Looking for confirmation that simplification is OK.

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
manlymatt83

Looking for confirmation that simplification is OK.

Post by manlymatt83 »

I’m as 37 year old former individual stock picker turned index investor. I love how simple buying VTWAX is on every new deposit without having to think about it.

However, finances in other areas of my life are still a little complicated. I have like 7 credit cards in my wallet and optimize each purchase based on which card earns the most points, etc. I definitely don’t lose money - last year I calculated a few thousand extra in rewards and I don’t buy things I wouldn’t have bought otherwise - but it also seems to get exhausting having to track everything and optimize everything.

Same thing with buying something in a store. If I need something, I google for the best price. Optimizing in price at the expense of simplicity.

Curious if anyone has been in my shoes, and woken up one day to say “I’m done. Just going to simplify. One credit card for most purchases, and no longer going to worry about constant price optimization.” If so, what did that transition look like for you and how have you felt since?
Mike Scott

Re: Looking for confirmation that simplification is OK.

Post by Mike Scott »

Simplicity has some charm but it will cost you real $$ as you know. Do what works for you, not what random people on the internet suggest.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

manlymatt83 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:12 pm I’m as 37 year old former individual stock picker turned index investor. I love how simple buying VTWAX is on every new deposit without having to think about it.

However, finances in other areas of my life are still a little complicated. I have like 7 credit cards in my wallet and optimize each purchase based on which card earns the most points, etc. I definitely don’t lose money - last year I calculated a few thousand extra in rewards and I don’t buy things I wouldn’t have bought otherwise - but it also seems to get exhausting having to track everything and optimize everything.

Same thing with buying something in a store. If I need something, I google for the best price. Optimizing in price at the expense of simplicity.

Curious if anyone has been in my shoes, and woken up one day to say “I’m done. Just going to simplify. One credit card for most purchases, and no longer going to worry about constant price optimization.” If so, what did that transition look like for you and how have you felt since?
Just simple enough, but not too simple seems to work for me.

We each get to decide how much effort we wish to expend on making and saving money. Some work harder at it than others.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
little_star

Post by little_star »

Simplification is absolutely ok. One way to think about this is that your time (and brain power) is worth something too. If you have sufficient funds, you should prioritize doing things that you find enjoyable. The additional expense (lost savings) of using just one card that provides reasonable rewards based on your typical spending habits is relatively minor. If doing so frees up your time (no more tracking!), that expense may be completely justifiable. On the other hand, if you enjoy the challenge of maximizing your returns, then the extra complication is fine too.
MrJedi

Post by MrJedi »

Credit card optimization for a bunch of categories is not worth it IMO. We've basically cut down to a grocery card and everything else card. Having a different card for every category is too much to carry and worry about. For example, let's say you spend $200 on gas per month and you can maximize with a 5% category card vs a run of the mill 2% everything card, you come out ahead by $6 for the month....yawn.

If you want to put more effort into credit cards to get value, I actually find it much less work to occasionally sign up for a new card with a large sign up bonus and just use that card exclusively for a few months. No cards to juggle constantly (rotate a couple times a year instead of day to day), and the sign up bonuses dwarf any ongoing spend earnings.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Simplification is definitely Ok. Sounds like you are driving yourself near nuts with all this "optimization". To what end? It does not sound like it is improving the quality of your life any. Probably the opposite.

You don't have to cut back to only 1 card unless you just want to. I find it handy to have a few - one used only on the internet, one I carry with me, one is a spare. Every year or two when my internet card gets compromised, everything does not have to come to a halt. I just insert the spare card into the internet slot and let the replacement card become the spare. I think of this as "simple with backup".

Not sure how to overcome the shopping optimization compulsion. I never had that one. The closest I come to that is wondering if this object is worth the price they want me to pay. Just worth it to me, not cheaper or more expensive than some other item. That is usually pretty easy to answer.
invest4

Post by invest4 »

Time is valuable...do what makes the most sense to you / is enough. Personally, I would also find the credit card bit exhausting. I choose one card that gives me the best bang for the buck and one as a backup / for the kids too young for their own yet. As far as price optimization, it is all relative to the overall cost. Going on a family vacation, buying a car, computer, etc...I spend a reasonable amount of time on it. Small stuff (however you wish to define it)..meh. YMMV.
shess

Post by shess »

I find that it helps to calculate both relative percentage values for things, and also likely absolute values.

