Moving To Texas - Need State Bank and/or Financial Institution Recommendation

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
MalachiteMan

Moving To Texas - Need State Bank and/or Financial Institution Recommendation

Post by MalachiteMan »

Hello All,

I am planning to move to Texas within the next 6-12 months and would like to establish a new banking relationship with either a bank chartered in Texas and/or other financial institution located in Texas. The purpose of which would be to have a checking account and to secure a home mortgage at some point with a Texas-based institution.

I do not want to use any big box banks (BofA, Chase, etc). I would appreciate any recommendations you may have based on your own relationships with financial institutions based in Texas.
tj

Re: Moving To Texas - Need State Bank and/or Financial Institution Recommendation

Post by tj »

I'm sure you can find a credit union in whichever part of Texas you are going to.
KineticSync

Re: Moving To Texas - Need State Bank and/or Financial Institution Recommendation

Post by KineticSync »

RBFCU credit union out of San Antonio is gradually opening branches across the state and seems to have a good rep. We're thinking about switching to them since they built a branch near us in Dallas.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

Where in Texas? It is a big state, you know.

In Amarillo, Amarillo National Bank is the main player and I’d guess at least 70% of the residents there use them in some way.

Happy State Bank is in the Panhandle, but more concentrated slightly south of Amarillo.

Not sure what the dominant bank in Lubbock is. Plains maybe.

And so it goes.

Need more details, really.

But I will say that I like Frost Bank, but they aren’t everywhere in Texas. I don’t know where they are chartered, but they are definitely Texas based. Seem to have gotten a bit fee happy lately, but you can get around that with some money at the bank.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Wells Fargo, Bank of America, Chase, Citibank, and all other national banks are represented here. We use WellsFargo which has provided everything for us for free for decades including free checks, no fee ATMs, no fee international ATM, free accounts, a free no-commission investment account and superb brokerage platform. I am sure you know of the past news about Wells Fargo, but none of that ever affected us.

Even if you secure a mortgage with a Texas-based institution, I think there is a high probability that it will be sold to Wells Fargo Home Mortgage which will become the servicer of your mortgage.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.