect. I understand there are some things I cannot know. I understand there is always more to a story in a corporate environment. But darn it, if you promise me something and I rely on that promise, and then you try not to deliver it—I’m out. I simply won’t accept being lied to, especially about something so critical as my compensation. I won’t tolerate it, and I won’t work for a company that treats its employees that way.

Good luck in any event.
I’m 100% with you here. It is very disrespectful and I wouldn’t willingly tolerate it either.

Edited for family language, but I quote I like. “Don’t be a jerk, don’t work with jerks, and don’t work for a jerk”.
Agreed. But sometimes jerks are smart and make money. I would say, be wise and assess the cost benefit of engaging in tactics and watch one's back. Swimming with sharks is tolerable with a harpoon and shark cage.

In this case, the harpoon is a strong ally network and sharp resume, the cage, one's personal path to financial independence, well on its way.