So, for instance, let's say that I have an optimization which could get me 3% on gas purchases rather than my primary 2% card, at the cost of carrying an additional card. So I calculate my yearly gas purchases, let's say $3000. So I can save $30/year on gas using this change. Then I circle back and look at costs. I'd have to carry another card, but I like having a thin wallet. My wife probably won't play the game, so maybe I only save half as much (or I have to monitor gas levels and aggressively refill her vehicle). What if the kids fill up the tank (hahahah)? And so on. In this case, I'd say I'd be lucky to net $10/year, and frankly I wouldn't even share my credit information with a new card company to get that.

For us, this means we've got an Amazon card (5%, just set it as your card on Amazon and you don't have to mess with it), a 2% card for most spending (Citi double-cash MC), and a couple other 1% cards which we basically have because I'm too lazy to get rid of them (they have long history and decent credit limits). I should flip one of those to a 2% VISA so I can cleanup after awhile, but, again, lazy.

Of course, YMMV. But my guess is that with 7 cards and "a few thousand in savings", if you look at it you can easily find three cards which are only netting you like $50 apiece. I'd drop those cards in a heartbeat.
RickBoglehead

Post by RickBoglehead »

I expect we'll get more complex with credit cards, not less, as long as it easy. For example, gas is always Costco Visa. Simple.

Warranties are also Costco Visa, which adds 2 years.

Some aren't as easy. Right now we are putting nearly everything on two Chase Sapphire Preferred cards trying to hit a combined $8,000 in spend in 3 months to get 200,000 total points.

And if travel ever gets back to normal, Southwest's card with free partner travel might be interesting.
Avid user of forums on variety of interests-financial, home brewing, F-150, EV, home repair, etc. Enjoy learning & passing on knowledge. It's PRINCIPAL, not PRINCIPLE. I ADVISE you to seek ADVICE.
Topic Author
manlymatt83

Post by manlymatt83 »

Thank you! Super helpful.
celia

Post by celia »

I'm looking at "simplification" in all areas of my life, now that we're retired. I think, if I die, will my executor/trustee be able to tie up loose ends easily? Will they even know where to look?

PS. After you've had the experience of cleaning up somebody else's estate, it will all make sense to you.
:sharebeer
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.
Topic Author
manlymatt83

Post by manlymatt83 »

celia wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:58 pm I'm looking at "simplification" in all areas of my life, now that we're retired. I think, if I die, will my executor/trustee be able to tie up loose ends easily? Will they even know where to look?

PS. After you've had the experience of cleaning up somebody else's estate, it will all make sense to you.
I am actually going through that now with my girlfriends father who just recently passed. Exactly why I want to do this! Even closed old credit card accounts I never use even though I know that’s “bad”.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

manlymatt83 wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 8:01 pm...Even closed old credit card accounts I never use even though I know that’s “bad”.
It's only "bad" in that it potentially lowers your credit score, which only matters if you're trying to borrow money. If you're thinking about getting a mortgage anytime soon it might impact your ability to get the best possible rate. Outside of that it's a liability, another account you have to monitor to make sure nothing fraudulent is going on. To me, closing the account is "good".
I close credit accounts I'm not using, I've seen it lower my credit score a few points, it goes from "excellent" to some lower number on the scale of "excellent", then gradually goes back up over time.
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
Bogle7

Post by Bogle7 »

Some people love gaming the system.
Some people love simplification.
Some people don't give a damn.
Do what works for you.
Old fart who does three index stock funds, baby.
muffins14

Post by muffins14 »

Amazon prime visa and then 2% cash back fidelity visa for everything else.

I decided the best way to save money is to buy less, rather than to optimize points games
Crom laughs at your Four Winds
LTCM

Post by LTCM »

I think this is known as FOBO. Fear Of Better Options. I have it a bit.

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2019 ... mas-turkey
55% VUG - 20% VEA - 20% EDV - 5% BNDX
FOGU

Post by FOGU »

Since you are looking for confirmation, I will give it to you.

Make sure the big rocks are in the jar, then you can put the little ones in the jar, or scatter them in your garden. They make little difference after the big rocks are in.

