Diagnosed with cataract, seeking your advise/ experience

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
life-kingsize

Diagnosed with cataract, seeking your advise/ experience

Post by life-kingsize »

I am recently diagnosed with cataract in my left eye. I freaked out when informed, given I'm just 52 Y!
Now I have couple of decisions to make. Seeking advise from Bogleheads.Thanks in advance.
1. Type of lens- I'm leaning towards multi focal lens, additional cost of $2500 per eye .
2. cost of surgery -My HSA Anthem plan has 6k out of pocket max. I'm told total cost for 2 eyes will be $4,700. With Lens total cost will be ~$9,700
3.Surgery date available is oct.1 for left eye and oct.15 for right eye
My questions,
1.Your experience with Multi focal lens. Any preferred brand ? As you get older, does the eye sight change? What is your recovery time after surgery?
2. My company has HMO Kaiser plan with 3k out of pocket max. and allows FSA of $2,700 which can be used for vision/dental. Should I postpone the surgery to Jan.2022 to take advantage of HMO plan and FSA?
Rex66

Re: Diagnosed with cataract, seeking your advise/ experience

Post by Rex66 »

This is the wrong forum

Get another opinion from another doctor if desired
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: Diagnosed with cataract, seeking your advise/ experience

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (seeking medical advice). See: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes a list of their top recommended sites.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.