Social Security Documents - Local Office Closed

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
drzzzzz

Social Security Documents - Local Office Closed

Post by drzzzzz »

Hi
The local social security office is closed and I need to get a certified marriage certificate to them to help my father get survivor benefits. They sent me an envelope to return and was wondering if others have had good/bad experiences about mailing this back (either regular mail or registered) or possibly using a dropbox that social security has at a different office in the area. In a more normal time, I would just bring it in, but that option is not available. thanks
JoeRetire

Re: Social Security Documents - Local Office Closed

Post by JoeRetire »

I'm not sure why you would be concerned about using the envelope they provided.
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
Topic Author
drzzzzz

Post by drzzzzz »

JoeRetire wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:28 pm I'm not sure why you would be concerned about using the envelope they provided.
The envelope is fine, but registered provides some tracking information that it arrived.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

All the information on a marriage certificate is public information. What's the concern if they don't receive it other than having to try a second time?

Post by 123 »

USPS works best and fastest with routine mail, like the envelope they sent you to use.

If you add anything to the process, like registered or certified mail, or you use an alternate envelope it is only likely to slow things down or gum up the works for a thousand reasons. Keep it simple.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
JoeRetire

Post by JoeRetire »

drzzzzz wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:31 pm
JoeRetire wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:28 pm I'm not sure why you would be concerned about using the envelope they provided.
The envelope is fine, but registered provides some tracking information that it arrived.
(shrug)

So if you are concerned about tracking the document, just send it registered?

I suspect I'm missing something here, since I don't see a big dilemma...
This isn't just my wallet. It's an organizer, a memory and an old friend.
urban

Post by urban »

Do you have other open SSA offices at a reasonable driving distance?
Topic Author
drzzzzz

Post by drzzzzz »

urban wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:40 pm Do you have other open SSA offices at a reasonable driving distance?
No they are all closed. Just trying to avoid an important document from getting lost since obtaining a new certified copy from another state office during covid will likely be a lengthy hassle should this not get to where it needs to be.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

My local office only recently reopened for document drop-off only using a box in the lobby (you can't see a real person or get past the lobby) for 1 hour on business days. Apparently exhaustive research has revealed that even the most vicious Covid variants don't propagate readily between 9:30am and 10:30am CDT every business day.

I used the drop off for my social security card replacement and the process was indeed handled promptly after I dropped off the required documents, so I appreciated that.

Of course then you have the issue of the documents being returned by USmail, so you're only dodging mail hazards in one direction. Fortunately for me it turned out I was able to replace my social security card without needing any difficult-to-replace documents. I didn't understand that from reading the website documentation until it was explained to me by a social security rep on the phone.
grok87

Post by grok87 »

drzzzzz wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:03 pm
urban wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 6:40 pm Do you have other open SSA offices at a reasonable driving distance?
No they are all closed. Just trying to avoid an important document from getting lost since obtaining a new certified copy from another state office during covid will likely be a lengthy hassle should this not get to where it needs to be.
you may want to read this article
https://www.govexec.com/oversight/2021/ ... ts/184231/
i think your concerns are valid. don't have a solution though
good luck

cheers,
grok
RIP Mr. Bogle.
Kingghoti

Post by Kingghoti »

drzzzzz wrote: Tue Aug 03, 2021 2:31 pm
Registered mail is kept under lock and key and everyone that touches along the way it has to sign. I’ve used for things like safe-deposit keys that would be a real pain if lost. Certified provides proof of mailing when it’s inserted in the mail stream and gets tracking data along the way. I wouldn’t use registered unless the certificate is well nigh irreplaceable or a huge hassle to replace. Maybe that’s the case per your posts.

Tracking is nice though. It gives some confidence the item wasn’t lost but then so would the SSA responding to it and resolving the issue. Best wishes on getting this straightened out for your dad. Good on ya’
BigPrince

Post by BigPrince »

My dad recently had to send in his passport and it got there and was returned timely.