Simplification. Non-attachment. You are hereby confirmed.
Mlm

Post by Mlm »

celia wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 7:58 pm I'm looking at "simplification" in all areas of my life, now that we're retired. I think, if I die, will my executor/trustee be able to tie up loose ends easily? Will they even know where to look?

Amen to this. Having been an executor once myself I realize the burden that I could be putting on others. In the name of the simplification I am disposing of things that may have been a good deal in the past. Sometimes “good enough” let you sleep better.
Mary
Topic Author
manlymatt83

Post by manlymatt83 »

FOGU wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:59 pm Since you are looking for confirmation, I will give it to you.

Make sure the big rocks are in the jar, then you can put the little ones in the jar, or scatter them in your garden. They make little difference after the big rocks are in.

Simplification. Non-attachment. You are hereby confirmed.
🙏
neverpanic

Post by neverpanic »

manlymatt83 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:12 pm I definitely don’t lose money - last year I calculated a few thousand extra in rewards
but it also seems to get exhausting having to track everything and optimize everything.
How much is your time worth? Mine is worth a lot and it's getting more expensive as I get older.

AMEX, Chase United Club, Costco Visa have been more than enough for me and the only reason I'm keeping the Chase card open is my obsession with having a high credit limit that I will never actually use. :oops:
I am not a financial professional or guru. I'm a schmuck who got lucky 10 times. Such is the life of the trader.
Topic Author
manlymatt83

Post by manlymatt83 »

LTCM wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 10:35 pm I think this is known as FOBO. Fear Of Better Options. I have it a bit.

https://www.theguardian.com/global/2019 ... mas-turkey
Really interesting article. Thanks for sharing!
Topic Author
manlymatt83

Post by manlymatt83 »

neverpanic wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 12:21 pm
manlymatt83 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:12 pm I definitely don’t lose money - last year I calculated a few thousand extra in rewards
but it also seems to get exhausting having to track everything and optimize everything.
How much is your time worth? Mine is worth a lot and it's getting more expensive as I get older.

AMEX, Chase United Club, Costco Visa have been more than enough for me and the only reason I'm keeping the Chase card open is my obsession with having a high credit limit that I will never actually use. :oops:
Agreed. I am not optimizing my time by chasing CC optimization, at least prior to today. Moving forward I will be.
hvaclorax

Post by hvaclorax »

OP,
I am surprised that this article about simplifying life has devolved into a credit card contest.
Respectfully, HVAC
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

manlymatt83 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:12 pm Curious if anyone has been in my shoes, and woken up one day to say “I’m done. Just going to simplify. One credit card for most purchases, and no longer going to worry about constant price optimization.” If so, what did that transition look like for you and how have you felt since?
How are you doing financially? If you have a decent net worth or high savings rate, I would definitely opt for simplicity.

I was in your shoes too and now just have one credit card. Not one credit card for most purchases, but one credit card for all purchases. I'm perfectly happy with 2% back. The light went off for me when I became less concerned about my finances and would rather save the time and eliminate the hassle, than earn some extra rewards.
iamblessed

Post by iamblessed »

ThankYouJack wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:49 pm
manlymatt83 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:12 pm Curious if anyone has been in my shoes, and woken up one day to say “I’m done. Just going to simplify. One credit card for most purchases, and no longer going to worry about constant price optimization.” If so, what did that transition look like for you and how have you felt since?
How are you doing financially? If you have a decent net worth or high savings rate, I would definitely opt for simplicity.

I was in your shoes too and now just have one credit card. Not one credit card for most purchases, but one credit card for all purchases. I'm perfectly happy with 2% back. The light went off for me when I became less concerned about my finances and would rather save the time and eliminate the hassle, than earn some extra rewards.
That is what I did.
lws

Post by lws »

Simplification is good:

Reduced the number of credit cards and financial institutions.

Getting rid of all items that does not move me. (Another trip to Goodwill tomorrow.)

Have a death/disability bag. All relevant documents in it. Including safe deposit keys. Loved ones know what's in it and where to find it.

Got rid of all cars except one.

