Any Revolut users here?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
huzaing

Any Revolut users here?

Post by huzaing »

Hi,

A few years ago I heard of this financial firm, Revolut, supposedly popular in Europe. There were going to launch in US and had a long waitlist.
Looks like they are now active in US as well.

Question if anyone here is using it:
Does it have any good use-case?
Any unique benefit to using Revolut, either locally or for international travel?

Thanks.
Last edited by huzaing on Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
MBB_Boy

Re: Any Revolut users here?

Post by MBB_Boy »

No - multiple companies in the US with the same or better value prop. They don't bring anything to the table here, and their U.S. expansion is basically doomed to failure like the other European banks that just announced their departures (BBVA, HSBC, etc)
Topic Author
huzaing

Post by huzaing »

MBB_Boy wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:07 am No - multiple companies in the US with the same or better value prop. They don't bring anything to the table here, and their U.S. expansion is basically doomed to failure like the other European banks that just announced their departures (BBVA, HSBC, etc)
Okay, thanks. I heard a lot of hype about this, but wasn't really able to figure out a decent use case for Revolut. I'm curious why are they even spending all the money and effort to expand in the U.S. if there aren't good reasons for people to switch to or use it.

HSBC, really? So their U.S. credit cards will go away you think?
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

huzaing wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:05 am...I heard a lot of hype about this...
Where is being hyped? I never heard of it until you mentioned it.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Topic Author
huzaing

Post by huzaing »

nisiprius wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:58 pm
huzaing wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:05 am...I heard a lot of hype about this...
Where is being hyped? I never heard of it until you mentioned it.
Several years ago when I first heard about it. There was a long waitlist to apply.
starboi

Post by starboi »

They let you invest in something that we're not allowed to discuss on this forum. But there are already other Fintechs that do that here like Sofi, Robinhood, Cash App.
MBB_Boy

Post by MBB_Boy »

huzaing wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:05 am
MBB_Boy wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:07 am No - multiple companies in the US with the same or better value prop. They don't bring anything to the table here, and their U.S. expansion is basically doomed to failure like the other European banks that just announced their departures (BBVA, HSBC, etc)
Okay, thanks. I heard a lot of hype about this, but wasn't really able to figure out a decent use case for Revolut. I'm curious why are they even spending all the money and effort to expand in the U.S. if there aren't good reasons for people to switch to or use it.

Largest economy in the world by far. Why wouldn't they try? Moreover, we are unique in having over 5,000 banks and a fragmented market, where other developed countries often have double digits, and 3 that are like 80% or more market share. In other words, Americans are used to having options and are willing to give something new a try
Topic Author
huzaing

Post by huzaing »

MBB_Boy wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:49 am
huzaing wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 11:05 am

Largest economy in the world by far. Why wouldn't they try? Moreover, we are unique in having over 5,000 banks and a fragmented market, where other developed countries often have double digits, and 3 that are like 80% or more market share. In other words, Americans are used to having options and are willing to give something new a try
Makes sense. Thank you.

I consider this question as answered.