Feels so good :D
Topic Author
manlymatt83

Post by manlymatt83 »

ThankYouJack wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 5:49 pm

Am doing OK financially. Since I made this post, I've removed a lot of cards from my wallet, and am now just using three: one for dining, one for travel (which I do a lot of), and the rest on a 2% back card. I anticipate I will simplify even further in time.
Topic Author
manlymatt83

Post by manlymatt83 »

lws wrote: Sun Sep 26, 2021 7:36 pm Simplification is good:

Reduced the number of credit cards and financial institutions.

Getting rid of all items that does not move me. (Another trip to Goodwill tomorrow.)

Have a death/disability bag. All relevant documents in it. Including safe deposit keys. Loved ones know what's in it and where to find it.

Got rid of all cars except one.

Feels so good :D
Love the simplicity.

I have also been giving away a ton of stuff. Everything I own except furniture can now fit in the trunk of a car if it needed to. Feels great!
dcabler

Post by dcabler »

Simplicity is in the eye of the beholder. Sounds like the OP has already identified some items that will be of benefit.
What we have done.
1. credit cards. We have 3 and are about to ditch 1. One is a Visa through our credit union and it's the main workhorse and includes Cash Back - That happens in December and I usually use it to fund Christmas presents. Another is an AMEX card - mainly because I have never had a single issue using it when traveling overseas, which we like to do. Can't say that about any other card, except a card provided by work. The third one is now redundant.
2. Investments. Most of what we have is at Fidelity: My IRA, Her IRA, Our Taxable account, Our HSA, a deferred comp account from a previous employer. My current 401K is at Vanguard but I'll roll it over to Fidelity when I'm done here. We did have a taxable account at Vanguard for a while but ditched it a few years ago just to declutter/simplify. The deferred comp pays its last check next Feb and then it's closed. We also each have TD accounts.

I was in between jobs a number of years ago and had time on my hands. I went through all of our expenses and I was able to reduce many of them without affecting our lifestyle. Looked at things like mobile phone plans, insurance coverage, electricity usage. For electricity usage I was able to find some hotspots in our ceiling where insulation was inadequate and took care of it. Also I was running the pool pump for way too many hours per day. Replaced all bulbs with LEDs. All pretty easy stuff which netted us about $75 per month in savings during the summer.

We still have 3 cars: mine, hers, and our daughter's who is off at college. My wife is way overdue to replace hers. Daughter's is an old car of mine and should last until she graduates next year.

Next up: retirement and downsizing which will include getting rid of a lot of "stuff". That will be harder for DW than for me and it will take longer than I expect because of it.

cheers.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

The older I get--or perhaps the more children I have :oops: :D --the more I tend toward simplicity.
At this point we put everything on either an Amex platinum or a Wells Fargo 2% rebate Visa card. I have an active 401k, my wife has an active 401k, and we both have rollover and Roth IRAs. I also have a taxable brokerage account. I have a checking and savings account, as does she. That is about as simple as we can make it at this point.
With 4 children, 3 jobs (2 for me and 1 for wife), we find ourselves running into our Personal Decision Limits - that point in the day when you just don't give a damn anymore and want someone else to decide something - almost daily. I could not want less the problem of deciding or decoding which of 7 credit cards to use at Chick-fil-a on a Tuesday evening in the third quarter of rotating points.
UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy »

Simplification is ok, but don't try to impose simplification on others. Simplification isn't a better approach, just a different approach.
dcd72

Post by dcd72 »

manlymatt83 wrote: Sun Aug 15, 2021 1:12 pm I’m as 37 year old former individual stock picker turned index investor. I love how simple buying VTWAX is on every new deposit without having to think about it.

Re credit cards, we have 4, which is still to many for me, but I can't really see how to get rid of any more.

- Costco cash-back card, which is our primary day to day card. It is essentially a free cash-back card, since it's the same price as a Costco membership.
- BOA cash back card that was my wife's first card, and which she wants to keep because it's in her name. We use this for all online purchases, and don't carry it with us. This has the added benefits of (i) if one of our wallets is stolen, not all cards are compromised, and (ii) if the BOA card is compromised, we still have our primary card.
- Amazon card, which provides 5% back on amazon purchases. I'd like this to replace the BOA card as our online purchase card, but as I said, my wife wants to keep the BOA card.
- Delta Skymiles card, which provides for free checked bags when we go skiing, so it actually saves us money each year.

Beyond that, I don't try to optimize rewards, other than using the Delta card for Delta purchases. The energy spent just isn't worth it.
cjcerny

Post by cjcerny »

I have one credit card with cash based rewards. Closed all the other accounts. Didn’t sweat the fact that my credit score took a hit for a while. To me, simple means less chance to forget something or to make a mistake. I only use the card when I need purchase protection. Otherwise, I pay cash.
H-Town

Post by H-Town »

Everyone needs a hobby. I understand the joy of getting "free money" from credit cards/coupon clippings/bonus from bank. The money is not significant, but it's a hobby so who to judge.

I don't use or carry around that many credit cards. Once I got the bonus, they are dumped into the shredder.

I only have 3 long-term use credit card: 1) AMEX blue cash preferred for 6% groceries and 3% gas; 2) Chase Freedom unlimited for 3% restaurant and 1.5% everyday purchases; 2) Chase Freedom for 5% bonus on quarterly rotary categories.
Time is the ultimate currency.
JayDee37

Post by JayDee37 »

Here's another vote for considering the value of your time and the mental energy you put in to all this. I have very limited bandwidth for these types of things, and it improves my quality of life to let it go. Having and keeping to a budget and clear savings/investing goals is much more impactful to my overall financial health.
Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? | ~Mary Oliver
AnnetteLouisan

Post by AnnetteLouisan »

Yes. Check out the books voluntary simplicity and Simplify Your Life. I have one amex and a few bank cards. Simplicity is it. Check out 365 Tao Daily Meditations. I simplified and things improved a lot.
hoffse

Post by hoffse »

My husband and I have a lot more cards than you, but I am slowly starting to simplify as well. I have a 12-month plan to move from about 18 cards currently to closer to 6-8 (of which only a few are used frequently). Part of this, however, is dependent on what happens with the BOA rewards in November. Changes are coming, but they haven't been fully announced yet.

If the BOA rewards don't meaningfully change for people at the $100K level, then I will keep the following cards:

-BOA premium rewards - 2.625% back on everything. Our very large purchases go on this card - most notably federal income tax, daycare, and various licensing/conference fees that are reimbursed. In 2022 I estimate that we will run about $150K through this card.

-BOA cash cards x 2 - both set to online shopping for 5.25% back in that category at any online merchant (only one lives in my wallet at a time)

-BOA AAA card - 5.25% back on all travel and 3.5% back on gas, groceries, and Costco with no quarterly cap/limit.

-Amazon card - 5% back at Amazon because we spend enough money there that it's worth having it's own card so I don't bump up against the quarterly limits with BOA. Physical card lives in my desk.

-AmEx Plat - used by my husband almost exclusively for the travel perks. We mostly break even on it (some years come out a little ahead), but we really hold it for the soft perks and not the rewards. It lives in his desk except when traveling for business.

-Fidelity 2% card - it's my oldest card and the ultimate backup for when BOA gets nerfed at some point. It also lives in my desk.

Cards we will close over the next year:

-Target 5% off card - we don't shop in store enough for this to be a huge savings for us anymore, and for Target online I can use BOA.

-Pottery Barn card - gives me 10% back on all things PB, PBK, and Williams Sonoma. I actually use this card a fair amount, but they just switched card issuers, and I'm pretty sure the rewards are being downgraded to 5% in about a year, so it will no longer beat the BOA cards. I'll close it next fall once that happens.

-Costco card - it gives me 4% back on gas, but I hate Citi with a passion, and the extra half a percent on gas is not worth keeping this open.

-US Bank 5% card - I use this for utilities, but it only gives me an additional $10/month or so in rewards vs. using my BOA premium card. Probably not worth it.

-Discover card - I only ever break it out when paypal is a rotating category, which happens one quarter per year. It's easy to use, but I value simplification more.

-7 different Chase cards between us - I'm pretty much done with UR. I'm spending down the points right now on Pay Yourself Back. I may enter that ecosystem again when our kids are older, but we have a 3YO and one on the way. While UR was AWESOME in our pre-kid life, I am finding that with young kids cash is king, and I just don't get value out of point transfers anymore. It's much more important we time flights with naps than fly on points.

So I will no longer be optimizing every single category, but at this point our largest expenses (taxes, daycare, etc.) so far outweigh things like "internet" that having separate cards for every little thing is just not worth it to me anymore.